PDA

View Full Version : How angry would Roy be if he found out he had ghost powers

CaDzilla
2014-12-12, 07:24 PM
Obviously not now, but during DStP. There were so many ways that he could have resolved the plots if he knew he had telekinesis and possession . Obviously he didn't because then the story would've sucked. It'd just be really funny to see Roy really angry:smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2014-12-12, 07:46 PM
That's a pretty silly question. Of course he would be quite angry, but his actions were based on his inability to do anything besides watch in the material world.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-12, 08:50 PM
On a related topic, I would like to know how Eugene contacts Roy through the sword and ,for certain, why Roy can't do the same to others. It would have certainly been very different if Roy could have communicated with Haley or Elan.

CaDzilla
2014-12-12, 09:16 PM
On a related topic, I would like to know how Eugene contacts Roy through the sword and ,for certain, why Roy can't do the same to others. It would have certainly been very different if Roy could have communicated with Haley or Elan.
It's probably because Eugene's using the Greenhilt's ancestral relic as an access point. It might not work for non-Greenhilt's if it's family exclusive

Jay R
2014-12-12, 09:16 PM

If I understand correctly, it's a family bond. Roy could have communicated with Julia, if she had the sword, but not Haley or Elan.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-12, 09:25 PM
If I understand correctly, it's a family bond. Roy could have communicated with Julia, if she had the sword, but not Haley or Elan.

That answer makes sense. I just wish Eugene or someone would come out and say that's how it works. (Unless they did and I forgot, which would make this line of inquiry awkward).

Darth Paul
2014-12-12, 10:31 PM
That answer makes sense. I just wish Eugene or someone would come out and say that's how it works. (Unless they did and I forgot, which would make this line of inquiry awkward).

It's at least implied by Eugene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html) that the family heirloom lets Eugene talk to Roy, only; presumably other family members would be eligible, but non-family would not see/hear the ghost manifesting. I took it as pretty clear that the family connection was the key.

Ron Miel
2014-12-13, 05:36 AM
Eugene was visible to others in the trial scene.

ti'esar
2014-12-13, 05:49 AM
Eugene was visible to others in the trial scene.

That implicitly wasn't the same thing as his manifestations to Roy, though.

Reboot
2014-12-13, 06:57 AM
Didn't someone say before that it was explained in Start of Darkness, and Eugene could ONLY appear to Roy without external help (i.e., as in Shojo's throne room).

(Anyone who can confirm/refute, feel free!)

Rogar Demonblud
2014-12-13, 11:47 AM
Yeah, at the end of Eugene's Intake Interview. Whether or not it would've passed to Julia or if the Oath kind of hung fire while people were planning on rezzing Roy, we don't know. Even the Giant may not have bothered to figure that one out.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-12-15, 11:47 AM
And I would guess only actual blood relations would be included, so if Sarah had still been alive, it wouldn't allow her to be communicated with.

Could be an interesting way of getting a quest going in a game - someone obtains an item, but they happen to be something like the great^14th-grandchild of the original owner, whose spirit not only has to give them and aid them on the quest, but explain the entire family tree back to themselves.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-12-15, 12:11 PM
Throw in some automatic writing like Agents of SHIELD was using earlier this season for some more weirdness. I mean, what would you think if one of your friends started writing French in the style of the reign of Louis Quatorze?

Keltest
2014-12-15, 12:19 PM
And I would guess only actual blood relations would be included, so if Sarah had still been alive, it wouldn't allow her to be communicated with.

Could be an interesting way of getting a quest going in a game - someone obtains an item, but they happen to be something like the great^14th-grandchild of the original owner, whose spirit not only has to give them and aid them on the quest, but explain the entire family tree back to themselves.

Sarah as in Roy's biological mother?

How is she not a blood relation of Roy?

Roland Itiative
2014-12-15, 02:20 PM
That implicitly wasn't the same thing as his manifestations to Roy, though.
That explicitly wasn't the same. Eugene was actually summoned down to the material plane for that (although the summoner's intention was to bring a being of law, not a random ghost), rather than just coming under his own power.

Sarah as in Roy's biological mother?

How is she not a blood relation of Roy?
She's not blood related to the Greenhilts above Roy/Julia in the family tree. So as far as the Greenhilt sword is concerned, she would probably not count as "part of the family". If a family heirloom is necessary for this sort of communication to happen, Roy would probably need one from his mother's side of the family to talk to her in this hypothetical scenario.

Reboot
2014-12-15, 06:20 PM

Once you get to that level, unless you died childless there are probably more living people related to you than not, on at least a continental if not global level.

Keltest
2014-12-15, 06:37 PM
Once you get to that level, unless you died childless there are probably more living people related to you than not, on at least a continental if not global level.

Heck, that just makes the idea more plausible.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-12-16, 08:07 AM
She's not blood related to the Greenhilts above Roy/Julia in the family tree. So as far as the Greenhilt sword is concerned, she would probably not count as "part of the family". If a family heirloom is necessary for this sort of communication to happen, Roy would probably need one from his mother's side of the family to talk to her in this hypothetical scenario.
Exactly.

If we assume 2 children per descendant per generation (some may have more children, but some may die childless), 2^16 (14 greats, and the 2 generations to cover the grandchild bit) is 65536 members of your generation, plus those surviving from the previous generations (as a rough guesstimate, call it 100,000 people total?).

By comparison, the Great Plague wiped out around 60,000 people in the City of London, which was roughly 20% of the population at the time. So while your forebear could have effectively populated a large town or maybe a small city with their bloodline, they're a long way off a continent.

And yes, ok, if we assume 3 children, that puts it up at around 43 million, and 4's 4.2 billion. :smallsmile:

Rogar Demonblud
2014-12-16, 11:23 AM
For a frame of reference, Charlemagne is an ancestor for about half of Europe. That'd be 1200 years or so.

Zmeoaice
2014-12-16, 11:26 AM
Obviously not now, but during DStP. There were so many ways that he could have resolved the plots if he knew he had telekinesis and possession

Did he? We don't know if he was the same type of ghost that is in the manual.

littlebum2002
2014-12-16, 11:37 AM
Exactly.

If we assume 2 children per descendant per generation (some may have more children, but some may die childless), 2^16 (14 greats, and the 2 generations to cover the grandchild bit) is 65536 members of your generation, plus those surviving from the previous generations (as a rough guesstimate, call it 100,000 people total?).

By comparison, the Great Plague wiped out around 60,000 people in the City of London, which was roughly 20% of the population at the time. So while your forebear could have effectively populated a large town or maybe a small city with their bloodline, they're a long way off a continent.

And yes, ok, if we assume 3 children, that puts it up at around 43 million, and 4's 4.2 billion. :smallsmile:

Wow, I'm pretty sure we had this EXACT same discussion when talking about black dragons.

137beth
2014-12-26, 02:58 AM
Wow, I'm pretty sure we had this EXACT same discussion when talking about black dragons.

Well, maybe the bond from the sword is weaker than that of familicide--it requires relatives to be sufficiently close to work.

Dodom
2014-12-26, 11:23 AM
How angry would Roy be if he found out he had ghost powers
*spreads hands some distance from one another*
THAT much! :smallbiggrin:

brian 333
2014-12-26, 12:20 PM
Eugene was able to contact Roy by the same method he was able to scry on the mortal realm: he is a wizard. Roy, not being a wizard, could not scry on the mortal realm without help.

It was only Roy's speculation that made the Sword any part of the equation, though it may well have helped Eugene to have a familiar item upon which to focus while casting his Etheral Jaunt, or whichever means of projection he used to appear to Roy.

Possession and telekinesis are also wizard's spells. Roy really blew it by not going to Wizard College. Now had Roy been reanimated as a poltergeist he would have had ample opportunity to screw with the remaining OotS gang, but then he would have missed out on his meeting with Eric.

Keltest
2014-12-26, 12:25 PM
It was only Roy's speculation that made the Sword any part of the equation, though it may well have helped Eugene to have a familiar item upon which to focus while casting his Etheral Jaunt, or whichever means of projection he used to appear to Roy.

well, not quite. Eugene specifically told Roy that he needed the sword to contact Roy at all, and while its entirely possible he was lying just because its Roy, that then begs the question of why he actually ended up answering the Azurites' summons.

Bulldog Psion
2014-12-26, 01:05 PM
Isn't Roy more of an "oathspirit" (for which we have no particular stats) rather than a "ghost" (which has D&D stats)?

jamiah93
2014-12-26, 03:45 PM
I dont think Roy ever had any ghost powers because he got Dismissed by the oracle in 572, leading me to believe he was just some type of Outsider with unknown if any power.

i dont even think Eugene was a proper ghost, just an Outsider with magical know-how.