PDA

View Full Version : Applying Grafts to... my Familiar!

atemu1234
2014-12-15, 08:32 AM
I have a player who wants to apply a Zombie Arm graft to his familiar. Unfortunately, that familiar is a raven. How would this work? What is the result? Is it dead? Is it still a familiar? Can it make an unarmed strike? Can it carry a platter of cheese?

Urpriest
2014-12-15, 03:41 PM
Depends. If your DM rules that arm grafts must replace existing arms then it won't work because a raven doesn't have arms. If your DM rules they are extra arms then you can stack as many as you want and go to town.

Inevitability
2014-12-15, 04:11 PM
Depends. If your DM rules that arm grafts must replace existing arms then it won't work because a raven doesn't have arms. If your DM rules they are extra arms then you can stack as many as you want and go to town.

And that day, the cento-wielder was born.

Milodiah
2014-12-15, 04:15 PM
I don't recall seeing anywhere that it must be a human arm, by the way...there are plenty of Small races, and even some Tiny races, that would have arms more suitable to a raven's body.

"Hey man, got any...fairy arms?"

"...is that some kind of drug?"

"No, I mean literal fairy arms. Arms chopped off a fairy."

"What? No! Why would you even want that!"

"To sew onto this bird. Duh."

Aaaah, adventurer logic.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-15, 06:11 PM
There aren't any rules against it afaik. The raven would still be alive and still a familiar. I'd say it can do whatever you normally use a hand for, in addition to the slam attack mentioned in the description.

You do open your game up to all kinds of silly shenanigans though. Like a raven with 20 zombie arms. I generelly tend to allow grafts only as replacements for that reason, but that's a houserule afaik. The only grafts that have such limitations by RAW are the new-style ones from Magic of Eberron.