PDA

View Full Version : Can a light weapon be two handed?

kreenlover
2014-12-14, 04:33 PM
Quick rules question: Is there a way to change a weapon from one type to another? (ex. light to one handed, one handed to two-handed, etc.)

Either changing the type, or making it count as the next type up, either one works.
Thanks in advance.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 04:44 PM
Quick rules question: Is there a way to change a weapon from one type to another? (ex. light to one handed, one handed to two-handed, etc.)

Either changing the type, or making it count as the next type up, either one works.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah. Just make it larger. That comes with a penalty for inappropriately sized weapons though.

It might be easier to tell us what you're trying to do. I'll hazard a guess that you want to use weapon finesse with a two hander. If that's the case then you probably want an elven courtblade. It's in either races of the wild or complete warrior (I can never remember which). It's an exotic, two-handed weapon that can be used with weapon finesse and has the damage and threat range of a greatsword.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-14, 04:46 PM
IIRC, increasing a weapon's size make it go up one category, provided the wielder doesn't increase his size as well.

There should also be a light 2-handed exotic rapier in RotW. I'm sure that it's a 2H fineassable weapon, but I can't remember whether or not it actually counts as a light weapon. Sorry for my vagueness, but I'm a little dizzy at the moment.

EDIT: I've been swordsaged TWICE at the same time? Kelb, Time Stand Still looks a bit like overkill. :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 04:51 PM
IIRC, increasing a weapon's size make it go up one category, provided the wielder doesn't increase his size as well.

There should also be a light 2-handed exotic rapier in RotW. I'm sure that it's a 2H fineassable weapon, but I can't remember whether or not it actually counts as a light weapon. Sorry for my vagueness, but I'm a little dizzy at the moment.

EDIT: I've been swordsaged TWICE at the same time? Kelb, Time Stand Still looks a bit like overkill. :smalltongue:

Eh?

Did I ninja you twice?

Uncle Pine
2014-12-14, 04:58 PM
Eh?

Did I ninja you twice?

Yep. About both the weapon's size and the elven courtblade. :smallsmile:

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 05:16 PM
Yep. About both the weapon's size and the elven courtblade. :smallsmile:

Ah. Gotcha.

:cool::smalltongue:

kreenlover
2014-12-14, 05:22 PM
Well...
It's more of theory crafting, but I was looking at the morphing weapon ability.
Was wondering if there was some way to change a dagger into, say, a greatsword, with that ability, or if that was impossible.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 05:30 PM
Well...
Was wondering if there was some way to change a dagger into, say, a greatsword, with that ability, or if that was impossible.

Oh.

The book that originally came from, Underdark, has the anyweapon. It's priced as a, I want to say, shortsword with the morphing and sizing (+1, at the time) properties and can become any weapon the wielder pleases.

Therefore, I suggest asking your DM if you can acquire an anyweapon or if he'd be willing to let you add the property of being able to change into any weapon at the cost of a +2.

Andezzar
2014-12-14, 05:46 PM
Well...
Was wondering if there was some way to change a dagger into, say, a greatsword, with that ability, or if that was impossible.It may not be the intention of the rule, but there are weapons in each category that are also thrown weapons. Thrown weapons can be morphed into other thrown weapons which are also light/one-handed/two-handed weapons.

For example start with a dagger. That is a thrown weapon. A thrown weapon can be morphed into any other thrown weapon, like a short spear. A short spear is also a one-handed melee weapon. Alternately you could morph the dagger into a spear, which is a thrown weapon as well as a two-handed weapon. Then go from there to the desired weapon in the appropriate category.

Darrin
2014-12-14, 08:11 PM

In general, no, although there are tricks you can play with the Morphing/Sizing, properties, certain exotic weapons, and the Feycraft template.

Could you be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish? For example, if you just need a two-handed weapon that you could use Weapon Finesse with, then the Spiked Chain or Elven Courtblade (Races of the Wild) should work.

Then there's certain tricks with bastard swords... for example, it counds as a one-handed exotic weapon and a two-handed martial weapon, so if you add Morphing, then there's an argument it can be changed into either a one-handed or two-handed weapon. If the bastard sword is also a Sun Blade (DMG version), then it also counts as a shortsword, so it could morph into another light weapon (which still does damage as a bastard sword). But the wording is shaky... not all DMs are going to let that fly at their table.

Some other stupid weapon tricks:

Dragonsplit (MMIV p. 151) is a one-handed melee weapon that counts as a light weapon for the purposes of TWF and Weapon Finesse.

A Variable spiked shield (+1 enhancement, MIC) can be transformed into a light weapon or a one-handed weapon, and from there you can Morph it into some other weapon. Or make it out of Riverine (Stormwrack), add Sizing (MIC) and Flying (from Magic of Faerun), and turn it into a colossal tower shield: 15' x 30' wall of force that you can direct around the battlefield or ride it like a surfboard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5).

kreenlover
2014-12-14, 08:31 PM
Well, as for what specifically I wanted it for it was a necklace of natural weapon for an NPC's fists...
Since unarmed strikes are light, that was limiting me to light weapons. But if it is possible to go the thrown weapon route, Sunblade/bastard sword route, or anything like that.
Well. Then suddenly my NPC has hands that can be anything!
And I don't like just houseruling these things in. I'd rather do it by RAW than that oddly enough. Pride as an optimizer or something? :smalltongue:

torrasque666
2014-12-14, 08:33 PM
well, as for what specifically i wanted it for it was a necklace of natural weapon for an npc's fists...
Since unarmed strikes are light, that was limiting me to light weapons. But if it is possible to go the thrown weapon route, sunblade/bastard sword route, or anything like that.
Well. Then suddenly my npc has hands that can be anything!
And i don't like just houseruling these things in. I'd rather do it by raw than that oddly enough. Pride as an optimizer or something? :smalltongue:

ooh ooh! Punching dagger hands!

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 08:42 PM
Fun thought:

A monk's unarmed strike counts as a manufactured weapon. A light weapon with morphing can turn into any other light weapon. This means a +1 morphing dagger can be come a +1 monk's unarmed strike. What does that even look like?

graeylin
2014-12-15, 12:08 AM
there's a property you can enhance a spear with, to go from shortspear, spear, to longspear. Add the morphing enhancement, and you should be able to go through most weapons and sizes that way.

Curmudgeon
2014-12-15, 12:34 AM
There should also be a light 2-handed exotic rapier in RotW. I'm sure that it's a 2H fineassable weapon, but I can't remember whether or not it actually counts as a light weapon.
Except for it being a finessable 2-handed exotic greatsword, you're probably thinking of the Elven Courtblade.
Characters proficient with the elven courtblade may treat it as a greatsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization. You probably got it mixed up with either the Elven Lightblade or Elven Thinblade: both finessable rapier-like weapons, but not 2-handed.

kreenlover
2014-12-15, 12:54 AM
What does that even look like?

It would look like absolute nonsense :smalltongue: About as ridiculous as a man turning his hands into longspears, then greatswords, then spiked chains, then dire flails. :smallbiggrin:
I'm actually imagining a fist attached to a hilt.

there's a property you can enhance a spear with, to go from shortspear, spear, to longspear. Add the morphing enhancement, and you should be able to go through most weapons and sizes that way.

Ah-ha! That just might do it. Thanks!