PDA

View Full Version : Blackguard: Level Trade-In

melchizedek
2007-03-28, 03:57 AM
I'm going to play a 16th level character who has just taken a level of blackguard. This character will have 15 previous levels of Paladin.

If I take a level in Blackguard, I should be able to trade in nine levels of paladin to become a Paladin 6/Blackguard 10, correct? Would this be superior to trading in only 5 levels of Paladin? That would make me a Paladin 10/Blackguard 6, but would allow me to continue advancing as a Blackguard, giving me Paladin 10/Blackguard 10 at level 20. If trading in the levels is superior, what would be the best way to continue advancing the character?

marjan
2007-03-28, 04:07 AM
Trading levels would be better deal. As for rest of the levels you may consider Fighter for bonus feats or Kensai (if you can afford it) to get enhancements to your weapon.

Caewil
2007-03-28, 04:14 AM
Trade in 6 levels. You get the same bonuses as 10 with 9 levels of ex-paladin. Take the last level in fighter or something.

melchizedek
2007-03-28, 04:16 AM
Actually having 10 Levels of Paladin gives you smite good one extra time per day.

Edit: Nevermind. On looking through a third time, I realized that you actually need 11 levels of Paladin to gain the fourth smite good.

its_all_ogre
2007-03-28, 04:18 AM
and the undead servant which i personally love and a fiendish servant.
further levels in ftr/brb or psy warrior could also be good.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-28, 04:58 AM
Nod. 9 levels in Ex-Paladin is all you really need. Rogue would up your Sneak Attack progression. Hexblade would give you Charisma to saves vs spells(only, I think), and Mettle. The Curse would make any spells or special attacks land easier(although the save DC is probably gonna be pretty low). Combining two classes with spells is probably a bad idea, although the Hexblade might grant some spells that Blackguard doesn't, so the trade-off might be worth it(probably not). Ninja or Monk(if still Lawful) would let you get Wisdom(which should be at least 14 for all Blackguard spells to be available) to AC, which could be useful. Taking a couple levels in some transformative class might be interesting, although the only short one I can think of offhand would be Dragon Devotee, which would give you a level or two of Sorceror spells(may or may not be useful), and some natural attacks(small dice, but still, more attacks=more SA damage).

Person_Man
2007-03-28, 09:18 AM
Trading in Paladin levels is very suboptimal. Re-read the Blackguard description. You can either keep your Paladin levels, lose your Paladin powers, and trade them in for some lousy abilities, OR you can trade in your Paladin levels for Blackguard levels (still wasting at least one useless level on Paladin. If you're doing it for fluff reason, I would suggest:

Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10/Avenging Executioner 5
(You were an 11th level Paladin, you traded in 10 levels to become a Blackguard, and then headed into the Avenging Executioner PrC)

But a much better Blackguard build would be:

Hexblade 4/Fighter 2/Blackguard 10

Buy a ring of Evasion, and you'll be set.

cupkeyk
2007-03-29, 02:13 AM
Hmmn, Consider taking eleven paladin levels, take one level of Ur-Priest before taking a level of Blackguard. You will end up as Fallen Paladin 1, Blackguard 10, Ur-Priest 5. More spells , neat abilities.

The order is important since you cannot qualify for Ur-Priest as a black guard but you may progress the PRC after the swap.

Rigeld2
2007-03-29, 07:31 AM
Actually, you can qualify just fine. You just have to forsake your divine spellcasting.