PDA

View Full Version : Lets brew a discipline! (Storm Seeker)

LordErebus12
2014-12-12, 06:27 PM
We should all come together and make a TOB/POW inspired martial discipline.

I had some ideas for names and such, but have always been bad with coming up with actual maneuvers and stances. Still, it would be fun coming up with something cool.

What does everyone think?

EDIT:

New Discipline: Storm Seeker
Key Skill: Balance
Key Weapons: club, dagger, dart, javelin, light hammer, sai, shortspear, spear, shuriken, throwing axe, and trident.
Description: Combines throwing weapons with sonic/light based status effects, such as blindness and deafness, and sonic/electricity dealing attacks.

I like the idea of having three distinct 'seeds' that evolve throughout the discipline; Thunder, Lightning, and Wind, with a sub-theme of Magnetics and Weather.

Thunder:
Low Level: Deafening, Knockback, Distraction
Mid Level: Shatter, Area attacks, Concussions/Internal Bleeding
High Level: Object rupture (weak disintegrate effect?), Huge knockback

Lightning:
Low Level: Dazzling (or slightly better), Quick Strikes, Direction Changes
Mid Level: Dazing, Ranged/Line attacks, Thrown Attacks
High Level: Stunning/Paralysis, Indirect Attacks (lightning strikes funneled through javelins?), Chained attacks

Wind:
Low Level: Balanced strikes, Movement, Dodges
Mid Level: Hampering Movement, Restricting Choices, Redirection
High Level: Freedom, Ranged Manipulation (like Ranged Legerdemain but much more... swordy), Battlefield Control

Ideas for stances by seed:

Thunder: Sweeping Strike, a la Warmind's 5th level ability, but the added targets take all damage as Sonic; Sundering attacks have attached Shatter effects; parrying attacks with high-intensity vibration cloak.

Lightning: Being able to use [Lightning] tagged strikes as attacks of opportunity; making an attack as an immediate action once per round; benefits vs metal-clad opponents; movement damages enemies passed, taking X per adjacent square moved through.

Wind: Scorn Earth-like effect; 'harrier'- like skirmish ability, which increases dodge % and AC based on movement previous round; redirecting attacks that miss you against others nearby; effectively occupying more squares than you normally should (I have something like this in the Desert Wind revision-y thing I have above).

Table: 1st Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost
Lightning

Boost
Wind

Counter
Wind

Counter
Thunder

Magnetism Stance
Stance
Lightning
The initiator’s body begins to radiate magnetic fields, granting it circumstantial bonuses when dealing with creature’s wearing/wielding metal armor or weapons, as well as creatures made of metal.

Stance
Thunder

Strike
Lightning

Flash Bang Breach
Strike
Thunder
Creates a blast of light and sound from a weapon attack, potentially dazzling and deafening creatures caught in the area of effect.

Table: 2nd Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Boost

Counter

Counter

Strike

Strike

Table: 3rd Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Boost

Counter

Stance

Strike

Strike

Table: 4th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Boost

Counter

Counter

Strike

Strike

Table: 5th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Boost

Counter

Counter

Strike

Strike

Table: 6th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Boost

Counter

Stance

Strike

Strike

Table: 7th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Counter

Strike

Strike

Table: 8th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Counter

Stance

Strike

Table: 9th Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost

Strike

LordErebus12
2014-12-12, 06:30 PM
My two ideas:

Roaring Hydra
A discipline focusing on self-healing, numerous quick strikes, and intimidation.

Spectral Palm
A discipline focusing on incorporeal combat, disarming, and telekinesis.

Booper
2014-12-12, 06:58 PM
No idea what im doing but this looks like fun so i'll try

Blink Dog
A discipline focused on confusing the enemy with fast hit and run tactics, giving martial artists the illusion of teleportation.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-12, 07:16 PM
Hm. Possibly an explicitly magical discipline, similar to (but one step past) the almost-magical disciplines already in ToB? I don't have too many ideas, so it might be best to put in other disciplines, but two things that I think should be maneuvers (probably strikes) are 1) dispelling attacks and 2) attacks that dismiss summons. Hitting people so hard that they're sent back to their home plane would be so cool.

The ideas suggested for Blink Dog could fit in as well; maybe a teleportation-based boost chain (with longer distances, as opposed to the Shadow Jaunt chain's increased action economy), something that creates Mirror Images as you move... Yes, yes.

LordErebus12
2014-12-12, 07:35 PM
Hm. Possibly an explicitly magical discipline, similar to (but one step past) the almost-magical disciplines already in ToB? I don't have too many ideas, so it might be best to put in other disciplines, but two things that I think should be maneuvers (probably strikes) are 1) dispelling attacks and 2) attacks that dismiss summons. Hitting people so hard that they're sent back to their home plane would be so cool.

Agreed. This discipline should be supernatural in nature.

No idea what im doing but this looks like fun so i'll try

Blink Dog
A discipline focused on confusing the enemy with fast hit and run tactics, giving martial artists the illusion of teleportation.

I like this idea. Fast movement, skirmish-type attacks, well... is it illusion or Conjuration (teleportation)?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-12, 08:02 PM
Hm. I'm going to start 'brewing some of the ideas I had.

Dispelling attack: Dispel Magic is accessible at 5th level, and at-will dispelling comes online at 6th (via Warlock invocations), so I'd say a dispelling strike should be a 4th-level maneuver. Make a single attack, targeted dispel if it hits, boom, done.

Teleportation: maybe 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th-level boosts that teleport 20, 40, 60, and 80 feet respectively?

LordErebus12
2014-12-12, 09:22 PM
Gain ghost touch on all attacks. 3rd or 6th level stance?

Allnightmask
2014-12-13, 01:14 AM
So what discipline would we be focusing on? I like the sound of the Hydra one, but I can try and add some ideas to the pile otherwise.

LordErebus12
2014-12-13, 01:44 AM
So what discipline would we be focusing on? I like the sound of the Hydra one, but I can try and add some ideas to the pile otherwise.

no idea. lets vote on them or something.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-13, 02:18 AM
Gain ghost touch on all attacks. 3rd or 6th level stance?

3rd. By the time 6th-level stances are available, you should already have a ghost touch weapon.

cameronpants
2014-12-13, 10:41 AM
Just some quick 5-minute musings on the Roaring Hydra discipline.

Snapping Jaws
The initiator learns the cunning skill of using his weapons to harry nearby opponents, forcing them to stop short or lunge away at the last second or become skewered by his armaments.
Opponents successfully attacked or intimidated in the round this boost is activated take a -2 penalty to hit and damage against you for 1 round.

[B]Coiling Serpent Stance [Stance 1]
Hydras are the masters of being both everwhere and nowhere; everywhere they need to be to swarm their opponents and nowhere when attacked. This stance teaches the basics of both.
While in this stance, you gain a +2 bonus to armor class against any opponents who attacked you the previous round, and a +2 bonus to hit opponents you did not attack the previous round.

Explosive Twofold Retaliation [Counter 2]
The novice Roaring Hydra initiator's first defensive teachings centre around a single concept: for every attack they make, make two of your own.
After being struck in melee, you may initiate this counter to attack the opponent who struck you twice. Both attacks are at your highest base attack bonus.

Hundred-Bite Barrage [Strike 3]
The massive onslaught of the Roaring Hydra initiate begins with the basic technique of attacking with such speed and ferocity as to leave your opponent defenseless. However, such single-minded, focused offense leave the initiate open for retaliation from other enemies.
You make a full attack with an additional attack at your highest base attack bonus against a single target. For each successful attack, you gain a +1d6 bonus to weapon damage for each subsequent attack they make against that target until the beginning of your next turn. Additionally, if the opponent targeted with this maneuver would attack an ally when within your melee range they provoke an attack of opportunity from you. However, you take a -4 penalty to armor class against other opponents until the beginning of your next turn.

Regenerating Rush
The initiate of the Roaring Hydra learns to adapt his body to nearly any situation. His body becomes resilient, always ready for punishment and, sometimes, dismemberment.
The Initiator gains Regeneration 10 until the beginning of his next turn.
Conversely, if you want to include Rushes (homebrewed Move-based maneuvers that involve movement) then make this a Rush: You may move up to your base speed without provoking attacks of opportunity. You gain Regeneration 10 until the beginning of your next turn, and every opponent within your melee range at any point of this movement loses Fast Healing and Regeneration until the beginning of your next turn.

[B]Sevenfold Reaper Stance [Stance 7]
Adepts of the Roaring Hydra discipline have learned how to move and attack like their namesake monster. Now they learn how to think like one; planning seven steps ahead, having seven routes to victory, cutting seven times deeper and seven times more accurately with each slash. Those in the Sevenfold Reaper Stance only get more dangerous the longer they have to calculate and plan.
After adopting this stance, you gain your choice of: +1 to Attack Rolls, +1d4 to Melee Damage rolls, +1 to Armor Class, or DR +1/-. At the beginning of each round, if you are already in this stance, you increases each previously chosen bonus by 1, and then chooses a new bonus to gain at 1. If all bonuses have been chosen and are increasing, you instead heals 7 hit points. These bonuses cannot increase beyond +7 to hit, +7d4 to damage, +7 to armor class, and DR 7/-. This stance is lost while not in an initiative count (ie out of combat).

EDIT: What the hell, some for another suggested discipline.

Blink Dog (In my head, it's called the Flickering Guardian)

Echo Body (Stance 1)
Gain a 20% miss chance against nonadjacent opponents, and a +2 bonus to feinting adjacent targets.

Flicker Step (Boost 2 or Rush 2)
As a boost, teleport up to 10 feet. As a Rush, teleport up to half your land speed.

Flicker Leap (Boost 4 or Rush 4)
As a boost, teleport up to 30 feet. As a Rush, teleport up to your land speed. Either way, after you use this ability, you gain a single Mirror Image that lasts until dispersed or the combat ends.

Flicker Bound (Boost 6 or Rush 6)
As a boost, teleport up to 100 feet. As a Rush, teleport up to 4x your land speed. Either way, after you use this ability, you gain 1d4+1 Mirror Images that last until dispersed or the combat ends.

Vector Thrust (Strike 3)
Make an attack. It deals +3d6 damage. If used against a flat footed opponent, you deal an additional 6d6 damage instead. If this strike successfully hits, you gain a Mirror Image that lasts until dispersed or the combat ends.

Phasing Mirror Strike (Strike 4)
Make an attack against a flat footed opponent. If successful, disperse your remaining Mirror Images. The opponent takes an additional 2d6 damage per Mirror Image dispersed in this way, as well as a penalty to their armor class equal to the Mirror Images dispersed this way.

Infinite Reflections of the Inner Self (Strike 9)
You make yourself 10 Mirror Images. Each one gets to make an attack at your highest base attack bonus, as if using your equipment, and from your square. Your opponents are considered flanked against these attacks. After being struck by one of your copies or yourself, the opponent is considered flat footed against subsequent attacks this round by you and your mirror images. After you have made all the attacks, you may teleport up to 100 feet as a free action.

LordErebus12
2014-12-13, 01:48 PM
wowser! some of those are amazing.

Citrakayah
2014-12-13, 01:55 PM
Perhaps a vote up format would be best for this?

LordErebus12
2014-12-13, 06:39 PM
Perhaps a vote up format would be best for this?

sure. sounds like a good idea.

Citrakayah
2014-12-13, 07:47 PM
Okay. In that case, each person can post up to four ideas, and we stop at 32? Never done this before, just seen it be done.

1. A true master of battle can take the attacks of enemies and not just block them, but redirect them. Arrows are swatted into opponents, blades are broken and the pieces sent into someone's chest.
2. You can twist the currents of reality around your blade, letting you block magic and twist light around yourself.
3. With your sword of crystal, you focus the rays of the sun, the moon, and the stars into devastating beams of high-intensity light.

LordErebus12
2014-12-13, 08:10 PM
Okay. In that case, each person can post up to four ideas, and we stop at 32? Never done this before, just seen it be done.

1. A true master of battle can take the attacks of enemies and not just block them, but redirect them. Arrows are swatted into opponents, blades are broken and the pieces sent into someone's chest.
2. You can twist the currents of reality around your blade, letting you block magic and twist light around yourself.
3. With your sword of crystal, you focus the rays of the sun, the moon, and the stars into devastating beams of high-intensity light.

4. As an immediate option, in response to an area of effect spell or power effecting the square in which you stand, you may make a sunder attempt. If successful, you instantly dispel the effect with a powerful flash of power radiating from your weapon.
5. With a brutal killing blow, you rip out a target's entrails and show them to the battlefield. All creatures must make a fortitude save or become nauseated for 1 round.
6. A tremendous charge that knocks your opponent flying, then prone.

Citrakayah
2014-12-13, 09:39 PM
That's too specific.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-13, 09:40 PM
That's too specific.

Indeed. I think Citra's original suggestion was for discipline ideas, not individual maneuvers.

LordErebus12
2014-12-13, 09:42 PM
Indeed. I think Citra's original suggestion was for discipline ideas, not individual maneuvers.

oops. sorry about that.

cameronpants
2014-12-15, 06:39 PM
4) Teaches how to read the miniscule tapestry of spiritual energy that composes all things- and learning to tear it, rend it, and destroy it. (Reflavored acid, dismissal, and disintegrating effects?)

5) Tapping into the subconscious, using that part of the mind as an extension of thought. Noticing and acting on subtle details and changes in the environment. (Spot and Sense Motive based abilities, very tai-chi-esque. Very calm, quiet discipline with simple results. Also, quickened mental actions.)

6) Arcane magic is merely words of power and practiced movements to 'hack' reality, reshaping energy and matter to suit ones needs. This discipline teaches the basics of countermagic; the actions and words used to negate and counterspell turned into martial stances and kiai shouts.

Amnoriath
2014-12-15, 10:26 PM
I actually had a discipline and weapon almost ready to go then my computer crashed. Well here it is.
Uncanny Mishap, a discipline focused on making ad hoc traps to either manipulate the terrain or simply give a situational advantages over enemies.

LordErebus12
2014-12-15, 10:37 PM
8) Thunder and Lightning:
Combines two-weapon fighting with sonic/light based status effects, such as blindness and deafness, and sonic/electricity dealing attacks.

9) Roaring Hydra:
A discipline focusing on self-healing, numerous quick strikes, and intimidation.

10) Spectral Palm:
A discipline focusing on incorporeal combat, disarming, and telekinesis.

Vhaidara
2014-12-18, 01:00 AM
11) Shattered Staff
An anti-magic discipline, specializing in dispelling, countering, redirecting, and stealing spells.

It's actually one that I've had bouncing around for a while. Just don't have the time/motivation to come up with an entire discipline's worth of maneuvers.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-18, 07:31 AM
I've recently been working on revising existing maneuvers and expanding the existing disciplines. (Here (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html)) Looking ahead, I was thinking of adding maneuvers to Desert Wind that involve some desiccation damage.

One of the new strikes takes from the Pierce Magical Protection feat (which normally requires a prerequisite feat and a minimum loss of 8 caster levels, if you have any).

I would also check out the Homebrew Martial Discipline Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255468-Homebrew-Martial-Discipline-Compendium&highlight=martial+discipline+compendium) if the suggestion hasn't been offered already.

I like the Thunder + Lightning theme for a discipline, and you could possibly center and name it around storms, add in some wind effects + fly speed maneuvers that function using wind.

LordErebus12
2014-12-18, 03:47 PM
I like the Thunder + Lightning theme for a discipline, and you could possibly center and name it around storms, add in some wind effects + fly speed maneuvers that function using wind.

Converging Storms?

EDIT:
12 - Spellwarped Assassin:
A stealth-based discipline allows the user to become magic resistant, while utilizing high-damage and assassination attacks, invisibility, and evasive dodges.

EDIT:
I created a table in the OP that displays our growing list of maneuver options.

cameronpants
2014-12-19, 12:18 AM
13) Twilight Cascade - Harnessing the power of your Twilight Twin to literally hit twice as hard, bilocate, and generally confound ordinary laws of physics. Think that evil dude in Chronicles of Riddick (the guy who traveled to the Underverse and brought back a mirror image of himself.) ((Bluff))

14) Feather's Brush - Adopting and mastering a 'touchfield'- feeling things by touch from a distance- and adapting it to always knowing where and when your opponents will strike, and instinctively knowing weak points in their defenses. ((Sleight of Hand))

LordErebus12
2014-12-19, 01:36 AM
15: Awakened Behemoth:
Practitioners of this discipline enter enter rage-like trances, where their physical abilities are heightened to primal levels. Use shattering slams and unarmed strikes to cripple, maim and injure foes. Utilize powerful bull rushes and charges, the ability to throw both allies and enemies, as well as tremendous boulders, to further your destructive antics.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-19, 02:23 AM
The idea I see as being most distinct from the existing disciplines, is the one that uses Thunder + Lightning, based around storms, wind and precipitation. Primarily because it would govern two energy types not handled by other disciplines.

-----------------------------------------------------

The reason I think the existing disciplines should be expanded, is because it allows more flexibility in meeting maneuver requirements so you don't have to stick with maneuvers you don't want in order to get the ones you do. Plus it makes specializing in a discipline a stronger option.

Shadow Hand can handle everything listed for Spellwarped Assassin, except the magic resistance and countermeasures against it, many of which I believe can be handled by expanding the Diamond Mind discipline.

In my opinion, magic countermeasure disciplines number 5, 6 and 11 can also be handled by expanding Diamond Mind.

Most of Spectral Palm and Blink Dog can be handled by revising/expanding Shadow Hand, which already has maneuvers for teleportation and incorporeality.

The Desert Wind discipline I think can handle discipline number 3 involving the use of high intensity light.

Terrain usage, and redirecting/turning attacks, seems to be a focus of the Setting Sun discipline.

--------------------------------

Thematically speaking, Roaring Hydra seems borrow a bit of Iron Heart's self recovery maneuvers and the alacrity of Desert Wind, Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw. It also works with causing fear, which Tiger Claw does a little bit with some of its maneuvers. Denying opponents from recovering hit points and such, seems like the best untapped idea that Roaring Hydra offers.

If you expand into the theme of causing fear using whatever discipline you choose, perhaps you could make stances and maneuvers that exact additional penalties upon and provide bonuses against enemies that are technically shaken, frightened or panicked.

---------------------------------

I also think that disciplines/maneuvers that involve making ranged attacks need exploration.

--------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Awakened Behemoth: feels a bit like barbarian, which itself needs a revamp in my opinion.

LordErebus12
2014-12-19, 03:08 AM
11) Shattered Staff
An anti-magic discipline, specializing in dispelling, countering, redirecting, and stealing spells.

It's actually one that I've had bouncing around for a while. Just don't have the time/motivation to come up with an entire discipline's worth of maneuvers.

basically everything the spellthief wishes he could be... :smallbiggrin:

Vhaidara
2014-12-19, 03:18 AM
basically everything the spellthief wishes he could be... :smallbiggrin:

Honestly, yeah. Just with more Swordsage/Stalker and a lot less Rogue.

You know that little bead of bat crap that you launch as part of casting Fireball? I want to catch that and throw it at the wizard's minions.

You know that contingency he had for if he took damage? That's dispelled.

You know that casting defensively check you just made? Not only do I ignore it, but I get to punch your lights out twice now.

You know that hydra you just turned into? :cool:

LordErebus12
2014-12-19, 03:18 AM
A possible suggestion?

Magnetism Stance
Thunder & Lightning 1 (Stance)
While in this stance, the user gains a +2 bonus on all disarm checks against metal items/weapons, a +2 bonus on resisting disarm attempts when wielding metal items/weapons, and a +2 on attack rolls to hit opponents wearing metal armor or creatures made primarily of metal.

LordErebus12
2014-12-19, 03:21 AM
Honestly, yeah. Just with more Swordsage/Stalker and a lot less Rogue.

You know that little bead of bat crap that you launch as part of casting Fireball? I want to catch that and throw it at the wizard's minions.

You know that contingency he had for if he took damage? That's dispelled.

You know that casting defensively check you just made? Not only do I ignore it, but I get to punch your lights out twice now.

You know that hydra you just turned into? :cool:

Exactly. Spellthief is such a weak option. It could be completely converted into a handful of stances, strikes, counters, and boosts in an incredibly useful, if situational, discipline.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-19, 04:59 AM
I would possibly rename Thunder + Lightning to "Stormbringer" or "Storm Crow" (etc etc) to broaden the theme to include a little wind and weather.

The Magnetism Stance could also provide a +2 circumstance bonus to AC against attacks made against you with metal weapons or by metal creatures.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 06:07 AM
I would possibly rename Thunder + Lightning to "Stormbringer" or "Storm Crow" (etc etc) to broaden the theme to include a little wind and weather.

The Magnetism Stance could also provide a +2 circumstance bonus to AC against attacks made against you with metal weapons or by metal creatures.

How about we name it Storm Seeker?

Also, I am totally on board for making a thunder-and-lightning discipline. Even if a lot of the maneuvers are adaptations of spells (Lightning Leap springs to mind), it could still be hella fun and it's a character concept I've been wanting to play anyways.

LordErebus12
2014-12-19, 08:13 AM
how about Twin Storms?

EDIT:
Thunderbrands:
Stance 1
Create twin humming weapons of pure electricity. Treat each weapon as a light melee weapon that deals 1d6 damage + 1d6 per eight initiator levels (3d6 max) + 1/2 Strength modifier. The damage dealt is half electricity and half sonic.

cameronpants
2014-12-19, 02:03 PM
I once, early in my brewing days, rewrote the ToB Disciplines. It bugged me that each one had chains of maneuvers that were, apart from a tiny bit more damage or one word in their name, exactly the same as a lower level maneuver. I also redefined what each discipline was all about, removing (most) supernatural aspects of them and making them a lot more effective and broad.

They're VERY rough, and use a lot of shorthand and jargon, but anyone can check them out if they like.
New Disciplines (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ckn5d378w5gy8sc/AAAQwAkMwh1Za1CJlTdl8-zZa?dl=0)

As for Storm's Tide/Storm Crow/Storm Soul/Converging Storm/Storm Front/Twin Storms, I like the idea of having three distinct 'seeds' that evolve throughout the discipline; Thunder, Lightning, and Wind, with a subtheme of Magnetics and Weather.

Thunder:
Low Level: Deafening, Knockback, Distraction
Mid Level: Shatter, Area attacks, Concussions/Internal Bleeding
High Level: Object rupture (weak disintegrate effect?), Huge knockback

Lightning:
Low Level: Dazzling (or slightly better), Quick Strikes, Direction Changes
Mid Level: Dazing, Ranged/Line attacks, Thrown Attacks
High Level: Stunning/Paralysis, Indirect Attacks (lightning strikes funneled through javelins?), Chained attacks

Wind:
Low Level: Balanced strikes, Movement, Dodges
Mid Level: Hampering Movement, Restricting Choices, Redirection
High Level: Freedom, Ranged Manipulation (like Ranged Legerdemain but much more... swordy), Battlefield Control

Ideas for stances by seed:

Thunder: Sweeping Strike, a la Warmind's 5th level ability, but the added targets take all damage as Sonic; Sundering attacks have attached Shatter effects; parrying attacks with high-intensity vibration cloak.

Lightning: Being able to use [Lightning] tagged strikes as attacks of opportunity; making an attack as an immediate action once per round; benefits vs metal-clad opponents; movement damages enemies passed, taking X per adjacent square moved through.

Wind: Scorn Earth-like effect; 'harrier'- like skirmish ability, which increases dodge % and AC based on movement previous round; redirecting attacks that miss you against others nearby; effectively occupying more squares than you normally should (I have something like this in the Desert Wind revision-y thing I have above).

Andion Isurand
2014-12-19, 11:56 PM
I think most of the maneuver chains are fine, since they give you more uses of almost the same kind of maneuver if you want to load up on them.

I also think, that there should be separate boost chains for electricity and sonic energy, so you can get more maneuvers for the discipline and ready more damaging boosts overall if you so wish. Don't forget that Swordsages have features that focus on a discipline, and they can eventually Dual Boost 3/day after hitting their capstone, which could be like an apotheosis for combining the lightning and thunder boosts.

I also feel that since the only elemental damage maneuvers are within disciplines exclusive to Swordsage, the ...Storm Scion...? discipline should be exclusive to that class as well.

We will also have to select associated weapons for the discipline as well, which I think should be a host of melee weapons that can also be thrown. Perhaps ones like... dagger, shortspear, spear, throwing axe, light hammer, trident.

I've amended my posts here (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html) to include basic energy damage boost chains modeled after the ones in Desert Wind that use fire. Not that original I admit, but I feel they will help add some continuity between the disciplines.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-20, 12:18 AM
I'm still rooting for Storm Seeker. And yeah, it should be a Swordsage discipline. Maybe as a replacement for Desert Wind?

Andion Isurand
2014-12-20, 12:29 AM
Desert Wind should stick around in my opinion... you could expand it to include maneuvers that deal desiccation damage and related status ailments.

If you want to change the name of it so that the "wind" concept stays in the storm camp, you could call it Desert Mirage... and include some figment and phantasm effects in the discipline.

LordErebus12
2014-12-20, 03:15 AM
Storm Seeker is it, then.

cameronpants's set up is smart, allowing things to be spread out a bit.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-22, 01:43 AM
Flash Bang Breach
Storm Seeker (Strike) [Light, Sonic]
Level: Swordsage 1
Initiation Acton: 1 standard action
Range: As weapon (see text)
Target: One creature
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst centered on target (see text)
Duration: 1 round
You focus your ki into an attack that hits with the sight and sound of the coming storm.

As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack. Alternatively, you can instead choose to make a single ranged attack by throwing any weapon associated with the Storm Seeker discipline. If this attack hits and deals damage to the target, that creature and any flat-footed creatures within the area of effect, become dazzled and deafened for 1 round. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

---------------------------------------------------

Meant to be used during the surprise round, so the -4 penalty to Initiative incurred for being deafened comes into play. Should I add anything else to it?

LordErebus12
2014-12-22, 02:31 AM
Flash Bang Breach
Initiation Acton: 1 standard action
Target: One creature
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst centered on target (see text)
You focus your ki into an attack that hits with the sight and sound of the coming storm.

As part of this maneuver, you make a melee or ranged attack using any of the weapons associated with the Storm Seeker discipline. If this attack hits and deals damage to the target, that creature and any flat-footed creatures within the area of effect, become dazzled and deafened for 1 round. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Meant to be used during the surprise round, so the -4 penalty to Initiative incurred for being deafened comes into play. Should I add anything else to it?

This is nice. however, I never had any consideration towards ranged attacks... perhaps it could have applications towards both ranged and melee...

What does everyone else think?

cameronpants
2014-12-22, 02:42 AM
If not full-on ranged missile weapons, I see Storm Seeker having thrown weapons in the mix. The classic trope of throwing thunderbolts appeals to me.

That's a pretty good 1st level maneuver. I like that flat-footed creatures in the area get no save. I might add in that non-flat-footed creatures are also affected but may get a reflex save to negate.
As written, if you initiate this during the surprise round, you may even affect your own allies if they haven't actively taken an action yet.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-22, 03:22 AM
Note: surprise rounds (IIRC) only allow one move or standard action, so this maneuver very heavily favors ranged. I like that, but I'm not sure if it's intentional.

If not full-on ranged missile weapons, I see Storm Seeker having thrown weapons in the mix. The classic trope of throwing thunderbolts appeals to me.

Seconded. I'd prefer full ranged support, but maybe we could limit the range to avoid maneuver sniping, e.g. "make a ranged attack against a target within 60 feet".

That's a pretty good 1st level maneuver. I like that flat-footed creatures in the area get no save. I might add in that non-flat-footed creatures are also affected but may get a reflex save to negate.
As written, if you initiate this during the surprise round, you may even affect your own allies if they haven't actively taken an action yet.

I like that it takes effect indiscriminately, though. Makes more thematic sense. It's also got an inherent power trade-off: use it right away, and risk affecting allies, or wait, and affect fewer enemies. Brings in huge rewards if you can get a full-party surprise round, though. You delay till the end of the surprise round, then drop Flash-Bang Breach on an enemy. The initiative penalty from being deafened means your whole party is probably going first in the initiative order, too. This is a good thing; it keeps the maneuver useful at high levels.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-22, 03:33 AM
Earlier I suggested a few weapons that work for both melee and for throwing, that could be used as associated weapons for the discipline.

dagger, shortspear, spear, throwing axe, light hammer, trident

-------------------------------------------------

Sticking to thrown weapons (that can also be used in melee), helps limit the range as far as sniping is concerned. Besides, you have to hit and damage your target to get this maneuver to succeed.

I debated making the whole thing work like a thunderstone, but then you run into splash weapon rules that involve striking a hard surface or making a ranged touch attack upon a creature, which is easier to do. In addition, you'd then have to mark the difference between making a normal attack or a touch attack.

But yeah, as long as you can sneak up to the enemy without being noticed, I don't think the surprise round begins until you act in a way that gets you noticed by your enemy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose there could be a save for those that are not flat-footed, but I always felt the saving throws for maneuvers were limited in their ability to scale. If I could fix the lack of scaling to make maneuver save DCs competitive as the game advances, I would grant all creatures a saving throw (at a penalty if flat-footed).

What if the save DC of a maneuver were influenced by the highest maneuver level among maneuvers known within the same discipline? ( 10 + ability mod + highest maneuver level known within same discipline ) Then you would organize your maneuver save DCs by discipline.

LordErebus12
2014-12-22, 05:45 AM
Flash Bang Breach

~~~~

Should I add anything else to it?

Yeah... Storm Seeker should be usable by crusaders.

Earlier I suggested a few weapons that work for both melee and for throwing, that could be used as associated weapons for the discipline.

dagger, shortspear, spear, throwing axe, light hammer, trident

shame on you for forgetting club, dart, javelin, sai, and shuriken. :biggrin:

Andion Isurand
2014-12-22, 06:12 AM
Well, as far as I know, the only elemental energy based maneuvers originally made, are found in Swordsage exclusive disciplines.

If you make Storm Seeker available to Crusaders, Desert Wind might be urged to follow. ( Plus my current idea for expanding Shadow Hand to include more cold damage maneuvers would likely be scrapped. )

I get there is thematic relevance for thunder and lightning caused by divine beings, but I don't think Swordsages and Crusaders should work that theme using the same discipline...
...unless you explore the possibility of making some Storm Seeker maneuvers exclusive to Swordsage and some exclusive to Crusader.

-----------------------------------------

Sure, you could add Club and Sai to the list of associated weapons... but those others are considered improvised if used in melee... and given that most of existing/disciplines are still melee oriented... it might be wise to use that as a way of keeping the list confined.

LordErebus12
2014-12-22, 06:25 AM
Well, as far as I know, the only elemental energy based maneuvers originally made, are found in Swordsage exclusive disciplines.

If you make Storm Seeker available to Crusaders, Desert Wind might be urged to follow. ( Plus my current idea for expanding Shadow Hand to include more cold damage maneuvers would likely be scrapped. )

I get there is thematic relevance for thunder and lightning caused by divine beings, but I don't think Swordsages and Crusaders should work that theme using the same discipline...
...unless you explore the possibility of making some Storm Seeker maneuvers exclusive to Swordsage and some exclusive to Crusader.

I don't see why the crusader shouldn't also benefit from such a discipline.

what does everyone else think?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-22, 02:46 PM
I suppose there could be a save for those that are not flat-footed, but I always felt the saving throws for maneuvers were limited in their ability to scale. If I could fix the lack of scaling to make maneuver save DCs competitive as the game advances, I would grant all creatures a saving throw (at a penalty if flat-footed).

What if the save DC of a maneuver were influenced by the highest maneuver level among maneuvers known within the same discipline? ( 10 + ability mod + highest maneuver level known within same discipline ) Then you would organize your maneuver save DCs by discipline.

I like the idea for arranging save DCs by discipline. However, I'm not really a fan of letting Flash-Bang Breach affect non-flat-footed enemies. That limiting factor keeps it balanced, because AoE blind is pretty strong, even for only on round.

I don't see why the crusader shouldn't also benefit from such a discipline.

what does everyone else think?

I think it should be accessible to all three classes, but they have to trade away a discipline to gain access to Storm Seeker. Either it replaces Stone Dragon (which all three have), or (and I prefer this option) they choose which discipline to give up for Storm Seeker.

cameronpants
2014-12-22, 03:42 PM
I like the idea for arranging save DCs by discipline. However, I'm not really a fan of letting Flash-Bang Breach affect non-flat-footed enemies. That limiting factor keeps it balanced, because AoE blind is pretty strong, even for only on round.
It's not blind for a round- that would be way borked as a 1st level maneuver (color spray on steroids). No, it's just Dazzled, which is a -1 to attack rolls.
I do agree with you, however, after considering the implications of it. As written it works fine.

I think it should be accessible to all three classes, but they have to trade away a discipline to gain access to Storm Seeker. Either it replaces Stone Dragon (which all three have), or (and I prefer this option) they choose which discipline to give up for Storm Seeker.
I also agree with this. Swordsages are the only ones with elemental damage, sure; but those disciplines are also flashy, delicate affairs. I imagine Storm Seeker to be an amalgam of Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit but with a sonic/electricity theme. Direct, no-nonsense combat; brutal strikes with clear advantages; and energy-based shenanigans. I don't correlate Swordsage to Supernatural; I mean, Crusaders get Devoted Spirit which stitches wounds together and Warblades get Diamond Mind and Iron Heart which, if I am not mistaken, make an average guy move faster than the fastest man alive. I vote it is a replacement discipline much like Extra Anchovies said; they have to either replace a discipline, take a feat, or spend some XP and find a master if they wish to take maneuvers.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-22, 04:15 PM
It's not blind for a round- that would be way borked as a 1st level maneuver (color spray on steroids). No, it's just Dazzled, which is a -1 to attack rolls.
I do agree with you, however, after considering the implications of it. As written it works fine.

Whoops! It's deafened, not blinded :smallredface: Still gives that juicy initiative penalty, though.

LordErebus12
2014-12-22, 06:17 PM
New Discipline: Storm Seeker
Key Skill: Balance
Key Weapons: club, dagger, dart, javelin, light hammer, sai, shortspear, spear, shuriken, throwing axe, and trident.
Description: Combines throwing weapons with sonic/light based status effects, such as blindness and deafness, and sonic/electricity dealing attacks.

Table: 1st Level Storm Seeker Maneuvers

Maneuver/Stance Name
Type
Sub-Type
Short Description

Boost
Lightning

Boost
Wind

Counter
Wind

Counter
Thunder

Magnetism Stance
Stance
Lightning
The initiator’s body begins to radiate magnetic fields, granting it circumstantial bonuses when dealing with creature’s wearing/wielding metal armor or weapons, as well as creatures made of metal.

Stance
Thunder

Strike
Lightning

Flash Bang Breach
Strike
Thunder
Creates a blast of light and sound from a weapon attack, potentially dazzling and deafening creatures caught in the area of effect.

threw together some info on the OP, added some tables to help us plan this out. added our two maneuvers to the first level table.

LordErebus12
2014-12-22, 06:26 PM
Favorable Winds
Storm Seeker (Boost) [Wind]
Initiation Acton: 1 swift action
Target: One thrown weapon

You focus your ki into your weapon, causing the winds around the weapon to alter direction and accelerate. When thrown, the weapon's rotation speed is accelerated by these winds, allowing it to travel faster and farther.

Doubles the range increments for ranged weapons, as well as adding a +2 on attack rolls with all weapons thrown this round. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

This aids in hitting long range foes and adds a nice little bonus to hit them.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-22, 10:44 PM
If you are targeting a weapon with that boost, the range should be touch.

If you boost yourself instead, which might be the better option...

I think it could also make it so you are treated as one size larger for determining the effect that wind has on you.

I would also use the air descriptor for the wind maneuvers.

The revision below is more mutli-purpose, just in case we end up getting stances and maneuvers that enable flight by means of wind manipulation.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-22, 11:03 PM
Favorable Winds
Storm Seeker (Boost) [Wind]
Target: One thrown weapon

You focus your ki into your weapon, causing the winds around the weapon to alter direction and accelerate. When thrown, the weapon's rotation speed is accelerated by these winds, allowing it to travel faster and farther.

Doubles the range increments for ranged weapons, as well as adding a +2 on attack rolls with all weapons thrown this round. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

This aids in hitting long range foes and adds a nice little bonus to hit them.

Ushering Winds
Storm Seeker (Counter) [Air]
Initiation Acton: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
You manipulate the air about you to cushion your fall, shelter you from the wind and guide your weaponry.

For 1 round after initiating this maneuver, any damage you suffer from falling is reduced by half and rounded down. In addition, you are considered one size larger when determining the effect that wind has upon you. During this time, ranged attack rolls you make using weapons associated with the Storm Seeker discipline, or using projectile weapons that use arrows or bolts as ammunition, gain a +2 bonus and the benefit of the Zen Archery feat. This maneuver is a supernatural ability, and does not function underwater or in a vacuum.

---------------------------------------------------------

I took away the range increase, to curb the sniping concerns voiced earlier.

I specifically added arrows or bolts, because I didn't want to include futuristic ballistic or energy weapons which aren't as affected by the wind as much. I also did so because throwing weapons can be an expensive and cumbersome option for a full attack and thematically speaking, boosting melee attacks with this kind of wind effect doesn't really fly for me.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-23, 01:13 AM
Ushering Winds
Storm Seeker (Counter) [Air]
You manipulate the air about you to cushion your fall, shelter you from the wind and guide your weaponry.

For 1 round after initiating this maneuver, any damage you suffer from falling is reduced by half and rounded down. In addition, you are considered one size larger when determining the effect that wind has upon you. During this time, ranged attack rolls you make using weapons associated with the Storm Seeker discipline, gain a +2 bonus and the benefit of the Zen Archery feat. This maneuver is a supernatural ability, and does not function in a vacuum.

I like, but I think Zen Archery should be an optional benefit.

Also, are we going to use Thunderbrands, the stance from Erebus's earlier post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18552529&postcount=35)? I, for one, quite like it.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-23, 01:24 AM
Zen Archery doesn't force you to use your Wisdom over Dexterity, it just says you can.
I also updated my previous post.

Thunderbrands as a concept sounds alright to me, although I don't like forcing the two-weapon style, especially since many stances and boosts already favor those who get more attacks.

LordErebus12
2014-12-23, 01:44 AM
Also, are we going to use Thunderbrands, the stance from Erebus's earlier post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18552529&postcount=35)? I, for one, quite like it.

Thunderbrands
Storm Seeker (Stance) [electricity]
Level: Swordsage 3, Crusader 3
Range: Personal, both hands must be empty.

You create twin weapons of pure electricity, which crackle and hum with power.

Treat each weapon as a light melee weapon with can be thrown with a 20 ft. increment, although they vanish at the end of the round if not returned to the initiator. The initiator can re-initiate this stance each round to recreate these weapons if thrown. Each weapon deals 1d6 damage + 1d6 per eight initiator levels (3d6 max) + 1/2 strength modifier. The damage dealt is half electricity and half sonic.

------------------

I felt like they were too strong to be a first level stance.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-23, 07:00 AM
Discharging Torrent
Storm Seeker (Stance) [Electricity, Sonic]
Level: Swordsage 8
Prerequisite: Three Storm Seeker maneuvers
Duration: Stance
Electricity pulsates through you and your weaponry, thrumming malevolently.

While you are in this stance, every melee attack you make deals an extra 1d4 points of electricity damage and an extra 1d4 points of sonic damage. This stance is a supernatural ability.

-----------------------------------------------

After reducing the maneuver level of the Fiery Assault stance ( like the one above, dealing only 1d6 fire damage ) from 6 to 5 for my own blog (here (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html)), I figured this might make a good 8th level stance.

LordErebus12
2014-12-23, 09:37 AM
Thunderbrands
Storm Seeker (Stance) [electricity]
Range: Personal, both hands must be empty.

You create twin weapons of pure electricity, which crackle and hum with power.

Treat each weapon as a light melee weapon with can be thrown with a 20 ft. increment, although they vanish at the end of the round if not returned to the initiator. The initiator can re-initiate this stance each round to recreate these weapons if thrown. Each weapon deals 1d6 damage + 1d6 per six initiator levels (4d6 max) + 1/2 strength modifier. The damage dealt is half electricity and half sonic.

------------------

I felt like they were too strong to be a first level stance.

Discharging Torrent
Level: Swordsage 8

While you are in this stance, every melee attack you make deals an extra 1d4 points of electricity damage and an extra 1d4 points of sonic damage. This stance is a supernatural ability.

-----------------------------------------------

After reducing the maneuver level of the Fiery Assault stance ( like the one above, dealing only 1d6 fire damage ) from 6 to 5 for my own blog (here (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html)), I figured this might make a good 8th level stance.

Note:
Your 8th level stance deals +2d4 damage and is melee only. Power attack and larger weapons might benefit the most from such a thing.
My 3rd level stance deals 1d6 at 5th level, 2d6 at 6th, 3d6 at 12th level, and 4d6 at 16th level, plus 1/2 your strength modifier because its a light weapon. Furthermore, they can be thrown.

The balance seems off... although im not certain to which side.

LordErebus12
2014-12-23, 10:28 AM
Discharging Torrent
Prerequisite: One Storm Seeker maneuver

While you are in this stance, every melee or thrown attack you make deals an extra 1d6 points of electricity damage and an extra 1d4 points of sonic damage. This stance is a supernatural ability.

Thunder and Lightning
Level: Swordsage 6, Crusader 6
Prerequisite: Two Storm Seeker maneuvers
Range: Personal, one or more empty hands.

You create weapons of pure electricity, with hands crackling and humming with energy.

Electricity pulsates down into your empty hands, creating one (or more) light/one-handed weapons made of pure electricity and sound. Despite their size, they deal 2d6 electricity damage and 2d4 sonic damage on a successful melee or ranged attack, plus the appropriate amount of damage from your strength modifier (if any) based on weapon size. If thrown, these weapons have a ranged increment of 20 feet and vanish at the end of the round. Re-forming one or more weapons while in this stance is a swift action. This stance is a supernatural ability.

Stormbrand
Level: Swordsage 8, Crusader 8

You create a two handed weapon of pure electricity, with hands discharging archs of electricity across your body, which crackle and hiss with destructive power.

Electricity pulsates down into your empty hands, creating one two-handed weapon made of pure electricity and sound. This weapon deals 3d6 electricity damage and 3d4 sonic damage on a successful melee or ranged attack, plus twice your strength modifier (if any). If thrown, this weapon has a ranged increment of 30 feet and vanishes at the end of the round. Re-forming this weapon while in this stance is a swift action. This stance is a supernatural ability.

Upon each successful attack, the target must make a fortitude save or be deafened for 1d4 rounds and stunned for 1 round. A successful fortitude save reduces the effect to deafened for 1 round.

---

How about this?

cameronpants
2014-12-23, 10:56 AM
Ushering Wind seems to do a bunch for a single 1st level boost. Halving falling damage, being treated as larger, +2 to attacks, and Zen Archery? I'd likewise remove Zen Archery. It seems a tad too much and it would benefit different characters different amounts. Maneuvers tend to be ability score neutral (other than specific ability damage types), and I think we should keep it that way.

Discharging Torrent: Should work on discipline weapons only. Otherwise, I still vote this is a rather uninspired and weak stance. A piddly ~6 average elemental damage per attack? That's an extra couple points into Power Attack. Let's make stances that do more than just add a bit of damage.

Thunder and Lightning: This looks pretty fun. Of course, this does mean that its base weapon damage is four dice large. Huge Greatsword style. And it's tiny. There should be a clause about them being treated as any discipline weapon, or maybe all of them at once. Strength damage is never based on weapon size- only on/off hand and number of hands used.

Stormbrand: This sounds almost like an additional option for Thunder and Lightning rather than its own stance. The little bit of more damage is great and all, but having the multiple weapon stance earlier and the single two-handed one later is counter intuitive.

My Suggestions:
Discharging Torrent

While you are in this stance, every melee or thrown attack you make with a discipline weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage. Each attack this round deals an additional 1d6 damage for each successful attack you made before it. Half of this damage is electricity, the other half is sonic. This stance is a supernatural ability.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thunder and Lightning

You create weapons of pure energy, with hands crackling and humming with energy.

Energy pulsates down into your empty hands, creating one (or more) weapons made of pure electricity and sound. These weapons count as every discipline weapon while formed. When adopting this stance, you choose Thunder or Lightning. If you choose Thunder, you create a two-handed weapon made primarily of Sonic energy. This weapon deals 2d4 Sonic damage, has reach, and can be used for trip attacks, for which it gains a +2 bonus. If you choose Lightning, you create a number of one-handed weapons equal to the number of free hands you have. These weapons deal 2d6 Electricity damage, have no penalty to hit for being used in the off-hand, deal full strength damage for being used in the off-hand, and have a 20ft range increment. If thrown, these weapons vanish at the end of the round. Re-forming one or more weapons while in this stance is a swift action. This stance is a supernatural ability.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-23, 11:32 AM
Well, if you're not going to keep this discipline somewhat in line with the disciplines already in existence, then you might as well rewrite all of them first. I don't think you want this discipline to be quantitatively better than other disciplines, especially since its already working with the concept of supporting some ranged attacks.

How that I consider it more.... as far as focusing on discipline's associated weapons to prevent unforeseen interactions, I think the focus should only apply to the ranged attacks, and the maneuvers should work with any weapon used in melee.

cameronpants
2014-12-23, 05:15 PM
Well, if you're not going to keep this discipline somewhat in line with the disciplines already in existence, then you might as well rewrite all of them first. I don't think you want this discipline to be quantitatively better than other disciplines, especially since its already working with the concept of supporting some ranged attacks.

How that I consider it more.... as far as focusing on discipline's associated weapons to prevent unforeseen interactions, I think the focus should only apply to the ranged attacks, and the maneuvers should work with any weapon used in melee.

Okay, I agree Discharging Torrent, as written, can get silly. But Thunder and Lightning is very neutral and tame. It recreates a Spiked Chain or a +1 shortsword. The fact that their base damage is energy means they're more easily resistable, and the fact the stance is supernatural means the weapons go bye bye in AMFs.

Maybe make Discharging Torrent a 5th level boost, affect only a single full attack, and cap at 3d6 damage per strike?

Edit:
Idea for a counter. Sorry about no formatting, phone is lame.

Thunderous Clash (Counter 1) [Sonic]
You may initiate this maneuver when an opponent misses you in melee combat. You clash weapons with the attacker, and the resulting clash of noise and jarring motion shakes them momentarily. The attacker becomes flat-footed against the next attack made on them this round.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-23, 07:07 PM
However, there are already good boost series for elemental energy damage as demonstrated in Desert Wind, that one can translate into others like those written below. These boosts don't have to combine the two energy types either, and don't forget about the Swordsage's capstone for dual boosts 3/day.

Also, I shouldn't be limiting melee attack options, and will only limit the ranged attack options to using discipline associated weapons. I revised Flash Bang Breach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?387969-Lets-brew-a-discipline!-(Storm-Seeker)&p=18563094#post18563094) to illustrate.

Howling Blade
Storm Seeker (Boost) [Sonic]
Level: Swordsage 4
Duration: End of turn
Muted echoes rumble about you to unhinge upon your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra sonic damage equal to 2d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Lightning Blade
Storm Seeker (Boost) [Electricity]
Level: Swordsage 7
Bolts of electricity jump about you and arc into your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra electricity damage equal to 3d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Pandemonium Blade
Level: Swordsage 7
Cacophonous curtains of energy lie in wait about you, to break through your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra sonic damage equal to 3d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Roaring Blade
Fierce vibrations thrum about you and crash into your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra sonic damage equal to 1d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Shocking Blade
Level: Swordsage 4
Ribbons of electricity jump about you and arc into your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra electricity damage equal to 2d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Zapping Blade
Threads of electricity jump about you and arc into your foes as you strike them.

For the rest of your turn, your melee attacks deal extra electricity damage equal to 1d6 + your initiator level. This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-23, 08:26 PM
Thunderous Clash (Counter 1) [Sonic]
You may initiate this maneuver when an opponent misses you in melee combat. You clash weapons with the attacker, and the resulting clash of noise and jarring motion shakes them momentarily. The attacker becomes flat-footed against the next attack made on them this round.

Here's an alternative suggestion.

Thunderous Clash
Storm Seeker (Counter)
Level: Swordsage 2
Duration: Instantaneous
You clash weapons with your opponent, possibly depriving them of theirs with the resulting impact.

You may initiate this maneuver whenever an opponent misses you with a melee attack using a manufactured weapon. You instantly gain an additional attack of opportunity for the round, which may only be used to make a disarm or sunder attempt against the weapon that was just used against you, and you may do so even if you don't threaten the opponent using it. You gain the benefits of the Improved Disarm and Improved Sunder feats for this attack. For each of these feats you already possess, the numerical bonuses it provides increase by 4 while making this attack.

cameronpants
2014-12-24, 12:16 AM
Here's an alternative suggestion.

Thunderous Clash
Storm Seeker (Counter)
Level: Swordsage 2
Duration: Instantaneous
You clash weapons with your opponent, possibly depriving them of theirs with the resulting impact.

You may initiate this maneuver whenever an opponent misses a melee attack made against you using a manufactured weapon. You instantly gain an attack of opportunity against that weapon, in order to make a disarm or sunder attempt against it, even if you don't threaten the opponent using it. You gain the benefits of the Improved Disarm and Improved Sunder feats for this attack. For each of these feats you already possess, the numerical bonuses it provides increase by 4 while making this attack.

That's really well done. Works well as written, does something similar to my idea (debuff), and provides an active response to an attack (as opposed to my static one). Kudos.

Andion Isurand
2014-12-24, 01:25 AM
Thanks. Plus it its not suppressed by AMF or silence effects, and still fits the style of the discipline without tapping supernatural elemental forces. It may be hard to come up with more maneuvers that can work that way and keep the style well mixed.

So yeah, looking ahead, I guess I should aim to come up with more strikes that work with a throwing option.

Edit: Updated previously posted maneuver.