PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rule question - Destructive Dispel for area dispel

thejoker15
2014-12-12, 09:29 AM
I have a doubt.
If i use greater dispel magic for "area dispel" against a group of opponents, can i use the feat Destructive Dispel to make all them stunned?

Zanos
2014-12-12, 09:33 AM
When you successfully make a targeted dispel check against an opponent, that opponent must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC equals the DC of the spell used to dispel) or be stunned until the start of your next turn. If the save succeeds, the opponent is instead sickened until the start of your next turn.
necessary text

thejoker15
2014-12-12, 09:36 AM
Exactly.
But in the description of the spell Greater Dispel Magic it's written:
"Roll one dispel check and apply that check to each creature in the area, as if targeted by dispel magic."

So, the group of opponents is considered targeted for the feat?

Psyren
2014-12-12, 09:41 AM
I've FAQ'ed your other thread (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rqwa?Destructive-Dispel-for-area-dispel) because I agree it isn't clear. Keep in mind though that Paizo tends towards the less powerful interpretation, which in this case would be not letting you stun/sicken a roomful of enemies and also dispel their buffs simultaneously.

ericgrau
2014-12-12, 10:14 AM
Except "Targeted Dispel" is a specific type of dispel limited to one target. The area spells has targets but probably isn't what they're referring to. In general targeted effects tend to refer to spells with the line "Target:...". Dispel magic clearly has a "Target or Area:..." line so one must be for the single target version and the other for the area dispel. So the area dispel has targets in the way a fireball has targets, but neither is officially a targeted effect for rules purposes.

Ya and going less crazy with it does make sense too. But that's the rulesy explanation. Targeted spell is different from any old thing that targets just as the Large size category is different from say for example a large bowl.

thejoker15
2014-12-12, 11:07 AM
I've FAQ'ed your other thread (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rqwa?Destructive-Dispel-for-area-dispel) because I agree it isn't clear. Keep in mind though that Paizo tends towards the less powerful interpretation, which in this case would be not letting you stun/sicken a roomful of enemies and also dispel their buffs simultaneously.

As you can see in that forum, there are different opinions...
It is not so clear. Maybe one day someone releases an official answer!