PDA

View Full Version : Need cool themes for campaign

Fireblast950
2014-12-12, 04:50 PM
So I recent saw the use of the five stages of grief used to describe the underlying idea of a character dying. I've also seen the 7 deadly sins used a bunch as a story theme. I want to know if there is any more of these kinds of themes?

Thrawn4
2014-12-12, 05:32 PM
the 4 elements
the 4 cardinal virtues
the 10 commandments
the 2 rules for a succesful life. first, don't tell people everything you know ;-)

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-12, 06:38 PM
the 4 elementsWith, of course, the stipulation saying which elements are the four elements tending to vary by region. Some would have Wood as one of the four.

Freedom vs. Security is a classic.

Truth vs. Safety, too, for that matter.

Vampires vs. Werewolves. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2014-12-12, 06:50 PM
With, of course, the stipulation saying which elements are the four elements tending to vary by region. Some would have Wood as one of the four.

One of the five, actually. The Chinese elements are wood, fire, water, earth, and metal. Or you could smush the two systems together as in Codex Alera for air, earth, fire, water, metal, and wood.

How about the Tytler cycle (not actually invented by anyone named Tytler): "From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage."

Fireblast950
2014-12-12, 07:26 PM
Thank you all the great responses!

Palegreenpants
2014-12-12, 08:56 PM
You could copy Tolkien. :P Light versus dark, the weak versus the insurmountable, predestination, or loss of innocence. All of these are made fantasy classics by Tolkien.

Vitruviansquid
2014-12-12, 09:05 PM
I've always wanted to run a game based on heat vs. cold.

Imagine it taking place in a frozen wasteland where fire is precious as life itself. All the humanity you know about lives cramped into one great fortress, the last edifice of a dead civilization. Traveling outside of the fortress for an extended period of time requires the use of one of a few magic lanterns that can convert a person's life energy into warmth to keep the expedition alive. Still, any such expedition will need to keep itself armed and nimble, for the snows are also home to dreadful, lifeless beasts that thirst for the warmth of human blood, and so on and so forth.

Fireblast950
2014-12-13, 06:15 PM
i would do the heat vs cold theme if my friend wasnt already running a dark sun campaign which has almost a similar feel i think. idk it should almost better than a dark sun setting. idk ill wait and see what type of mechanics he uses with resources and what not