PDA

View Full Version : Improving Handy Haversack

AOKost
2014-12-14, 07:45 AM
I have been wondering for a while, it's easy enough to just say you put whatever you come across into your (Hewards) Handy Haversack, but some DM's still have their players keep track of weight, and volume of what's actually put into extra dimentional spaces such as bags of holding, portable holes, and haversacks.

With Bags of Holding, there's already a precidence for how to increase them by volume and weight capacities. But not so for the ever-handy Haversack, or Portable Hole. It would be simple enough to just say that the price doubles, and so does the capacity, but does anyone have any better suggestions?

Uncle Pine
2014-12-14, 07:56 AM
As per MIC rules on stacking properties on magical objects:

Take a glove of the master strategist (glove of storing + 1/day True Strike, from Ghostwalk) and combine with a Heward's handy haversack. Now you can touch an item, shrink it down, and store it in your 12 cu ft extradimensional storage space. Since you're storing the items in your haversack and not your glove, you're no longer bound by the one item only rule, though you might still be limited to items of 20 lbs or less. If we go by Shrink Item's effects on what you can store, this combination basically multiplies your storage space by a factor of 4,000, AND you can retrieve your items as a move action!

AOKost
2014-12-14, 08:20 AM
That's an AMAZING suggestion! I love it!

Necroticplague
2014-12-14, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure those rules can be applied, though. IIRC, it only allows for adding basic enchantments to items (I.E, +number stuff), and it definitely only worked for items of the same slot. Seeing how one of these is slotless, and the other uses a hand slot, I don't think it works.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-14, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure those rules can be applied, though. IIRC, it only allows for adding basic enchantments to items (I.E, +number stuff), and it definitely only worked for items of the same slot. Seeing how one of these is slotless, and the other uses a hand slot, I don't think it works.

However, DMG has rules for pricing slotless and slotted items (respectively *2 and *1,5), which means that a slotted handy haversack is cheaper than a slotless one and that it can be combined with a glove of the strategist.

AOKost
2014-12-14, 08:45 AM
I would think, that because the Haversack doesn't need the 1/day True Strike, you could actually decrease some of the cost for that Glove ability... But it could also be worth having anyway... An extra +20 to any attack sure is useful at times! :D

Uncle Pine
2014-12-14, 08:53 AM
I would think, that because the Haversack doesn't need the 1/day True Strike, you could actually decrease some of the cost for that Glove ability... But it could also be worth having anyway... An extra +20 to any attack sure is useful at times! :D

As it'd require reverse-engineering the price of a True Strike-less glove of strategist (not actually impossible or overly difficult, actually) and glove of strategist is already painfully underpriced (but 100% RAW and 3.5 as it was left untouched by conversion) as it is, I wouldn't bother.