PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder More Exciting/Better Scaling Barbarian Rage Powers. (Brainstorming)

DoomHat
2014-12-13, 07:03 AM
--I was thinking about how to add "equivalent exchange" style costs to performing arcane magic, and it accrued to me how high a cost Barbarians have to pay for such a comparatively low reward.

Then I got to thinking about the all stuff media generally trains one to expect from high level berserkers in American action movies and anime alike.

The quick, easy, down and dirty solution I think would be to just add Rage Powers that let the Barbarian perform certain spell-like abilities while Raging. Spell-like abilities cost a standard action, so this effectively costs them a round of their Rage use.

Examples:
Feral Focus(Ex):
While Raging, you may cast True Strike as a Spell-like Ability. This counts as an Extraordinary Ability.

Giant's Rage(Sp):
While Raging, you may cast Enlarge Person on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. Its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

Available at level must be 4th and above.
Unthinkable Endurance(Sp):
While Raging, you may cast Resist Energy on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. Its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

None May Hide(Ex):
While Raging, you may cast See Invisibility on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. Its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

Swing for the Head(Ex):
Once per encounter while Raging, you may cast Touch of Idiocy as a Spell-like Ability. This counts as an Extraordinary Ability.

Unsettling Seizures(Ex):
While Raging, you may cast Blur on yourself as a Spell-like Ability to represent your unpredictable spasmodic movements. This counts as an Extraordinary Ability and its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

Redoubled Anger(Ex):
While Raging, you may cast Bear's Endurance or Bull's Strength on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. This counts as an Extraordinary Ability and its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

Available at level must be 6th and above.
The Beast from Within(Sp):
While Raging, you may cast Beast Shape I on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. You may only become a medium animal, and its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

Adrenalin Rush(Ex):
While Raging, you may cast Haste on yourself as a Spell-like Ability. This counts as an Extraordinary Ability and its duration expires when your current Rage ends.

What do you guys think?

redwizard007
2014-12-13, 03:43 PM
Freaking LOVE it! This extends remarkably well to paladins - triggered with a smite.

How do we balance with fighters and rangers? What about rogues and monks?

DoomHat
2014-12-13, 05:50 PM
Monks are easy. Just give them the option to buy feats which allow them to spend Ki points to use specific theme appropriate spells as spell-like abilities.

For Rogues, let the Major Magic Rogue Talent suck less. The end. Remove the Minor Magic prerequisite, and let them aquire whatever a sorcerer has access to at an equal level.

There's no easy answer for Fighters and Rangers. Fighters are a little easier, all you have to do is make combat feats scale by level and suck less overall.

Rangers are just hosed. Start by giving them Hide In Plain Sight at level 4 and then work from there. Replace Favored Terrains and Enemies with bonus combat feats and they'll be fixed by whatever you give the fighter.