PDA

View Full Version : The Shield Anvil: To defend the innocent

Blackhawk748
2014-12-12, 08:02 PM
Ive had this idea for awhile, a Paladin who focuses on defending others. Armed with a shield and hammer (most likely) he is the rock that evil breaks upon. Obviously this means he is more defensively oriented than your average paladin, who are generally concerned with charging into dens of evil to purge them, greatswords alight with holy fire (ie: BURN HERETIC) Whereas our Shield Anvil will go into those dens and slowly and methodically route the enemy, preferring to take prisoners over killing them.

So build wise i kinda know where im going (sorta) but im looking for a god, as i dont like Pelor, Cuthbert is an unforgiving jerk, and Heronious is a bit to "Smite Happy". So im looking for a god of Protection and Mercy (yes this is ungodly specific)

The basic build outline is as such: Human Paladin with Shield Ward and Protection Devotion, maybe get Divine Shield. Other than that it is very open. Thanks a bunch.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-12, 08:06 PM
Dip a Crusader level or two for Iron Guard's Glare (to make sure your high AC still counts) and Shield Block, as well as (possibly) Thicket of Blades. Crusader in general is a better paladin-type than the Paladin is, but if you want to stick with actual Paladin levels that's fine.

Regarding deities, Syreth (Complete Warrior) is a martial-focused NG deity with Community and Protection as her portfolio. Her holy symbol is even a shield! Alternately, you could go with Halmyr (LN, strategy and skill). The Complete Warrior gods are, in general, pretty darn cool.

TheBarbecueChip
2014-12-12, 08:21 PM
Have you considered the Knight Class? (Player's Handbook 2)
D12, an emphasis on shields, the ability to call someone out, a code of conduct much like a paladin's, at later levels you actually gain the ability to take half of the damage from an attack for an adjacent ally.

Namfuak
2014-12-12, 08:33 PM
It seems like an obvious choice but Moradin hasn't been mentioned yet, protection is one of his domains. As for class, crusader is an obvious choice, maybe even prestige into deepstone sentinel from the same book. Its main ability creates difficult terrain around you which effectively forces enemies to deal with you, especially if a lot of your campaign revolves around dungeon crawls rather than overworld combat.

Blackhawk748
2014-12-12, 10:24 PM
Dip a Crusader level or two for Iron Guard's Glare (to make sure your high AC still counts) and Shield Block, as well as (possibly) Thicket of Blades. Crusader in general is a better paladin-type than the Paladin is, but if you want to stick with actual Paladin levels that's fine.

Regarding deities, Syreth (Complete Warrior) is a martial-focused NG deity with Community and Protection as her portfolio. Her holy symbol is even a shield! Alternately, you could go with Halmyr (LN, strategy and skill). The Complete Warrior gods are, in general, pretty darn cool.

I figured a Crusader Dip was pretty much obligatory to make me "sticky", that or i blow 2 feats to get it. So when should i take this 1 or 2 level dip?

Hazrond
2014-12-12, 10:27 PM
Pathfinder has a wonderful line of feats for this called Archon Style, which let you take attacks for adjacent allies, if you could gestalt with a monk then going Master of Many Styles monk and Paladin would let you have both archon style and crane style up at the same time, allowing you to catch an opponents blade and deflect it for no damage

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-13, 02:13 AM
I figured a Crusader Dip was pretty much obligatory to make me "sticky", that or i blow 2 feats to get it. So when should i take this 1 or 2 level dip?

Thicket of Blades is a third-level stance, so your second Crusader level should come at character level 8. The first level can be anytime before.

If you aren't married to the Paladin class, though, I'd recommend straight Crusader. You can still be a pile of Smite if you want; Extra Smiting from Complete Warrior gives you two more each time you take it.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-13, 02:28 AM
If you're good with a celestial paragon instead of a deity, there's Sealtiel from BoED and his associated PrC. Might be a good fit if you can swing an exalted paladin.

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-13, 04:43 AM
Protection Devotion may be worth a feat. 1/day IA to grant a 2+(1/4ECL) sacred bonus to AC to yourself and all allies within 30ft for one minute. You can spend three turn attempts to get another usage (as many times as you can sustain it).

Ellowryn
2014-12-13, 10:24 AM
Probably something like Dwarven Paladin 4/Knight 3/Crusader 8/Deepstone Sentinel 5. Gets you 3 stances, 11 maneuvers known, 6 maneuvers readied, Steely Resolve 15, Turning (and the other good pally abilities), and Bulwark of Defense. Overall very tanky, and you take the EWP for that onehanded reach weapon (can't remember its name) and a shield, and other stuff like standstill and you will be very good at locking opponents down.

Blackhawk748
2014-12-13, 05:59 PM
If you're good with a celestial paragon instead of a deity, there's Sealtiel from BoED and his associated PrC. Might be a good fit if you can swing an exalted paladin.

That PrC looks great, but oh god the feat tax! Guess im just gonna have to eat that.