PDA

View Full Version : E6 Ways of speaking louder?

heavyfuel
2014-12-14, 10:37 PM
This is related to bardic music and how it affects everyone who can hear the Bard

One most situations, this doesn't really matter, but in this scenario, we're talking about a battlefield bard. He needs to be able to shout his Perform (Oratory) as loudly as possible so as to affect the maximum number of people surrounding him.

What are some ways to do this? Preferably in e6, but the DM might allow items of higher CL if he deems appropriate.

Feats, items, spells, creative usage of rules. All allowed, even cheese.

Fenryr
2014-12-14, 10:47 PM
Ghost Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghostSound.htm) and Sculpt Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sculptSound.htm). Quite simple.

SiuiS
2014-12-14, 11:00 PM
This is related to bardic music and how it affects everyone who can hear the Bard

One most situations, this doesn't really matter, but in this scenario, we're talking about a battlefield bard. He needs to be able to shout his Perform (Oratory) as loudly as possible so as to affect the maximum number of people surrounding him.

What are some ways to do this? Preferably in e6, but the DM might allow items of higher CL if he deems appropriate.

Feats, items, spells, creative usage of rules. All allowed, even cheese.

The amplify spell. But really, you're better off getting an all horn and stowing it in your handy haversack. Blow one, and your bardic music distance becomes one mile – as long as you're still blowing the horn.

DrMotives
2014-12-14, 11:12 PM
The horn makes sense, bugles are battlefield instruments for a reason after all. If you want to amplify oratory though, you might look into theatre masks from Ancient Greece. They have a megaphone like effect for the mouth, to help the actor's voice carry more. I can see an in-game version counting as a masterwork tool for acting or oratory, and then could be enchanted to boost it more.

Nevershutup
2014-12-14, 11:21 PM
The spell, Resounding Voice, from Heroes of Battle, has a long range, and is 3rd level on the cleric list.

Ruethgar
2014-12-15, 12:05 AM
The cantrip Yell is on the bard list. Gives everyone a +10 to hear you IIRC.

Kraken
2014-12-15, 12:37 AM
Admiral’s Bicorne: This elaborately braided headgear is made of rich blue felt, embroidered with golden thread. It often has a showy badge called a cockade, proclaiming nationality, faith, family crest, and the like. A humanoid or monstrous humanoid who dons the admiral’s bicorne gains a +5 bonus on Profession (sailor) checks and all Charisma-based checks (including Leadership) as long as it is worn. The wearer’s voice is magically amplified, so that it can be heard clearly by anyone within 100 feet; class features and effects that depend on hearing the speaker benefit from the increased range. Finally, the admiral’s bicorne grants a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks to allies within sound of the wearer’s voice (including the wearer).
Strong conjuration; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, eagle’s splendor; heroism, owl’s wisdom, ventriloquism. Price 51,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Pretty spendy though, you might ask for a version that only has the amplification effect, which should be pretty cheap, as it'd probably only require ventriloquism as the required crafting spell.

Gnome Alone
2014-12-15, 01:38 AM

I know it's for a Perform Oratory) bard, but I am having all sorts of fun imagining delicate songs that can be magically screeched at the top of one's lungs.

heavyfuel
2014-12-15, 06:49 AM
Ghost Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghostSound.htm) and Sculpt Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sculptSound.htm). Quite simple.

Sculpt Sound is beyond the capabilities of my e6 bard, being a 3rd lv spell and all. And I don't think Ghost Sound has the power to carry sound based effects like bardic music.

The amplify spell. But really, you're better off getting an all horn and stowing it in your handy haversack. Blow one, and your bardic music distance becomes one mile – as long as you're still blowing the horn.

Amplify works quite nicely. Now to make independent research for a version that affects a single person. Thanks!

The horn idea works, but I think a feat for a spell (Extra Spell) is better than a feat for some extra skill points in perform (horn) (Open Minded).

The spell, Resounding Voice, from Heroes of Battle, has a long range, and is 3rd level on the cleric list.

It's actually 2nd level, and also 2nd lv Bard spell. It seems pretty weak when compared to Amplify, considering it's a touch spell and all, but it's worth considering in case my DM doesn't allow my independant research, even if it will be harder to get my hands on it.

Where can I find this?

Pretty spendy though, you might ask for a version that only has the amplification effect, which should be pretty cheap, as it'd probably only require ventriloquism as the required crafting spell.

I'll check with my DM. Thanks!

Jormengand
2014-12-15, 11:22 AM
Clarion Call is a first-level spell from Pathfinder on the Bard, Cleric, Magus and Sorcerer/Wizard lists. It explicitly both is and isn't an Oracle spell (is on Cle/Ora spell list, doesn't list Oracle in level field), but otherwise you should be fine. -15 on listen DCs for shouting, and free trumpet.

SiuiS
2014-12-15, 02:03 PM
Extra skill points unneeded. If you have one rank in perform (horn) then you can use your bardic music. You need a minimum perform in any one category, not the category you are using for the music.

You could take perform (pole dancing) at max rank and then inspire courage with a rousing speech (oratory), a few gaudy jokes (acting) or melodious harp strains (strings).

Inevitability
2014-12-15, 04:13 PM
You could take perform (pole dancing) at max rank and then inspire courage with a rousing speech (oratory), a few gaudy jokes (acting) or melodious harp strains (strings).

Or Perform (Sexual Acts).

:smalleek: I just realized a bard could actually use that as his main skill...

Ruethgar
2014-12-15, 07:11 PM
Yell is from Dragon #302 page 51. It does specify a 10 word message so I'm not sure if it would work with bardic music.

heavyfuel
2014-12-15, 10:04 PM
Extra skill points unneeded. If you have one rank in perform (horn) then you can use your bardic music. You need a minimum perform in any one category, not the category you are using for the music.

Extra skill points would still be required as he's past lv6 and his points have all been spent already

Yell is from Dragon #302 page 51. It does specify a 10 word message so I'm not sure if it would work with bardic music.

Cool. I don't have the magazines handy right now, but if that's the only thing about the spell then it should work.

Renen
2014-12-27, 09:38 PM
Get Alphorn. Its so loud, things in d10 miles can hear you. Its in Song and Silence.
And I dont think you technically need to have points in perform (horn) or anything. You just need a certain amount of points to perform your perform skills. Just because the performance is with a horn compared to oratory technically doesnt matter.

goto124
2014-12-28, 08:58 AM
You could take perform (pole dancing) at max rank and then inspire courage with an arousing speech (oratory), a few gaudy jokes (acting)

I misread it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html) :smalltongue:

The Viscount
2014-12-29, 07:18 PM
Rings of Communication (MIC) are a bargain at only 2000 each, though you will need one for every member of the party that you want to benefit from music, plus one for yourself. They transmit up to 1 mile.