PDA

View Full Version : [PF + POW] Oracle of Battle -> Battle Templar: Any good way to do it?

Arbane
2014-12-13, 11:16 PM
I know it's a bad idea to lose caster levels unless you get something AWESOME for them, but the Battle Templar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/prestige-classes/battle-templar)'s second-level ability is just so SHINY.

At 2nd level, the battle templar is capable of aiding an ally with every strike of his weapon or bash of his shield through the use of his divine magic. Whenever the battle templar initiates a martial strike, he may cast a divine spell (with a level equal to or less than the level of the strike initiated) on himself or an ally within touch range as a move action. He must cast this defensively if he is casting within a threatened area to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity.

So, a few questions:

If I take a level of Warlord after Oracle 8, do all my maneuvers have to be first level, or can I take one 1st level, one second, and so on?
Is there any good way to get into this without losing a minimum of two caster levels? (It looks like I could manage it by taking Martial Training I and II, but that's two feats down, and I'm not sure I'd get any bonus maneuvers from BT that way.)

I'd probably want to go back to Oracle after Battle Templar 8, since the channel ability doesn't apply, and losing 9th level spells altogether would just be too painful.

Or would it be a better idea to take Quickened Spell and not bother with this? (Sigh...)

Elricaltovilla
2014-12-14, 12:35 AM
I come bearing good news! Your Oracle levels each count as 1/2 of an initiator level, which means that at Oracle 8/Warlord 1 you have an IL of 5, allowing you to take maneuvers of up to 3rd level. Your Warlord levels advance IL fully as does Battle Templar, meaning that at Oracle 8/Warlord 1/Battle Templar 8/ Oracle 3 you'd have a CL of 18 and an IL of 14. You'd have access to 7th level maneuvers and 9th level spells, unless I forgot how to count.

I can't say for sure how useful all the Battle Templar stuff is for an oracle, but it seems like a pretty good build.

Arbane
2014-12-14, 01:19 AM
Good to know - thanks!

Of course, now I've thought of another catch - no Favored Class Bonus for Warlord/BT levels. Which means I'd be losing those extra spells known. That would also hurt.