PDA

View Full Version : knock back rule for d20 using the strength score

zoraker
2014-12-12, 11:31 AM
''if a creature/character takes more damage then his strength score, they go flying back 5 ft for every 5 damage they take that exceeds the score, if the creature/character hits a wall, they take 1d6 damage for every 10 feet they were meant to go flying back as if they were falling from that height, the attack must deal strength based damage''

tell me what you all think

Solaris
2014-12-12, 02:56 PM
It strikes me that an opposed Strength check and size modifiers would be a good thing for this sort of thing.

LibraryOgre
2014-12-12, 03:37 PM
Hackmaster has something similar, but it's a flat number based on size... a Medium creature gets knocked back if they take 15 damage (before armor DR), a small creature gets knocks back at 10, and small ones (like Pixie-Faeries) are knocked back at 5. For every multiple that is done, you get knocked back another 5 feet (so doing 20 points of damage to a goblin will knock them back 10 feet, but 5 feet to a hobgoblin).

To the rules you have, I would say that you want more clarity on what "strength based damage" is... does it include a non-strength bow? What about a crossbow? Does it include a fireball, which explodes outward?

Magikeeper
2014-12-12, 07:08 PM
First, what system is this for? It matters.

From the 3.5 perspective: Although this is like a feat that is quite useful in the right hands (the knockback feat), having it always on hurts martials sand buffs casters because it interferes with full attacking. Yes, there is a lot you can do with this if the PC is built for it, but even knockback-using PCs are sometimes in situations where they don't want the opponent to leave their attack range right away. (Also, knockback feat combos with more stuff than this effect does).

Also, remember that some games have most combats take place in spacious areas. Or at least do so often enough that all this might be accomplishing is forcing people to run back into the battle after each blow is dealt (or just running away).

Granted, you could just make this effect optional for the attacker and alleviate all of these concerns.

PrincessCupcake
2014-12-19, 08:41 AM
This review assumes you are using some iteration of D&D or Pathfinder. If you are not, please clarify what system you are creating this for.

-Sometimes, you just want to be a walking blender. Make it optional, like Power Attack. I do like it as an option though. (Throwing a foe through a door by massive damage? yes please!)

-some kind of clarification might be in order. What weapon types does it work with? Is it strictly melee weapons, or can ranged attacks trigger it? Is their a modifier to size difference? ("hill giant punting gnome across the room" vs. "gnome punting hill giant across the room." one of these should be easier than the other.)

-I would suggest a roll of some kind either to reduce damage or reduce forced movement.