PDA

View Full Version : Converting the throne

Fwiffo86
2014-12-15, 09:27 AM
So my wife has gotten the idea to convert Throne of Bloodstone for us to play. She has noticed that it is a very difficult and mean module. I of course explained how it was intentionally difficult as you were using 100th level characters by its initial edition.

She has asked for assistance. While I am helping where I can (she likes to figure things out herself) I thought I would consult the playground for any assistance you guys might offer.

Things I am looking for....

Recommendations on conversions (monsters/traps/etc)
Suggestions on how to approach the loot

She is already setting the game to 20th level with boons and etc. She could use any assistance you guys can think of or anything to keep an eye on that may be problematic.

As always, your wisdom is appreciated.

Gnaeus
2014-12-15, 09:37 AM
My biggest concern is that Throne has lots of giant groups and armies of enemies. Due to bounded accuracy, that is much more dangerous in 5th ed than in advanced. To a 100th level fighter with -10 AC, 1000 skeletons is a speed bump. For a 20th level fighter in 5e, that's lethal.

Fwiffo86
2014-12-15, 09:44 AM
My biggest concern is that Throne has lots of giant groups and armies of enemies. Due to bounded accuracy, that is much more dangerous in 5th ed than in advanced. To a 100th level fighter with -10 AC, 1000 skeletons is a speed bump. For a 20th level fighter in 5e, that's lethal.

Agreed. Suggested course of action is Siege warfare perhaps? Retool the encounter with stronger (but fewer) enemies?

ghost_warlock
2014-12-15, 10:02 AM
Why don't you just extrapolate from the system's math and make the adventure for 100th level 5e characters? :smalltongue:

Fwiffo86
2014-12-15, 10:12 AM
Why don't you just extrapolate from the system's math and make the adventure for 100th level 5e characters? :smalltongue:

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!!! and actually do work for an adventure I'm playing???

Actually, that option has been discussed. The wife is quite good at DMing, but she is still a "new" DM. So extrapolating math's seems like a good idea until you actually try it.

She and I like the boon system, but both realize that it isn't going to be enough against 100th level encounters. So things are being retooled. The armies of undead for example is a good example of an encounter that may not be easy to retool. We are trying to avoid extrapolating too 1ooth level, but I will run your option by her though.

Madfellow
2014-12-15, 11:10 AM
How many players are in the party? According to the encounter creation rules, for a party of four 20th-level characters, the most skeletons/zombies they can be expected to beat is around 250 or so.

Kornaki
2014-12-15, 11:30 AM
I think you would need to power down the skeletons immensely (certainly if they have 1hp, and hit for 1 damage on a natural 20 this would be a winnable encounter), or make some sort of horde rule. There aren't 1000 actual skeletons, there is a horde of skeletons that has 8000 hp and makes a couple of attacks each round. Powering down monsters is probably going to be hard to balance exactly correctly.

Fwiffo86
2014-12-15, 12:11 PM
How many players are in the party? According to the encounter creation rules, for a party of four 20th-level characters, the most skeletons/zombies they can be expected to beat is around 250 or so.

5 characters of 20th + boons level.

I think you would need to power down the skeletons immensely (certainly if they have 1hp, and hit for 1 damage on a natural 20 this would be a winnable encounter), or make some sort of horde rule. There aren't 1000 actual skeletons, there is a horde of skeletons that has 8000 hp and makes a couple of attacks each round. Powering down monsters is probably going to be hard to balance exactly correctly.

This horde rule sounds like a good idea to me. Way less math to handle than having 200 attacks / round.

Inevitability
2014-12-15, 01:13 PM
Maybe homebrew several Gargantuan swarms to use as groups of skeletons?

randomodo
2014-12-15, 03:29 PM
The Deathwatch RPG (Warhammer 40K RPG in which the characters are playing Space Marines) has rules for running hordes. Those rules could be perhaps used as inspiration and modified/shamelessly lifted to use in 5E.

Admittedly, your average 5E character isn't carrying a meltagun or a heavy bolter, but that's another story...

Madfellow
2014-12-15, 03:53 PM
5 characters of 20th + boons level.

In that case the number goes up to 300 or so.