PDA

View Full Version : Need good storytelling rules light system

Mystic Muse
2014-12-12, 04:29 PM
My brother wants to run a D&D style campaign, but not with the base D&D system because it doesn't suit his needs. The focus should be on the story above the rules, and be fairly rules light. He wants to do a Final Fantasy tactics style campaign. Ideally, a group of low level characters should be able to take down a high level one without it being implausible to do so. Basically, somewhat like Lord of the rings.

Any ideas?

Grinner
2014-12-12, 04:45 PM
Isn't this what Fate was made for?

Mystic Muse
2014-12-12, 05:43 PM
I don't know. I have literally no experience with almost any non-D20 system, and in that, I've only played Star Wars, D&D/Pathfinder, and Mutants and Masterminds.

1337 b4k4
2014-12-12, 06:38 PM
Check out dungeon world. It's whole philosophy is that everything should flow from the fiction. Might not be rules light enough but it's honestly fairly light and it's free so there's that too.

Drakzelthor
2014-12-13, 01:48 AM
I'll second Dungeon world.It was intentionally designed to produce a old school dnd feel in a more rules light narrative system.

Illogictree
2014-12-13, 02:11 AM
I'll third Dungeon World, my favorite system, at least to GM for.

There's one caveat; coming straight from d20, it might be difficult to grok what the game is doing and how it's supposed to be run, at least at first. The most helpful document I found for understanding it was the "Dungeon World Guide" - it has lots of advice that isn't in the main book/PDF itself on constructing good moves and how to properly handle "partial success" rolls. Play also helps in figuring things out quite a bit.

But man, once you figure it out, it's great fun to run and play.