PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Kind of a problem player.

KnotKnormal
2014-12-12, 04:24 PM
Over the last year my friends and I started playing a 3.5 game that we continuously switch DMs. It's fun, and it keeps us thinking on our feet. Anyway, One of the players is playing an assassin, And normally I wouldn't have an issue with anyone playing an evil character, but it's how he is playing it, he seems to be doing only evil things to the other characters. Collecting the money for the party but not splitting it evenly, threatening characters (the two he did this to died in the last combat, so it didn't have a chance to come to fruition), drugging them, getting them into trouble with the law, etc. Unfortunately non of the other characters have been able to spot him doing these things or tie him back to them.

Normally i would talk to the player about why what he is doing is wrong, out of character, disruptive, etc. but it's not... I fits his characters background completely, he's not physically hurting any of the party, and it's providing some really good role play opportunities, It's just really F***ing annoying, and I want to murder his character in the face. but I can't because i don't have a reason to.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated... I am a player in the next session, My character is a lvl 5 human druid with an earth elemental animal companion. (wanted a simple build)

Frenth Alunril
2014-12-12, 04:28 PM
Alright! I felt with this... My psychopath wanted to mess with everyone. I gave him the option to mess with an entire town. He played them like a fiddle, became the mayor, crashed the mining market, bailed everyone out, and now he's the mayor/my npc. He casually murders everyone he can in secret and is the leader of a cult if cyric. It's nuts, but it's rewarding.

Give them something more difficult than leading with PC rubes.

EnglishKitsune
2014-12-12, 04:38 PM
To Start things off let's get the General responses out of the way.

Is this just you getting annoyed at the player or are the others fed up as well? If there is an overall feeling of him spoiling it then an OOC talk is justified, if the rest of the group are fine with his little evil shenanigans, maybe think about why they annoy you so much. Then bring it up to the group in a very diplomatic way before it explodes and hurts your friendship(s). Say " While I know it's all IC and fits the character, I'm having real trouble with X actions and the way you do Y."

I will say the tone of this thread comes across as "Help me find a way to kill his character IC because I want to." I will say this in giant Bold red letters, because there are too many threads like this already:

THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.
THIS WILL END VERY BADLY FOR YOU.

KnotKnormal
2014-12-12, 04:48 PM
To Start things off let's get the General responses out of the way.

Is this just you getting annoyed at the player or are the others fed up as well? If there is an overall feeling of him spoiling it then an OOC talk is justified, if the rest of the group are fine with his little evil shenanigans, maybe think about why they annoy you so much. Then bring it up to the group in a very diplomatic way before it explodes and hurts your friendship(s). Say " While I know it's all IC and fits the character, I'm having real trouble with X actions and the way you do Y."

I will say the tone of this thread comes across as "Help me find a way to kill his character IC because I want to." I will say this in giant Bold red letters, because there are too many threads like this already:

THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.
THIS WILL END VERY BADLY FOR YOU.

LOL, I know it comes off as that, and I don't mean it to, but it's freaking annoying, as far as I know, there is only one other person who cares, the rest are *I don't really need that much money right now." (That annoys me for an entirely different reason, but whatever.)

Thank you for the advice.

Sartharina
2014-12-12, 06:51 PM
will say the tone of this thread comes across as "Help me find a way to kill his character IC because he is killing ours and we can't aren't IC-justified in doing anything about it."Fixed that for you. He is playing a teamkilling, treacherous bastard in the party to the point that one player is absolutely fed up with it.

Sith_Happens
2014-12-12, 07:08 PM
Fixed that for you. He is playing a teamkilling, treacherous bastard in the party to the point that one player is absolutely fed up with it.

Very slow and indirect teamkilling, but I won't dispute that there's at least a partial equivalency.

As for advice, for every quantity of sneakiness there exists a quantity of paranoia that will successfully counter it. In this specific case, the trick is that it doesn't matter how high his skills are if you have enough circumstantial reasons to suspect him. And the more bad stuff happens to the party for no traceable reason, the more reason you have to suspect that it's an inside job, because that's called a pattern.