PDA

View Full Version : Dose tippverse has any campaign log or module?

With a box
2014-12-13, 02:33 AM
Or I won't mind other campaign that is super high op..

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-13, 03:06 AM
He's posted the basic premise in the past. I imagine he, or someone else, will be a long to provide a link any time now.

I also seem to recall "Points of Light" as a key phrase of some sort. Try googling that.

Emperor Tippy
2014-12-13, 03:40 AM
I've never posted logs.

Way too much work for me as it means either typing out long hand notes, many of which are basically nothing more than memory cues and references to other pieces of material, or converting propitiatory database entries and file formats into something that is readable by other systems.

Neither has enough of a return for me to spend the time or effort required to do it or have it done.

If anyone else has typed up a log or journal of their own games in a Tippyverse style setting I would be interested in seeing it but I don't actually know of any. Maybe search the In character PBP section on these forums for one of the "Tippyverse" games that people have run over the years.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-13, 12:16 PM
Here. These might prove helpful.

Don't let the title fool you. This discussion covers some of the basics in a way that's a little easier to understand. Towards the end anyway. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325098-How-do-I-Beat-Magic-users-in-the-Tippyverse)

This one is the thread by the man himself. You'll probably want to read this first. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222007-The-Definitive-Guide-to-the-Tippyverse-By-Emperor-Tippy)

This isn't important but it is kinda interesting. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16535651&postcount=58)

SiuiS
2014-12-13, 01:50 PM
I've never posted logs.

Way too much work for me as it means either typing out long hand notes, many of which are basically nothing more than memory cues and references to other pieces of material, or converting propitiatory database entries and file formats into something that is readable by other systems.

Neither has enough of a return for me to spend the time or effort required to do it or have it done.

If anyone else has typed up a log or journal of their own games in a Tippyverse style setting I would be interested in seeing it but I don't actually know of any. Maybe search the In character PBP section on these forums for one of the "Tippyverse" games that people have run over the years.

Just as a thought exercise, how much money would a hypothetical 'support tippy to do the thing' fund drive need to make to get you to buckle down and write out this stuff more concretely? Not as something I'll likely do, but as a morbid way to get a handle on the time involved and how you price the value of your time.

The Glyphstone
2014-12-13, 01:54 PM
Just as a thought exercise, how much money would a hypothetical 'support tippy to do the thing' fund drive need to make to get you to buckle down and write out this stuff more concretely? Not as something I'll likely do, but as a morbid way to get a handle on the time involved and how you price the value of your time.

One...billion...dollars.
http://camerafraud.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/austin_powers_mike_myers_as_dr_evil2.jpg

herrhauptmann
2014-12-13, 06:47 PM

At a guess we should start with what Tippy earns at work. If Tippy earns 30/hour, then we should probably pay Tippy 45/hour. Reason: Tippy already has a (fulltime?) job; and this is likely to take a lot of time, equivalent to working a second job or doing a lot of overtime. I don't know what job Tippy works, but I think we'd be looking at 1000 per week or more.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-13, 06:57 PM
At a guess we should start with what Tippy earns at work. If Tippy earns 30/hour, then we should probably pay Tippy 45/hour. Reason: Tippy already has a (fulltime?) job; and this is likely to take a lot of time, equivalent to working a second job or doing a lot of overtime. I don't know what job Tippy works, but I think we'd be looking at 1000 per week or more.

IIRC, he does something in accounting or engineering or something like that. Something involving a lot of complex math and problem solving. That is: something that pays pretty well or almost not at all, depending on whether you can get steady work.

Emperor Tippy
2014-12-13, 07:18 PM

A whole lot. I have a good chunk of stuff (not journals but setting source books, adventure modules, etc.) ready or almost ready for sale but the profitability projections don't make it worthwhile to release at the moment. Frankly, they were all typed up and created as basically nothing more than a teaser and a hook to get people interested in a system that makes playing table top RPG's of all kinds over the internet significantly easier and more player/DM friendly but that part of the project ran into legal issues that are still unresolved, and it is where the money and growth potential relevant to me exists.

Just selling the books or the like has a fairly limited potential income and is directly competing with WotC, Pathfinder, and a dozen other third party publishers. It also requires the continued investment of time and effort to create high quality source books and content, which would mean hiring a whole staff to do just that and thus eat even deeper into profit margins, well that or just accepting that the brand would go defunct once the backlog from my own gaming activities over the past decade or so has run out.

It is possible that something related to this whole topic will occur within the next half a year or so but that is contingent on an associate of mine deciding to go through with an idea he had and my being willing to give up on the larger project as something that either needs to be scaled back significantly or shelved entirely.

One...billion...dollars.

That would do it. I'll be kind, you can even shave off a zero and it would be enough. :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2014-12-13, 07:46 PM
That is: something that pays pretty well or almost not at all, depending on whether you can get steady work.
As an engineer, that sounds about right. Unless he's a doctorate in engineering, then he gets paid almost nothing without Tenure at a university.

With a box
2014-12-13, 08:18 PM
As an engineer, that sounds about right. Unless he's a doctorate in engineering, then he gets paid almost nothing without Tenure at a university.

But you need to be doctorated before be an professer and be tenured.

herrhauptmann
2014-12-13, 08:31 PM

I think you missed a word in there.
Yes, professors need a doctorate before they can be tenured. But non-tenure doctorates don't make much, barely more than non-doctorate instructors.

Alent
2014-12-13, 08:41 PM

That typo has me imagining a messed up Dalek as a university dean going "DOCTORATE! DOCTORATE! DOCTORATE!"

Lanson
2014-12-13, 08:55 PM
Tippy, have you considered setting up a kickstarter? You have quite a following in the forums, and I'm sure some of us would be willing to part with cash. I don't know how many would be willing to pay up, but I'm sure you could get a backbone of support started. Though entrepreneurship is very time connuming, probably best to wait for (early) retirement. :)

This is just idle musing though, don't take it as financial or legal advice.

Emperor Tippy
2014-12-13, 09:21 PM
Tippy, have you considered setting up a kickstarter? You have quite a following in the forums, and I'm sure some of us would be willing to part with cash. I don't know how many would be willing to pay up, but I'm sure you could get a backbone of support started. Though entrepreneurship is very time connuming, probably best to wait for (early) retirement. :)

This is just idle musing though, don't take it as financial or legal advice.

It is part of the business plan that I have sitting around for that whole project but as I have repeatedly said, I'm not going to be touching it until various legal issues get sorted out.

To be clear, there isn't enough money in just publishing table top RPG books for it to be a worthwhile endeavor for me to peruse.

Exegesis
2014-12-13, 11:34 PM
@Emperor Tippy
Every hour valuable=understandable, but what most people who wanted to read a Tippyverse game log would probably be looking for is less a novel than a concrete idea of what such a game would even look like...something just a 1000-word summary of a game you've played would likely go a long way towards answering.