PDA

View Full Version : Help with Prestiging my Rogue

Kami675
2014-12-14, 02:20 AM
Hello, I am kind of new to the whole D&D thing I was wondering which prestige class for v3.5e would be best for a Rogue? I am currently a melee stealth type rogue with Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Stealthy as my main feats. Currently I am only level 3 so I probably wont be going for prestige in a lil while but i'd like to start building towards a class so I don't have to backtrack later down the road. Skill wise im focusing on Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Sleight of Hand

thanks in advance,
- Kris

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-14, 02:39 AM
Well, there are a few ways you can go from Rogue 3 (which is incidentally a good jumping-off point for pre-prestige multiclassing).

My personal recommendation is to go the casting route, because having magic is the best way to improve both the power and versatility of a character. Rogue 3/[full caster] 2/Unseen Seer (Complete Mage) 10/Arcane Trickster (DMG) 5 gets 8d6 sneak attack and ninth-level spells (with wizard/cleric/druid/archivist entry), and does Rogue 3/[full caster] 2/Unseen Seer 7/Arcane Trickster 8 gets 9d6 sneak attack plus ninth-level spells (again with wizard/cleric/druid/archivist entry) in exchange for slightly fewer skill points (Unseen Seer has 6+Int, Arcane Trickster has 4+Int). They both lose out on some base attack bonus, but not very much. Depending on which of your mental stats is the highest, go with Wizard (Int) or Beguiler (Cha). Pick up Somatic Weaponry to cast while TWFing. Fluff it as your rogue picking up some magic along the way, cuz why not. Ranks in Concentration will help you cast in melee.

Alternately, take a look at Daggerspell Mage from Complete Adventurer. They're big on delivering damage-dealing touch spells through their daggers, if that's your kind of thing. Rogue 3/[full caster] 2/Unseen Seer 3/Daggerspell Mage 10/Unseen Seer 2 would be pretty solid, but would miss out on ninth-level spells.

Also, welcome to the forums! We argue about kobolds.

KrimsonNekros
2014-12-14, 08:24 AM
Alternatively if you'd like to keep a melee or skill based focus, there are things like Assassin (DMG), Ghost-faced Killer (CA), or Mountebank (CS). Really just depends on what you want.

Some good info can be found here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6

Chronos
2014-12-14, 08:36 AM
What books do you have available? If it's just the core books, the only really worthwhile prestige classes for a rogue are assassin or shadowdancer, and shadowdancer is only viable because there are so few worthwhile feats for a rogue in core, and there are so few other ways to get Hide in Plain Sight.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-14, 02:13 PM
Also, a general tip for Rogues who focus on Sneak Attack: take the Craven feat (it's from Champions of Ruin). In exchange for -2 on saves vs fear, you get to add your character level to your sneak attack damage. Yes, that's an extra 20 damage at level 20, regardless of how much you multiclass.

DMVerdandi
2014-12-14, 06:43 PM
I would have thrown my bet in for chameleon.
Bump up wisdom. Get a monk's belt for SAD for AC.
Use Divine Focus primarily (It is far better than Arcane focus, when you take into account how many arcane spells are also divine. Plus you don't need a spellbook)

Sixth level spells, Decent skill points. You can get stealth focus or combat focus if you want, and ability boon is CRAZY. By the end, you can boost any ability score you want by 6 points.

Unfortunately you don't have able learner. You would have been able to get in by the sixth level had you been aware. Talk to your DM about retraining, so you can get it as your first level feat. I think its really one of the best prestige classes out there.

DEMON
2014-12-15, 07:13 PM
If you have those books available, Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior), combined with Daring Outlaw feat (Complete Scoundrel) is a decent non-prestige multiclassing option for a melee Rogue.

Might also want to look at Swashbuckler or Warblade (both Tome of Battle), for other melee oriented goodies.

I rather like the Hit-and-Run-Tactics Figher (Drow of the Underdark) ACF, also combinable with Sneak Attack Fighter ACF (Unearthed Arcana/SRD).

Speaking of melee focused Rogues, feats like Craven (Champions of Ruin) and Staggering Strike (Complete Warrior) are very good options for you and the Penetrating Strike ACF (Dungeonscape/Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) is more or less a must have, if it's available. Fourth level ACF Disruptive Attack (Player's Handbook 2) also has it's uses.

Depending on which of your mental stats is the highest, go with Wizard (Int) or Beguiler (Cha). Pick up Somatic Weaponry to cast while TWFing. Fluff it as your rogue picking up some magic along the way, cuz why not. Ranks in Concentration will help you cast in melee.

Beguiler casts off Int. Though, while it's an awesome class, it's rather stepping on the Rogues toes too much in my opinion to make a good combo. Then again, maybe not. You could trade the Rogue's Trapfinding for an ACF and the spells could save you a ton of skill points.

TWFing and casting issue can be overcome with a double weapon, like a Quarterstaff.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-15, 07:31 PM
Beguiler casts off Int. Though, while it's an awesome class, it's rather stepping on the Rogues toes too much in my opinion to make a good combo. Then again, maybe not. You could trade the Rogue's Trapfinding for an ACF and the spells could save you a ton of skill points.

Whoops. I guess Wizard is a generally better idea; your spells will probably be focused on stealth/infiltration, unless you're a social-focused Rogue.