PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lich gets destroyed, good way to not lose items?

Zanos
2014-12-14, 02:14 AM
So let's say you're playing a lich. Pretty cool, you don't die when you are killed. Unfortunately you probably have lost all the magic items you had on you. I'm looking to prevent that.

I thought contingent teleport could do it, but that doesn't work particularly well since it can't target objects, and teleport object is too high level for contingency. I suppose we could always Scry&Die whatever we died to over time, but that could take awhile.

Any ideas?

With a box
2014-12-14, 02:17 AM
Astral projection
Well, you don't need to be a Lich at first

Zanos
2014-12-14, 02:52 AM
Astral projection
Well, you don't need to be a Lich at first
Was hoping for something a bit lower level, like 11/12. Nightmares don't have Astral Projection in PF, so you can't using lesser planar binding to get it.

With a box
2014-12-14, 03:03 AM
Then lesser astral projection
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/astralProjection.html

It allows you come back to where you from(prime material) without ending spell.
But no demiplane fortress :(

Zanos
2014-12-14, 03:07 AM
Then lesser astral projection
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/astralProjection.html

It allows you come back to where you from(prime material) without ending spell.
But no demiplane fortress :(
Wow. Paizo actually printed that. I don't know what to say. Thanks.

atemu1234
2014-12-14, 11:35 AM
Or you could have Contingent Teleport Object.

Jack_Simth
2014-12-14, 02:28 PM
So let's say you're playing a lich. Pretty cool, you don't die when you are killed. Unfortunately you probably have lost all the magic items you had on you. I'm looking to prevent that.

I thought contingent teleport could do it, but that doesn't work particularly well since it can't target objects, and teleport object is too high level for contingency. I suppose we could always Scry&Die whatever we died to over time, but that could take awhile.

Any ideas?

A Contingent Teleport should really only not work for this if you're completely annihilated. In the instant you're temporarily destroyed, you're still a creature, and you're still carrying your stuff. Of course, there's always that pesky little miss chance, but you should be 'very familiar' with the area at a minimum.

Note, however, that it's a little less relevant in Pathfinder - there's plenty of ways to make money, and money and time are all that go into magic items in Pathfinder.

StoneCipher
2014-12-14, 02:39 PM
Can't you leave items in close approximation to your phylactery and it transmits the benefit? Or is that only demi-liches that can do that?

Jack_Simth
2014-12-14, 02:46 PM
Can't you leave items in close approximation to your phylactery and it transmits the benefit? Or is that only demi-liches that can do that?

That's specifically the 3.0 Demilich's Phylactery Transference ability.

mostlyharmful
2014-12-14, 03:06 PM
Well, the best way so far as I can see is to go for things with either an inherent bonus to yourself or that aren't tied to your body:

- Tome of X to stats are REALLY pricey but effective for higher level Lichs
- Spellstiched if you can port in 3.5 stuff, it's great for Lichs given long term buffs are actually better than gear...
- Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from it's hot outside gives you immunity to Fire while making you vulnerable to cold, which you ignore due to Lich,
- Deals with outsiders/organizations that give you benefit in gameterms without gear, say rescue deals with outsiders that have agreed to scry you/commune about you on a regular basis
- Simulacrum minions that you can count against WBL without having them on you (any minionmancy really)
- discuss with your DM if tatoo/scar magic stays with your corpse or transfers with your soul, if it does there's lots of different stuff outthere for that.

However, it might be easiest to think about what's the lowest reasonable level of gear you can use and then fill in with disposable/consumables like scrolls and potions more than most.

Shove an arcane mark on anything you think is really really important and you'll be able to find it later, doubly so if it's not picked up by your murderer. Gear retrieval should be a whole lot eassier than gear earning/assembly after all.

Spore
2014-12-14, 03:16 PM
My DM gave his imprisoned naked evil priests a demon that had stashed his belongings away while they were imprisoned in a mirror. Maybe some sort of lesser planar binding shenanigangs could be dealt with.

You give a succubus a victim/week and in return she swoops in and grabs your handy haversack should you die. Now you only need a way to "inform" her.

P.F.
2014-12-14, 04:05 PM
lesser astral projection

Now, liches are immune to energy drain et al, but nothing says they cant get negative levels through some other means, such as those bestowed by a disrupted astral projection. So would you also need something to get the negative levels off?

ericgrau
2014-12-14, 04:14 PM
Instant summons (level 7) lets you track one or more of your pieces of gear, though it's a bit expensive. It could bring it back to you too but only if it's not in someone's possession.

Jack_Simth
2014-12-14, 04:32 PM
Instant summons (level 7) lets you track one or more of your pieces of gear, though it's a bit expensive. It could bring it back to you too but only if it's not in someone's possession.

In Pathfinder, there's a fairly easy way around that - Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money). Now, as a Lich, you're immune to ability damage, and so can't use it directly. However, a quick casting of Magic Jar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-jar), and you're in the body of a sacrificial minion, and so that Instant Summons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/instant-summons) spell is just three points of strength damage (and 1d6 regular damage) to the sacrificial minion (who'll get better, and could instead be a sacrificial prisoner if you're so inclined).

Note that this technique has some really amazing (read: heavily optimized) synergy with Simulacrum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/simulacrum).

ericgrau
2014-12-14, 05:09 PM
You need to keep the sapphire for more than a round unfortunately.

Werephilosopher
2014-12-14, 06:18 PM
You need to keep the sapphire for more than a round unfortunately.

That doesn't matter, since it's already been used as a material component.

ericgrau
2014-12-14, 08:20 PM
You don't get to recall the item until you break the sapphire with an arcane mark on it several months later. Are you going to break the blood puddle with an arcane mark on it?

With a box
2014-12-14, 08:34 PM
You don't get to recall the item until you break the sapphire with an arcane mark on it several months later. Are you going to break the blood puddle with an arcane mark on it?

Because the said sapphire already used as material component, it doesn't turn into blood puddle.

stack
2014-12-15, 08:02 AM
Use tattoos instead of items, perhaps? Need to check the rules on that one.

atemu1234
2014-12-15, 08:11 AM

Nope, the majority of tattoos in-game seem to simply occupy a variant body slot; you get a new body, you lose the tattoos. In fact, it seems a spellbook would work better, though without the joy accompanying the copying from someone with a higher-than-average charisma score. (Yes, I am implying that is an in-game reason.)

ericgrau
2014-12-15, 08:29 AM
Because the said sapphire already used as material component, it doesn't turn into blood puddle.

Wow, holy multiple definitions of "use" batman. Is this another infinite wealth trick?

Blood money has an instantaneous durations so there's no magical aura nor any ongoing magic at all. Then you cast erase on your arcane mark on the sapphire to remove all potential suspicion and bam, free 1,000 gp with a very real and non-magical sapphire.

Sounds more like RAW and not RAI at all though. And even the "RAW" is more dictionary semantics based than PF rules based.

Use
verb (used with object), used, using.
1. to employ for some purpose; put into service; make use of:
to use a knife.
3. to expend or consume in use:

Ya actually this isn't RAW at all. This is smart alecky with grammar.

Zanos
2014-12-15, 05:05 PM
Or you could have Contingent Teleport Object.
Too high a level for contingency, as I mentioned in the opening post.

A Contingent Teleport should really only not work for this if you're completely annihilated. In the instant you're temporarily destroyed, you're still a creature, and you're still carrying your stuff. Of course, there's always that pesky little miss chance, but you should be 'very familiar' with the area at a minimum.

Note, however, that it's a little less relevant in Pathfinder - there's plenty of ways to make money, and money and time are all that go into magic items in Pathfinder.
That you're still a creature when the contingency pops seems a bit shaky to me. I guess it would depend on how I worded the contingency?

Now, liches are immune to energy drain et al, but nothing says they cant get negative levels through some other means, such as those bestowed by a disrupted astral projection. So would you also need something to get the negative levels off?
Not really a problem. The character is buddies with a divine caster and I have UMD if I need to grab a scroll. My character is actually only level 7 right now, but I'm looking for solutions to this problem in advance.

Well, the best way so far as I can see is to go for things with either an inherent bonus to yourself or that aren't tied to your body:

- Tome of X to stats are REALLY pricey but effective for higher level Lichs
- Spellstiched if you can port in 3.5 stuff, it's great for Lichs given long term buffs are actually better than gear...
- Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from it's hot outside gives you immunity to Fire while making you vulnerable to cold, which you ignore due to Lich,
- Deals with outsiders/organizations that give you benefit in gameterms without gear, say rescue deals with outsiders that have agreed to scry you/commune about you on a regular basis
- Simulacrum minions that you can count against WBL without having them on you (any minionmancy really)
- discuss with your DM if tatoo/scar magic stays with your corpse or transfers with your soul, if it does there's lots of different stuff outthere for that.

However, it might be easiest to think about what's the lowest reasonable level of gear you can use and then fill in with disposable/consumables like scrolls and potions more than most.

Shove an arcane mark on anything you think is really really important and you'll be able to find it later, doubly so if it's not picked up by your murderer. Gear retrieval should be a whole lot eassier than gear earning/assembly after all.
Tomes stack with enhancement items, so I'm going to want both at the end of the day.
Can't port 3.5 stuff.
My dealings with outsiders don't tend to be equitable. Even if they were, I don't think I would want one to be able to hold something like that above my head when I was at my weakest(no magic items.) I guess I could geas them, or something.

Interesting. A bit expensive for all my gear, and only marginally useful if they decide to keep it, but still useful. Is there anything I could do to my gear to make someone really not want to have it on them?

I plan on having both. I'll probably have to write off the tattoos as a loss, If I'm not (lesser) astrally projected, which looks like the best option.

As an aside, Bloodmoney is actually adjusted in this campaign. All spells cast or spell effects created with blood money have a maximum duration of 1 hour/cl. So if you get resurrected with a blood money component, you die again CL hours later.