PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Brewmaster

Naanomi
2014-12-11, 11:13 PM
I am going to be playing a Mountain Dwarf Wizard (Transmuter) in an upcoming game with the concept of being a traveling Brewmaster. Advancement-wise it's a pretty simple run (pure Wizard, bumping Intelligence for most of my career). I'd dip Rogue or Bard if Expertize could support Tool Skills, but since it doesn't it seems better just to stay single class.

Skill-wise, I think History (to know historic brewers), Nature (to know the best ingredients), Investigation (to research new recipes), and Medicine (all dwarves know that beer is the best medicine).

Tools would be useful too, besides the obvious Brewer's Tools; Alchemist, Herbalism, and Poisoner's tools all seem like they'd have application; Woodcarver and Tinker tools may be important for making custom brewing supplies; and Land Vehicles to lug all the brew around from hold to hold. Training these in down-time is the plan, since obviously most don't have a lot of immediate application.

Now background is tricky... Guild Artisan seems the obvious choice, but Sage gives me tools to research recipes. However, I am most inclined to Hermit: only way I can know the 'secret of the ultimate Beer' right off the bat.

Any thoughts or other things I am missing to support the concept?

Felvion
2014-12-12, 01:21 AM
Not much to add. My only objection goes to investigation, i don't think it's appropriate but thats all up to you.
In my eyes (cause these things are always too subjective) you'd be much better with a bard.
Brewing is cool but no magic should be involved so i think a wizard is too nerd for it. On the other hand bard can get expertice in whatever skills you may need the most for this stuff. Also jack of all trades will keep you competitive in all other checks you may need as an adventurer. Anyway, your call, but i find the bard more thematic... You know, the lore, the taverns, a bit of singing, all of the inn-keepers knowing you... It's better to be a bard.:smallamused:

Feldarove
2014-12-12, 01:57 AM
Cool idea. Part of your hermit or sage background could be you've discovered a long last ale recipe, but it requires some very special ingredients or maybe even magical objects to brew. Now you've set out to obtain them.

I'm AFB, so enlightened us, why transmuter wizard? I agree with the above poster, that bard seems the better fit. But its your character, so give it life.

Naanomi
2014-12-12, 08:49 AM
Transmuter has all those alchemist type class abilities, re fluff the stones to beers... This awesome brew is so good it will wake the dead

Felvion
2014-12-12, 09:52 AM
Transmuter has all those alchemist type class abilities, re fluff the stones to beers... This awesome brew is so good it will wake the dead

Mate, you went way too deep on this one! Are your spell choices going to be related with beer brewing too? If yes i'm curious how does your group treat you...

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-12, 09:54 AM
I like the Sage background for this. It gives you the ability to know how and where to research any brewing technique, so literally no brew is beyond your grasp.

For tools, I think Tinkerer is better than woodworker. You can buy barrels anywhere. Your specialty brewing equipment is going to be a lot tougher to come by.

Shining Wrath
2014-12-12, 10:28 AM
I suggest using Artisan as a starting point, work with your DM, and create a Brewer's Apprentice Background.

Which is to say, I think every single background in the PHB is there as an example, and very few players should use one straight out of the box.

Don't get me started on rolling for traits and flaws, mmmmkay?

comk59
2014-12-12, 10:31 AM
Bard definitely seems like a better way to go for this one.

I was a little dissapointed by the lack of an "Expert" NPC class. I have a really good idea for a locksmith character, but without an Expert class, seems pointless. A class like that would've really helped developed character's non-combat development.

badintel
2014-12-12, 10:34 AM
The sage background would be good for finding lost recipes, but I would try and become proficient in persuasion. Persuasion would allow you to get other brewers secret brews that you can then make your own!

badintel
2014-12-12, 10:37 AM
During our last campaign one of our players was a dwarven cleric that brewed for Moradin. We also had a rogue in the party with connections to a large regional thieves guild. Whenever we went into a town, we would purchase a storefront with assistance from the thieves guild. We would set up the brewery in the front and the guild would run their goods through the back. The party would split the profits from the chain of brew pubs (known as Moradin's Hammer..."Come on down and 'Get Hammered!'"

It was nice to know that the guild had a vested interest in protecting our investments while we were out traveling, finding new recipes, and having other awesome adventures.

bloodshed343
2014-12-12, 11:37 AM
There was a thread recently about alternate dwarvish traits involving the procuring and consuming of ale. One of the features we settled on was:

Liquid Courage: As an action, you may chug an ale and gain 1d4+your proficiency bonus temporary hit points. These temporary hit points are cumulative with themselves, up to an amount equal to half your constitution score.

And:

Bar Hopper: you always know the distance and direction to the nearest ale house.

Talk to your dm about swapping these out for, say, armor proficiency.

bloodshed343
2014-12-12, 11:42 AM
Also I have a recipe for an ultimate beverage called the Omniplanar Palate Smasher. It was for a character I was playing who was basically Ford Prefect. I can dig it out and type it up if you're interested.

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-12, 12:33 PM
Omniplanar Palate Smasher.

Sounds hoppy.