PDA

View Full Version : Player Help domains and prestige classes

crankykobold
2014-12-14, 09:00 PM
As far as I know, prestige classes that grant +1 divine spellcasting level advance domain casting and granted powers. Does this hold true for the elemental turning/commanding such as with the air domain? Also, is there a definitive answer as to whether or not the alternate turning abilities can power divine feats?

DrMotives
2014-12-14, 09:09 PM
PrC's that add casting level don't make turning undead better, so it stands to reason they don't help turn elementals or whatever else a domain grants. Also, divine feats often specify using positive or negative energy, although there are some that specify using a use of turn/rebuke elemental instead. I suppose if a divine feat didn't seem to blatantly positive or negative, then another turn/rebuke ability could still power it, as those other types are more manifesting divine will than channeling energy.

crankykobold
2014-12-15, 12:26 PM
I have been looking at everything involving domains and PrC. Seems the bit about granted powers advancing along with caster level given by PrC is something houseruled or misunderstood by the group that converted me from 2nd to 3.x. I never questioned it, and it's never come up as an issue in any group I've played with since. I now feel the need to read all the core books cover to cover, hopefully that will pass.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-15, 01:36 PM
Complete divine goes into a lot of detail about domains and how they progress if I remember right. Unless the PRC specifies that it improves your domain abilities granted by your levels in cleric, it does not. On the other hand, it is possible to gain a domain from a feat or some other non-class means. Those domains progress based on your HD, not class level.

Going by memory here though, check complete divine.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-15, 01:38 PM
Alternate turning abilities cannot power divine feats normally. I think there were a few odd exceptions, but I could be misremembering.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-15, 02:02 PM
It depends on the wording of the divine feat. Some say "Turn or Rebuke Undead", others just say "Turn or rebuke". They work for the second, not the first. Note, some extra pools, like the rebuke dragons pool a dragonborn can get DO specify you can use them "as a turn or rebuke undead" use to power feats. Those work with both.

It's a bit messy really.

Sam K
2014-12-15, 02:44 PM
It depends on the wording of the divine feat. Some say "Turn or Rebuke Undead", others just say "Turn or rebuke". They work for the second, not the first. Note, some extra pools, like the rebuke dragons pool a dragonborn can get DO specify you can use them "as a turn or rebuke undead" use to power feats. Those work with both.

It's a bit messy really.

It's almost as if they didn't playtest it...

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-15, 02:49 PM

It's a bit messy really.

Elemental Smiting and Elemental Healing explicitly call out being able to turn/rebuke elementals.