PDA

View Full Version : [OGL] CthulhuTech d20 Kitbash Conversion (PEACH)

Solaris
2014-12-12, 02:30 PM
I like... some of the CthulhuTech setting. Specifically, I like taking giant robots and punching mythos aliens in the face. I like the notion that humanity might well have a fighting chance (maybe) on account of this isn't the 1920s any more and science has marched on. I'm a fan of the anime that inspired it, and I don't care if it doesn't make sense by Lovecraft canon. If I wanted "Oh **** we're all gonna die and it doesn't matter because we're insignificant motes of dust anyways!", I'd play Real Life.
The sex crimes thing, not so much okay with, so we're gonna scrub those parts right on out. I don't need rape and crap like that to make my villains monsters.

I'm not overly enthusiastic about the game system, so I'm looking at converting the game over into the d20 system by kitbashing components from other d20 games (and using conversion/homebrew to fill in the gaps). While this may not work well for everyone and I know that everybody on the internet likes every other game system better, none of my players are particularly interested in learning a new game system and are perfectly happy with the d20 system. They are amenable to house rules. The basic framework I plan on using is the d20 system, modified to fit the E6 rules variant (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D). I'm also going to use the vitality point/wound point (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) mechanic, as well as action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm).

I haven't decided on character classes yet, and I'd like some input on that. Right now I'm leaning towards the non-Force-using classes of d20 Star Wars coupled with the D&D sorcerer (or wizard) and psionic classes, but I could see some other D&D classes working, too, with some slight modification of skill lists and feat choices.
Another option is to go with the d20 Modern classes. The fact that those are a bit underwhelming plays well with the bleakness of the setting.

Chtulhutech permits characters to be Tagers, parapsychics, and sorcerers without a class investment (it doesn't have a class system, you see, which I'm too lazy to emulate in the d20 system on account of not being overly fond of reinventing the wheel). They do this through a point-buying system, in essence trading drawbacks (a good chunk of which are RP-only, to boot) for bonuses. I'm considering doing away with that entirely, and replacing it with feats.

I plan on utilizing d20 Future weapons and d20 Future mecha, converted to match the setting's mecha. This is a pretty straightforward conversion, mostly scrubbing the names off and replacing them with those from CthulhuTech. The only note is that the mech's hit points replace the character's wound points for combat purposes (except possibly on critical hits). In essence, a character in a mech would thus have his vitality points depleted first, then his mech's hit points.

Insanity points will be replaced with Wisdom damage, I think. The way it works in CT mirrors that rather well, and with this it allows characters with higher willpower to stay playable longer.

This is the rough outline of my project. Ideas? Comments? Expressions of utter and absolute loathing of everything and anything CthulhuTech?