PDA

View Full Version : DMG - Bag of tricks

Iolo Morganwg
2014-12-13, 01:36 AM
Just finished reading this entry. From the RAW, it looks like the animals never go away. Am I missing something?

Eslin
2014-12-13, 01:46 AM
No you aren't - it's merely an uncommon item so not difficult to obtain and I threw it in as loot recently - the player pulled two giant badgers and a weasel out and after a while asked when they disappeared, one answer that they don't later and they are all riding giant elk, with dire wolves as backup mounts.

DMG has plenty of weird stuff, some of which is obviously unintentional (like the tentacle rod allowing it to repeat the saving throw but not having a saving throw in the first place), and it's difficult to gauge whether this was deliberate or not.

Iolo Morganwg
2014-12-13, 02:01 AM
AFB from my first ed. and 3.5 DMGs, but they both had time limits. 10 minutes I think.

I'll see how it goes in practice first, but my hunch is that I'll houserule some time limit.

Eslin
2014-12-13, 02:13 AM
AFB from my first ed. and 3.5 DMGs, but they both had time limits. 10 minutes I think.

I'll see how it goes in practice first, but my hunch is that I'll houserule some time limit.

I know how it goes in practise, the players get several large animals each and use them until ordering them as a bonus action stops being efficient.

Envyus
2014-12-13, 02:29 AM
DMG has plenty of weird stuff, some of which is obviously unintentional (like the tentacle rod allowing it to repeat the saving throw but not having a saving throw in the first place), and it's difficult to gauge whether this was deliberate or not.

This is a mistake on your part. It does have a saving throw. DC 15 Con.

Eslin
2014-12-13, 03:08 AM
This is a mistake on your part. It does have a saving throw. DC 15 Con.

I actually meant the wand, ended up writing tentacle because I was designing an NPC with one >.<

(level 2 diviner wizard, portent and lucky gonna make her really annoying to fight for a level 2 character)

Osiris
2014-12-13, 10:19 AM
I actually meant the wand, ended up writing tentacle because I was designing an NPC with one >.<

(level 2 diviner wizard, portent and lucky gonna make her really annoying to fight for a level 2 character)

How'd you get a feat before level four? Variant human?

If not, Halfling would be a good choice. Portent + halfling luck + lucky feat (can be obtainable at level four) = rerolls galore. Then multiclass into sorcerer to get Wild magic and Tides of Chaos.

Eslin
2014-12-13, 10:46 AM
How'd you get a feat before level four? Variant human?

If not, Halfling would be a good choice. Portent + halfling luck + lucky feat (can be obtainable at level four) = rerolls galore. Then multiclass into sorcerer to get Wild magic and Tides of Chaos.

Variant human, yeah. The players are going to be aware she's level two and are going to get very frustrated =P