PDA

View Full Version : Gold Rush: Questions About Impact of Adventurers on Economy

Ravens_cry
2014-12-13, 08:38 PM
Pretty much what it says on the title. What would the effects be of several parties worth of D&D 3.5 adventurers descending on a farming town of about 800-1000 people, and spending gold like, well adventurers? All fairly low level, about level 1-4, but with about WBL. I'd put this in 3.X folder, but it's not a rules question but an economic one.

Strigon
2014-12-13, 09:28 PM
Depends on how isolated the town is, and how well-off it was to begin with.
If it was a poor, isolated village, rapid inflation. Terrifyingly rapid, if it's only a few hundred people.
If it's not isolated, then they would likely become substantially more wealthy.
If it was already pretty well off, the effect wouldn't be so large.

Of course, it's also quite likely that such a village wouldn't have much to buy that adventurers would be interested in, so if they don't buy anything, nothing would change.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-13, 09:53 PM
It's fairly isolated, being up in the mountains, surrounding an old pass.
It used to be quite wealthy, but another pass that was opened up has been used more since.

Strigon
2014-12-13, 10:18 PM
I'd say this:
Immediate surge of wealth, due to sudden influx of money and commodities. Substantial, but not incredible.
Then, rising inequality due to the PCs not distributing wealth evenly; I.E., a tavern or a weaponsmith might get quite a lot of gold, but a farmer probably wouldn't get looked at twice.
Finally, the wealth begins becoming more even as trade caravans arrive, the increased money allows those who have the wealth to increase their employment, and, depending on how responsibly the money is spent, the town either becomes more wealthy, or it reverts to its previous state after a brief period of luxury.

Bob of Mage
2014-12-13, 11:08 PM
Well I'd say the NPCs who got most of the wealth from the PCs have a good chance of taking over the town. It would also destory the economy since a large number of people no longer have to work as much due to their new fould wealth. Prices might soar for a while if enough people get money which will mess things up once the PCs leave and prices fall. It will also become esaier to buy food from the town down the road instend of growing their own. If they don't plan well they will end up with issues when the money runs out.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-13, 11:27 PM
Ok, I am guessing there would be a lot of resentment of the nouveau riche haves, primarily in the service industries and some, but not all, craft people, from those who are not benefiting from the surge of gold, as well as at the adventurer newcomers who are causing this,

LibraryOgre
2014-12-14, 12:14 AM
Might also come down to how the village is ruled. A savvy ruler may wind up with the lion share of the gold through taxes, collections, and fees.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-14, 12:27 AM
Might also come down to how the village is ruled. A savvy ruler may wind up with the lion share of the gold through taxes, collections, and fees.
That would still have an impact, though the wealth would be spread out a little more, (rulers have more diverse money needs than murder hobos) as they spend it, unless they hoard it all, yes?