PDA

View Full Version : Good Wii U games?

Eldan
2014-12-15, 08:06 AM
So, my brother recently got himself a Wii U. Mostly because his Wii broke down and he wanted to have one around, mainly for Smash Brothers and a few other local multiplayer games.

Now, since Christmas is coming up, I was wondering. What games are there to recommend on the Wii U itself? (Or is there anything good that he might have missed and that the Wii U is backwards compatible with?) Perhaps not something that just came out, new games are ridiculously expensive.

Zevox
2014-12-15, 08:19 AM
Besides Smash, I've played two, both very good.

Bayonetta 2 is fantastic, my personal game of the year and new favorite action game of all time. It's cheesy and over-the-top fun, with some of the best combat you could ask for. Can't recommend it highly enough unless you just don't like the genre at all.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is also a very strong one for its genre, with some great level design and fun boss fights. Plus, Cranky Kong is basically Scrooge McDuck, which is great.

I've also heard that Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 are very good, but have yet to play them.

Eldan
2014-12-15, 08:28 AM
Oh, they made a Donkey Kong game? Yeah, that's a given then, my brother loved every single one he played so far.

danzibr
2014-12-15, 09:55 AM
I've also heard that Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 are very good, but have yet to play them.
I can vouch for Pikmin 3 being great. To be totally honest, I preferred Pikmin 2, but Pikmin 3 is still good.

Beyond that, Resident Evil Revelations is on Wii U (among others).

Mando Knight
2014-12-15, 11:52 AM
Super Mario 3D World is a good platformer... sort of a blend of 2D Mario games (particularly World and 3) and the 3D ones (i.e. Mario 64). Plus, like the New Super Mario Bros games, it has 4-person sabotage co-op, and unlike NSMB you get Peach (complete with hover) instead of 2 Toads.

Mario Kart 8 is also a good game if you like multiplayer games in general and/or Mario Kart in particular.

Hunter Noventa
2014-12-15, 01:14 PM
I'll second Mario Kart 8 for certain.

New Super Mario Brothers U is good, it's the more traditional 2D Mario as opposed to the 3D you get in 3D world.

I don't own it, but I've heard lots of praise for Hyrule Warriors. Hardly the most complex of gameplay, but it's very cathartic.

Unfortunately, most of the best games for Wii and Wii U are First-party games, and Nintendo never seems to let the price drop on them.

TaRix
2014-12-15, 01:52 PM
I'll second Mario Kart 8 for certain.

New Super Mario Brothers U is good, it's the more traditional 2D Mario as opposed to the 3D you get in 3D world.

I don't own it, but I've heard lots of praise for Hyrule Warriors. Hardly the most complex of gameplay, but it's very cathartic.

Unfortunately, most of the best games for Wii and Wii U are First-party games, and Nintendo never seems to let the price drop on them.

Nintendo might not drop their own prices, but stores certainly do. Some of those titles might still be on shelves with attractive clearance prices.

As for Mighty 101, I was sent a demo and couldn't figure anything out. Maybe I should have read the electric manual (can't stand 'em.)

If the WiiU's connected with a Nintendo Connect (or whatever) account, he's probably also been given a one-day pass for the WiiU sports thing as well.

I recommend Game and Wario, though. Silly small-game fun that takes full advantage of WiiU features and has a very nice Pictionary-type game that's fun for friends and relatives. Lots of odd little widgets also get unlocked.
Pikmin 3 is great, but I'd like it better if it had the whimsical element of finding more Planet stuff instead of fruit. Fruit's nice, just kinda boring.

Hytheter
2014-12-15, 08:28 PM
Rayman Legends is really good if you don't have it on another console already. I have it on PS3 myself, but Wii U is what it was originally designed for iirc.

Happy Gravity
2014-12-15, 08:45 PM
Pikmin 3 is great, but I'd like it better if it had the whimsical element of finding more Planet stuff instead of fruit. Fruit's nice, just kinda boring.
I like Pikmin 3 as well, but honestly it feels much shorter than 2.

It might just be my childhood talking, but it felt like there was more stuff to do in 2 and lacking a ticking clock really opened up the game for me, personally.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-12-15, 09:09 PM
Hyrule Warriors is ridiculously fun hack-and-slash. Big fan.

BeerMug Paladin
2014-12-16, 04:34 PM
I've been playing Hyrule Warriors a lot lately. It's a good kind of mindless grindy game. If you know what to expect from that and enjoy the genre, it's probably worthwhile.

I'd also second Rayman Legends, the various Mario games, Donkey Kong, etc... All good recommendations.

Obviously, Smash Brothers: Uhhh.. Brouhaha is also a good choice.

Also, if you're up for the virtual console stuff there's a lot of good stuff out for it. I don't know if the Wii U shop has the entire catalog the Wii had, but if it does Toejam & Earl is a pretty fun game I'd recommend to people.

OracleofWuffing
2014-12-17, 12:22 AM
Not so much for local multiplayer, but I was under the impression there was a good following of people that absolutely adored Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I'm... Not of that group, so someone else is better to sing its praises, but it was a launch title, so you might find good prices on it.

Knaight
2014-12-17, 02:26 AM
There's the paint shooter (Splattersomething). I have only heard good things about it, and it looked promising.

OracleofWuffing
2014-12-17, 03:50 AM
Sounds like you're thinking of Splatoon. However, that won't be out for another couple of months.

Knaight
2014-12-17, 01:56 PM
Sounds like you're thinking of Splatoon. However, that won't be out for another couple of months.

That's the one. I was thinking it was out already, apparently not.

danzibr
2014-12-17, 08:47 PM
Not so much for local multiplayer, but I was under the impression there was a good following of people that absolutely adored Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I'm... Not of that group, so someone else is better to sing its praises, but it was a launch title, so you might find good prices on it.
I got the game due to its praise. It was alright. For a combat-oriented game, the combat was too slow and clunky for me.

Qwertystop
2014-12-21, 01:03 AM
Xenoblade always comes up for Wii games that might have been missed. Virtual Console has Earthbound and Super Metroid and a lot of Kirby, if you want any of those. They recently added a bunch of Mega man, too, though I'm not sure which ones are good (haven't played many of the platformers, and they decided to go with BN1 :smallconfused: and BCC :smallyuk: for their BN entries, but I know 2 and Zero were good).

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-21, 03:13 PM
I like Pikmin 3 as well, but honestly it feels much shorter than 2.

It might just be my childhood talking, but it felt like there was more stuff to do in 2 and lacking a ticking clock really opened up the game for me, personally.

*sigh* I really should get Pikmin 2... I've gotten all 30 parts in the first one in like, 26 days? I can't remember if it the four was 24, or four days to spare.

Qwertystop
2014-12-21, 03:56 PM
I liked 3 - there's technically a timer, but it's a very lenient one. I think I ended it with like 40 bottles left, and I didn't go for 100%, and was a lot less efficient than I could have been. It's just enough of a timer that you can't afford to completely ignore the fruit, but if you ignored all the fruit and just ran for the plot you'd probably be ending most days before noon anyway.

Peebles
2014-12-22, 09:38 AM
Bayonetta 2 is excellent, and I'd third(?) Hyrule Warriors as being entertaining. There's not much content for the Wii U, at least not over here in the UK, which makes recommendations difficult. At least you can play old Wii games on it, Okami comes to mind in particular.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-22, 10:08 AM
I was just going to post this topic; the wife and i got ourselves a Wii U two days ago (Smash Bro's bundle).

Rayman and Mario Carts looks good. I am also looking for the bundle with 8bit classic games I saw online but haven't ordered yet.

Bayonetta? *ARgH*. I looked at the intro and some let's plays and I get rashes just from looking at it... So... completely... Japanese. And by that I mean incoherent fighting, nausea-inducing action and over the top weirdness (in a bad way, unlike Rayman) and... stuff.

In other news I still suck at Fighting Games. I spent yesterday playing Super Smash Bros and let' just say I haven't gotten any better since last time I played a fighting game (some odd 20 years ago). :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-22, 06:08 PM
Donkey Kong and Cart looks good. So does a few indie games, like the steam digger or whatever it's called.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-23, 08:06 PM
So, for a platformer, what is recommended?

The way I see it there are a few of them I am interested in:

Epic Mickey 1 and 2.
Rayman (the newest)
The new Donkey Kong
Or one of the two Marios.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-23, 09:19 PM
So, for a platformer, what is recommended?

1. Go to the Wii U's Virtual Store.
2. Buy Super Metroid.

Drascin
2014-12-24, 04:45 AM
1. Go to the Wii U's Virtual Store.
2. Buy Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is an exploration game, man. The platforming is very much secondary.

For a 2D platformer the Donkey Kong Country Returns games, both the Wii and WiiU one, are positively marvelous. Rayman Legends is also super duper great, but it's a game that you can usually get for seven bucks on PC during Steam Sales and such so I have trouble recommending people to buy it for full price even if it is worth it.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-24, 05:49 AM
PLatformers, and fighting games, are games I don't do on the PC since I don't have a controller and the keyboard and mouse, which is superior to a console in all other game types (IMHO) just doesn't work as well...

Thanks for the tips.

GloatingSwine
2014-12-24, 05:56 AM
PLatformers, and fighting games, are games I don't do on the PC since I don't have a controller and the keyboard and mouse, which is superior to a console in all other game types (IMHO) just doesn't work as well...

Thanks for the tips.

As long as "all other games" are confined to FPS and RTS, and games which control identically to those two, at least :P

Keyboard and mouse does certain things very well, but almost everything else really badly. Controllers do almost everything at least acceptably and certain things (RTS) very badly.

For the majority of games, even on a PC, it's better to plug a controller in.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-24, 08:10 AM
As long as "all other games" are confined to FPS and RTS, and games which control identically to those two, at least :P

Keyboard and mouse does certain things very well, but almost everything else really badly. Controllers do almost everything at least acceptably and certain things (RTS) very badly.

You forgot about 1000 genres there...

RPGs, Turn based games, adventure games... etc etc.

Knaight
2014-12-24, 12:41 PM

A lot of this is personal preference. I generally find TBS games (particularly those without a hard grid system) vastly easier with a keyboard and mouse, anything with extensive menus better with a keyboard and mouse, and anything involving a fair amount of aiming better with a keyboard and mouse. There are also some platformers clearly made for arrow keys that are better with a keyboard (e.g. Dustforce). FPS and RTS are two examples where it really stands out. Flight simulators also tend to have lots of buttons and work better with a keyboard and mouse, though a keyboard and joystick is better yet.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-24, 03:12 PM
Indeed, simulator games (flight / submarine etc) NEEDS a full keyboard.

Drascin
2014-12-24, 06:40 PM
A lot of this is personal preference. I generally find TBS games (particularly those without a hard grid system) vastly easier with a keyboard and mouse, anything with extensive menus better with a keyboard and mouse, and anything involving a fair amount of aiming better with a keyboard and mouse. There are also some platformers clearly made for arrow keys that are better with a keyboard (e.g. Dustforce). FPS and RTS are two examples where it really stands out. Flight simulators also tend to have lots of buttons and work better with a keyboard and mouse, though a keyboard and joystick is better yet.

Man, far as I'm concerned Dustforce was made for playing with a d-pad. Playing it with a keyboard just sounds painful.

Thankfully I have my Wii Classic Controllers, which have wonderful d-pads where my Xbox controller is absolutely ****ing terrible at d-padding!

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-25, 01:06 PM
Anyway, again... which platformer:
Donkey Kong, 3D World or Mario New U?

Knaight
2014-12-25, 01:27 PM
Man, far as I'm concerned Dustforce was made for playing with a d-pad. Playing it with a keyboard just sounds painful.

A d-pad also works pretty well for that game. It's just very much not made for an analog stick. At all.

Avilan the Grey
2014-12-25, 01:31 PM
Oh and what about older titles from 2013? Like Need For Speed?

BeerMug Paladin
2014-12-25, 02:43 PM
I'd recommend Donkey Kong if you're looking for something with a hefty challenge. The main game isn't too overwhelming, but the hard mode is ridiculous. One hit and you're done, plus no checkpoints.

New Mario U is pretty standard 2d platforming. Also, playing this one multiplayer tends to be versus even if you're not trying to fight each other, because people will move around unexpectedly and block each others' jumps and such.

Mario 3d World has slight differences among all the characters and encourages the players to sort of fight each other during the levels. Since there's more room to move around in, you tend not to get in the other players' way as much unless you try.

Both the Mario games are pretty solid. Go for whatever kind of platformer you'd rather have. But if you want something hard, go for DK.

banthesun
2014-12-26, 12:47 AM
A d-pad also works pretty well for that game. It's just very much not made for an analog stick. At all.

Just quickly, it is possible to play it with an analog stick. I got myself too used to playing with it to make switching much fun, but I've managed to SS everything except Yotta just by working hard on my precision. I wouldn't recomend analog to anyone though.

zilvar
2014-12-30, 01:08 PM
No mention of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

I am the sadface. All of the sadface.

Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii U is spectacular. One of my family has it and I am green with envy when we're doing local multiplayer. Almost envious enough to buy a Wii U just for that.

danzibr
2014-12-30, 08:10 PM
No mention of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

I am the sadface. All of the sadface.

Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii U is spectacular. One of my family has it and I am green with envy when we're doing local multiplayer. Almost envious enough to buy a Wii U just for that.
Ooookay. I have a question for you. I bought that game thinking it looked cool, then was totally underwhelmed by the combat system. Tried archery and a big sword. Seemed way too clunky. Only got a couple hours into it. Does it get better?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-30, 08:50 PM
Only got a couple hours into it. Does it get better?

Yes.

Unless what you're looking for is a Bayonetta/Devil May Cry/Metal Gear Rising fast-paced beat-em-up, in which case no.

There are a lot of weapons for a reason, and there's also a lot of moves which you'll really have to keep trying button combos to find. The combat doesn't ever evolve by your movesets - an Iron Katana has the same swings as a Thunder Saw, Kibamaru, or anything else under the "Long Sword" category. The movesets that evolve are your opponents, although it will take a while to learn all the subtleties of your weapon. But a Greatsword is very different from a Long Sword, or Sword & Shield, or Lance. Greatswords are honestly quite slow; you keep it sheathed a lot and run around and get one hit in occasionally until your quarry gets tired and lets you unleash a big flurry. Granted, that is kinda how the game works because this is a hunt, not a straight fight, but with Greatswords it's especially true. Ranged combat is... weirder. Never even bothered aside from testing out the bow and bowguns on weak island creatures. Hear it's not very good for solo play.

The first couple hours are the worst. "Go gather this" "Go gather that" "Go kill these weak herbivores" "Go kill these small predators". Your first big monster, the Great Jaggi, has the most boring moveset of all the monsters.

Of course, I've clocked in at 160 hours and I'm not even on G-rank quests yet, and have burned out on the game twice (still haven't gone back to it again). Still, that's worth my money even if I never do pick it up again.

zilvar
2014-12-31, 07:52 AM
Ooookay. I have a question for you. I bought that game thinking it looked cool, then was totally underwhelmed by the combat system. Tried archery and a big sword. Seemed way too clunky. Only got a couple hours into it. Does it get better?

That depends, really. Try different weapons. I cannot stand hammers or greatswords, but really enjoy long swords, dual blade, and sword and shield. Kinda 'meh' on lances and ranged weapons (to be fair...until I actually learned how to dodge, lances were the only things I could use worth a darn)

MH rewards experience and attention and preparedness more and better than any game I've played (ymmv, obviously). When you learn a monster's tells well enough that you dodge without really needing to think about it, or take down your first H- rank (as high as I've gotten), yeah, it's a great rewarding feeling.

But weapon defines playstyle and play experience. If you are good at anticipating and like getting in the big smashing hit, greatsword/hammer/horn might be the weapon for you. If you like to be quick and mobile and kill with papercuts, try dual swords or sword and shield. If you're somewhere in the middle, try longsword or switch axe.

For me, it got a lot better once I found the weapons I enjoyed. :)

Drascin
2014-12-31, 12:56 PM

Monster Hunter is its own breed of game, basically, which makes it hard to compare to anything else. I can tell you it's not a standard fast-paced action game, though, and so if what you want is to blow off some steam by comboing some suckers you should look elsewhere.

It's very slow and deliberate, and most of the time you will be outmatched against gigantic monsters that hit harder, faster, and better than you do. It's about being prepared, knowing your prey, predicting and baiting, and such. The first time you fight a monster you're probably going to get wrecked - and then a few missions later, after you learn its tells, the way this species shakes its head as a telltale sign before charging and how it always whips its tail twice in a tail slam and so on you'll suddenly find yourself taking down a monster that took you forty minutes the first time in ten.