PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Question.

Lolzords
2007-03-28, 01:32 PM
I want to make an evil ranger character. He speeds about the forests testing himself against all he comes across, killing all kinds of stuff to test how good he is. He shows some honour and is a free spirit. He works together with some people but has a couldn't care less attitude about everyone apart from himself, and a few select others.

My question: What alignment best suits this character?

I originally had Neutral Evil, but i looked at the NE description and wasn't too sure about it.

While we're at it, what's a good god for him?

Olethros
2007-03-28, 01:36 PM
Unless he sets out to perform evil acts Id say X-neutral, depending on his views of law (not carring about them and preferentially breaking them are two different things).

Krellen
2007-03-28, 01:40 PM
It's hard to give a character an alignment based on a paragraph.

What does he test himself against? How does he test himself? Can he only "win" by killing?

What do you mean by "honour"? What do you mean by "free spirit"? How does he feel about the agents of the King who probably try to stop him?

Who are the others he works with? A select few, or only a small number of people at a time, but those people vary?

We need more information.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-03-28, 01:40 PM
Does he really enjoy killing things? Like really enjoy it? He'd be a good canidate for CE if thats the case.

If not, he really sounds more CN.

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-28, 01:42 PM
What you describe could potentially be TN, but I assume that he will indeed do more evil acts than good or neutral ones (killing a dryad just to watch her die, that sort of thing). However, he's not so unrestrained as a Chaotic Evil character would be; he also seems too chaotic to be Lawful. He falls somewhere between Lawful and Chaotic, and that's the very definition of Neutral.

So yeah, I would place him as NE.

Matthew
2007-03-29, 04:41 PM
If this is a Player Character, you don't need to worry about it. The DM should assign an appropriate Alignment. If this is an NPC you are creating, you need to ask yourself what kind of actions he has carried out in the past, whether they are Evil and whether they are Chaotic. Chances are they are Evil, but whether they are Chaotic, Neutral or Lawful is another matter. As for what Deity would be most appropriate, what is the setting? Greyhawk?

Dhavaer
2007-03-29, 08:52 PM
Sounds like Neutral or Chaotic Evil to me. Most likely neutral.