PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Advancement

Daishain
2014-12-13, 02:52 PM
I'm running a polearm focused Oath of Ancients paladin in my current campaign. Having a blast with him at the moment as the party's first line of BFC, but quickly burning out spell slots over the course of a long day has been problematic in the past. We tend to get plenty of opportunities for a short rest, but not a long one. A near complete lack of options for dealing with large groups and enemies at range has also hurt a great deal.

For this as well as other reasons, I am considering, after hitting level seven and a certain ward coming online, multiclassing for three levels of Archfey Warlock. I'd be losing a little bit of HP, and about 15 points of LOH pool. Delaying my third aura and other features might also hurt a little bit, but I'm not too concerned about that in the context of our campaign. In exchange, among several other things, I get two rechargeable SL2 spell slots, and access to four spells chosen from a list quite different to my own. All in all, I see it as a significant boost in versatility and staying power.

Other choices: EB and prestidigitation cantrips, blade pact, repelling blast, undecided on second invocation.

I'm not entirely certain yet how to handle the fluff. My guy would definitely be interested in expanding his ability to "defend the light", but not so much in power for its own sake, or in being bound to the service of a creature of largely unknowable motives. I was thinking of talking with the DM about re-flavoring it in this particular case as being more a matter of requesting the party druid to teach him more of the magic that can be drawn from nature. Honestly, multiclassing druid or nature/light cleric would be more in line fluffwise with what he wants to accomplish, it just doesn't work out from a mechanical standpoint.

(Note for context: DM has ruled that ABIs/feats are gained every four levels regardless of multiclassing. Fighters and rogues get their extras at the appropriate class levels. Also, we are almost certainly not going to reach level 20, so capstones are not a factor)

In any event, what do you guys think? Any problems I may have overlooked?

pwykersotz
2014-12-13, 03:05 PM
A pact with Oberron. You definitely want a pact with Oberron. :smallbiggrin:

How many short rests on average? You might consider Sorcerer instead for more spell slots if that averages more for your daily usage. Otherwise, your build looks good to me.

Daishain
2014-12-13, 03:17 PM
A pact with Oberron. You definitely want a pact with Oberron. :smallbiggrin:

How many short rests on average? You might consider Sorcerer instead for more spell slots if that averages more for your daily usage. Otherwise, your build looks good to me.
Haven't exactly been keeping a specific count, but the average is probably somewhere around 2.5 short rests per day. Meaning an expected range of 6-8 extra 2nd level spell slots from the warlock (if they all get used in a timely fashion of course). I'm afb, but I don't think sorcerer can quite keep up at that rate, at least not without investing several more levels.

Starsinger
2014-12-13, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure if this was your plan or not, but you know you can't smite with those Warlock slots, right?

pwykersotz
2014-12-13, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure if this was your plan or not, but you know you can't smite with those Warlock slots, right?

He can. Crawford confirmed it. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/542138975247269888)

Jbones
2014-12-13, 05:28 PM
This was answered by Mike Mearls back in November. He says no

http://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/tag/paladin/

pwykersotz
2014-12-13, 05:39 PM
This was answered by Mike Mearls back in November. He says no

http://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/tag/paladin/

Mearls has stated that Crawford overrules him on rules issues. Confusing? Yes. But Crawford is voice of god on this one.

MeeposFire
2014-12-14, 01:11 AM
Or just make your own decisions because clearly that is what they are doing too.

pwykersotz
2014-12-14, 01:17 AM
Or just make your own decisions because clearly that is what they are doing too.

Also a relevant answer. :smallbiggrin:

odigity
2014-12-14, 03:55 AM
I'm running a polearm focused Oath of Ancients paladin in my current campaign.

I'm playing a similiar character (human Oath of Anciens Paladin with Halberd and Polearm Master), except I'm planning to dip up to seven levels of Fiend Warlock so that I end up with 4th lvl Paladin spells and 4th lvl Warlock slots.

A near complete lack of options for dealing with large groups and enemies at range has also hurt a great deal.

I'm still level 3, so all I've got so far are javelins, but Oath of Ancients provides AoE spells at levels 5 (Moonbeam) and 13 (Ice Storm). Warlock will obviously provide EB (take both Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast, they're both great), and Fiend pact spell list is full of fire AoEs, so that will help.

I'm not entirely certain yet how to handle the fluff. My guy would definitely be interested in expanding his ability to "defend the light", but not so much in power for its own sake, or in being bound to the service of a creature of largely unknowable motives.

I'm actually looking forward to playing my char is truly wanting power to do good, regardless of the source/nature, and letting him get deep into darkness while still following a code. I hope to make use of flavorful spells and abilities like Devil's Sight and Hunger of Hadar.

Daishain
2014-12-14, 07:55 AM
snip
Moonbeam is definitely among the cherished weapons in the arsenal, especially since we've been facing jackalweres of late, but catching more than two enemies at a time with it can be quite difficult, and our DM likes throwing particularly large groups in to challenge us (we faced 20 of the bastards the other day, some quick thinking using a half full barrel of flammable oil we'd been hauling around saved our bacon). Ice Storm is anticipated, but won't come online for a good while.

My guy has issues with even the archfey pact due to his background (lets just say that he mistrusts authority a lot more than I do), but the fiend pact is definitely out of bounds so far as he is concerned. Ultimately, all pacts requires a price of some kind to be met, often on a fairly constant basis. Almost invariably, the fiend pact will require doing evil. In fact, the greater the good you manage to do with the power, the greater the depravity the devil will be interested in inflicting in order for you to keep said power. The devil probably will avoid making the full impact of his price known to someone like you, at least until far too late, but it shouldn't take much in the way of an insight roll to know he's not interested in running an orphanage (unless its a secret indoctrination camp and training ground for doppleganger children or something). Even if one ignores that part, the archfiend benefits are all about inflicting pain and reveling in death.

Feel free to do as you wish with your paladin, but I really don't think that is a path I will take.