PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PFS Cavalier assistance

evilserran
2014-12-13, 11:53 PM
First off, i need to point out this is my first time ever playing in a PFS event with a character. I just hit level 2 with my halfling cavalier and am looking for any advice, magical must haves, etc, as far as holding my own. So far i have functioned as the tank for my group quite effectively and scored "mvp" for 2 of the three sessions. (local gaming title, no particular worth but bragging rights) He rides a wolf with kikko armor, masterwork cold iron scimitar lance and heavy wooden shield. I have acquired a sleeves of many garments (i think its called) as well as a CLW to give to healers during out sessions to ensure i am covered. My level 1 feat is mounted combat, although nothing has actually swung at the wolf yet for some reason... My traits are reactionary and Flame of the dawnflower. 16,14,14,8,10,10 stats. Anysuggestions where to go from here? I kind of want to lean towards charge damage, but realize there will be times even as a halfling i will be unmounted so need to keep in mind my other fighting skills as well, hence the scimitar. Any advice would be great!

*edited to note, i am also a beast rider archtype*

avr
2014-12-14, 05:38 AM
The obvious feats are either building for mounted combat (ride-by attack, spirited charge, maybe wheeling charge or escape route) or general combat bonuses (power attack, risky striker, maybe combat reflexes or lunge). General combat bonuses will be helpful for mounted combat but not vice versa.

As far as equipment goes, besides the usual stuff a Champion's Banner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/champion-s-banner) may be useful. The usual stuff in case you're not familiar, is a cloak of resistance, belt adding to physical stat(s), magic weapon/armor, and some cheap defensive items. Obviously most of this is above your budget at 2nd level.

I remember reading PFS imposes serious limits on what animal companions can equip by way of magic items, but I don't remember the details - you may be better to ask on the paizo.com boards about PFS in particular.

Spore
2014-12-14, 03:23 PM
No specific tips but general pointers:

1) Keep your mount alive and healthy.

2) Do not focus on mounted combat too hard.

3) Your damage is done by challenging and charging. See to your to-hit.

4) Get a way to hit flying enemies. If your mount isn't a roc, even a giant eagle is dangerous for you.

Do you have something to do/help in non-combat situations? Which skills are you focussing on?

evilserran
2015-01-04, 09:05 PM
No specific tips but general pointers:

1) Keep your mount alive and healthy. TOOK MOUNTED COMBAT TO HELP WITH THIS, AND MOUNT HAS BARDING

2) Do not focus on mounted combat too hard.I AM FOCUSING AS A TANK, THAT JUST HAPPENS TO ALSO RIDE

3) Your damage is done by challenging and charging. See to your to-hit.

4) Get a way to hit flying enemies. If your mount isn't a roc, even a giant eagle is dangerous for you.PICKED UP THREE PILUMS JUST TO HAVE A THROWING WEAPONM FLYING MOUNTS WAY OUT OF MY RANGE AT THE MOMENT

Do you have something to do/help in non-combat situations? Which skills are you focussing on? DIPLOMACY, HANDLE ANIMAL AND RIDE

SORRYabout such a delay in responding, holidays threw everything for a loop.

Spore
2015-01-05, 02:55 AM
No problem, I'm still around.

2) How do you focus on being a tank? I say "tanking" comes easy with a Cavalier since you dish out the damage and are pretty undefended against anything not targetting AC or Fort saves. Monsters and smart NPCs are bound to target you with any effects other than damage.

4) That's smart. Keep in mind throwing weapons are gone when you are unlucky in fights. The Wyvern falls down the mountain with three spears stuck in its side. Depending on your mount's carrying capacity you should keep a bag with spares at any time (and not just three).

Extra pointer: Keep a look out for nasty spellcasters able to target your mount regardless of mounted combat when the spell does not involve an attack roll. Spells like Grease on your saddle/mount or anything that spooks your mount (Int 2 + weak will saves make even Cause Fear a dangerous spell).

evilserran
2015-01-05, 07:53 AM
No problem, I'm still around.

2) How do you focus on being a tank? I say "tanking" comes easy with a Cavalier since you dish out the damage and are pretty undefended against anything not targetting AC or Fort saves. Monsters and smart NPCs are bound to target you with any effects other than damage. by tanking i am referring to blocking travelling paths to the rest of the group, bottle necking enemies, and drawing fire from most melee to myself. As for casters, i have the Teamwork feat that boosts saves, so if fighting a caster, i can pop it off, and a free +1 for me and mount, plus any extra for adjacent teammates. Also, typically if there is a caster, i just go straight for them, i can typically 1 shot anything as long as i dont miss.

4) That's smart. Keep in mind throwing weapons are gone when you are unlucky in fights. The Wyvern falls down the mountain with three spears stuck in its side. Depending on your mount's carrying capacity you should keep a bag with spares at any time (and not just three).pilums are 5g, and since we play PFS resupply is not much of an issue, i have only needed to use one so far, i could get more i suppose, but i dont want to as of yet, since even with the saddlebags, my wolf is almostat medium load just carrying me.

Extra pointer: Keep a look out for nasty spellcasters able to target your mount regardless of mounted combat when the spell does not involve an attack roll. Spells like Grease on your saddle/mount or anything that spooks your mount (Int 2 + weak will saves make even Cause Fear a dangerous spell). Yup, always trying to get to casters first. They splat so nicely if i can get a charge off. I crit one in the last encounter we played specifically, and crit... 4d6 +12 damage to a level 2 wizard....

Ssalarn
2015-01-05, 11:24 AM
Just some general Cavalier notes -

The Escape Route Teamwork feat is useful enough that sometimes I have my mount and I take it even if we aren't using the bonus feats for Tactician; getting to be basicaly immune to AoO for movement becomes pretty handy for increasing mount survivability.

Mounted Combat and Trick Riding are both great for keeping your mount on its feet.

Spirited Charge is pretty much the gateway to the most melee damage you're likely to do in PFS outside of some optimized caster shenanigans.

If I've got 2 feats to spare on my mount and I've boosted his Int to at least 3, one of my favorite PFS tricks is having the mount grab Dragon Style; the save bonuses are all to things you really don't want your mount getting hit by, and being able to charge through allies or over difficult terrain without magical aid or needing to pop Tactician is super handy.