PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Paladin of Besmara?

Baroncognito
2014-12-13, 06:05 PM
We might be doing a piracy themed adventure path, and I'm trying to figure out a character. I've got a few different concepts, some more fleshed out than others. But to the titular question:

Would a Paladin of Besmara work? How would a paladin of Besmara work? What type of code would such a paladin follow?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-13, 06:35 PM
Ya know, I was under the impression that PF paladins could be of any alignment as long as it matches their chosen diety but after checking their srd (d20pfsrd.com) I can't find how that's the case.

It would appear that the answer to your question, to me at least, is "no."

Baroncognito
2014-12-13, 06:55 PM
From what I can tell, the Paladin's alignment must be lawful good, no option. But unlike Cleric or Inquisitor, there's no restriction that a paladin's alignment must be within one step of her god's alignment. A Paladin can also revere an entire pantheon and not just pick one of the gods therein.

JDL
2014-12-13, 06:58 PM
Paladins must be Lawful Good. This effectively means Paladins only serve Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good deities.

There are very few exceptions to this limitation. For example, the Forgotten Realms has the deity Sune, who is Chaotic Good but has an order of Paladins. Likely however a Paladin would be a poor choice for a deity devoted to piracy (robbing the innocent, defying authority etc).

Coidzor
2014-12-13, 07:56 PM
We might be doing a piracy themed adventure path, and I'm trying to figure out a character. I've got a few different concepts, some more fleshed out than others. But to the titular question:

Would a Paladin of Besmara work? How would a paladin of Besmara work? What type of code would such a paladin follow?

If you're willing to put in the work, yeah, sure, probably.

She allows CG Clerics, so some variation on ye olde CG Paladin of Freedom idea would be the place to start, I figure.

Not a whole lot of stuff to go on other than piratical codes and the baseline Paladin of Freedom stuff for making your own code, though, as she doesn't really have a whole lot in the way of dogma or a church or anything to draw upon in the default fluff.

Of course, if your DM isn't willing to play ball then you're just plain dead in the water.