PDA

View Full Version : Martial Rogue

Rowanomicon
2007-03-28, 12:04 AM
I'm about to get off the computer soon, but I wanted to post this before I did.
I was thinking about making a variant of the Rogue class found here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm

The First thing would be uppong the BAB from 3/4HD to full HD.
The Second thing is removing the Trapfinding and all the Trap Sense.
Of course I also need to change the proficiency to all Simple and Martial Weapons and all Light Armor.

From here on in it gets less definite.
I know I want to do the following:
- Reduce the Skill Points/level (I donno to what though)
- Re-disperse the Special Abilities and add one or two more (Also I would restrict the Feat option of the Special Abilities to Fighter Feats, but not Fighter Only Feats)

Any suggestions and feedback are much welcomed.
Thank you in advance.

Edit: Hmm, so far this seems rather unbalanced. I think the class is gaining more than it's losing, but I'm not sure what else I can take away.

Rowanomicon
2007-03-28, 02:37 PM
I would reallt appreciate some feedback on this.

Spiryt
2007-03-28, 03:41 PM
Nerf sneak attack somehow.
With full B&B it will be too powerful indeed- more attacks per round (especially TWF ) better chance to hit, possibly power attack, ec

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-28, 03:54 PM
Agreed.

I see a couple of options: You can slow down the progression, or you can change it to something like sudden strike.

What role do you see this class filling?

Glome
2007-03-28, 04:09 PM
Are you looking for something like the variant fighter in the SRD which switches the bonus fighter feats for a rogue's sneak attack progression? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter

If that's not quite what yo want, take it as a baseline and for every more roguish ability you add to it, take away a fighter benefit such as weapons, armor, and hit points.

I should also point out that there are quite a few prestige classes that will fulfill your requirements. I just don't see a rogue getting full BAB, all their skill points and SA progression from level one though.

Hzurr
2007-03-28, 04:13 PM
I'd actually suggest removing the sneak attack, and leaving in trapfinding, that way the rogue can still fill his primary obligation.

Fizban
2007-03-28, 04:18 PM
Or you could use the other one:

Rogue

The rogue who favors martial training over stealth and cunning can profit if she chooses her fights carefully.
Gain

Bonus feats (as fighter).
Lose

Sneak attack.

Rowanomicon
2007-03-28, 05:09 PM
Spiryt: I agree. I think re-dispersing Sneak Attack and making there be less than 10 advancements is a good idea.

Lord Iames Osari: I see this class mostly filling a martial role. Though it wouldn't be a meat-shield. Basically what I'm looking for is the sneakyness of a Rogue but aimed towards combat (especially melee) rather than traps. I would be using this probably only as a class for an NPC villain in a game I will be DMing soon. Since he's an NPC though I might just make him a Gestalt Fighter/Rogue.

Glome: Thank you. I did look at that, but I decided I'd work better for what I want to start with Rogue and work towards Fighter rather than the other way. I do agree with you on the balance. That is why I think both SA and Skill Points should be nerfed. Could you (or anyone) point me in the direction of some PrCs that might fit the bill. I've looked at Duelist and, while it might serve my purpose if I were a player looking to play a character like this, it's far from perfect.

Hzurr: Thanks, but that doesn't really fit with what I want for this class.

Fizban: Thanks for that too. I also looked at that as a starting place, but It doesn't suit me too well because I want the SA as part of the class and don't want that many Bonus Feats (just the choice of taking a feat instead of a Special Ability)

I am unfamiliar with the table code so if someone could let me know what it is that'd be great. Thanks.

OK, so maybe this would do better as a PrC. I'm not sure. I do want to keep it relatively Rogue-ish.

I'm beginning to think that this is a useless venture. It was an interesting idea, but I think the character could easily be played as a Fighter 2/Rogue (the rest) or a Gestalt Fighter/Rogue depending on the situation.

I have to go, but I'll think on it and hopefully return with ideas.
I would still like to create soemthing along these lines.

Glome
2007-03-28, 05:29 PM
Rowanomicon

I don't think there is prc that would work that well in Core or the SRD. However, the Complete Adventurer and Complete Warrior both have some possibilities, such as Nightsong Enforcer and Invisible Blade. Then there still other possibilities in yet more splat books. The Complete Wild has a martial rogue for halflings I believe, and I also believe stormwrack has a martial rogue pirate.

Rowanomicon
2007-03-28, 05:50 PM
Sadly I own few splat books and none form the Complete series.
Thank you though.

Necromas
2007-03-29, 10:27 PM
Look up the rokugan ninja, they have full BAB.

P.S. It's available online, http://www.l5r.com/archive/rpg/rokugan_ninja.pdf

Rowanomicon
2007-03-31, 12:56 PM
Oh, thanks. I usually don't use oriental flavour in my campaigns, but this could very easily be turned into what I want.