PDA

View Full Version : The Weapons Merchant - Persona Social Link

Penguinator
2014-12-14, 03:16 PM
Dorian had taken the girl to a small arms merchant who lived just outside of the school grounds. He had himself only come here once or twice; he found that the selection was almost more like a museum than an actual store. The kindly old man who ran it would gladly sell you something, but he would rather you came in and browsed so that he could tell you about it. Dorian wasn't much for the man's inventive stories, so he wasn't a frequent customer. That, and the man's wares were typically overpriced. One could only buy so many of the weapons of "Great General Sum Gai" before going broke.

He opened the door for the lady, a hand indicating that she should enter as the small bell chimed.

banthesun
2014-12-14, 11:14 PM
Kyoko politely thanked Dorian as she entered the shop, before stopping to take in the sight before her. Dim and dusty, the shop looked like some kind of abandoned armoury from ancient times. Shadows of extravagent weapons cut strange shapes into the beams of light from the clouded windows, and everywhere Kyoko looked there was some kind of unusual artifact. She was so caught up in the scene, looking like something from a story, she didn't even notice the old man tending to the store at first, her eyes glancing between display after display.

"Woah! I didn't realise places like this even existed, no way is there something like this so close to school!"

Penguinator
2014-12-15, 10:57 PM
Dorian nodded. "Well, there is a posted minimum age limit, my Lady. I hadn't thought about it when I brought you here. I believe he'll let you in, though, as he can see you're with me." He added with almost embarrassment, "Although I am not a frequent customer, I'm told I am one of the better ones."

banthesun
2014-12-16, 02:17 AM
When Dorian mentioned the age limit, Kyoko turned to the shopkeep with an embarrassed look on her face. She gave him a deep bow as thanks for letting her in to the shop, then turned back to Dorian.

"Thanks, but, uh, why are we here? I don't really know anything about weapons, is this really that important?" she whispered.

Penguinator
2014-12-16, 08:29 PM
Dorian nodded in response, walking towards the blades. "You recall the sword the other day? It took a while to adjust to its grip and weight, did it not?" He allowed a moment for response, then continued. "Your weapon should be an extension of your being. If you cannot fit it to your hand immediately, it is not the weapon for you. A moment of hesitancy on the battlefield can cost a lifetime."

banthesun
2014-12-16, 10:02 PM
"It's really like that? And we're allowed to try the weapons here? He won't get mad?" asked Kyoko, glancing towards the shop's owner.

Inside, Kyoko was a little concerned by Dorian's statement; she didn't think any weapon was going to suit her. It really wasn't her kind of thing...

Penguinator
2014-12-18, 04:39 PM
Dorian slipped a blade out of its sheath, trying its weight. Lighter than he was used to, so it might be better for the Lady. "Trust me. While one can train to build up a tolerance for other types of weapons, it is best to find the one that calls to you and start from there." He tossed the blade to his other hand, trying a couple of jabs. "The blades aren't really as old as the master would have you believe. In fact, he's got a few practice dummies in the back, if you wish. And it doesn't have to be a blade, there's also an extensive section of crossbows, spears, halberds, and battle axes." He shrugged in regard to the blade, and held its hilt towards the girl. "Try this one."

banthesun
2014-12-19, 02:49 AM
Kyoko watched closely as Dorian tossed the blade between his hands and tried some moves. She carefully took the hilt when it was offered, and gently weighed it up and down in her hands. It was definitely lighter than any of the weapons Dorian had brought with him last time, but Kyoko still held it gingerly. She was afraid to try the edge, in case it actually was sharp, and until she knew she couldn't go swinging it around or anything.

"Uh, oh, it's definitely lighter than the other ones! I mean, I think it's okay? I'm not really sure how to tell. I think I'm fine just with something simple though, I wouldn't want to cause trouble..." Kyoko defaulted to politeness, feeling particularly out of her element in this store.

Penguinator
2014-12-21, 12:25 AM
Dorian subtly took the blade back from her, putting it back into its scabbard and placing it back onto the display. "I have a few ideas, my Lady. We could wander through, and you could look around until you find something that catches your eye, or you could wait back with the practice dummies and I'll bring you a few that I find. Thoughts?"

banthesun
2014-12-21, 12:48 AM
Kyoko glanced around the shop again. She didn't have to think long on her answer. "Uh, it's probably better if I go wait, I wouldn't know where to start around here." She glanced at the shopkeep again, and asked "Are you sure this is alright?"

On her way to the back of the shop, Kyoko stopped, noticing a strange spear-like weapon. It looked like the kind of thing Tsubaki would use, and she absent-mindedly remarked on it. "Woah, this thing's interesting!"

Penguinator
2015-01-10, 10:40 PM
Dorian nodded in response to the question. "He's just glad to have someone in the shop to begin with. You should have seen how his face lit up when I opened the door."

Dorian looked over the weapon. A little big for the Lady, but he was willing to try whatever she liked. "Is it something that interests you, my Lady? Or something of that type, perhaps?"

banthesun
2015-01-10, 11:10 PM
"Oh, no! I just didn't know what it was!" Kyoko replied, sounding a bit embarrassed. But if the shopkeep was happy to put up with her, why not check some of them out. "Well, I don't know what half of these are, so if you think they might suit me I'll give them a try!"

Penguinator
2015-01-11, 01:09 AM
Dorian smiled politely. "Oh, I see." As the girl turned to go, he added, "Tell me, my Lady, would you prefer something up close, or something that would allow an attack from some distance?"

banthesun
2015-01-11, 02:00 AM
"Uh, I hadn't really thought about that. I don't think I'd like to be too close to the shadows," replied Kyoko. She suddenly glanced at the shopkeep and corrected herself, "Uh, I mean enemies."

Penguinator
2015-01-13, 12:33 AM
Dorian nodded. "I'll be back with you shortly." He took a look over the weaponry, rooting through several unsuitable-for-combat items. After a few moments, he went to the practice room with an assortment of bows and spears. "Here are just a few that I believe may be suitable, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-13, 12:49 AM
"Huh... Okay..."

Kyoko looked over the weapons. She hadn't even considered trying a bow. Picking one up in her right hand, she realised there was a real reason for that.

"Um, sorry, but I don't think I can use these..."

Penguinator
2015-01-13, 04:24 PM
Dorian simply smiled and nodded. "Bows are out, then. Try the lances, and I'll go look for something else that can be used from range."

banthesun
2015-01-13, 09:39 PM
"Okay..." Kyoko but down the bow and selected a thin spear, holding it mainly in her right hand, but balancing it with her left. She shifted around a little, before realising she had no idea what type of stance to take with something like this. She glanced over to Dorian for advice.

Penguinator
2015-01-13, 11:48 PM
Dorian looked over the girl's stance, and after trying to model what her legs should look like unsuccessfully, he began to move one of her legs himself. After realizing what he was doing, he backed away quickly. "M-my Lady... I apologize..."

banthesun
2015-01-14, 12:20 AM
Kyoko let out a little "Eek!" when Dorian touched her leg, but it appeared he hadn't meant anything rude by it.

"Uh, sorry, is this something you have to do for training?" she asked uncertainly.

Penguinator
2015-01-14, 12:25 AM
Dorian became flustered when the girl let out a cry. "Uh, um... I-I tried to show you the stance, and you weren't getting it, so I thought..." He blushed profusely, unable to finish. "S-sorry, my Lady... M-maybe some other type of weapon..?" he said, fishing for something else to talk about.

banthesun
2015-01-14, 12:41 AM
The embarrassment was mutual, and Kyoko was relieved Dorian went looking for another weapon as a distraction. "Uh, something one handed might be better. My spirit weapon's a knife like thing, if that helps!" she offered.

Penguinator
2015-01-14, 12:48 AM
Dorian nodded, trying to quickly regain his composure. "Would you be interested at all in throwing knives? Distanced, possibly one-handed."

banthesun
2015-01-14, 12:52 AM
"Throwing knives? Like, ninja stuff?" Kyoko thought on it. It definitely wasn't the type of thing she'd been expecting, but it did sound cool. "Uh, are those hard to learn? And wouldn't you need lots?"

Penguinator
2015-01-14, 01:08 AM
Dorian began to whisper, although no one but the merchant was in the shop. "Well, I'm not sure works in the Shadow world, my Lady. It seems like weapons don't function the same way there." He resumed a normal speaking tone, adding, "As for being hard to learn, it's little more than a proper flick of the wrist."

banthesun
2015-01-14, 01:18 AM
"Oh, okay! That doesn't sound to bad!" Kyoko relaxed a little at Dorian's reassurances. "I was a little worried we'd have to buy a bunch of expensive knives!"

Penguinator
2015-01-14, 01:40 AM
Dorian put a semi-serious finger to his lips. "If he hears you say it's expensive, he charges even more."

banthesun
2015-01-14, 01:44 AM
Kyoko leaned in and started whispering too. "Eep! Sorry!"

Penguinator
2015-01-17, 03:16 PM
Dorian laughed. "It's okay, I'm pretty good at haggling with him. Even on days when he's feeling less generous." He opened the door for the girl, adding, "Let's go find you a set of throwing knives."

banthesun
2015-01-17, 06:17 PM
Kyoko gave a small bow as she passed through the door. "Um, what type of thing should I be looking for in these?" she asked.

Penguinator
2015-01-18, 07:00 PM
"Mostly feel. What feels right in your hand."

banthesun
2015-01-18, 10:48 PM
I don't think anything will feel right...

Despite her misgivings, Kyoko started browsing the store, eventually picking out a set of straight daggers.

"Uh, I don't really know if these are good, but I could try?"

Penguinator
2015-01-20, 03:51 AM
Dorian pointed towards the back room. "And that is what the practice room is for, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-20, 05:42 AM
"Oh. Right."

Kyoko hurried back to the practice room, bowing to the shopkeep as she went. Inside, she stood in the middle of the room, turning a knife over in her hand.

"Uh, I imagine there's more than just throwing it?" she asked, hoping for instructions.

Penguinator
2015-01-20, 12:52 PM
Dorian nodded, silently taking one of the knives to get a feel for it. "Balanced blade, good for a beginner. You'll want to throw it from as close to the middle as you can." He showed her with his hand, adding, "Grip it like you would a hammer." He took up a stance and wielded the knife, a serious look on his face. "Range is something you'll get used to with practice; that affects what angle you throw from. Keep in mind that the knife has to turn at least one full rotation to land with its point in its target. Here, take up a stance like this: your dominant leg behind, with all of your weight on it. Raise your throwing arm, and make sure the knife is far enough away from your face. Shift weight to boost momentum, and..." The knife swished through the air, burying its point into the practice dummy. "Like so. Try it a few times, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-20, 10:43 PM
Kyoko tried to keep all the instructions in mind. This is supposed to be easy? Still, she took one of the knives and tried. Her first throw was pretty weak, just landing flat on the ground. She tried again a few more times, with little more success, but on her fourth throw the blade ended up burying itself in, though not the target, a wooden beam behind it.

"Ah! Was that it?"

I'm not sure what I was going differently that time though...

Penguinator
2015-01-22, 10:36 AM
Dorian laughed slightly, picking up the knives. "You'll get there, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-22, 10:42 PM
For a moment, Kyoko felt a bit ashamed that she'd gotten excited about that last throw, but soon joined Dorian in laughter. "So I guess these are what I'm going to be practicing with? We'll go buy them now?"

Penguinator
2015-01-24, 12:24 AM
Dorian nodded, still grinning. "They seem to be a good choice, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-24, 01:09 AM
Kyoko headed to the counter with Dorian, presenting the weapons, then stepping back. "Uh, I can probably pay, but I don't want to say anything that upsets him." she whispered to Dorian.

Penguinator
2015-01-24, 01:37 PM
Dorian nodded, whispering, "Wait here," then took the knives and whisked the merchant away from the counter. From a distance, Kyoko could likely make out bits and pieces of the conversation.

"Seven Suns of Sun Tzu? I thought I bought his blade last week."
"Ah, yes, but not seven of them."
"Come, now. Not every weapon in this shop can belong to Sun Tzu. He wasn't even Japanese."
"You would be surprised."

After a few more moments, Dorian returned with a small bag and a large grin. "Purchased. Let's go."

banthesun
2015-01-25, 03:22 AM
"Oh!" Kyoko looked surprised, but left the shop with Dorian. "I said I could pay for it though. Uh, if it didn't cost too much, I guess..."

Penguinator
2015-01-26, 01:16 AM
"Not another word, my Lady."

banthesun
2015-01-26, 02:07 AM
"Okay..." Kyoko accepted with a frown, there wasn't really much she could say against that. She turned, and started heading back towards the dorms with him.

Penguinator
2015-01-26, 02:24 AM
As they made their way back to the dorms, Dorian held the door open for Kyoko. After they entered, he bowed and moved toward his room. "I will see you again soon, my Lady. If you ever wish for a proper training session, let me know."

banthesun
2015-01-26, 03:37 AM
"Thank you!" Kyoko returned the bow. "I probably will need one... Well, see you later!"