PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat urgent rule question. Spell buffs and items

Silva Stormrage
2014-12-11, 10:50 PM
Hey, currently need a rule clarification for a campaign I am running. Do items benefit from ongoing spell effects that target the character. An example would be resist energy (Fire) giving the target's items the fire resistance.

Minor question but its important and no one in the party can find a rule one way or the other.

Jack_Simth
2014-12-11, 10:57 PM
Hey, currently need a rule clarification for a campaign I am running. Do items benefit from ongoing spell effects that target the character. An example would be resist energy (Fire) giving the target's items the fire resistance.

Minor question but its important and no one in the party can find a rule one way or the other.

For the most part, yes. Equipment is only going to be damaged when you're attacked if it's specifically targetted or if you roll a natural 1 (and even then, only one item will be affected, in general). In the specific case of Resist Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistEnergy.htm), explicitly so: "The spell protects the recipient’s equipment as well. "

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-12, 06:23 AM
Most spells where it could be an issue explicitly affect gear as well. IIRC at least Resist Energy, Invisibility and Nondetection have it spelled out (in the PHB).

atemu1234
2014-12-12, 07:59 AM
Yes, it protects equipment. Though to be honest, I wonder sometimes how fire resistance from a creature's inborn nature affects its items. If it stands a chance of burning away everything, then I've been playing wrong for a while.