PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Espers (Race: Avatar of the Ancient Deities)(Final Fantasy Summons)

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-11, 08:16 PM
Esper Traits and Abilities

Ability Score Increase: +2 Wisdom, +1 to one other ability score

Size: Medium. Espers are roughly the same height as humans but some espers take on extremely different appearances. Ifrit is known to look more like a mix between human and a demon jackal.

Age: As Human. Many espers are born to human parents and don't show any signs (outside wisdom beyond their years) of being an esper until they hit puberty where they regain the knowledge of their past lives and gain their new appearances. An esper always feels as if they always knew and the transformation doesn't bother them.

Darkvision

Esper Blood: You gain resistance to the corresponding damage type of your true name. For example if your true name is Ramuh, then you have resistance to electricity.

Worldly Connection: Due to your connection to the world you have proficiency in the Nature skill.

True Name: You have feint memories of all your past lives and know that you are an avatar of an ancient deity. At character creation choose which Ancient Deity you are the Esper for. Only one Esper of each deity exists at one time. You also gain a cantrip usable at will and an overdrive spell that you may use 1/day at level 3 and 2/day at level 7

Shiva [Cold]: Your normal body temperature is 50 degrees and your skin is pale blue.

Chill Touch @ Lv.1
Inflict Wounds (deals Cold damage) 1/day @ Lv.3
Inflict Wounds (deals Cold damage) 2/day @ Lv.7

Ramuh [Lightning]: You are bald and have yellow eyes. Any other hair you grow is white.

Shocking Grasp @ Lv.1
Thunderweave 1/day @ Lv.3
Thunderweave 2/day @ Lv.7

Ifrit [Fire]: Your skin is shaded red and your normal body temperature is 120 degrees.

Firebolt @ Lv.1
Flaming Sphere 1/day @ Lv.3
Flaming Sphere 2/day @ Lv.7

Doomtrain [Poison]: Your skin is a tint of purple. Your breath faintly smells of of a poison of your choice (if you chose a poison with no smell then it smells faintly of almonds). This smell is not harmful.

Poison Spray @ Lv.1
Ray of Sickness 1/day @ Lv.3
Ray of Sickness 2/day @ Lv.7

Carbuncle [Psychic]: Your skin is a pale green and you have a small red ruby on your forehead between your eyebrows.

Vicious Mockery @ Lv.1
Charm Person 1/day @ Lv.3
Charm Person 2/day @ Lv.7

Titan [Bludgeoning]: Your skin looks like cracked earth and you always smell of earth and trees.

Shillelagh @ Lv.1
Entangle 1/day @ Lv.3
Entangle 2/day @ Lv.7

Neo Bahamut [Force]: You have red scales on parts of your body as if you were part dragonborn. You smell of dragons.

Eldritch Blast @ Lv.1
Magic Missile 1/day @ Lv.3
Magic Missile 2/day @ Lv.7

Alexander [Radiant]: Your skin is as soft as normal but parts of you look like gears and machinery. At first glance one may assume you are part warforged but upon inspection they see you are not bionic at all. When you breath heavily it sounds like steam from an engine (if in a setting without engines you know the word but can't grasp what it means)

Sacred Flame @ Lv.1
Guiding Bolt 1/day @ Lv.3
Guiding Bolt 2/day @ Lv.7

Diablo [Necrotic]: Your eyes are red and...

Sacred Flame (Deals Necrotic Damage) @ Lv.1
Guiding Bolt (Deals Necrotic Damage) 1/day @ Lv.3
Guiding Bolt (Deals Necrotic Damage) 2/day @ Lv.7

Not mine but these show you what the original espers look like so you can make your own representation.

If you google search the names... Well sometimes you can get things that you don't want to come up. I'm now scarred for life cause I saw a very revealing Shiva cosplay being done by a fat creepy dude...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100206114439/finalfantasy/images/b/b6/8b-shiva.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120521173331/finalfantasy/images/8/8b/FFIX_Ramuh.png

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110608222415/finalfantasy/images/thumb/0/02/Ffviii-ifrit.jpg/479px-Ffviii-ifrit.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140310013804/finalfantasy/images/thumb/5/52/Doomtrain-ffviii.png/480px-Doomtrain-ffviii.png

http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/8/carbuncle.png

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121215203413/finalfantasy/images/thumb/e/ef/Titan_%28FFXI%29.png/480px-Titan_%28FFXI%29.png

Neo Bahamut: Do I really need to put anything here? I mean, yeash the game is Dungeons and Dragons after all...

bloodshed343
2014-12-11, 09:05 PM
You should add that wisdom is your spellcasting ability for those cantrips. Darkvision should have a range.

Another spell-like ability would also be in order, since Tiefling gets fire resistance, a cantrip, two spells, and Darkvision. Since you have a choice of cantrips and resistances, your a little better, but you should still have at least one spell.

How about Mage Armor at level 3? Or Find Familar? Find Familiar might be a little powerful, but you could limit it to a particular familiar based on your true self. Titan might give you a pet rock, for instance.

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-11, 10:02 PM
You should add that wisdom is your spellcasting ability for those cantrips. Darkvision should have a range.

Another spell-like ability would also be in order, since Tiefling gets fire resistance, a cantrip, two spells, and Darkvision. Since you have a choice of cantrips and resistances, your a little better, but you should still have at least one spell.

How about Mage Armor at level 3? Or Find Familar? Find Familiar might be a little powerful, but you could limit it to a particular familiar based on your true self. Titan might give you a pet rock, for instance.

Actually, totally meant to add in the wisdom part :smallredface:. Thanks!

I was going to give the player a choice between Druidcraft and Thuamaturgy.

You know, so that they can be all "I am a god!" and flare up however they see fit.

Something like this...

2 cantrips

Depending on your true self you may cast the following spell 1/day at 3rd level and 2/day at 7th level. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Shiva: Inflict Wounds (Cold Damage)
Rahmu: Thunderwave
Ifrit: Burning Hands
Doomtrain: Ray of Sickness
Carbuncle: Charm Person
Titan: Entangle

Or not give them 1st level spells and give them this ability.

Deity Casting: Choose one class that doesn't use wisdom as their spell casting ability. If you take levels in that class you may use wisdom for spell casting.

I+++

I feel like option 1 may be too much if I give them the second cantrip. Option two, while very nice, might be a bit much also.

Leuku
2014-12-11, 10:08 PM
Deity Casting: Choose one class that doesn't use wisdom as their spell casting ability. If you take levels in that class you may use wisdom for spell casting.

Nooooo. Don't do that. That would be explicitly game-breaking.

Try proficiency in Religion and maybe True Seeing at some level 1/day, being deity avatars and all.

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-11, 10:37 PM
Nooooo. Don't do that. That would be explicitly game-breaking.

Try proficiency in Religion and maybe True Seeing at some level 1/day, being deity avatars and all.

They wouldn't exactly know religion as they wouldn't worship other deities.

True seeing is rather boring, I prefer to give abilities that will make people go "oooo yes awesome" than "I could see how that can be useful".

Besides true seeing is a 6th level spell. Pretty high level for a racial ability.