PDA

View Full Version : spelltheif help, boosting level check

kulosle
2014-12-13, 04:48 PM
Making a spelltheif, character starts at level 10, dont need to all be in spelltheif. All 3.P and dragon mags allowed. But i dont want books thrown at me.

First question, is it possible to up a level check to help with absorb spell.

Second, whats the best way to get the most attacks. Two level dip in totemist? Many shot seems too feat intensive.

Any other tips? Im thinking dip into rogue so that i can sneak attack undead. Ive read the handbook. It has a few tips but not much, but not much for build help.
Thanks in advance

nedz
2014-12-13, 05:21 PM
Making a spelltheif, character starts at level 10, dont need to all be in spelltheif. All 3.P and dragon mags allowed. But i dont want books thrown at me.

First question, is it possible to up a level check to help with absorb spell.

Second, whats the best way to get the most attacks. Two level dip in totemist? Many shot seems too feat intensive.

Any other tips? Im thinking dip into rogue so that i can sneak attack undead. Ive read the handbook. It has a few tips but not much, but not much for build help.
Thanks in advance

Spellthief 1 / Caster 4 / Unseen Seer 10 is a fairly standard approach — utilising the Master Spellthief feat (CSco IIRC) but that does limit you to only being able to hold level 1 spells. Beguiler is a good choice for the caster, but other options are possible. Really: so long as half your levels are Spellthief you can steal, hold, and then cast spells of the highest level you can cast. Golem Strike is a level 1 divination which allows you to sneak attack Constructs; Grave Strike is another which allows you to sneak attack undead — but that is a divine spell.

mabriss lethe
2014-12-13, 05:22 PM
well, let's see to answer your questions:

1. Spellthief uses an unmodified level check for Absorb Spell. I don't think there's a way to improve an unmodified level check, except with more levels of the class in question.

2. Probably the easiest way to get a slew of natural attacks is to enter the Warshaper PrC as a Changeling. Your minor shapechange is of unlimited duration and if you're willing to spend the move actions beforehand, you can stack an ungodly number of natural attacks onto yourself. It's a bit cheesy though, so I always advise my players to stat out a reasonable "war form" so that it doesn't bog down combat too much. 2 claws, a bite, a slam,etc. Make your natural attack sequence big enough to get the job done, but not so lengthy as to be a burden on play.

As for SA on undead, see if you can get your hands on a Greater Truedeath crystal (5K gp, MiC) When bound to a +3 or better weapon (not a +1 with +2 in special enhancements, but an honest to god +3 weapon.) it grants the ability to sneak attack and crit undead. (edit to add: +1d6 damage to undead and grants the ghost touch property) It's better to avoid dips if you can just buy the ability you want.

Also check out the Godsblood spelltheft (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) feat to widen some of your options.

kulosle
2014-12-13, 05:32 PM
We have house ruled master spelltheif so that it scales the spell you can hold as well.

Also is there any spells like scorchibg ray, but better, that have multiple attacks in a round.

MilesTiden
2014-12-13, 06:25 PM
Make sure to grab Cloud of Knives some way as well, it gets an automatic attack at the start of each turn, which you can use to trigger Absorb Spell.