View Full Version : Planar Binding as a Sorcerer

RoboEmperor
2014-12-15, 08:03 AM
My Plan
1. Reach level 17
2. Get Wish, and retrain a spell for Gate
3. Use Wish to chain Legend Lores to learn the name of a powerful creature
4. Rest
5. Use Wish to cast an Extended Magic Circle Against Alignment as a level 8 spell (12 hours)
6. Rest
7. Use Gate to bring a powerful celestial, elemental, fey or fiend into the magic circle
8. Use Wish to cast Planar Binding as a level 8 spell (6 months)

Problem: You need to cast Wish and gate in the same day. That's 2 level 9 spells, and you only got 1 per day...

Honestly, I haven't finished reading the PHB. Been only looking at areas of interest. As far as I know though, no way to craft scrolls so... anyone got a solution? :D

I tried fooling around with geas but, it's also not on the sorcerer spell list >.<

edit:Updated magic circle with extended magic circle so I only need 2 level 9 spells cast on a single day.
Possible solution is casting mass suggestion between steps 7. and 8. to suggest the called creature that getting planar bound by you is a great idea. That way you can rest and use wish to planar bind the creature the next day.

Heartspan
2014-12-15, 08:58 AM
Try scrolls, or get a cleric team member to help

Jlooney
2014-12-15, 09:32 AM
Every time wish is cast you have a chance to never be able to cast it again.

Celcey
2014-12-15, 10:31 AM
Every time wish is cast you have a chance to never be able to cast it again.

That only applies if you're not using it to cast a spell. If you're using wish to cast geas, for example, then you're fine.

Inevitability
2014-12-15, 01:20 PM
That only applies if you're not using it to cast a spell of 8th level or lower. If you're using wish to cast geas, for example, then you're fine.

Fixed that for you.

SharkForce
2014-12-15, 05:34 PM
i have a somewhat risky alternate solution for you:

instead of planar binding, have a specific purpose in mind. use your magic to find a creature or person (or several) that could accomplish whatever it is that you want.

now use mass suggestion to suggest that it's the most important thing for them. use a level 9 slot for it.

you now have up to 12 things that will spend the next year or so doing whatever it is you wanted them to do.

the risk, of course, comes from the possibility that they make their saves and figure out what you were trying to do. on the plus side, you can try again the next round though you'll have to settle for less than a year.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-15, 06:29 PM
Wait! I just remembered sorcerers can extend stuff!
Wish + Extend a magic circle for a total of 12 hours!
So I do that, rest up, then gate a guy in... now I got 4 hours to somehow get a 2nd wish
Hmm
Sorcerers do have dominate monster...
Argh >.< so close.

SharkForce
2014-12-15, 06:41 PM
well, if you're fixated on this in particular as a method of controlling creatures, i suppose i could remind you that you can always wish for a simulacrum. provided you choose as a target someone else who can cast magic circle and some form of summoning spell capable of summoning whatever critter it is that you wanted to summon, that means you only need to provide the planar binding effect (which you might as well extend). obviously, don't have them do so until after your rest.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-15, 08:18 PM
I appreciate your help SharkForce. It's just that I like my methods to be somewhat independent of the DM. Gate is the spell for this as I can bring in any creature I want, anywhere, anytime where as locating and hunting is somewhat DM dependent as he could just say I don't have the time or it doesn't exist in this setting or w.e

I also have some trouble understanding suggestion.

Is this legal?

1. Extended magic circle via wish for 12 hours
2. Rest
3. Gate in a celestial, elemental, fey or fiend
4. Spam Mass Suggestion until you succeed, and the suggested course of action is getting planar bound by me is a great idea!
5. Rest
6. Planar Bind the next day. Creature intentionally fails the charisma saving throw because it agreed to when it lost its wisdom saving throw in step 4.

Is intentionally failing saving throws a thing in this game?

Best thing about this is Wish requires absolutely no material components, so I can make an army with this for free :D, not that I would though. Is planar binding dispellable?

edit: Simulacrum like SharkForce suggested ain't a bad idea, but it requires the existence of a wizard or cleric who can cast gate, and has the spell prepared. The new simulacrum's limitations are very strict.

SharkForce
2014-12-16, 12:46 AM
I appreciate your help SharkForce. It's just that I like my methods to be somewhat independent of the DM. Gate is the spell for this as I can bring in any creature I want, anywhere, anytime where as locating and hunting is somewhat DM dependent as he could just say I don't have the time or it doesn't exist in this setting or w.e

I also have some trouble understanding suggestion.

Is this legal?

1. Extended magic circle via wish for 12 hours
2. Rest
3. Gate in a celestial, elemental, fey or fiend
4. Spam Mass Suggestion until you succeed, and the suggested course of action is getting planar bound by me is a great idea!
5. Rest
6. Planar Bind the next day. Creature intentionally fails the charisma saving throw because it agreed to when it lost its wisdom saving throw in step 4.

Is intentionally failing saving throws a thing in this game?

Best thing about this is Wish requires absolutely no material components, so I can make an army with this for free :D, not that I would though. Is planar binding dispellable?

whether or not you can suggest that the creature wants to be bound to servitude is not clear. you could probably find some way of getting this set up though.

edit: Simulacrum like SharkForce suggested ain't a bad idea, but it requires the existence of a wizard or cleric who can cast gate, and has the spell prepared. The new simulacrum's limitations are very strict.

simulacrum does not require anyone who can cast gate.

let's suppose you want an invisible stalker. you don't need a gate spell for this. you can summon one with a conjure elemental spell as a level 6 slot. no gate spell required.

so, you need someone who can make a magic circle (2 hour duration from a level 4 slot will do just fine), and can cast conjure elemental (again, you do not need a gate spell), and has level 6 spell slots.

1) use wish to get your simulacrum. a level 11 caster who is fond of conjuring elementals is likely sufficient for the invisible stalker. precise needs will vary according to what creature(s) you want.
2) rest.
3) order your simulacrum to prepare the circle.
4) order your simulacrum to conjure the elemental.
5) use your wish spell to cast planar binding on the elemental.

(as a helpful hint: land circle druids of the coast always have conjure elemental prepared if they can cast it)

RoboEmperor
2014-12-16, 01:06 AM
simulacrum does not require anyone who can cast gate.

let's suppose you want an invisible stalker. you don't need a gate spell for this. you can summon one with a conjure elemental spell as a level 6 slot. no gate spell required.

so, you need someone who can make a magic circle (2 hour duration from a level 4 slot will do just fine), and can cast conjure elemental (again, you do not need a gate spell), and has level 6 spell slots.

1) use wish to get your simulacrum. a level 11 caster who is fond of conjuring elementals is likely sufficient for the invisible stalker. precise needs will vary according to what creature(s) you want.
2) rest.
3) order your simulacrum to prepare the circle.
4) order your simulacrum to conjure the elemental.
5) use your wish spell to cast planar binding on the elemental.

(as a helpful hint: land circle druids of the coast always have conjure elemental prepared if they can cast it)

Thanks for your advice. That's what I'll do if I want a monster summonable from conjure celestial/elemental/etc.

Right now though, I want a sorcerer who can bind a super powerful fiend like a wizard could, except as a sorcerer because I like sorcerer fluff.

I'll dance around suggestions, and try to find some additional ways to keep a creature passive for 24 hours+. I think suggesting it that getting planar bound to me would work though, after all, I am powerful henceforth have nice potential of finding super good loot along the way or something similar. I don't actually HAVE to share loot, it is a suggestion after all XD. I'm currently thinking suggestion spells are like what you could suggest to a completely sleep-starved highly suggestible person (zombie), so it doesn't have to make sense, only half-sense.

Unless someone here proves me wrong.

You yourself suggested I use mass suggestion right? :D.

*thinks to himself*
HE GATED ME IN TO MAKE ME HIS SLAVE! I'M A KILL HIM!
*Suggestion*
HMM! MAYBE BECOMING HIS SLAVE AIN'T A BAD IDEA! HE SEEMS LIKE A NICE GUY TO SERVE!