PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Duergar, Svirfneblin, and Winged Dragonborn and Tieflings (PEACH)

Xne7
2014-12-12, 09:45 PM
Hello everyone! I've recently been doing some work to further equalize the power levels of the Player's Handbook races, and along the way I've modified a few subraces and optional attributes in. Although I've been a reader of these forums for a number of years, this is the first time I'm posting, so if there's anything I should be doing differently please let me know.

Mostly, I'm thinking of starting a campaign between a few friends and I, and would really like to hear your thoughts on how these changes will affect the balance of the game.

Dwarf Subrace: Gray Dwarf (Duergar)
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Duergar Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, spells, and illusions, as well as to resist being charmed or paralyzed.
Enlarge. For 1 minute per long rest, you magically increases in size, along with anything you are wearing or carrying. While enlarged, you are Large, double your damage dice on Strength-based weapon attacks, and make Strength checks and Strength saving throws with advantage. If you lack the room to become Large, you attain the maximum size possible in the space available.

I had originally considered giving Duergar a bonus to Strength rather than Dexterity, and changed it mainly because Mountain Dwarves already gain a bonus to Strength. It also fits with the lore of Duergar being more sneaky than their cousins on the surface.

Gnome Subrace: Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin)
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Stonecunning. Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Natural Invisibility. You magically turn invisible until you attack, cast a spell, or your concentration is broken, for up to 1 hour per long rest. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying is invisible as well.

Optional Dragonborn and Tiefling Attribute: Wings
Dragonborn Flying. You gain a fly speed of 10 feet. For every 10 minutes you spend flying between short rests, you suffer one level of exhaustion.

Tiefling Gliding. For every 5 feet you fall, you may move 10 feet in any direction. For every minute you spend gliding between short rests, you suffer one level of exhaustion.

Other Race Changes
Halfling
Halfling Social Expertise. You are proficient in the Insight, Deception, and Persuasion skills.

Mountain Dwarf
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1, rather than 2.
Dwarven Shield Training. You have proficiency with shields, along with the benefits granted by Dwarven Armor Training.

Variant Human
Skills. You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice, rather than one.