PDA

View Full Version : Being a human, but bigger.

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 03:54 PM
Anyone know any races that are like a human, but Large? LA0 is preferred.

Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2014-12-12, 04:14 PM
The Jotunbrud feat (Races of Faerūn) gives a Human some of the benefits of being Large, though your character (just) stays Medium size.

Inevitability
2014-12-12, 04:14 PM
Define 'like a human'.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-12, 04:27 PM
Define 'like a human'.

I agree, define the question a little more please.

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 04:32 PM
Define 'like a human'.

Aesthetically similar to a human of large size.

Also, Jotunbrud is awesome, and pretty close to what I wanted, but is there a similar race or feat that actually gives all the full benefits of large?

My main problem with Jotunbrud is that I can't be huge with a permanent enlarge person.

Red Fel
2014-12-12, 04:36 PM

Is there a reason you can't go with, say, a Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm)? Maybe a non-psionic one if that bugs you? Yeah, it's got LA +1, but aesthetically it's just a really big dude. I mean, as a rule, Large (or even Powerful Build) is going to run you an LA.

Strike that. You want actual Large, not Powerful Build. Give me a moment, I've got this.

Back. Okay. Half-Ogre template. Again, LA +1, but it takes your Medium Human and bumps him up to Large. Again, the size increase is the basis for the LA. That's how it goes.

torrasque666
2014-12-12, 04:39 PM

Also, Jotunbrud is awesome, and pretty close to what I wanted, but is there a similar race or feat that actually gives all the full benefits of large?

My main problem with Jotunbrud is that I can't be huge with a permanent enlarge person.
And here I was gonna be advising Goliath. Yeah, its LA+1, but that's about as cheap as you're going to find for Large size. However though, Powerful Build lets you count as large for.... pretty much everything. Use larger weapons, count as a size larger for grapple(which means that only things your size or bigger can actually even try) etc. etc. So you don't actually get to be huge, but you get to count​ as huge.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-12, 04:40 PM

How aesthetically similar to a human?

INoKnowNames
2014-12-12, 04:42 PM
If you're willing to go both 3rd Party and d20/3.0, there's a feat in Bastards and Bloodlines that can make a human or medium creature Large if he's got the bloodline of a Large race. Talk to your Dm about it; I only skimmed that bit...

Edit: To some of you who I recognize from other threads, I'm waiting on the suggestion to pay for a Mind Switch into an Ice Assassin of an Alaex of a Large Creature.

Wait, needs Mind Rape. Okay, pay for the Mind Rape for a free Mind Switch etc. etc....

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 04:47 PM
If you're willing to go both 3rd Party and d20/3.0, there's a feat in Bastards and Bloodlines that can make a human or medium creature Large if he's got the bloodline of a Large race. Talk to your Dm about it; I only skimmed that bit...

Third party and homebrew are both off the table, so that won't work.

Also on the how aesthetically similar question, aesthetically similar enough that the average person would assume I am a (large) human and not, say, a minotaur or ogre or something.

Edit: As to the second half of that, that level of shenanigandry tends to be a campaign ender more often than not.

Curmudgeon
2014-12-12, 04:49 PM
There's only one Humanoid (not at all Human-like) of Large size that I know of in D&D. That's the Hornhead in the Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement (a free download from wizards.com), which understands but doesn't speak Common.

Necroticplague
2014-12-12, 06:13 PM
Yeah, a size increase on its own is worth LA, so you're not gonna get an actual size increase for LA 0. However, half-ogre template gets you there for only 1 LA, and ogres are similar enough in appearance to humans that it should work. Maybe you're jaw is a bit more prominent than average, but other than that you should look pretty normal.

Re-read, saw the bit about not wanting to use that template. In that case, how about Half-Goristro Human? The LA is a bit more considerable at +4, but it also bumps your size all the way up to Huge, and goristros are again, pretty human aside from the horns (Which there's no reason to believe their offspring have).

Alternatively, you could pick up the Sculpt Self feat, and go looking for an item to turn into a prestige race that would make you Large.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-12, 06:49 PM
Are there any templates that change type to humanoid?

ETA: What about LA +1 or less templates that change type to Construct? Then we could have an Incarnate Construct [Construct Template] Half-Ogre Human for a large-sized LA +0 humanoid.

Necroticplague
2014-12-12, 07:05 PM

Incarnate Construct for Medium creatures (larger ones become Giants instead).

However, there is a feat for human-descendant races that makes your type Humanoid[Human]. So, for example, the half-Goristro human I mentioned could take it at first level (ECL5), becoming a Huge Humanoid [Human]. Human Heritage is the name, think its in Races of Destiny.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-12, 07:06 PM

ETA: What about LA +1 or less templates that change type to Construct? Then we could have an Incarnate Construct [Construct Template] Half-Ogre Human for a large-sized LA +0 humanoid.

I coulda sworn people were doing something with incarnate dustform creatures.
Yup sandstorm, although turns not that nets a +0 so we are back to square one.

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 07:08 PM
Alternatively, you could pick up the Sculpt Self feat, and go looking for an item to turn into a prestige race that would make you Large.

I have never heard of Sculpt Self or prestige races before. What are they?

Necroticplague
2014-12-12, 07:20 PM
I have never heard of Sculpt Self or prestige races before. What are they?

Dragon Mag 304. Basically, you take the feat (Sculpt Self), then you can grant yourself various boni (prestige races) that have the effect of a magic item. Instead of costing GP, you need to spend 1/5 its GP cost in XP (by meditating for several days, in a process similar to crafting), and its benefits are EX if its passive, and supernatural if its active. All items have to be converted to slotless version, meaning for items that take up a slot, you double the GP cost before figuring out XP cost.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-12, 08:19 PM
Quinametin (Dragon Mag 317 pg 65)

Large Humanoid
2HD, +2LA, +2AC, +4STR, +2DEX, +2CON, -2WIS
Stability (Ex)
Neutral with Chaotic tendencies

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 08:22 PM
Dragon Mag 304. Basically, you take the feat (Sculpt Self), then you can grant yourself various boni (prestige races) that have the effect of a magic item. Instead of costing GP, you need to spend 1/5 its GP cost in XP (by meditating for several days, in a process similar to crafting), and its benefits are EX if its passive, and supernatural if its active. All items have to be converted to slotless version, meaning for items that take up a slot, you double the GP cost before figuring out XP cost.

O.O

Holy cow, that's amazing.

So, anyone know the cost of a continuous slotless item of Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm)?

Necroticplague
2014-12-12, 08:33 PM
O.O

Holy cow, that's amazing.

So, anyone know the cost of a continuous slotless item of Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm)?

You use the same rules as custom magic items when generating spells, so it depends on how big you want to be. For just a one size increase? 2(slotless)x1(power level)x1(minimum manifester level)x2000 (in the formula)x4 (1round/ML duration)=16,000 GP.

rmnimoc
2014-12-12, 09:02 PM
You use the same rules as custom magic items when generating spells, so it depends on how big you want to be. For just a one size increase? 2(slotless)x1(power level)x1(minimum manifester level)x2000 (in the formula)x4 (1round/ML duration)=16,000 GP.

So 3200 xp and a feat. I like it.

Thank you.

rockdeworld
2014-12-12, 09:14 PM
So 3200 xp and a feat. I like it.
If you're spending xp, consider LA buyoff for the LA +1 race, which costs 3,000 xp and no feats.

Strormer
2014-12-12, 09:34 PM
Yeah, honestly, the +1 LA buy off Half-Giant is going to be a good deal.

KingSmitty
2014-12-12, 10:18 PM
im gonna throw my vote with half-giant. If you dont want the psionics then ask your dm to swap that feature out with a free feat or something, At level 7 my last half-giant had a strength of 30 (with more to go before the campaign ended) by stacking rage bonuses, powerful build is a very useful tool, although Giant type kinda sucks when trying to use enlarge person

Urpriest
2014-12-12, 10:42 PM
Also on the how aesthetically similar question, aesthetically similar enough that the average person would assume I am a (large) human and not, say, a minotaur or ogre or something.

Can't happen. If someone saw a Large Human in pretty much any circumstance in D&D, they'd assume they were an unusually well-groomed Ogre. You're not going to get away with having the average person assume you're Human and being Large unless you're Rugaru.

Ruethgar
2014-12-12, 10:49 PM
I'ld cast my vote for Half-Giant as well, you can take Primordial if you want a to go caster. LA buyoff is easy and it is in a the more core set of rules as opposed to having to get Dragon Mag content approved, make a custom item and waste a feat. There are rules for starting with a penalty to be counted as LA+0 even if you're not, pretty much -1 to all skills attacks and checks for -1 LA.