PDA

View Full Version : Runestone's Finest

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 02:51 PM
@Archaidous: The gates shut behind you and you lookm at them, knowing that although they may open many times, you won't be leaving this place for quite some time.

Griswold walks with you towards the campus buildings.

"As you are already aware, Archaidous, many of our students have left Runestone, on account of being unable to pay tuition. However, there are still a large handful of students here that have managed to stay- either because tgheir families have the resources, or because many, like you, had a former adventuring background and have saved money."

You walk through an almost empty campus and stop at the stairs to a squat two story building flamked by gryphon statues and a small fountain with a sprite statue and a decanter of water held in its hands.

"Clementine Hall, the senior apartments. Students from different schools reside here. All are on their last year here at Runestone and we thought it would be best if you could share and exchange ideas with like minded individuals."

Griswold goes up the stairs and stops in front of a door as he knocks.

Who is it?

"It's Headmaster Griswold, Erik."

Oh sh**! Hold on!

You hear some hurried shuffling and glass ware as hrried footseps rush to the door and open.

This is a human. Late twenties. He wears a grey cloak and light leather armor benath it. His hair is unruly and hazel colored as he pants and stands at attention.

"Archaidous Mithmironel, meet Erik Pottsdorff, your new roommate."

Erik shakes your hand and smiles.

"What's up, man."

Griswold walks with you inside.

The room is spacious, with a door separating the room and a medium sized bed for you to rest, with a desk, a chair, and a starter's wlecome kit involving three unk vials and a set of tree non magical quills.

The room istelf is empty, having been recently cleaned.

Erik straightens his hair as Griswold looks around ans smells the air.

"Have you been… doing some alchemy, Erik?"

The young mage shrugs.

"Just some experiments, headmaster. Nothing too bad. Gotta get my thesis ready, you know?"

Griswold raiuses an eyebrow.

"...of course. Anyways, Archaidous- get settled in and decorate the room as you see fit. Whenever you have the time, make sure to meet the people we spoke about."

Griswold leaves and shuts the door behind him as Erik looks at you.

"You;re that guy, right? The one on the screen? From yesterday? Not many people were happy about it, I'll tell you that. Me? I'm not too concerned. less hassle in the droms, you know?"

Erik walks towards his door.

"What's that you do? Magic, obviously, but which kind? Blaster? Mind Muddler? Shapechanger?"

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 03:58 PM
Archadious follows Headmaster Griswold into the Academy and towards the Apartment halls. When he hears that he will be having a roommate he is slightly disappointed. The thought of sharing a living space with a young human less than a quarter his age and probably less actual magical experience than he was not an idea he was too fond of.

But if this was what the Headmasters thought was best, then who was he to argue with their decision. It was not as if he required that much sleep anyways.

He holds out his hand and shakes that of Erik.

A pleasure to meet you too Erik. And a Pottsdorff? Descendent of the famous Hero. I have read a bit about him...
You would not happen to be related to a certain Duke in a far off Duchy would you?

As for my particular area of magical expertise, well, I specialize in conjuration magic, although I tend to use a mixture of teleportation and blasting magic so I suppose in some ways I could consider myself a blaster...
And what about you?

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 04:19 PM
@Archaidous: Erik shakes your hand as he turns to the door leading to his room and sounds can be heard.

"…uh yeah. The famous Hero of Hommlet. Look, man- I'm just riding it out here. I'm probably one of the oldest seniors you'll find on campus, As to my uncle? Archibald? Ha! You know him? Haven't seen him since he was three hundred pounds light! He still lives? It's been over ten years since I went with father to visit him at the duchy. A funny man, from what I recall. Always had a girl by his side. Father said they were gold diggers… and I guess I'd have to agree: the man was old and bloated when I met him a decade ago. can't imagine what he looks like now."

Erik begins walking to his door and nods.

"A conjurer? awesome. I dabble with some conjuration myself- part of my thesis. Hold on, ok?"

Erik shuts the door to his room and you vcan swear you hear a female's voice mumbling as Erik's voice can be heard close to the door.

Hey, man! Mind turning around for a second? Yeah! Ok…go go go!

whether you turn around or not, Erik;'s door opens by an unseen force and a figure covered in a white blanket rushes towards the main door and shuts it behind her.

Erik blushes as he comes out to your room.

"Yeah… that…that never happened, ok? Gotta have some trust amongst roommates, right?"

Erik fidgets in his room and you can hear bottles being picked up as he walks to your room and lays on the bed, his back against the wall as he pours himself some cold wine and serves you a glass.

"To new friendships. We're seniors, we can drink. as to what I do? a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Call it a…Generalist. I'm just following General Studies. Cover the entire spectrum, you know. The whole Runestone Diversity experience, right?"

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 05:05 PM
Archadious raises an eyebrow as Erik heads into his room and returns with a bottle of wine but he does not say anything. Normally, he was not one to drink, but it seemed impolite to refuse this young wizard's offer, so the elf accepts.

Taking the glass in one the elf begins to sip at its contents.

As he drinks, he begins to think.

You mentioned a thesis. I do not believe that I am familiar with the usage of the term in an academic setting. What is a thesis and what is it that you are doing for it?

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 05:20 PM
@Archaidous: erik takes a sip of his wine and muses as he gestures towards the ceiling with his free hand.

"Never heard of a thesis? I heard you were some big shot wizard. Everyone at Runestone has to present a thesis in order to graduate. Some amazing, original new spell, item, innovative arcane milestone. ever heard of metamagics? Those were made by some academic wizard and developed in schools like Runestone, The product of hard intensive labor. hard intensive labor under candle light for.. oh, I don't know, a few years for me now? As to what my thesis will be? Well, that's a top secret. Can't have diviners istening in on us. I just need to read up on the specifics and then I'll have my thesis project ready and I'm out of this place."

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 05:36 PM
Archadious chuckles slightly at the mention of him being a big-shot wizard.

I do consider myself to be quite experience in the practical uses of magic, especially in the field, I have spent the last year and a half adventuring, but I would not so far as to refer to myself as a big-shot...

These theses though, they sound intriguing. I wonder if I shall have to do one.

So you think you will graduate soon? What do you think you might do once you leave? Stay in the Academy? Hamalthan? Travel to another city?

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 05:54 PM
@Archaidous: Erik takes a big sip from his glass.

"Big shot's the word. They say you even fought a lich! Pretty impressive. I did some adventuring myself. Took out a dragon- not too big. A white. Of course, I had help, but still... dragon, you know?"

Regarding the thesis, Erik gets up and heads for his room.

"Every student has to present one. Otherwise, you don't graduate. Of course, since some thesis are far more complex than others, time is flexible on the student. Hey- more money for the Academy, right? And you said you were a Conjurer? There is no conjuration headmaster, so chances are your thesis will be overseen by another headmaster... or headmistress."

Erik points at the glass.

"Just make sure it's clean when you're done drinking. Oh! I like to play loud music. Helps me focus. I hope you don't mind. Later."

As for the question on his future, Erik looks around.

"Not in this city, that's for sure."

And so, Erik Pottsdorff descendsnt of the famed Hero of Hommlet, lovks himself in his room, leaving you to your own devices.

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 10:14 PM
At Erik's mention of his fight with Isiflis, Archadious almost chokes on his wine. That was an experience he tried not to think often, but it seemed that by including that in his application, that little story had spread around the school.
But then when he hears that this man had defeated a dragon before, his respect for Erik as a fellow mage increases substantially.

A dragon! I must admit that is most impressive. It may have been a white, but it was still a dragon. Even I, in my year of adventuring have never actually succeeded in such a task. I came close once, but that ended in disaster...

He pauses for a moment before looking at his glass and continuing.

Anyways, well met Erik. I too have things to do. Griswold asked me to speak with each of the Headmasters.

Watching as Erik leaves, he downs the remaining wine in the glass.

Wait... loud music?

He asks, realizing what the other mage had just said, but by then, he was already gone.
Archaidous shakes his head. This would have to be resolved later. Then he stores the bottle back in a secure corner of the room.

Finally, ready to start exploring the Academy, the elf leaves the room and heads off in search of Headmaster Lindebrook.

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 10:33 PM
@Archaidous: Erik finishes his wine and gets up.

"I know dragons are supposed to be the most powerful creatures on Oerth and all that, but when you break it down, they are just big lizards with clumsy flying abilities and nasty breath. Of course, like I said, it was a white. And a young one, so it wasn't that difficult. Although in hindsight, we probably should have lured him out of his cave. Who'd know they can skate on ice so well?"

Erik pauses on his explanation.

"…I guess I had to live up to my ancestor's deeds. They said he killed a dragon…or fought one head on. I don't know. Tales are just that, tales…"

The young Pottsdorff nods and shuts his door as you leave your room and cross campus and head for the Tower of Magi.

It takes a few minutes as you ascend the stairs and stop in front of Headmistress Lindenbrook's room.

Before you can knock, the door opens and you see Merla seated on a pile of silk pillows with a round table and her hood covering the upper part of her face as she displays tarot cards on the table.

"Hello, Archaidous. Don't be alarmed- I have a constant clairvoyance spell on my door. I know who's walking in. I am, after all, Headmistress of Divination. Please, grab some pillows and sit across me.

Assuming you do, Merla begins arranging the cards on the table as she speaks to you, her gaze directed at the cards.

"So Itharr told you to come speak to us and I assume I am the first? An honor indeed. tell me, Archaidous- do you believe in fate? And if so, what is your idea about it?"

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 10:49 PM
Archadious acts as Master Lindenbrook bids, and grabs a pillow and takes a seat at the table.

Hmm, a constant clairvoyance spell...? I ought to remember that idea.

Greetings Headmaster Lindenbrook. Headmaster Griswold asked me to speak to each of the other Headmasters and I decided that since I had met you already, it would be easiest to visit you first.

He then listens to her question and thinks on it for a moment.

Fate you ask? I admit this not a subject I have thought much about. But now that I give it some thought... I do not believe in some pre-determined course of destiny for each of us, nor do I believe that the future is set out in stone.

I would like to think of the future as fluid, constantly changing based on the choices each of us make in our everyday lives.
Normally I think that every action that we may have has a consequence or result of some sort. Of course, with the right magic, even this can be altered to a slight degree.
In fact, have seen this sort of magic in use before.

Anyways, I suppose that was just what I could think of in a few minutes of thinking.

What about you? I imagine as the headmaster of divinations you must have examined the idea of fate in a great deal more detail.

AlanBruce
2014-12-15, 11:25 PM
@Archaidous: merla smiles benetah her hood.

"If you have traveled all over Oerth, chances are you have slept out in the wilderness or explored dungeons. A Clairvoyance spell helps tremendously. Few are the enemies that can bypass such a spell. But like any spell, and something you are certainly aware of, it depends on the power of the caster…"

Merla flips a card.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/_img/wizards-08947.jpg

"I see great power in your path, Archaidous. But be wary, Fate, as you have so well put it, is not set on stone. We, as arcanists can change subtle workings on the great tapestry of Destiny, but in the end, it is the decisions, the difficulkt ones, that eventually swerve the fickle river of fate. Whether this will end in a font of life or down a waterfall of jagged rocks… that falls upon you.

The halfling then flips another card.

http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/u4ew/images/thumb/0/0d/WarriorCard.jpg/160px-WarriorCard.jpg

"I see… there is a very difficult decision you will have to make in the future, Archaidous. The power that you may gain will bring forth grief more so than you have experienced so far. The question is- will you make that decision?"

Merla moves her hands over the two cards and these disappear as she produces another one.

http://theresalduncan.typepad.com/witostaircase/images/2007/07/08/emporer_napoleon.jpg

"One who wishes Absolute Power stands in your way, Archaidous… or will, at some point. Be wary of this person. Looking at this card and what it brings forth makes me fearful. If you are to face against this opponent, be ready- it may be the bloodiest fight you have ever faced, since it will not only test your body, but your very resolve."

Then, Merla flips another card.

http://amorgratistarot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/five_elements1.png

"You seem to be somehow linked to this card, but I do not know why. That is a veil my vision, for all my training cannot pierce. Will it damn you, or elevate you? Time will tell."

Finally, Merla flips the last card.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs6/PRE/i/2005/049/2/0/Devil_Tarot_Card_by_hexxxer.jpg

"This card again… ever since I met you, it has shown up in my readings. Something from your past? A feeling of guilt? One day, you will have to confront it…or not. Like we discussed earlier, we make the hard decisions at the right moment."

Merla collects the cards and looks at you.

"Maybe you do control your destiny, Archaidous Mithmironel, but there are others who will attempt to deny you iof that. Train, wizard. I had a dream a few nights ago. And in them, a group of warriors face against the unknown. Familiar faces, since they cry out your name. I wish I had good things to say, but the cards speak to me and I, through them. I think I have learned everything I need from you. Please, I must rest now."

Niwrad
2014-12-15, 11:49 PM
Visibly shaken by the results of Master Lindenbrook's card-reading, Archadious thanks the Headmaster of divinations and exits her office. As he walks down the hallways of the Tower of Magi, he considers the ominous readings.

The first one seemed obvious. His training at the Academy would hopefully increase his power and his abilities.

The second card was definitely more mysterious. Could his decision to train at the Academy have a negative consequence upon the lives of his friends and allies? And what was this difficult decision he would have to make...?

The three final cards, although foreboding, seemed to make more sense than the second.

She said that there was one who desired absolute power who stood in his way, it was pretty obvious (at least to him) that this must refer to the First. The mysterious man in black armor and soulless eyes. The one who seemed to ultimately be behind the mysterious Ward. It was clear that if he continued down the path he was on in opposing this man, then they would come into conflict.
Hopefully that was a long time from now.

The next card, the one with the six elements. That also seemed rather obvious. The card seemed to refer to the Six, Arrallae, Palindurias, Bandobras, Zyanya, and two others. It seemed his involvement in the matter had tied whatever fate he had to this strange plot.

But the final card, this was the one that frightened him most. A devil, one from his past, that he would someday have to confront again. It was clear to him that this referred to the evil pit fiend, the one that had slaughtered and destroyed his home. He had seen, or thought he had seen an erinye.
But that had been many months ago. This news though, that he would one day face this devil again frightened him to the core.

Archadious ponders the implications of these cards as he walks through the halls. Next, he decides to visit Headmaster Fyrune. They had at least spoken before outside of the meeting the previous evening, even if those conversations had not been on the best of terms...

AlanBruce
2014-12-16, 12:33 AM
@Archaidous: The door to Merla's room shuts behind you and you stand outside pondering on what the cards have shown you.

"So it is possible you may acquire tremendous power… but at a tremendous cost. What was it? To your self, or to those you know? Then there was the card of the person looking for absolute power… The First depicted in Steiner's Painting? If that card indeed referred to him, that would be the most terrible fight of them all, but hopefully, you would be ready to battle him when the time was right.

Then there's the elements- arrallae and the others, The Six. It would seem your chance meeting with the Brittle Star has already sent you down a spiral. And then there was Myriam's warning about them…

Yet the last card, the devil- if Merla was referring to Babu, the one who destroyed your master and has sworn vengeance upon you…. how to fight a devil your master could not best?

You ascend the white stairs and stop at a door made of trees and fruits, with the wooden door bearing the symbol of the crescent moon, atrributed to eshebala, demigoddess of Cunning and Wit.

You knock and hear Fyrune;s cheerful voice from within.

Come in!

Headmistress Dalast's room looks like a patch of the fey woods.

Trees have broken from their ceramic pots and their roots encircle the room in a spiral as luminescent fungi provide violet light as Fyrune walks amidst the roots and waters the many flower and plants that grow here.

Three paintings hang on the walls.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/049/6/f/The_temptation_of_the_nereid_by_Giacobino.jpg

Clementia, Daughter of the Wave

Another painting is covered by foliage.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/325/b/4/dryad_by_sketcheth-d6v4uay.jpg

Maraphas, Sister of the Wood

A final painting, smaller than the others, lies surrounded by roots.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131018093029/harrypotterfanon/images/2/26/Fey_1.jpg

Eldin, Warrior of The Thorn

Fyrune turns to look at you and stops flowering her plants as she brushes her silver hair.

"Oh! Archaidous! i was not expecting you… please! Do come in. I think there is a chair here somewhere."

Treading through the roots, you find a mushroom stool as Fyrune looks at the paintings and sighs as she takes a set on another.

"What brings you here?"

Niwrad
2014-12-16, 12:44 AM
Archadious bows in the Headmaster's direction as he enters the room.

Greetings Headmaster Fyrune. I hope I am not bothering you, but Master Griswold asked me to come and speak with each of the Headmasters.

He walks in but pauses for a moment at the three magnificent paintings.

I see you have quite the impressive collection of flora here in your office. They certainly provide an enjoyable alternative to the walls and stone of the Academy.

These paintings are also quite fascinating too. I have met and learned of many famous fey in recent years, but I cannot say that I have ever heard of these three. Clementia, Maraphus, and Eldin... Who are they?

AlanBruce
2014-12-16, 01:00 AM
@Archaidous: Fyrune takes out a fine tea set and serves you a cup.

"That is right! Master Griswold did tell me you would be visiting each of us. And no, you are not bothering me at all! I like to tend to my room, a small remembrance of what the outside world is like…"

Fyrune looks around her room, filled with nature and then ponts at the paintings.

"I am an aasimar, Archaidous. By heritage, I can trace my lineage to the upper planes, however, my… training, if you will, drove me to associate with more earthly beings. Those three were my very first friends.

Clementia, the sirine. warden of Nihara Rehm. I met her years ago and invited her to join me in Halmathan, where she resided in the great lake of Glenndale Park.

Maraphas, the dryad. Protector of the trees of Halmathan Park. It took me a few years to finally make her acquaintance…

And younf Eldin, the Thorn Warrior. stalwart protector of Maraphas and the pixies of the Park…"

Fyrune goes silent as she takes a sip from her cup.

"But they are all gone now. No fey can be found in that beautiful patch of land and with Connor prohibiting me from leaving Runestone, I gathered as many seeds as I could and used some druidic magic to make them grow just enough- would not want the roots breaking through the walls."

The aasimar sorceress sheds a single tear as she dries it up quickly.

'I'm sorry. i did not wish for you to look at me this way. It's just that… how could an entire family of fey just…vanish? I have lived amongst fey, way before I joined Runestone and they would have never left their home. It doesn't make sense."

Niwrad
2014-12-16, 02:00 AM
Archadious listens to Fyrune and is somewhat intrigued and distressed at the news of the disappearance of the fey in the park. What could have happened to all of them?

It seemed that there was yet another mystery in Hamalthan to get to the bottom of.

You are right, that is rather strange. I had heard that there were supposed to be fey in the Park, but in the several times I have been there I have not seen a single pixie or dryad.
Even with the recent events in the Park, I doubt that would be cause for all the fey who live there to abandon their homes.
There is something strange about this. If I had not just began my time here at Runestone I would investigate further on this matter.

How long ago did they fey disappear? Was it merely a recent occurrence? Or have they been gone for a lengthy period of time?

AlanBruce
2014-12-16, 08:45 AM
@Archaidous: Fyrune looks at the trees she has grown in her room.

"This is as close as I can get to that park, Archaidous. Before, I used to spend weeks in there, rapporting with the fey. That is how I got to be a Wild Soul…"

Upon your inqiriy about when the fey disappeared, Fyrune looks at the three paintings.

"About fifteen years ago, yes. The druids said that something was 'phasing them away'. Something clad in shadow and very big. But the stories were discredited. Not much evidence and divinations proved nothing. I rallied to send an expedition along with Lady Silvarel and the other druids, but by then, the Cutter mess had ended and the last thing we needed was more panic in the streets of Halmathan. So, I joined Runestone, hoping that my position as a Headmaster would one day give me enough clout to be able to send a group to find the missing fey…"

Fyrune finishes her tea.

"However, getting to this position was no easy task. Not for a sorceress. And then, Connor short of threatened me from leaving Runestone, due to my… vile magic. I always had knew that park had a special power hidden within. The fey knew it, but now, with them gone, who knows how long the park will last. Fey are the soul of Halmathan park, Archaidous! You take away the soul from someone and it's only a matter of time before the body rots…"

Fyrune gets up and takes several deep breaths as she turns her back to you.

"I am sorry, Archaidous. Old history. No need to dwell into that. My flowers need more tending. Thank you for stopping by."

Niwrad
2014-12-16, 12:05 PM
Archadious does some thinking on the strange disappearance of the fey.

So the fey in the Park have been gone for fifteen years? And no one in all that time has thought to investigate further into the matter? Fifteen years, is that not about the same time that Cutter's horrific work was discovered? I wonder if he might have had something to do with the missing fey.

Thank you for sharing this news with me Headmaster, I will see what my friends and I can find out about this mystery.
Yet another mysterious mystery in this strange city I suppose...

Seeing that Fyrune was done speaking with him for now, the elf bows and begins to leave.

Farewell Headmaster Fyrune.

Once back outside in the halls, the elf wonder which of the Headmasters to visit next. After thinking for a few seconds, he decides to head for the office of Master Roseveil, Headmaster of illusions.

AlanBruce
2014-12-16, 01:38 PM
2Archaidous: Fyrune looks at the paintings.

"Oh, there were attempts to find the fey, but these were small groups. The druids of the park took it upon themselves to investigate…"

Dalast keeps watering her flowers.

"…they never made it back. In time, the druids of Glenndale Park and Lady Silvarel along with her flock have tried to call them back to their home, but any spell or summoning fails completely. It's just like they…vanished. As if they were never there. As to they fey being tied to Cutter, yes, it may be so, but the time frame is a tad off, you see- Cutter was apprehended fifteen years ago. The fey were already disappearing during his attacks, but they kept vanishing after his exile."

On the matter of yet another mystery in Halmathan, Fyrune looks at you through her golden pupils.

"Nobody has cared to find the missing fey, except for the druids and, after such a long time, even they have lost hope. Connor's presence now placing a much bigger strain on them. You would set it upon yourself to find them? archaidous, that is very noble of you, but where druids who knew them have failed to return..what makes you think you can find them?"

You bid farewell to Fyrune Dalast and head up the tower and stop at a rectabgular portal made of shadows, without a doorknob.

That;s when a multitude of students leave cvarious doors and bumop into you on theiur way out of class as an elder teacher, definitely not a headmaster, looks at you.

"The Tower of Magi is closed for the night, child. The mess hall will be opened in five minutes."

Niwrad
2014-12-17, 12:42 AM
Archadious acknowledges the elderly teacher with a polite nod.

I apologize for the disturbance, but I merely wished to speak with Headmaster Roseveil. I do not think that it should take more than a few minutes.

He says, turning to examine the strange knobless rectangular shadow portal.

Then, he has a sudden thought and turns to the mage.

Actually, if you do not mind the inquiry, what is your name? I have seen the Headmasters but I do not believe that I am acquainted with any of the other staff here.

AlanBruce
2014-12-17, 06:30 AM
@Archaidpus: The students either run don the stairs or use flight to descend as the elderly teacher joiuns you on the way down.

"That's fine. You are a new face here, aren't you? I'm Master Halin, I teach Advanced Metaphysics. The Tower of Magi closes after sundown, since the students are required to get their full night's rest and work on their assignemnts to present to class. As for Headmaster Roseveil?"

Halin looks at her shadowy door.

"She is most likely not even there. The Headmaster of Illusion likes to take long walks through the Plane of Shadow. If you are to speak to her, you could show up earlier or send for her. I doubt she won't want to meet with you."

As you leave the tower with Halin, the teacher looks at the students flooding towards the mess hall.

"The eight Headmasters represent Runestone, yes. But they do not teach- not all of them. Many have spent years learning and teaching here and, once they have acquired the title of Headmaster, oversee that we, the teachers and our students practice the craft according to their guidebooks- be it in the field, like Master Caliss, or in a classroom like Master Falanae."

Halin then looks at you.

"You do have your student guide with you, I suppose? That's where your classes are. It should be in your room, along with the welcome kit we send out to every new mage."

Niwrad
2014-12-17, 05:07 PM
A student guide? Huh. I suppose I must have missed that when I first arrived at my room. Master Griswold asked me to speak to each of the Headmasters, but I did not imagine such a task would take most of the day...

Anyways, Master Halin, thank you and well met. My name is Archadious Mithmironel and am new to the Academy. I was admittedly given rather little instruction on what to do.

Perhaps I ought to return to my room to see if I can determine the location of my guide. I hope I have not missed anything important.

Farewell Master Halin.

Archadious turns and retraces his steps back to his room in Clementine Hall.

AlanBruce
2014-12-17, 06:55 PM
@Archaidous: Master Halin bows.

"I have heard of you, Archaidous. We expect to see a lot of impressive feats from such a skilled master of the conjuration arts. Have a good evening."

Back in your room in Clementine Hall, Erik can be heard chanting behind his locked door as you walk up to the desk and check the starter kit left by the Academy.

There is in fact, a list of your classes for the coming weeks.

8am. History of Magic, with esteemed Loremaster Beryllyn

10am. Applied Metamagics, with Headmaster Rebgast Callis

3pm. Advanced Transmutation, with Professor Gynor Tass

8pm. Anatomy and Necromancy, with Headmaster Alinda Falanae

Especial:

10pm. Introduction to the Scholia Arcana

Niwrad
2014-12-17, 08:37 PM
Archadious picks up the student guide and examines it, noting the classes he has been assigned with a mixture of delighted surprise and confusion.

History of magic, applied metamagics, and advanced transmutations. Those all sound like intriguing and useful subjects. Definitely areas that I could learn more.

But this other one, the class taught by headmaster Falanae...
I believe she is the Headmaster of Necromancy is she not? I wonder why the headmasters have decided to place me into a necromancy studies area. Oh well, the more knowledge I have of necromantic magic, the better equipped I will be to deal with it in the future.

He says, muttering to himself.

Then, he glances to the darkening sky outside.

Looks like I will be in my room for the evening. Perhaps I can spend some time scroll-scribing. I wonder how the others are doing...

The elf takes out his self-scribing quill and activates it, knowing that while he rested his mind during the evening, the quill would scribe more scrolls for him.

time to start the scroll scribing machine.

making a scroll of shield cl 10

AlanBruce
2014-12-17, 10:09 PM
@Archaidous: You sit down and review your schedule for your time in Runestone and then place your quill to work.

The night goes by mostly uneventful as an odd conversation can be heard from Erik's room, in muffled voices.

Perhaps someone teleported to his room or snuck in invisibly. Regardless, best not to bother him.

The next day, you head to the Tower of Magi as several students follow along, yawning, others absent mindedly reading their own heavy tomes as you end up in a large well lit class which looks like an amphitheater as several older students take their places and you pick one of the many desks as a gnome scholar with a tall runestaff walks in and looks at the imemnse blackboard as he gestures with his hand and the chalk begins to write down several notes in rapid succession.

The gnome clears his throat and addresses the large classroom.

"Good morning, seniors! Today we are to continue on the subject of the Dawn of Magic. Needless to say, this will be in the final examn, so I would strongly suggest you take notes."

Loremaster Beryllyn looks at his chalkboard as the writings spiral and form the six elements of power, similar to the one shown in Lidenbrook's card.

"Now, as well all know, Magic is supposed to have been created by The Uncaring Archmage. Anyone know what deity carries that name?"

Mary Skylarios raises her hand and fixes her hair.

'That would be Boccob, Loremaster."

The old gnome nods.

"Very well, Miss Skylarios. Magic is attributed to Boccob, but was he the one to actually bring the concept of magic into being as we know of it today? Anyone?"

The class remains silent as the loremaster raises an eyebrow.

"A common response. Not to worry- nobody to date has been able to speculate how magic came to being. Even amongst the various realms beyond the mortal plane. Some say that there was a tremendous clash…a meeting of tremendous powers at the dawn of Creation, when man was but a faint idea in the thoughts of young deities. This clash has many names. The Big bang. The Alpha Cataclyms…or even the Great Conjuction, but none of these theories have been proven true. What is known is that the discharge of magic that suffered in that period of time, if Time was even a concept may have taken eons. Civilizations come and gone in the blink of an eye, and yet… the flux of Time and Magic still happened, with the young races blissfully unaware."

One student raises his hand.

"so how do we know about it now?"

Beryllyn points at the student.

"We don't. Like I said, this is mere speculation, but it still will be in the final exam, so you better get the names down right."

After a few hours of more theories, a bell rings as the students get up and Beryllyn dismisses them.

"Don't forget! History of the First Schools of Magic- a treaty on Abjuration. I want those papers by next week!"

An informative class, but theory… now, where to go.

You ask around campus and the younger students point to the far end of campus where several explosions boom beyond a stone wall.

You peek behind the wall and are quick to hide back as a fireball blossoms against it.

"Cease fire, you morons! Who the hell walks into a firing range!"

That's Master rebgast Calli's voice, headmaster of Evocation.

Niwrad
2014-12-17, 10:29 PM
Archadious arrives at his first class with some curiosity. It had been a while since he had been in an actual class on magic, and he wondered how different this might be from the classes back at the Ironwood Tower.

He begins to listen intently to the elderly gnome, his quill hand constantly in motion, but when he hears the professor refer to the theory of the Great Conjunction, his mind goes on high alert and he lifts his head.

Thats when he also notices the six elements of power drawn on the blackboard.

A sudden thought enters his mind and he raises his hand.

This Cataclysm, if this was how magic first came to be, how do the six elements of power pertain to the discussion of this event?

And as the rest of the class goes by, the elf dutifully copies down every last word that Loremaster Berrylyn says.

Afterwards he heads to his second class, and narrowly avoiding the receiving end of a fireball spell, the elf cautiously peeks out once more from behind the other side of the wall.

My apologies Headmaster Callis. I did not quite realize that the explosions were being aimed at this wall in particular. I will take more care to avoid walking into the danger zone next time.

I am Archadious Mithmironel and according to my schedule, my next class is here with you, on the Applications of Metamagic...

AlanBruce
2014-12-17, 10:53 PM
@Archaidous: Mary Skylarios turns to look at you with a raised eyebrow as Loremaster Beryllyn looks at the blackboard.

"That is actually a very good question, mister…"

The gnome goes through his list and then back at you.

"…Mithmironel. Some sages and scholars of Planar History attribute the six Inner Planes- Water, Earth, Air, Fire, Positive, and Negative to be the source of all magic in the Multiverse. This hypothesis cannot be verified, of course. Many spells do not have an elemental spark attached to the formula, but it is true that beings of tremendous power exist in these realities and many harness arcane and divine magic that has yet to be verified or even archived in the Prime. So why referrence it? Well, because many spells that a wizard, sorcerer or any other caster learns in their lifetime has, at some point, required the assistance of these very elements, which some say are the building blocks of Reality. Of course, this is mere speculation. To be taken at face value."

Once out in the presence of headmaster callis, the Master of Evocation goes through his list.

"Ah, yes… you. Class, we have a conjurer here!"

A group of mages and warmages cross their hands and smile smugly as Rebgast points at distant dummies, evened out five hundred feet away and thirty feet apart each.

"Alright, kid- this is Applied Metamagics. I assume you know what metamagic is, otherwise, you wouldn't be in this class, so I shouldn't have to give you the 101. See those practice dummies? Shoot all three at the same time. Show me what you got."

Niwrad
2014-12-18, 12:24 AM
Archadious squints at the three targets far off in the distance. So Headmaster Callis had wanted him to strike all three targets? And all at the same time? He mentally goes over his options.

He knew he was capable of four primary blasting spells. The lesser orb spells, the blast of flame spell, regular orb spells, and the vitriolic sphere spell. The first two had not the range to strike the targets. But the last two spells had not the capability to strike all three at the same time. He did possess a rod of chain spell, but that effect could only be used with spells of lesser power.
But as the Headmaster had said, this was a class on metamagic effects, so the elf reflects on his own metamagic capabilities.

He could empower the spells, but that would do little to help in his situation here.

He could also attempt to sculpt his spells. A sculpted vitriolic sphere would certainly accomplish the task before him, but that was not a spell and metamagic combination he normally had memorized.

Archadious shrugs and gestures quickly with his hands and fires a small green glob.

Suddenly, a blast of bright emerald acid explodes around the central target, bathing the dummy in the corrosive substance.

the dummy takes [roll0] and [roll1] and [roll2] damage

Then he turns back to Headmaster Callis and lowers his head.

My apologies Headmaster, at this range, I lack the correct combination of spells and metamagic effects to strike all three targets.
Were we within one hundred feet of the targets, I would be able to use an item of mine to replicate the chain effect with a less powerful spell of mine.
Or if I were to be given a chance to prepare a new set of spells, I could apply a sculpted effect the spell I just used and alter the area to target all three dummies.

I can think of several other spell and metamagic combinations that would complete this task, but none of them are any options that I have the personal ability to replicate at this instance.

Archadious then awaits in silence for what he expects is Headmaster Callis's eventual criticism.

AlanBruce
2014-12-18, 01:51 AM
@Archaidous: Rebgast Callis watches you look at the three practice dummies far off in the distance and you contemplate how best to strike all of them.

Not having prepared the spell for the job, you dowse one of them in a vitriolic sphere as the dummy melts to the ground, oozing in a green puddle of acid.

The Headmaster of Evocation looks on in silence as his pupils look at you.

"The fact that you were able to strike a single opponent at such a distance is remarkable indeed. I was not expecting you to hit all three tragets at once, but I have now measured your range and have adequately calculated that Runestone may not have admitted just anyone."

The students mumble amongst themselves as headmaster Callis glares at them.

"However, one must question why spells like the one you have used belong to the school of Conjuration- clearly, your vitriolic sphere did damage, which is, as everybody knows, a damaging spell- in the realm of Evocation. any thoughts about that?"

The rest of the morning is spent with you and the other mages practicing metamagic spells on dummies placed at closer range.

Rebgast fires a barrage of magic missiles in quiock succession. More than you have ever seen, laced with the empowered metamagic power, yet striking the same dummy again and again and again.
He then addresses his pupils.

"The Twin Spell Metamagic feat, class. Perhaps one of the deadliest metamagic spells out there. Combined with the Chain Spell Metamagic, it can be devastating against an oppionennt that is ill prepared. be aware of that, and always carry upon yourself adequeate protection. I know few people who have survived such a combination… and they usually choose to retie from the pratice of the Arcane altogether."

Rebgast looks at you and nods with a stern face.

"I wanted to see what you can do and you have showed me. Class dismissed."

The rest of the day is spent in your room as Erik comes back from another class and peeks into his room and sighs.

"Whew! I thought it got away! How's classes going so far? Been thinking of your thesis already?"

The clock in the wall signals time for your next class, which is in the pen, much like with the evokers.

An elven mage with a black ponytail and glasses addresses a small group.

"Welcome to Advanced Transmutation, I am Professor Gynor Tass. Today, we are going to practice the casting of the haste spell. I know this is an advanced class, but bear with me- the Haste spell is a transmutation that will not only make you a far better combatant in the field, but also your allies. However, there are other uses for the haste spell. And in this case, this particular method requires extreme dedication to the exclusive casting of the haste spell, to the exclusion of all others, for as long as you adventure. The payoff is monumental. Allow me to show you…"

Professor Tass unsheathes an elven courtblade and asks for everyone to stay back a few paces behind him as he intones the arcane words of the Haste spell and his body begins to take the effects of a displacement spell as the wizard rushes towards a tree and in a split second, slices through the trunk as his displacement dissipates and he turns to look at all of you as he adjusts his glasses and the upper half of the tree slides vertically and drops on the ground with a loud thud and arustle of leaves.

"The swiftblade technique, students. A craft taught to me by Headmaster Cliffstone. You have witnessed only a fraction of the technique itself. It takes intense dedication. You may not be on par with other fellow archaists, but eventually, that will not matter- your speed and refflexes and immunities grated by the Haste spell will be such that not even a well placed divination or abjuration will be able to stop you once the technique is initiated. In the history of Oerth, only one is said to have fully mastered the art of the swift blade- the legendary Hero of Hommlet, Elsir Contanave."

One of the students raises her hand.

"Can anyone dedicate themselves to it…like now? And what about that student, Alexia Ashford? wasn't she a ransmuter herself? Did she attain swiftblade status?"

Professor Tass sheathes his court blade.

"It would take years to perfect the technique. It would mean that you'd have to adventure and spend months casting haste exclusively, which, although a very potent spell, leaves little room for other spells in the same vicinity such as fly or dispel magic. As for Late Lady Ashford, her studies of Transmutation did not revolve around the haste spell exclusively, but at form manipulation, similar to the Alter Self spell. Back on topic- Best to travel with a group that can provide extra support. and with that snippet of knowledge, class is dismissed. I want a treaty written on the use of the haste Spell by tomorrow, no less than twenty pages."

The hours go by as you check your next class… necromancy.

It is already dark when you head to the Tower of Magi and watch a group of black robed mages heading downstairs and look at a metal plaque above a stone arch.

Morgue

The place smlees of alchemical preservatives and it's quite cold, with a multitde of boduies carefully stashed in vertical receptacles and covered in white blankets.

The symbol of Wee Jas has been crafted in ruby above them and you can see that the desks for this class are behind a metal grate.

The young Castaferni girl, Alinda's star pupil sits close to the grate and you can feel her body itching with arcane power as her tattoos seem to glow.

then, the class goes silent as Alinda Falanae walks silently into the korgue as squeaky wheels follow her and a young mage wheels in a gurney with a body covered in a white cloth.

His arm dangles to the side as the young mage bows and quickly leaves.

the masked headmaster of Necromancy looks at all of you through her polished silver mask.

'Who here can tell me about zombies? Be as specific as possible."

Niwrad
2014-12-18, 11:16 AM
Once at the Morgue and standing before Headmaster Falanae and polished silver mask, Archadious stares at the corpse hidden under sheet and considers the necromancer's question to the class.

What was a zombie? The answer seemed rather simple, but perhaps she was expecting some further answer beyond the obvious.

I believe I can provide an answer to that Headmaster.

A zombie is the corpse of a deceased creature that has been animated through use of necromancy and negative energy.

However, the reanimation process only rouses the physical body of the corpse. Ordinarily, a zombie is mindless, and contains no recollection of former memories or any semblance of intelligence, unlike other forms of undead.

AlanBruce
2014-12-18, 12:22 PM
@Archaidous: The students, clad in black robes look at you as the Headmaster walks to the gurney and unveils the body.

This used to be a man, but his skin is reddened, particularly his head. The creature lies motionless, but it can be observed that one of his arms has been shackled to the gurney. The man's visage is feral, with feverish yellow eyes and a smoking head.

"Mister Mithmironel has given an accurate description of what a zombie is. Mister Mithmironel, however, is not a wizard versed in the arts of Necromancy…"

The other students look at you and mumble amongst themselves as Alinda Falanae looks at one of her students.

"This body was given to us by The City many years ago. A John Doe. I would like you to come down here and reanimate it through necromantic magic, as Mister Mithmironel had suggested…"

The young necromancer, in his late twenties, smiles and goes down the stairs and opens the gate, shutting it behund him as Alinda produces a black onyx and hands it to him.

"Why am I giving this young mage a black onyx?"

One of the students raises her hand.

"It's the material component that resonates with the negative energy needed for bodily reanimation, Headmistress!"

Alinda looks at the student on te stands and hands the onyx to the young necromancer with her as she takes a few steps back.

"Proceed."

The necromancer places the onyx on the body and pushes his hand against the corpse's forehead as he begins to into the aracne words of power…

That's when the corpse begins to fume at the head and nearly bites the wizard's hand off as the mage runs, clearly panicked, behind the protective grate and the zombie crushes the oinyx beneath his feet as he drags the gurney with him and attempts to claw and bite the grate as the students in the front row scream and climb further up.

Falinda Alanane looks at the undead horror as more and more steam spews from its head and then turns its gaze on the masked headmistress as it roars with a guttural unnatural cry as it drags the heavy gurney towards her.

Alinda Falanae remains in place as she looks at the students.

"What we have here, students, is not a zombie- not one that has yet to be classified by any formal academy. What we have here is one of the very last subjects retrieved when the Cutter disaster struck the City. As you can observe, it is quite capable of simulating death…"

The creature strikes at Alinda with the gurney, which is clearly his size, implying great strength.

The masked headmistress stops the gurney with her hand and does a simple moves as the beast roars and is brought to his knees.

As Alinda holds to the gurney that would've smashed her, she calmly addresses her students.

"It's strength and agility are a clear improvement over the 'standard' zombie, described by Mister Mithmironel. Unlike a reanimated corpse, the subject does not require an onyx to become active. It's animation is the product of something eklse entirely. Something decidely arcane, but as of yet unarchived in Runestone…"

The beast breaks his shackles and lunges at Alinda as this one directs her finger at it and a green ray springs forward, reducing the creature to crimson dust.

The students catch their breath as Alinda Falanae places the gurney back on the ground and kneels and picks a handful of the remains.

"So again, class- what is a zombie? Clearly, recent history has sjhown us that there is more than just one kind. Whatever infused Dr. Cutter's subject and turned him into… this, is still subject of great debate. So never approach a situation where the undead are involved believing that you have the upper hand. Class dismissed."

Niwrad
2014-12-18, 10:10 PM
Archadious is as taken-aback by the sudden reawakening of this strange undead horror, but he does not move from his position in the front row. Instead he stares at the abomination with a mixture of curiosity and revulsion.

He thought Cutter had dealt with creatures and horrors of the far realm, psuedonatural creatures. So then had he also been creating zombies just like any other necromancer?

Once the class has been dismissed, the elf walks out wondering what other horrors Cutter might have made, and what horrors he might be working on now that he was back.

Hopefully the others were doing alright.

Next, he looks back at his schedule and glances at his next event.

Introduction to the Scholia Arcana...

He muses. And yet, there seemed no instructor written next to the class title. Where was he supposed to head for this? Perhaps one of the headmasters might be able to provide further information.

AlanBruce
2014-12-18, 10:48 PM
@Archaidous: You watch Headmaster Falanae finish off this creature, wich yet defied logical explanation.

So Cutter had been experimenting with undead as well…and these were able to gain some semblance of intelligence, despite looking like shuffling zombies.

Had the headmistress not have intervened. had there not been a grate between it and the students, that creature alone would have porbably killed a few necromancers before being put down himself.

As you walk out of class, Alinda Falanae addresses you through her polished silver mask.

"This is what you and those with you may have to deal with. You are not a necromancer, but that does not mean that necromancy will not stand in your way…."

As the stars twinkle above, you wonder where to go for the Scholia Arcana class.

That's when Master Griswold places his hand on your shoulder as he surprises you in the dark.

"I don't think you will be attending classes for at least a week, Mister Mithmironel. Follow me."

Griswold leads the way back to the Tower of Magi and waits until every student has left the building as he walks to the Hall of Masters and stops in front of Archmage Valtalis' portrait.

"You wish to become a member of the the most prestigious Order of the Scholia Arcana, Mister Mithmironel. This isn't an easy path, I can assure you. You will see and experience things that may or may not be real. You will rapport with the heart of Runestone and in doing so, it will learn your secrets as well. We advise this to the very few who wish to pursue this path of the arcane."

Master Griswold chants a spell as Valtali's portrait disappears and a flight of stone steps leads you down as a dim blue light glows as you and the abjurer descend a spiral staircase.

"This is where the last stand against Alubastac took place. When the initial heads of Church and Grand Archmage Valtalis began the assault against him. As a result, the tiniest portion of that ancient beast resides at the bottom of Runestone, unbeknownst to the great majority…. and we'd like to keep it that way."

The stairs end in a gigantic blue pool that resonates with inmense arcane energy as murals depicting Valtalis and several clerics and holy warriors drive off a giant wyrm, shaped like a snake. The mural coils around the base of the room as the other heads of Magic await and Griswold points to a simple bench.

"You shall meditate, trance within the heart of Runestone, but for the trance to be effective… Inanana?"

In a flash of shadows, Headmaster Inana Roseveil appears by your side and slashes your hand, drawing blood.

"… the pool must know who you are. Now, Archaidous- step towards the center. let yourself go and trance. remember- whatever you see, it is only for you. we will leave a figment of ourselves here to make sure you are well taken care of during the week. Further exposure would kill you. The time spent in the Heart of Runestone must be controlled."

Niwrad
2014-12-19, 06:55 PM
Archadious follows Master Griswold, and once in the secret room below the Academy, the elf stares at the mystic pool and the surrounding murals with awe.

And when the Headmaster of Illusions appears and draws a sharp knife across his hand, Archadious grimaces from the sting. But he had suffered far worse before.

After listening to his instructions and staring at the shimmering blue pool, he turns back.

So I am to trance and meditate in this room for a week? Very well, I presume the instructors who's classes I attended today will be notified of my absence?

He takes a seat in front of the pool, closes his eyes, and begins to trance.

AlanBruce
2014-12-19, 07:56 PM
@Archaidous: Inana Roseveil places the dagger at the edge of the pool as a single drop of your elven blood creates ripples on the arcane repository.

Master Griswold motions to the pool.

"You must remain submerged within the pool, Archaidous. You will not drown. This may look like water, but is in fact arcane power in it purest form. It is sentient, and it will read your mind and you will read his. Again, be aware of what you see there may or may not be real. The Heart of Runestone is powerful, but is not all knowing. Any lingering memories you have may intertwine with his and form a completely new image. Take it at face value."

Griswold begins to ascend the stairs as you approach the spell pool and inquire regarding your classes.

"That will be taken care of. We knew your intent was to be a member of The Scholia Arcana. Not many know of this order and so, we had to institute a ruse. See you in a week."

You place your first step into Runestone's heart and immediately your hair stands on end at the immense surge of arcane power that fuses through your body as a deep voice speaks into your mind.

Step in, Archaidous Mithmironel… I am the Heart of this School. Ancient beyond these walls. Sink in and allow me to read your thoughts, that you may share mine.

You tread with care through the pool and find yourself sinking into the water but, just as Griswold explained, it isn't drowning you. No need for potions or spells or quick activations.

Ferrin once told you about places like this. tremendous repositories of arcane power, which only the most talented mages can access.

If only he were alive…

That's when images begin to swim around you. Whether they are aware of you or not, is impossible to tell.

One features Valtalis, pacing back and forth amongst faces you have never seen before. These men and women drift in and out through the nebulous arcane aether as they addres the Leader of the Ward.

What you are suggesting… how could we even agree to this beforehand, Naruil?

It is the only way, heads of church. This will ensure the city's safety!

This is not safe! What you have here is a weapon! We don't need another monster...

Then, the images swirl and dissipate as you watch a gigantic metal machine run through you and you shut your eyes, preparing for impact…

Yet none can be ascertained as you watch Tonel, now in a dwarf's body, Lysa, Ke'era, and that warrior, Kyrich.

They are fighting something. Something very dangerous. Lysa looks terrified, but the oppnennt is just a big shadow, with various tentacles.

Then, your sights shift to Alex and a shorter cloaked woman, bot standing side by side as a female's hand manifests beneath them, gigantic as both Alex and the cloaked woman look at you and their eyes glow crimson and shed tears of the same color as a maniacal woman's laughter fills the spell pool…

You wretch in agony- what is it that you're seeing? Is it true… or just a cruel illusion?

AlanBruce
2015-01-24, 11:46 PM
@Archaidous: It seems like an eternity within the Heart of Runestone…

All those visages-

Valtalis… he founded Runestone, but what exactly happened so long ago? Has his influence reached this city after five hundred years of exile? What were those people referring to?

Your friends… Where were they? They seem in trouble, wherever that machine may be taking them. And who are they fighting?

And then there's Alex… He seems to be alive, if the visions here are to be trusted. But why is he shedding tears? Who is that beside him?

Who holds both in their grasp.

You try and focus as your mind rapports with Runestone and the arcane pool stirs.

New knowledge has been opened to you within the Arcane Sanctum as your body reverberates with the power of the Scholia Arcana.

The waters stir and swirl around you as unmeasurable arcane power fuses with your own blood and then…

A claw.

A draconic claw gently carries you from the pool and you lazily open your eyes as a wyvern picks you up from the pool and drops you gently on the edge of the pool as the wyvern lands a few feet away and you see Master Ydalf Cliffstone transmute to his dwarven self as he crosses his arms and nods at you.

Seer Merla Lidenbrook stands in front of you, worry in her face.

"You have been in that pool for an entire week, Archaidous. The tower has suffered tremendous sparks of arcane energy since you entered. I do not know what it is you saw, but I believe I have an idea. Follow me."

You leave the secret sanctum as Ydalf folows behind and the Chamber of Masters shuts behind you.

Merla walks alongside you as the students go around their daily business, but you can tell they are a tad nervous.

"There was an explosion shortly after you began rapporting with the pool. Nobody knows how it came to be, but some sources say it took place in the outskirts of the city. Connor sent a garrison of soldiers here, believing that Runestone was somehow connected. It was a mess. Every single inquisitor in the city, inspecting each and every room, questioning everyone. Some of us had to hide in another plane altogether. We were fortunate they never found you or the Arcane Sanctum."

Merla stops in front of her room and draws a sigil on the door as several locks open and the door slides to the side.

"I have been attempting to divine more about our last meeting, Archaidous. The cards are fickle, but in the end, I came across something most disturbing."

Merla bids you to sit down and points at three cards spread on the table.

http://www.luatarot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Weekly-Tarot-Reading-30th-June-6th-July-2014.jpg

"These keep surfacing every time I have conducted a divination regarding you and those with you, Archaidous. I am not sure yet what all of them mean. Six powers… weapons? A queen? But of what? And then Death, always ending in death…."

Merla massages her temples.

"With Connor's inquisitors doing daily check ups at the school, it is becoming harder to focus. What i am most certain of, Archaidous, is that this has a deeper meaning. I believe you are needed elsewhere. As a member of Runestone, Archaidous, I urge you to help us. We teachers cannot leave now, but you can. You carry church clout, is it not? Father Jace, yes?"

Niwrad
2015-01-25, 04:52 PM
All the visions swirl around him as Archadious lies in the pool, flashing through his mind one after another. Vatalis, Alex, his other allies, were these visions representative of the present? Or perhaps the future? Was there anything he could do to help?

He tries calling out to them, or Alex, but to know avail. Who was this new individual everyone seemed to be struggling against?

Finally, when he sees the large claw, his first thought is that perhaps this was a vision of the infamous Linnorm, but he suddenly realizes that this claw is real. His minds eye widens in surprise as he tries to escape the claws reach, but to no avail.

Dragged by the large claw back into the waking world, Archadious takes a moment to once more become accustomed to the sights and sounds of the real world.

When he sees Headmaster Merla, he follows her and listens to her describe to him what has happened while he was asleep.

First he glances at the cards she shows him.

Again, the first card clearly seemed to refer to the Six. They had become a large part of his life, and would likely continue to do so. And the third card... well death seemed to follow him around everywhere he went. But the second card...

Second, he replies to Merla.

Arcane surges of energy and a large explosion in the city? You think the energy surges may have been connected to my visions in some way? I cannot imagine why though. I saw visions of the founders and their struggle against linnorm and I also caught glimpses of my friends in danger, although that last part doesn't surprise me. But I do not see why these may have trigged release of arcane energy.

As for the explosion, where in the outskirts? Was it in the Mercy? It must have been quite the explosion to have heard it all the way across the city.

Do you wish me to investigate the explosion...? Last I heard I was still a representative of the Pelorites, but I do not imagine anyone will be too eager to see me out there. Besides, do I not need to remain here and continue my training?

AlanBruce
2015-01-25, 05:16 PM
@Archaidous: Merla looks at the cards and then at you.

"The sudden arcane surges in the school did begin once you began meditating in the pool. We have had others go through the same training, but never was the school subject to it. It is almost as if you had some hidden power within you that rapported with the very foundations. We attempted to retrieve you from the pool- several times, in fact. However, a force I have never seen before kept you within. Strong conjuration magic…"

Merla Lidenbrook looks at you and raises an eyebrow.

"It wasn't dangerous… but I must ask- have you come in contact with any item of extraordinary power? Maybe during your past travels? Something that may have imprinted upon you?"

Regarding the explosion, the halfling diviner nods.

"We believe it came from an area close to The Mercy. The city was in panic. Many believed it was a terrorist attack. A sign of invasion. Connor has fanned the flames of fear and ignorance and placed doubt upon Runestone, since he argues that this was a 'wild mage experiment'. The inquisition has taken several of our students to St. Noria's already, despite Archmage Crowell's protests…"

The halfling looks behind you as a small shadow seeps in and Inana Roseveil walks through a portal and smiles at both.

"You know, Merla- if I'm caught outside Runestone again, Crowell won't like it one bit."

The halfling nods and removes the cards from the table.

"He's trying to hold down a revolt. I can understand that. Archaidous, Mistress Inana has offered to take you to the closest area possible from the explosion. We cannot conduct an investigation, since Connor has been keeping us busy with extensive interrogations, but you can. Your absence for a week has drawn attention away from you. As a member of Runestone, we urge you to investigate and clear our nme. The other students lack the power to do this, but you… you can."

Inana looks at you and winks.

"It shouldn't take long. I will take you to the clsest area and then I trust you can maneuver around?"

Niwrad
2015-01-25, 05:59 PM
Archadious is somewhat alarmed to hear that some mysterious magical force had been trying to keep him within the pool. This was unnerving.

I suppose I have come across several... I suppose you could call them artifacts, of extraordinary magical power in the recent months.
And in a way yes, some of them have left their mark on me, but I cannot imagine how that would cause these arcane surges or why that would keep me within the pool.

As for the strange explosion, it seems you do wish for me to investigate... I cannot say that the thought of heading back into the Mercy excites me, but if it is to help clear the name of the Academy from whatever happened, then I will gladly do so.

But before I go, there are two matters I would like to resolve first.

Approximately a week prior to entering the pool, I ordered a rune staff at the store here in the Academy. I would like to know if that has been completed, and if so, could I please be allowed to retrieve it.

Secondly, I will need a little time to prepare some spells.

The elf says, tapping his bag.

AlanBruce
2015-01-25, 06:28 PM
@Archaidous: Merla looks at Inana Roseveil as she disappears in a cloud of shadows.

"You may prepare here, Archaidous. I do not know what awaits you over there. We don't believe it is in the Mercy exactly, however. I attempted to divine where the explosion happened and it was in the outskirts of Halmathan. Close to The Mercy, but not quite. Some… uncharted area, if you will."

On the matter of artifacts and your involvement with them, Merla raises an eyebrow.

"Artifacts of power like that are very rare, Archaidous. If you have come across any, whatever powers they have may linger within you. Even today, here, with some of the finest scholars in the arcane, we are unable to decipher how some of these tremendous items of power work… and what side effects they may have. As I said earlier, the arcane surge was unexpected, but not hazardous. Almost protective, in a way."

You take out your spellbook and review some of your spells as Merla Lidenbrook paces aropund the room and then, a shadowy hand places a beautiful white staff with a golden wyrm coiled around it and biting a sphere of power at the tip.

The scales of the golden dragon have dozens of intricate runes upon them, which cast off arcane power that seems to rapport with your own being.

Inana Roseveil smiles smugly as she crosses her arms.

"Quite the staff you have there, Archaidous. And I will give you something else as well…"

The gnome mistress of illusions places a scroll beside your staff.

"The Shadow Walk spell. A staple amongst my students. Use it wisely if you wish to walk around the City unseen, or as a quick getaway."

Merla looks at both and then sits back on the table.

"Well, Archaidous, Runestone's reputation and future lies on your shoulders now. If you are ready…"

Inana chuckles.

"No pressure, right?"

Niwrad
2015-01-25, 06:50 PM
Archadious prepares his spells for this excursion, then accepts the staff and the scroll graciously.

He examines his staff and its new features with delight. This was better than he had hoped.

Thank you for the scroll Headmaster. I am certain it shall come in use.

Alright, I believe that I am ready to investigate this... uncharted area. Let us be off.

AlanBruce
2015-01-25, 07:12 PM
@Archaidous: With staff and scroll in hand, added to your arcane repertoire, exploring this incident shall be simple enough.

Merla starts placing cards on the table again as she looks at you.

"Whatever transpired there, is beyond my arcane capabilities to see beyond, Archaidous. Be careful of what you may find there."

Inana holds on to your hand as she opens a shadow portal.

"He'll be fine, Merla. Don't let go, Archaidous…"

You step into the portal with the gnome Headmistress and find yourself in a twisted version of Runestone.

The endless staircases seem to lead nowhere in particular. The walls lie fragmented and frozen in space as the gnome walks through them, sometimes even flying over them.

It is impossible not to notice the grey muted colors of this place, with only a semblance of light- enough to cast foreboding shadows.

"As an illusionist, one learns to commune with The Plane of Shadow, Archaidous. Many argue that this reality is a reflection of the Prime, where we live. Maybe they are right, there is much about planar travel that we have yet to research. This place, twisted as it is, is not devoid of life, unlike the Negative Energy Plane, which many are quick to associate. Life thrives here, but one made to mirror this shadow realm. If you find yourself traveling alone, be mindful of some of the denizens here. mainly the Shadar Kai. But they should not pose a problem now.."

It seems like hours go by as you leave the twisted reflection of the tower and cross a river, a bridge, and an orchard as Inana spreads shadow wings and carries you across a great chasm as buildings, clearly mirrors of Halmathan's architecture, loom in the shadowy horizon.

Then, a white portal seems to beckon in the distance as Inana smiles.

"That's your exit. Don't forget you have that scroll. Although as a conjurer, you should be able to teleport quiutre easily once you're back in the Prime. Good luck."

Inana flies back into the shadowy city as you step into the white portal…

The first thing that catches your attention is the gods awful smells.

You;'re in some sewer system. Where exactly? Impossible to tell, but the old abandoned tunnels drip wuth alchemical infusions. The sewage that runs around here is dark green and noxious. You can't help but notice hundreds of piles of old lab equipment clogging some of the sluice gates as rats scurry about.

This place is a maze, but where there ius a will, there is a way.

Niwrad
2015-01-25, 08:43 PM
Right before leaving the shadow plane, Archadious takes a moment to cast a series of enchantments and protections upon himself, ranging from the standard mage armor greater spell, to a new variation of a contingent spell.

15 days:
contingency - dimension step cl 15
Set to go off should Arch be caught flat-footed with a ray spell

15 hours:
elemental body (air) cl 15
heart of earth cl 15
heart of water cl 15

150 min:
alter self - troglodyte cl 15
see invisibility cl 15

30 min:
extended shield cl 15
extended reduce person cl 15
extended protection from evil cl 15

Then, once saying farewell to the Headmaster, Archadious takes a gulp and heads out into the unknown...

And immediately begins to hold back a wretch. The smell here was truly disgusting. Looking around, the elf takes in everything with a quick glance to make sure the immediate area did not hold any threats.

spot - [roll0]

listen - [roll1]

Then, he cautiously wades through the muck and takes a closer look at the laboratory equipment.

AlanBruce
2015-01-25, 09:56 PM
@Archaidous: You cast a multitude of spells on yourself, reducing your size and altering your shape to look like a Troglodyte.

But more importantly, you enchant your very senses so as to never be caught unawares.

Once Inana has left you in the sewers, you trudge through the noxious muck.

This water is utterly polluted. Whoever has been discarding alchemical waste into the water has made this one unfit for anyone to even drink or even come in contact…

Hopefully, the arcane residue has not had an effect on any sewer dwellers.

You walk towards a pile of discarded alchemical junk and use your staff to poke through it.

Broken vials, old lab equipment, gloves, boots, gas masks…

Then you check one of the almost intact vials.

A slimy substance covers it, but you can see it bears the Runestone seal upon it. This is school equipment.

Then, you turn your reptilian ears towards the tunnels.

Something is doing a clicking sound in the darkness further in through the tunnels. Something insectlike, if you had to guess.

You take a few steps and stop.

The sewer system splits into three tunnels. Each is big enough for an ogre, and you can see each tunnel has a raised rusted grate.

Niwrad
2015-01-25, 10:37 PM
Archadious, in his small lizard-man form, floats above the muck and stares at the three paths ahead of him.

Why did the Headmasters send me to this place...? I was under the impression they wished me to investigate a large explosion in the outskirts of the city, this place looks more like the sewers...

Not sure how to best explore all three passages at the same time, the elf quickly gestures and casts a complicated divination spell.

Suddenly, a series of small floating orbs appear around him.

He points to two of the passages, and orders the eyes to head down those tunnels.

creating [roll0] eyes

"Explore those two tunnels until you get 9/10ths mile away, then return. Split evenly if the passage diverges. Stay in the shadows.

He sends half the eyes down one tunnel, the other half down another, and finally he himself turns and begins to head down the third passage, making sure to stay close to the wall.

AlanBruce
2015-01-26, 04:51 AM
@Archaidous: You wonder why Inana Roseveil sent you to the sewers.

Sure, the sewer system in Halmathan must be huge, but there are no signs of an explosion here.

Not wanting to risk it, you call into existence over a dozen disembodied eyes, made or fine ceramic, which float eerily towards two of the tunnels as you decide to explore the remaining tunnel.

Hopefully, so many eyes in the other tunnels will shed some information.

It doesn't take long- less than half an hour- as you exit your own tunnel, smelling of alchemical properties in the water and then you stop mid air…

The tunnel ends in a large sewage waterfall that drops fifty feet in a large square pit.

At the bottom, you can see another tunnel, but that isn't all.

A large pipe above you opens autiomatiocally and a torrent of bodies drop on the pit below. In fact, you can see dozens of bodies- all humanoid. These do not move and the smell of rot reaches your nostrils.

Then, laying against the wall closer to you, you see the slain body of a soldier.

This man had his throat slit and he's holding a small ledger in his hands and a dagger by his side.

This mission was doomed from the very beginning. It was supposed to be a simple search and rescue operation, but I don't believe so now. A high official by the name of Hathway called a group of us from the local militia and tasked us with investigating the sewers deep into Mercy territory. The idea was to find the lost Olidammaran priest, Father Roland. We were geared to the teeth. Hell, we even had a priest come along with us for extra safety…

We lost two men from the get go. Something unseen dragged those poor bastards into the tunnels. Their cries for help still haunt me, but we decided to press on, if only to hunt whoever did this to them.

Within two days, our group was down to less than half. That's when we saw the Devil in Chains. I had heard tales in the Mercy about such a monster, but believed it to be folklore.

The priest ordered us to open fire against it. I shot probably ten arrows at the thing. They all hit. The others tossed alchemical fire and we rejoiced when the beast was dropped…

Then it got up again- not a single scratch!

We split up in the maze, exhausted and weary, our ammunition spent. That tging in chains. Those wailings. Chilled us all to the bone. The priest tried to exorcise it, but it did nothing to it. When I last turned to look at him, the monster had lifted the priest above its hideous head and I could hear his backbone break like a twig.

I have to escape.

I don't believe that Father Roland is down here. I believe we were sent here for another reason. I found what I think is a station. An old station, now left in ruins. I saw a fiery debris, but decided to turn back.

Now I'm alone, lost in the sewers. The creature's moanings echo through the tunnels, but I don't think it has found me.

Now, after seeing all those bodies… I can't end up like them. I won't die like the priest or my comrades.

I won't give them that pleasure.

Niwrad
2015-01-28, 12:59 AM
With a certain deal of curiosity, Archadious picks up the fallen soldier's writing, and quickly reads through. Then he looks up at the sewage waterfall and down towards the bodies below.

It seemed this Hathaway figure had a hand in the demise of this soldier and his comrades, but why would the man send them all the way into such a remote place such as this.

But what was perhaps more disturbing was his description of this devil in chains, the strange moaning monster that seemed to be highly resistant to physical injury. Was this thing still loose in these sewers somewhere?
Archadious feels a chill run down his spine, and he grips his staff even more tightly.
But what was this station the soldier had mentioned? Perhaps it would be worthwhile to seek out this station and it might provide more answers.

He looks back down at the fallen soldier. At the very least, he ought to pay his respects to the fallen guard and inform his superiors of his fate.

Looking through the soldiers belongings, the elf attempts to locate some object or personal trinket which might help another who was more familiar with this man identify him.

Once he finishes this, Archadious turns back to the large chamber and searches for an exit.

AlanBruce
2015-01-28, 02:57 AM
@Archaidous: You read the soldier's last days and look at him and his slit throat…

Whatever he must've been through down here in the sewers, must've been so horrifying for this young man, clearly in his early twenties, that he had resorted to suicide.

Then there is the issue of this Devil in Chains… if the soldier did not exaggerate, it seems like the beast took massive hits, but none were able to drop it. You have faced creatures with tough skin. Able to resist Alex's mighty scythe, even. And the druid is a demon in battle… so perhaps this dead man had never dealt with a moderate amount of damage reduction before… understandable. These men were probably used to apprehend common criminals…

However he did mention alchemist fire and the monster dropping… this might warrant more research.

And that name- Hathway. The soldier mentioned he was a high official in the City. Was he aware of this? You had been absent from the city for an entire week. Perhaps a new figure that had been promoted to power?

You check the sldier and find a simple dog tag around his neck, stained in his own blood.

The tag is made of steel and bears the soldier's name.

Danik Stern

56th Precinct

City of Halmathan

You snatch the tag from the dead soldier's neck when your attention goes to the human pit fifty feet below.

Something stirs amongst the bodies as a ghoulish creature claws its way out of the mass of dead bodies. Its head crimson and its claws long and wicked.

It wears little in regards to clothing, except for a dirty grey pair of pants, shredded and stained.

This creature… you saw one in Mistress Alinda's classroom. One of Cutter's supposed dead experiments.

The creatures growls and its guttural shirek echoes through the dank sewer tunnels as it runs through the tunnel below, arms spread wide.

Alinda Falanae was able to deal with one using a diisntegrate spell- a typical response against undead.

If the creature were stupid enough to find his way through the tunnels towards you.. it would be no different.

You descend towards the large charnel pit and look at the masses of bodies piled up against each other.

Some are skeletal remanins, crushed under the weight of freshly rotten bodies.

The expressions of these humanoids is of sheer pain and horror.

Whoever has been using them for experimentation- most likely Cutter- must've deemed them unfit and decided to let them loose in the sewer system.

The lone ghoul's screeches can be heard deeper down the tunnel. Thankfully, it cannot fly and you can.

It would be a matter of following it, although who knows where it is headed.

Niwrad
2015-01-28, 11:57 AM
After storing the fallen soldiers identification, Archadious is startled by the sudden sounds from below, and when he sees the strange zombie climb out of the pile and dash off into the tunnel, he recalls headmaster Alindas lesson.

If Cutters stramge zombie was here, then in was likely this sewer tunnel must have been used by him too. Had he something to do with the explosion?

Perhaps the zombie had heard something and gone to investigate. Archadious decides to silently follow the horror and see where it led him.

He glides down the the mass of corpses, resisting the urge to vomit as he does so, then follows the zombie down the tunnel, making sure to stay out of sight.

AlanBruce
2015-01-28, 02:33 PM
@Archaidous: You watch the zombie, with a red feverish head and wicked claws, race through the tunnel below, scraping the stone walls and emitting an unnatural growl amidst the dank darkness.

That's when less than half of your prying eyes return and encircle you as you get a better view of what they have seen.

One shows a group of the other prying eyes being crushed by an invisible force as watery footseps dash through the toxic waters.

Another one shows you an old rusted metal sign, covered in sludge.

Docking Station A-1

Another shows you a tunnel with a pair of dead guards face down on the water and a metal sign above them on the wall.

St. Noria Waste Passage 2-B

Another shows at a distance, a pair of prying eyes encircling a mass of strange flowers as the ceramic constructs dissolve into nothingness.

Finally, one of the prying eyes shows a lumbering shadow, stooped and frail, dragging chains as it walks around a corner and disappears.

With new information, you descend towards the pool with all the bodies and thankful you are for your many spells, as yet another of the ghouls stirs beneath the masses of bodies, but the sheer weight does not allow it to break free, as it sticks out a rotten claw in your direction and growls, but not much else.

Following the freed ghoul, you pursue through the tunnels and spot the ghoul several feet away under an arch, barely illuminated by the toxic light cast off from the water.

The ghoul turns to look at you and emits a bloddcurdling growl as it gets ready to charge towards you, when a mechanism above the arch comes down on it, a spiked grate, which impales the creature against the floor.

That's when a disembodied voice- a female's voice- comes in from the tunnels.

Who are you? State your name and business.

Niwrad
2015-01-28, 03:04 PM
Archadious takes note of the recordings the eye had brought back.

The docKing station the eye glimpsed must have been the station the guard had referred to in his note.

And the other passage, the one that led to the St. Norias prison waste system, might come in use later as a way to break into the place.

The other sights though, the strange flowers that appeared to have destroyed the eyes, what was this? Some sort of energy effect? Archadipus makes a note to be wary of such flowers in the future.

Finally, he sees the recording from the last eye and gulps, glad that he had not chosen to travel down that tunnel.

The elf continues down the sewers after the zombie, then when he hears the strange female voice, he is somewhat startled.
Shrugging, he decides to respond.

My name is Archadious. There was a recent explosion from this area that rocked the entire city and so I came to investigate.

Who might you be?

AlanBruce
2015-01-28, 04:12 PM
@Archaidous: You look around, trying to discern where the voice is.

It seems that whoever is speaking to you is using some spell to proyect her voice a fair distance.

The voice goes silent as you stipulate who you and why you are here.

Archaidous? Well met. Your garb would suggest an arcanist. If I were to hypothesize, a wizard. Yet why would a lone wizard be sent here to investigate an explosion? If my records are accurate, such an explosion took place seven days ago, and as to the reason for it, a malfunctioning facility. Flawed. Fit to be cleansed quickly. And so it was...

The voice goes silent as the grate rises and the ghoulish creature remains dead several feet away from you.

My name is Alexia Ashford, Archaidous. You are in one of my training facilities. I must wonder, though- why come here? Who sent you?

Niwrad
2015-01-28, 07:41 PM
So this strange voice was Alexia Ashford, Cutter's mysterious pupil who had disappeared so many years ago? But what was she doing here? And her training facility...?

Alexia! You are Cutter's missing student, the prodigy. I heard you disappeared over a decade ago, when Cutter turned rogue.
I am indeed an archaist. The explosion of the... facility has angered the Cuthbertine's ruling the city and they have proceeded to blame Runestone Academy. Due to not being directly affiliated with the school, my allies there asked me to come and investigate.

If I may, what facility was it? Cutter's? And what was the cause for the explosion?

Also, why do you have a series of sewer tunnels as a training facility? And training for what?

AlanBruce
2015-01-28, 09:48 PM
@Archaidous: More growls can be heard through the tunnel further ahead as you address Alexia and your intentions so far below the City.

I am indeed her, Archaidous. I see my absence has sparked much attention. I am Halmathan's finest, elf. But make no mistake: I never was Cutter's prodigy. That man was flawed. Ill designed. A beginner's mistake. He did go rogue, of that I am most aware, but I did not disappear, Archaidous, no. I remained, carefully studying my reemergence. A true researcher never ambles blindly...

You look around and maintain your flight, in case any more of those ghouls were to rush from the darkness in the tunnels as Alexia continues speaking to you.

Runestone has demonstrated interest? And you say the Cuthbertine church is now running the City? Halmathan is a Monarchy, not a Theocracy. How ironic that Crowell would sent someone to investigate this… you claim you have no affiliation with Runestone, Archaidous. If that is the case, why are you aiding them? Their time is at an end. It would be unwise to side with a crumbling tower. As for the explosion, that was the old Facility. The one used by Cutter. Like I mentioned before, a flawed design, and a fitting end.

On the matter of why she would have a training facility in the sewers, several grates can be heard beyond the tunnel opening as more growls can be hears, along with insectlike shrieks that echo through the dank stone walls.

This entire area has been a way to field test subjects. Both flawless and flawed. I have enabled access for you. If you desire to speak to me, continue forth and take the third tunnel to your left, followed by the rung ladder that will ascend out of the sewers. Then, we shall converse.

The growls and shrieks seem to be getting closer.

I would hurry if I were you...

Niwrad
2015-01-30, 02:37 AM
Wondering why Alexia would wish to remain in hiding while conducting her research, the elf also contemplates what she just said regarding the area and her test subjects. This unnerves him slightly, and not wishing to find out what these "creations" were, Archadious decides to continue forward.

He now had a vague answer for what had exploded and why it had exploded, but whatever information he had would certainly not be enough for Conner, or to clear the name of the Academy, so he might as well investigate further. And perhaps if he could meet with Alexia, he might be able to learn more.

Truthfully though, he was not entirely sure how trustworthy this missing mastermind was...

As he continues down the tunnel in the direction she specified, the elf replies.

Theoretically, Hamalthan is a monarchy, but the King has gone missing and in his absence, the leader of the Cuthbertine Church claims to have been given stewardship powers, and has taken control.

And he seems to have a strange hated of mages, so these past few months have been difficult for mages in the city as he does what he can to persecute and throw them into St. Noria's.

Archadious pauses for a moment when he hears the distant sound of shrieks and growls once more, then continues.

What sort of flawed... and flawless... "subjects" do you claim to have roaming around down here...?

AlanBruce
2015-01-30, 03:32 AM
@Archaidous: Alexia chucckles through her dismebodied voice, as the growls and screeches of unseen horros echo through the tunnels.

Halmathan will always be a monarchy, Archaidous- the only problem is that the crown is misplaced. But that ought to change soon. And you say Airdan is missing? Well, then. Time for a New order to be established, no? A barbarian's descendant is hardly fit to rule so many subjects.

Upon the revelation that the Cuthbertine church has taken control and of its leader's irrational hatred for mages, Alexia laughs.

Irony! Has the church of the Cudgel decided to raise the Inquisition against arcanists? If they only knew… As for St. Noria- a prison designed to keep low ranking mages at bay. That is not a place that threatens me in the least.

As you look into the tunnel and this one responds with growls and shrieks, Alexia's voice addresses you somberly.

You need to understand, Archaidous- as a learned practitioner of the arcane. There is perfection… and then there are flawed attempts at it. The power an arcanist wields is infinite, elf. However, only dilligent research and study can bring forth perfection. Flawless design. Obedience. If you choose to travel further into the sewers, you will find a mix of both- those that were hastily manufactured by Cutter, a stain long removed from Oerth- and those that have been designed by my hand. Granted, the base specimens were far from perfect, however, a genius mind was needed to sculpt these subjects into true exemplars worthy of a New Order. Do you not agree?

Niwrad
2015-01-31, 01:30 AM
A chill runs down his spine as he hears her mention her creations. The more Archadious listens to Alexia and her own creations, the more he becomes unnerved. If he did not know any better, it was almost as if Alexia considered herself a better version of Cutter...

He considers his reply carefully, it would be best to avoid angering this woman for now, especially while he was in the middle of her training area.

Traditionally I suppose the most intelligent and the wisest in the community were given the responsibility of rule. And I suppose if the "specimens" so desired and with the appropriate magic, a wiser mind could make faster, stronger, and smarter. Such is the power of the arcane. A brush with which we can alter reality to our whims.

The elf continues through the tunnels, hoping to reach an end soon. He was now curious, who was Alexia and what was she doing all this time? She did not seem outright hostile just yet.

He looks around at the tunnels again.

If these sewer tunnels are part of your facility, how did Cutter's creations end up infesting them? Speaking of the Doctor, you wouldn't happen to know why he suddenly reappeared in the city would you? Or where he is currently hiding?

AlanBruce
2015-01-31, 02:05 AM
@Archaidous: As you venture deeper into the tunnels, amidst the far away growls and insectoid screeches, Alexia responds, her voice always dismebodied.

An artistic approach towards magic- the metaphor of using a brush- is one best reserved for those who would claim magic as a gift. An innate reservoir of power that manifests uncontrolled, at dangerous levels of whimsy. No, Archaidous- Magic is to be approached through empirical research. Dilligent study. Those who claim ownership of Halmathan bow to their deities- the so called Heads of Church, but even they are lacking in vision. Soon, an absolute vision shall be instated in all of Halmathan. Order, Archaidous. Order at such a scale, so as to establish Unity, since ultimately, it breeds Power.

You then fly deeper into the tunnels and watch groups of those red headed ghouls engaged with invisible assailants, as a few of the ghouls are spat on with an acidic spray and many, with their cranium dissolved, drop on the toxic waters.

Cutter had an idea, Archaidous- the transmutation of the flesh, in order to achieve stronger specimens. I refined his approach, molding not only the body, but also the mind. The last remnants of his specimens have been brought here, so as to test my own. There is one, however… one whom you should be most careful of. A slow and flawed specimen which, surprinsingly enough, has yielded fortuitous research data over the years...

You fly over the fighting ghouls and can swear you hear the flutter of wings, not to different from that of a wasp, but much larger as they flit around and a barbed leg brushes against your small reptilian face.

That's when you get a good view of these as of yet unseen foes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vMTc17gzlhQ/Umg9BzX-j0I/AAAAAAAAAco/bHrzr-SY5UU/s1600/Novistador+Invisible.png

Whatever these creatures are, they are unlike anything you have seen before. As big as a man, but any smlarity with a human ends there, as its chitinous body deftly flies past you to engage the creatures below, with its mandibles dripping yellowinsg bile that smokes and trails off the scent of acid.

Further research will be necessary to asses what these creatures are.

Then, you turn around the corner, as Alexia instructed, and stop in mid flight as you see a rusted rung ladder leading up to a manhole.

This area has a growth- those flowers your Prying Eyes caught on earlier.

Immediately, you begin to feel a painful tingling within your body as the flowers move to face you from their rooted spots.

Niwrad
2015-02-01, 12:12 AM
Archadious notices the strange magic-seeking flowers that he had seen earlier through the prying eyes with alarm. He had seen these things do something to his prying eyes, but would they have a similar effect on him? Perhaps it would be wise to avoid rushing through this area.

He glances at the ladder leading the the next area, then calls out to Alexia regarding the flowers.

Alexia... What are these flowers? I have seen them before in other parts of this complex, but I saw that they seemed to destroy an earlier spell effect of mine so I stayed away.

They seem to have some sort of an effect on magic... What sort of effect? Will it be safe for me to cross through this area?

AlanBruce
2015-02-01, 01:49 AM
@Archaidous: The strange vegetative growth looks at you silently as you address Alexia regarding them.

They are an extension of my finest creation. A catalyst, Archaidous. The answer to Halmathan's problem. They feed on magic. Ironic, given where they were first found. If you are here alone, you should not be afraid of them. They are, to the untrained eye, only flowers...

The last ghoulish grol can be heard back in the tunnels as the insectoid screeches shrill through the stone walls of the sewers.

It would seem that Cutter's creations have already fallen… except for one. They will now seek to eliminate all possible threats. What will you do, Archaidous? the exit is just a few feet away...

Niwrad
2015-02-01, 02:04 AM
So these flowers feed off of magic... So thats what they did to my earlier spell, and you claim it should be safe for me to move through this area to the ladder? Very well.

Not wishing to experience a first-hand meeting with Alexia's creations, nor show any wavering of confidence, Archadious flies forward towards the ladder.

AlanBruce
2015-02-01, 03:53 AM
@Archaidous: You look at the strange flowers and notice that rather than having pistils, like any other flower, these have a minute piece of quartz embedded on them.

I have not claimed such a thing, Archaidous. If your mind is as steeled as a that of a true wizard, bypassing them should not be a problem...

You begin to ascend the rung ladder as the screeches of those…things begin to sound too close for comfort.

That's when the flowers looks at you and begin to emanate an eerie green glow as your body suffers tremendously.

These flowers… they are absorbing your magic. And in doing so, they are causing bodily harm.

Contingency removed. will save at -4 or lose the spell and take 19 damage

Niwrad
2015-02-01, 03:58 AM
Archadious climbs the ladder and looks down at the flowers when he hears the screeches, but the sight of Quartz in each flower rather than pistils like normal causes him to pause for a moment.

What was Quartz doing in a flower...?

But before he can ponder any further, he is beset by wracking pain. So these flowers were taking effect... Nevertheless, he grits his teeth and continues to head up.

Will save [roll0]

AlanBruce
2015-02-01, 05:59 AM
@Archaidous: You have experienced all manner of terrible powers during your travels.

Lightning, fire, raw arcane might…

Yet this effect is something completely different. Whatever Alexia has done to these seemingly harmless batch of sewer flowers, has a highly lethal effect on your arcane powers as the much valued Contingency is syphoned in the form of a purple haze and divinded amongst the many flowers…

It would seem that such a powerful spell, now bereft from your body, has swelled the number of alien flora, as a few buds grow forth and bloom, revealing that quartz fragment in the center.

As the insectoid horrors peek through the tunnel, you struggle with your small size to move the lid and fly upward, making sure to shut the lid behind you as one of the creatures sticks its long thin chitinous arm through a small open gap and you shut the metal lid down, causing the limb to be severed and douse the immediate area with acidic blood as you fly away, as to avoid any more pain.

Finding yourself in yet another long stone tunnel, now dry and safe to walk on, you tread carefully as old oval glass receptacles nailed to the tunnel walls cast off artifical light. This isn't fire, but some sort of alchemical reaction to simulate a Light spell.

The devices flicker, as the light threatens to malfunction at any time, leaving you in utter darkness…

That's when you stop and examine a wall, where the flickering lights make it very hard to discern what it is.

Then, you steel your eyes and pass your hand against the stone wall.

Something has been left here. A small makeshift camp. A tent, some broken and useless flint and steel…

These are Alex's belongings. He used this tent back in the wilderness on your way to Hammerbruk, when he would shelter Rosalind and teach her about the life of an adventurer.

The flint and steel are cold. Alex must've been here, but it was who knows how long ago. He certainly did not have time to pack this. There is something else here. A small ledger with his writings.

Hopefully, not his final thoughts.

My body is feeling unnaturaly well. Whatever happened to me in that mad house has had some…effect on me. My wounds have healed, even after fighting Cutter's prized creation. However, he is dead now. I cannot believe I was able to escape that place intact. Who knows how long I passed out after that exploison sent me against a wall, but my wounds… they seem to have healed on their own.

Although I should be lost in this place, something within me seems to guide me. But where? My strength is rapidly increasing and my head feels feverish, but other than that, I feel fine… and this scares me.

I have to rescue her, at any cost. That monster will be tried, but not in Connor's corrupt courts. This fiend deserves Justice served the old fashioned way…

If only the others were here. I can only hope they made it out of wherever that thing was.

Lisa has been missing as well. How could they do something like that? I need to reach Jace and the other church members. I need to find Archaidous, Lysa, Ke'era, and Tonel. I don't think I can deal with that devil alone.

I must push forward. I leave this here for those who have the gall to pursue me all the way to this godsforsaken place. Be wary, she is not to be underestimated.

There's something else in the camp, hidden under Alex's bedroll.

It's a ring. Of fine make. He never wore a ring like this, but if he left it here…

http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/25/6d/256db75e02a2c1dd94906afa9c96bc00/lapis-steel-by-design-stainless-steel-bold-north-south-gemstone-ring.jpg

Then, the lights flicker several times and they go out completely.

In the dark, unable to see, you hear the dragging of chains on stone and a hoarse bone chilling moan, not too far from you, followed by the sound of splashing water and something submerging several feet away from you.

Niwrad
2015-02-01, 05:19 PM
Archadious is shocked upon seeing Alex's note and camping supplies, of all the things he had been expecting about this place, finding a trace of Alex was one of the last things.

He picks up the note and reads though it quickly, his suspicion of Alexia increases further.

Noticing the strange ring, he pockets both in his bag and prepares to continue, and when the lights go out, he looks around once more, glad for his earlier spell.

But when he hears the strange moans and shuffling of yet another horror so close, a chill runs down his spine.

Archadious turns quickly to spot the source of the noise, but is unable to see anything.

A series of thoughts quickly race through his mind.

Hrmm, sounds like the Devil in Chains. I suppose it must be good at concealing itself.

Lingering nearby would probably not be best, if even Alex was hesitant to test himself against it, what chance do I have against it alone?

On the constant lookout, the elf continues to fly down the main part of the tunnel.

AlanBruce
2015-02-01, 06:22 PM
@Archaidous: You pocket the blue ring and read Alex's notes.

He is alive, at least you can hope he is. If that Devil in Chains had proven to be a formidable enemy for Alex, and he is known for his prodigious strength… even your combined arcane power may not be able to fell it.

Flying over a manhole on the ground filled with water, you round a corner in the sewers, looking at everything grey tones, thanks to your spells and stop a few feet away…

A new tunnel. And this one has a growth of those strange flowers lining the entire tunnel and beyond, as well as several skeletons wrapped in their tendrils. The flowers turn their gaze at you and you can see, through dark vision, that their quartz centers shine white amist the darkness.

You could probably fly past this vegetative gauntlet, but if it is any indication of what happened earlier, who knows if you'll be as lucky.

Niwrad
2015-02-02, 11:34 PM
Archadious stares at the tunnel full of the magic-draining flowers ahead of him and frowns. He was not particularly eager to experience the painful dispelling effect these plants seemed to be able to produce.

Alexia. About just how far does this growth extend down the hallway?

AlanBruce
2015-02-02, 11:44 PM
@Archaidous: You look at the growth riddled tunnel and then at the skeletal remains.

Whoever had attempted to pass this gauntlet had not been so lucky. Those flowers have the ability not only to steal your magic, but hurt you in the process…

And you have a lot of magic coursing through you.

Alexia's voice comes in again.

I see you have not abadoned your trek through my Testing facility, Archaidous. One would think that after a mild experience with a minor catalyst, you'd be deterred. I am certain you have the means to cast a well known conjuration and simply leave… However, if you are so eager to acquire knowledge, the offshoots of my finest creation extend several hundred feet. You can attempt to fly by them, but who knows if you'll make it to the end. As for now, I must close this channel. I have unexpected guests.

Niwrad
2015-02-02, 11:57 PM
Archadious considers his next course of action for a moment. He might get lucky and bypass this gauntlet of flowers, but chances of that were slim. He might be able to teleport several hundred feat and bypass the flowers entirely, but if the tunnel was not completely straight, that could be a problem.

Turning back in the direction he came, the elf thinks to the water-filled tunnel he had seen earlier. He did not look forward to swimming through sewer water, but it seemed a better prospect than flying through these flowers.

Making up his mind, he returns to the manhole back around the corner.

AlanBruce
2015-02-03, 12:17 AM
@Archaidous: Given your training as a conjurer, you could probably tarverse the field of alien flowers that have taken over this stretch of the sewers, but your dark sight only travels so far, and who knows if these growths have taken over a very large patch of these forgotten walkways…

With Alexia's voice gone, you retrace to the manhole where that creature jumped in and stand at the edge.

Big enough for a medium sized creature. The borders of this manhole are rusted and the water that laps silently at its borders gives off a pungent smell.

Alchemical traces whiff from the brackish water. Definitely not safe for human consumption, or at the very least, suitable for any life within- even aquatic.

Who knows how long this flooded waterway goes for… and what awaits within.

Niwrad
2015-02-03, 12:33 AM
Well, I suppose this cannot be much worse than the flower corridor...

Archadious says, muttering to himself.

Then, with one last gulp of real air, the elf dives into the sewer hole.

AlanBruce
2015-02-03, 01:09 AM
@Archaidous: You look yonder at the flower infested tunnels and then at the open manhole.

Alex is as much as a spellcaster as yourself. Who knows what he had to go through in this past week during your training, but he isn't stupid- he would've known the effects these flowers would have on his divine magic as well. If that note was recent, then there is no way those bones belonged to your old comrade.

He must've found another way to get out of here… but had he found the others already? It had been a week since you saw them…and no sign of them either.

You take a gulp of toxic sewer air and jump into the manhole.

The tunnel drops down into a large sunken chamber. This one is filled with detritus and chemical waste- mostly in the forms of man sized metal barrels which clutter the floor of this massive chamber- at a guess, a hundred feet tall.

Bodies float around in the water. All of them wear white rags- a uniform of some sort.

Up ahead, a pair of gigantic metal contraptions shaped like hourglasses have been affixed from ceiling to floor. These have wicked blades that have collected muck over who knows how many years…

That's when a tug is felt at your robes and one of the seemingly dead bodies animates and tries to claw at you, its crimson eyes fixed on you and its head so feberish, so as to cause scalding water to bubble from his rotte ears.

As soon as you are about to shove the swimming straggler away, you feel a tremendous pressure and a whirring sound.

Those bladed towers have become active… and their rotation causes a vortex as the poor sod is sucked into the center of both and immediately minced, followed by several more bodies, which causes the water to fill with blood, obscuring your vision as to what may lie beyond.

That's when a programmed male voice can be heard around the flooded chamber.

Waste Cleansing Procedure initiated. Please wait until the waste disposal unit is done with the cycling process. Thank you.

The currents caused by these two deadly underwater blades could rip you to shreds. and with the huge amount of blood in the water, seeing past them is now impossible…

That's when a blinking light catches your eye below, next to one of the bladed mechanisms.

What could it be?

Niwrad
2015-02-03, 06:48 PM
Archadious almost gasps in alarm when he sees the blades activate. This could get messy.

Taking care to avoid being swept closer to the blades, the elf attempts to swim closer to the strange flashing light.

AlanBruce
2015-02-03, 08:36 PM
@Archaidous: Those blades may have been here inactive for who knows how long, but they are still deadthly sharp, as they mince those floating ghouls in a matter of seconds.

Looking at the strange blinking red light below, too close to one of the bladed metal towers, you descend to investigate.

It looks like a metallic panel, nailed to the side of the stone wall. The blades swoosh past it by bare inches, but the sheer strength caused by the spinning blades has created a current and, like the unlucky ghoul that goit sucked in, it seeks to do the same to you.

Roll a reflex

Niwrad
2015-02-10, 12:41 AM
With a bubbly cry, Archadious feels as the powerful blades begin to suck him towards what seems to be extreme pain.
With a reflex movement, the robed elf attempts to grab the panel in front of him, wanting a little more time to see if there was a way of shutting the terrifying blades off.

very sad without conviction...

reflex [roll0]

Arch will attempt to jaunt through the blades to the other side and hopefully avoid damage

AlanBruce
2015-02-10, 12:44 AM
@Archaidous: You watch the vortex of water created by the blades spin and drag you towards them.

A messy end, for sure.

Resisting the currents, you hold on to the underwater rusted metal panel, with the blinking lights, ducking to avoid the very sharp blades.

Two buttons are here, and whatever label is on them is long gone, due to rust.

Niwrad
2015-02-10, 12:47 AM
Archadious holds on to the panel for dear life. And when the initial rush dies down, he takes a closer look at the panel.

Seeing two buttons, he pauses for a moment, not sure which one might help, or if the other might hurt.

When in doubt, hit the right button I guess.

He mutters to himself through the murky sewer water.

With his left hand carefully holding onto the panel, he slams his right hand on the right button.

AlanBruce
2015-02-10, 12:55 AM
@Archaidous: You look at the spinning blades. Judging by their sheer length, even jaunting wouldn't get you past the other side.

You push the red button and an old recording can be heard through the cistern.

Water Draininage Commencing…Please Stand By….

You hold to that rusted metal panel for dear life as large manholes with greats open, expelling a large amount of bubbles as the water level lowers within minutes, leaving you drenched amidst a fetid pool filled with man sized canisters…and still spinning blades.

That's when roars can be heard from the many canisters as clawed reddish hands break through them and those ghoulish things begin to awaken.

Niwrad
2015-02-10, 01:01 AM
Hmm, perhaps the other button might shut down the blades...

Archadious thinks as he watches the results of his button-pressing.

Then, he begins to get up and explore the room further when he hears the sounds of growls from the canisters.
Alarmed, he looks back at the twin set of buttons. If he went into the air now to avoid the horrors, he might not get a chance to see what this button did.

The elf presses the button on the left, pauses a moment to observe the effect, then he launches himself back into the air, hopefully out of reach of the monsters.

AlanBruce
2015-02-10, 01:05 AM
@Archaidous: You watch the ghouls ripping the metal canisters apart.

Someone actually… packaged these things.

You press the other button and shoot straight up as the blades begin slowing down as the several dozen of the creatures rush towards you, some getting minced by the still revolving blades.

Beyond them, once they have stopped, you can see a ladder, rusted and covered in muck, and two ways into the sewers, left and right.

Niwrad
2015-02-10, 01:10 AM
Archadious stares at the two passages ahead of him and wonders which to take.

He considers asking Alexia, but holds off on doing so for now.

When in doubt, pick the right one...

The elf says quietly to himself. Then, he flies down the sewer tunnel to the right.

AlanBruce
2015-02-10, 01:30 AM
@Archaidous: You know those things will eventually chase you through the tunnels, but you have the advantage of flight…and you can teleport, so avoiding them should be very easy.

The growls of the crimson headed ghouls can be heard far behind as you explore the right tunnel and this one descends a long flight of stairs.

These stairs have candles all over them, still lit. The wax dripping over the stone steps as you see markings on the walls.

These look like lashings, done by some whip. Strong enough to leave a dent on stone.

Then, you stop at a barred metal door, with more of those candles places haphazardly around the base.

AlanBruce
2015-03-02, 11:45 PM
@Archaidous: You leave Corwin and Silvia behind and enter once more the Chamber of Masters as Griswold unlocks the secret door and leads you downstairs to the Heart of Runestone.

"We are grateful for your investigation, Archaidous. You have my condolensces for your friend. May Rao guide him."

You then stand once more in front of the large pool of pure arcane power.

Griswold looks at you and crosses his arms.

"We sensed a great power emanating from you last time. We will try to monitor it, attempt for it not to escape this room. This time, your training will go uninterrupted. Please proceed. Your blood is already swirling within."

You take a deep breath and once more step into the Heart of Runestone as you adopt a fetal position and the arcane waters switl around you.

You are back, Archaidous… let us share what we know.

You take a gout of deep breath and open your eyes as the waters swirl around you and you find yourself looking at Halmathan, but not the city that you know now…

Vast plains and fortified structures dot the landscape as hordes of barbarians, mages, prists and warriors alike march against a horde ten times its size.

The opposing horde is made of beasts, covered in shadow. Many fly above the blue skies and others snarl and roar at the army as this one heads on their death march.

Then, from amidst the army bathed in light, you see a young elf, much like yourself, rise into the skies and begin to rain fire upon the army as others follow suit and divide the shadowy armies in green and white fog.

One of them turns to the young elven mage.

Well done, Naruil! You are learning frather fast! Let's give our troops a fighting chance!

Naruil nods and looks at the armies below him as the haste spell is cast on several.

We will battle this menace…that I swear!

Niwrad
2015-03-02, 11:57 PM
Back in the strange magical vision in the depths of the Academy, Archadious intently watches the scenes taking place before him.

He expects to see Hamalthan, but when he sees instead the mass of warriors and mages facing off against the army of shadow-shrouded horrors instead of the sprawling mass of buildings and urban settlements, he realizes that this must have been the ancient battle, the one that took place so many years ago. The one where the ancient horror Alubastac had faced off against...

Thats when he sees the young elf.

The elf looks vaguely familiar, and Archadious continues to observe the elf's efforts to contribute to the battle. Inwardly, he evens begin to cheer for the young elf, thinking this ancient one to be quite similar to himself.

But then he hears the name.... Naruil.

And he thinks back, back to the tome he had read in the Hamalthan library regarding the history of Hamalthan and it's founders. Naruil... Vatalis Naruil...

With a realization that sends slight shivers down his spine, Archadious realizes that he is watching a young Vatalis.

He continues to watch, wondering what the young Vatalis would do next.

AlanBruce
2015-03-03, 12:22 AM
@Archaidous: You watch this blurry battle and cnclude that this must've been the Age of Alubastac the Mighty. You had read that his forces were legion, and it becomes quite clear, as the warriors engage the beast, who tower above them twice fold and more with courage rarely seen.

Then, there's that elven mage, Naruil. His robes look like that of an apprentice- white with a grey lining. His hair is shorter, like yours, and his staff has a single rune upon it that glows white.

There is no mistaking this elf…this is Valtalis, leader of the Ward.

The young Naruil flies over his comrades as he looks at a group of other mages who trail behind him.

Nara, Gilthon! Take the right flank. Asindale, Charn! You take the left!

And what about you, Naruil?

The young elven mage smiles as he flaps his robe aside and reveals a blade.

I have my target dead on...

As the other four mages bombard the bigger threats with lightning, ice, and fire, Naruil flies over the dark horde and lands behind enemy lines, as he tosses a single squid tentacle past his back with a smug smile and several beasts roar as the gournd holds them tight.

A pair of gigantic trolls covered in scales breath gouts of fire as a Naruil lands a few feet away from them and adopts a fighting stance as the collosal brutes smile and roar as they lunge towards the elven mage…

Naruil smiles and shuts his eyes as he vanishes as both trolls strike the ground, leaving a tremendous crater.

The young elf reappear ten feet behind them and sheathes his blade.

Easily fooled...

The trolls look at each other and then you see that each has a parchment of paper on their backs as Naruil snaps his fingers and both mosnters explode as their body parts rain behin him.

Naruil then stands looking at a much smaller figure, clad in shadow.

You are the one they call Master Zenobius, no? You are turning this army back now...

The small shadowy figure steps forth and you can see it is a kobold, covered in runes all over as he holds a much more powerful staff in his orange claws.

You disguise yourself as an apprentice elf, but your abilities denote that much more. Why not join Alubastac's army? You will be aptly rewarded...

Naruil looks at the creature and rubs his chin as the battle rages behind him.

Then, in a flash, he flies towards the kobold.

The day I consort with demons….

That's when the image swirls and shows you and the others in Alexia's Foyer, as you feel that black blade run through you with impressive speed.

You also notice something that you may have not during the fight as you raised a wall to save Corwin…

Amidst the magic draining flowers… a mural.

You squint your eyes and it shows a family of three…

A nobleman with short black hair and a beard, Sir Alexander Ashford… there seems to be a round indentation where his ear ought to be.

The other figure is a young man, like the one seen in the gallery- Alfred. he wears a red military uniform and stands at attention with hands crossed in front of him at waist level.

A round indentation can be seen on his finger.

Then, there is the central figure- a young blonde girl with a velet dress and white satin gloves.

she is seated, flanked by both man and boy.

a round indentation appears around her neck.

Then, the visions go dark as the heart of Runestone speaks to you.

We will share our memories, Archaidous…but for now, allow me to suffuse you with ultimate knowledge.

What happens in the following days can be described as agonizing, to say the least.

AlanBruce
2015-03-05, 01:39 PM
@Archaidous: Who knows how many days or weeks go by…

The influx of power you have received is amazing. Unlike anything you have felt before. The Heart of Runestone shares many secrets and you share them whith him. It is clearly a sentient creature, but is its picky- it chooses to show you what it wants, but in parts, blurring out your mind as the arcane surges swell within your body.

Your mind is once again reawakened as you see Valtalis, his hair longer and his robes crimson as he lays against a tree with a fellow human wizard, a female.

That one you recognize, from the battle shown earlier.

The woman lays next to Valtalis as she reads a book.

So, we haven't had any news on Alubastac's forces coming. I think we drove them off...

Valtais looks at her and smiles.

If only it were that simple, Asindale. The monster will regroup. His losses have been many and it is immortal. I have been thinking...

Asindale looks at the elf with a arised eyebrow.

Well, don't keep me in suspense…tell me.

Valtalis gets up and looks at the tree that provides both shade.

This place is growing, Asindale. It's growing fast. what used to be loose tribes have come together as a large encampment, later a fort, then several forts. Now I believe we are becoming a city. And with so many wizards around, we need to keep the city safe...

Asindale keeps laying down as she closes her book.

What are you suggesting, Naruil? Some fortress for wizards?

No…not a fortress. Something that exemplifies the power of magic. A tower. A tower open to all that will allow mages, young and old to gather, converge, and create. We have our people safe, but disbanded. With a tower, we can keep the mages in one place, ready for action, should Alubastac decide to rear its head again… going to fast? I'm sorry.

Asindale pats the grass as Valtalis sits back down and the human wizard kisses him on the cheek.

You worry to much. You do care for this city, don't you? You are one of the most powerful wizards I have ever known, Naruil. I do not doubt the others will object to the idea, but what should we call it?

Valtalis looks at Asindale and kisses her back.

I care for this place as much as I care for you. No. That's a lie. I care for you a lot more, but for that to happen, we need to unify this place. A name will come to mind. One that is remembered for ages. you'll see...

Asindale lays against Valtalis and smiles.

You know you can always count on me, Naruil...

And then the swirls become darkness again.

Niwrad
2015-03-07, 01:14 AM
Archadious watches the next vision of Vatlais with an air of almost disbelief. If what the magic of Runestone's heart was showing him was true, even the evil leader of the Ward had once been caring and compassionate.

This Asindale, it seemed that her and the elf were quite in love.

The Vatalis he was seeing here appeared to be a completely different elf than the one he had met on multiple previous occasions. In this vision, he seemed less of the cold-hearted leader of a organization of assassins, and more like an actual elf...

But what had caused such a drastic change in this one? Was this the beginning of his path to darkness?

As the vision continues and Archadious observes Vatalis describe his plan for what seemed like the basic version of the Runestone Academy, he revels in the arcane surges of power.

He waits to see what the magic will show him next, hoping to learn more about Vatalis, his role in Runestone's foundation, and what had happened so many centuries ago.

AlanBruce
2015-03-07, 01:59 AM
@Archaidous: Who knows how long it takes within Runestone;s Heart as the mystic energies suffuse your being, but the source of Power of Runestone speaks to yiou after many days.

I have shared your conscience, Archaidous. You carry within a power greater than that of Runestone… but what is it, exactly? I sensed something ancient. Something… hidden. Very dangerous. Tell me, elf… what power resides within you? For I have had many wizards sleep in my fold and none have demonstrated this spark before. A light even I cannot explain...

Days go by…

And then, another vision.

This one shows Valtalis, with his hair longer. Asindale has aged by a few years, but the elf has not, as is to be expected as both watch the foundations of Runestone as clergy, wizards, and laborers work to hold the gigantic walls and piece them together.

Asindale looks at him and holds his hand.

I like the name…Runestone. It fits.

Valtalis blushes.

You came up with the name. You get the credit. This will be a learning place unlike any on berth, that i promise you. Sfter we are both long gone, this tower shall stand proud.

Asindale chuckles.

I will leave before you, Naruil! I am human, you are an elf. You know you'll live to see many more generations. maybe even meet someone new?

Valtalis looks at her and passes his hand over her greying hair.

I will never stop thinking about you, Asindale. When the Seldarine call to me, I will ask that I viist you and live with you in Elysium. You have my word and…watch out!

Then you watch one of the giant wall boulders slide oof its fresh mortar and threaten to crush several men as Valtalis immediately uses a powerful telekinetic force to push them all away several feet and knock them prone as the wall causes the ground to shake.

Everyone assembles around the laborers and they point at Valatlis.

He…he saved us! He pushed us all!

Asindale looks at Valtalis, who lowers his head.

That's the telekinesis spell…but you don't have it in your book. You let me read it once…how? And to push so many people at the same time?

Nara, Gilthon and Charn walk up to him.

Naruil… what was that? I know that spell, unless you copied it from my book?

Valtalis forces a smile.

My apologies, Gilthon. I did. i wanted to expand my repertoire. A wizard always needs to learn more, right?

The other wizards give Valtalis a suspicious look as Asindale steps between them and him.

He just saved those men! Why are you looking at him like he were a freak?

Not a freak… a thief. I never gave permission to copy my spells. Be careful how you tread, Naruil. that was uncalled for.

Valtalis looks at them and bows.

Fellow colleagues, a greedy mistake on my part. I swear it will not hapen again.

And then, darkness...

Niwrad
2015-03-07, 02:17 PM
Archadious continues to watch the vision of Vatalis.

Runestone was under construction, and already, signs of Vatalis's nature as a spontaneous caster were becoming apparent.

On one hand, Archadious felt nothing but fear and hatred towards the current leader of the Ward, but thanks to these visions, he was beginning to feel sympathy for the Vatalis of five hundred years ago.

But what was the reason for this prejudice against spontaneous casters? They were far from freaks, if anything, they were just as powerful as wizards.
Perhaps it was a far more primitive time.

Then, when the sentience of Runestone begins to speak, the elf begins to wonder.

What sort of inner power did he have? What sort of spark did he have within him? One that was even more powerful than this magic at the heart of Runestone? There was only one source of this magic that he could think of.

Wondering what sort of magical mark she had left with him, Archadious replies to the sentient consciousness of Runestone.

Several months ago, I was blessed by the presence of the Golden Goddess, one of the six of the most powerful individuals here on Oerth.

I did her a great service and was given an amazing gift. She has left her mark upon me. Perhaps that is the magic you are sensing within me...?

AlanBruce
2015-03-07, 05:14 PM
@Archaidous: The Heart of Runestone swirls around you as you communicate directly to it and an image of the Fey Woods manifests around you.

Yes… I see it now. You have been in the presence of a very powerful being, Archaidous. Even for someone such as Myself, it is difficult to see this being you refer to as a goddess, but is this it?

You can see Alex, Aradia, Lysa, Luthon, Jacob, Irraly, Uwellyn, casyllyn, Enoka, Silas, and Xander in a circle and can feel their hands.

It's the Sealing Ritual, performed months ago to secure Swan's Rest.

Then, the image changes to a vague white outline of a female, elven. Her right hand glows with golden intensity, like the Sun itself.

The power it radiates is unmistakable- Arrallae.

You have been blessed with tremendous power, but you aren't the only one, Archaidous. I see you are not just a wizard, but so much more. Allow me to show you the History of our Making….

The forst visage dissipates and you can see Valtalis in a room- his most likely, as he looks at several large pieces of paper stuck on the walls. The images are blurry, but you can tell they are diagrams of some sort.

The elven mage, now with his cloak red in color, walks around them and ponders as he goes back tio his desk and takes some notes.

It can be built…. but I need a source of power unlike any I have yet to find if we are going to finish off Alubastac.

That's when the waters in the heart of Runestone begin to swirl and you feel cold. Something in Valtalis' memories… a tremendous and horrible source of power that causes the memory to turn around as a deep hollow voice addresses him.

Naruil…Naruil! You know you are wasting your time here. Your powers exceed that of every other wizard in Runestone. They will cast you aside, Naruil. They fear your powers…and you know it.

Valtalis turns to face the unseen voice and stands his ground.

This is the second time you have come to visit me, foul spirit. Your temptations will not work on me. Begone! I have a city to keep safe.

The voice laughs as the waters around become a vortex.

Keep the city safe? Naruil… you will soon come to see that they will not be grateful for your help. I shall come asking one more time…and then, we shall see if you refuse my offer. I will be seeing you soon, Valtalis...

Valtalis clutches his chest as the waters in the pool calm and asindale comes in.

Naruil? I heard you talking to someone.

Uhhh…no. I was just… this Alubastac problem is making me a little stressed, that is all.

Asindale walks around and looks at the diagrams.

What is this? It looks like a...

Valtalis moves towards them and blushes.

Just some rough sketches…and idea. One I don't think I'll be using, that's for sure.

Asindale gives Valtalis a smikle and raised eyebrow.

You stay in this tower too long. You need some fresh air. Let's go. Besides- I have heard that the other mages and priests are marching towards the swamps. We are putting an end to the Alubastac menace once and for all. And you know that without you, it won't be as effective.

Valtalis kisses asindale and gives her a hug.

I am an elf and I can take sokme more punishment. asindale, whatever you do- do not go to that battle, am I clear? If you are to participate, from afar. as far away as possible, ok? Promise?

Then, the image swirls back out and once more your body wretches in pain as the mystic powers flow through you for what would seem years of arcane torment.

Niwrad
2015-03-07, 06:14 PM
Arcahdious feels chills as he experiences the unnatural power of this strange voice, and as he does another image flashes before his eyes. One of a painting found in Steiner's abode, a man in black armor and soulless eyes...

It took him little thinking to realize that this must have been the First. Was this how he had first recruited Vatalis?
At least for now, the elf was still resisting that one's advances, but after listening to Asendale and Vatalis's next conversation, Archadious was beginning to suspect what was about to happen that would drive the Archmage to a darker path.

The elf continues to watch, dreading to see what might happen next.

He also speaks out to the formless consciousness swirling around him.

I never realized Runestone held a heart of significant arcane energy at it's core, muchness a sentient consciousness. How did you come to be?

Was it one of Vatalis's contingencies against the linnorm?

AlanBruce
2015-03-07, 07:49 PM
@Archaidous: The Heart of Runestone rapports with you once more.

You wish to know how I came to be? How I managed to give all this power to this place, Archaidous? You may not like what you see...

The arcane water bubbles around you and heats to extreme temperatures as you feel the need to duck as the imagery changes to blood red skies as shadowy figures fly overhead and an army of winged knights engage them as thousands of soldiers, far better organized than in the first battle, march like one against the beasts from the swamp.

Carnage everywhere! As the shrieks of monsters are clouded by the cries of agony from the brave Halmathan souls as claw, fang, shield, and blade become one amidst the swamplands…

Several mages rise above their peers and bombard the shadowy creatures with evocations, as these are blown to bits or aside as the captains rally their forces.

March! We move deeper into the swamp! We leave none alive!!!

Then, the scene changes to the skies, as Valtalis, Nara, Gilthon, and Charn follow at top speeds through the clouds.

Nara looks below.

Our apprentices are keeping his forces busy. One less problem for us.

Gilthon casts a spell and everyone becomes wispy and ethereal.

Those are the lesser forces, Nara. The real challenge is up ahead.

Charn looks at Valtalis.

Are you sure this will work? I have not heard of this kind of magic before. It has not been tested...

Valtalis flies ahead of them with a determined look.

It will work! Remember the theories I taught you. Blades may not be able to bring down the beast, but this will. I know it!

A swarm of shadowy drakes flies towards the group as a Kobold raises a staff and a green aura surrounds the four as they become corporeal again.

I thought you dealt with him years ago, Naruil...

Valtalis halts in mid air as the creatures keep flying towards the four mages.

I gave him a chance to escape. Not this time… Fire!

A multicolored explosion fills the Herat of Runestone as your body feels itself displacing. This happened years ago, but the effects you feel are as recent as they could be- raw arcane power. The likes you have yet to feel.

When the image resumes, you watch Valtalis and the other three mages stop before a gigantic hole in the ground.

This is where he dwells. Let's get ready. As practiced.

The four mages distantiate themselves thirty feet apart from each other and begin to chant as several sigils form around the gigantic hollow.

Gilthon smiles.

It's working, Naruil! This is actuall...

Valtalis looks at him with wide eyes and a scorn.

Do not break concentration…oh no.

That's when a tremendous roar can be heard from the hollow as the sigils begin to crack and a pair of gigantic draconic eyes widen and keen as a figure emerges, but the Heart of Runestone does not allow you to see what it is, just a shadow covering all four mages.

I am the Almighty Alubastac! You would pretend to defeat me? Just the four of you? Surely you jest!

Gilthon, Nara and Charn's faces express tremendous horror, but Valtalis remains in place, defiant against the tremendous shadow that envelops all four.

They say you cannot be killed. Multiple attacks against your forces have demonstrated that. You are Legion, isn't it? But what happens when you are placed in eternal slumber, linnorm?

The other mages resume their concentration as the four mages glow with tremendous arcane energy as Alubastac roars and laughs.

A sleep spell? Poor deluded elf… that cannot work on..what?

That's when the four auras grow in intensity as the sigils begin to reform.

Then, you watch a gigantic shadowy claw strike Charn and Nara as these bounce off as both mages are protected by a pair of translucent draconic wings- a spell you have seen many times.

Gilthon looks at Valtalis, who shudders as he attempts to maintain concentration and save his comrades.

That kind of magic, Naruil… how are you?

Now is not the time, Gilthon! We need to finish the ritual!!!!

What follows is a display of arcane magic the likes you have never seen, as the Mighty Alubastac bombards the mages with fire and brimstone and unholy magic of his own.

Valtalis does his best to guard his allies, but the strain from maintaining concentration and keeping them safe is too much as the elf begins to descend.

We… we … must finish it….

Alubastac's laughter echoes through the chamber as the waters become steamingly hot.

Whatever magic you have attempted to use, failed, elf! It is now time I finish the four of you. After that, I shall destroy that city and reduce it to rubble myself!

The other wizards, exhausted, look at each other. desperation in their faces. If they cannot seal alubastac, this ancient Linnorm will lay waste to everything.

I am here too!

The four mages look across the enormous chasm and see Asindale, as she begins to chant the ancient words of power and Valtalis looks in horror.

Asindale! No! Your body cannot take it!

Yet, as old and frail as Asindale is, the sigils, strengthened by her power, begin to glow with tremendous intensity as the beast roars.

I cannot control all these powers at once… but perhaps...

That's when a shadowy claw goes through asinbdale's frail body and the mage spits blood in mid air and plummets towards the ground.

Valtalis's power grows in intensity as he looks at the others.

Continue with the Ritual!!!!

You watch the Leader of the ward disappear and reappear next to asindale's broken body as tears roll down his cheeks.

You hold on, Asindale! We can get a priest of Pelor to see your wounds. We can…

Asindale holds on to Valtalis' hand and smiles.

You are a maginificent mage, Naruil. No cleric can patch me now. It would take too much time. You need to finish this. For Halmathan…. for us. I guess… I guess I get to go to Elysium first, my love.

And so, Asindale, Valtalis' only love i his entire life, dies in his arms.

Valtalis lowers his head as a purple aura surrounds him and he looks up at the the other three mages, tears of sorrow and rage in eyes charged with arcane power as his long hair crackles with it.

With a war cry, Valtalis flies towards the gigantic Alubastac and disappears inside him…

The other mages looks at each other as they keep concentrating on the Ritual.

Where is Naruil?

Was he absorbed?

He has defected the battle...

Then, you see tears of blood surround the heart or Runestone and swirl around you as Alubastac roars and tou watch Valtalis emerge from the other side of his body. A giant heart in his hand, still pumping and carved in arcane runes.

The elven mage, covered in blood, looks at the others and orders grimly.

Do it...

The other mages look up at Valtalis with a lot more dread than Alubastac at this point as the elf growls at them.

FINISH HIM!!!

Gilthon, Cgarn, and Nara look at each other and finish the Ritual as the immense shadow begins to emit a tremndous power.

You miserable elf!!! Your victory will not be a joyous one...

Valtalis, still with Slubastac;'s mighty heart pulsating over his head as he holds it on one hand looks at the beast from above as his eyes and body keep accumulating more and more raw arcane power.

It already isn't, demon…

Then you watch Valtalis shout to the heavens as Alubasta roars as well and two imemnse Arcane and Divine energies collide, sending you spiraling through the Heart of Runestone as the entire vision goes white and you watch glimpses of Valtalis' friends, the armies below and above…

Everyone enveloped in a surge of energy that decimates thousands- friend and foe.

And then, darkness….

Niwrad
2015-03-07, 09:01 PM
Archadious watches the visions swirling around him. The ritual, the death of Vatalis's beloved, and finally the sealing away of the dread linnorm.

He feels the fear of the mages as Alubastac arises, and he even feels the pain and sorrow of Vatalis as Asindale is dealt a fatal blow by the beast.

Finally, when darkness ensues, the elf is left wondering with even more questions than before.

What manner of ancient horror is Alubastac... that despite so much magic and having his heart torn out, he still walks this World and has reawaken?

And what happened to Vatalis afterwards?

Did the other mages shun him upon learning his secret? But why would they do that when that very secret had been used to save them?

Why did all this drive him down the path to darkness?

AlanBruce
2015-03-07, 10:27 PM
@Archaidous: Who knows how many more days go by…

The sentient heart of Runestone speaks to you, as always, metally.

Alubastac is a horror of the Ancient Days, Archaidous. Steel cannot fell him. Magic, barely can scratch him, but Naruil- Valtalis, found a way to stop him…

The swirls around you envelop you slowly.

Fate, however, had a cruel hand to play in all this...

You are then sent to another vision. In this one, you can see Valtalis standing in front of a court, similar to the one held by Connor, but with Charn, Nara, Gilthon, and several other church leaders, many which you recognize by their holy symbols as Pelor, Heironeous, Muoquol, Cuthbert, Fharlaghn, Olidammara, Ehlonna and Kord.

Valtalis Naruil, it is because of you that the ancient monster Alubastac has been defeated, and the City of Halmathan is grateful for that, however...

Valtalis looks at them, his face stern, his eyes like a hawk.

…however, you displayed powers of a sorcerous and eldritch nature. Not too different from those Alubastac's vile minions employed. How long have you been hiding this from us, Naruil?

Valtalis clenches his fists as he looks at each and every member assembled.

I was born with this gift. I did not ask for it. It was given and I nurtured it in secret. My intention was for Runestone to be a place of learning. eventually, a place for all mages- learned or not- to get a proper education.

Gilthon stands up and points his finger at Valtalis.

So you lied to us, Naruil! You housed these powers that surely made you commune with Alubastac. Who else knew about your…nature?

Valtalis looks directly at Gilthon and keeps a straight face.

The only person who knew…and accepted me is now dead.

The council goes in an uproar as clergy and wizards alike discuss in high voices.

The devastation caused by your powers and that of the demon not only claimed one life, but thousands! The lands north, which we were going to expand are now swarming with the remnants of such a collision! You… you have powers that are too dangerous, Naruil. We cannot allow someone with such an amount of power to be in charge of Runestone. You are dismissed until we reach a decision.

The scene swirls away and then switches to Gilthon walking the halways of Runestone after hours, as he casts a light spell to read a book and Valtalis appears behind him, from the shadows.

The elder mage drops the book as he stands positively rigid as Valtalis whispers something into his ear, hands him a papyrus and vanishes into the shadows again.

Gilthon shakes his head, looks at the piece of paper, reads it., nods, and then picks up his book and keeps walking.

Then, another scene swirls around you as Valtalis walks into a large chamber, bereft of anything, but you can idnetify it.

It's the very place where you are now.

They want a source of power for their precious school? The one Asindale and I came up with? Very well…. but it will not be without a cost!

Valtalis begins raising his hands into the air like a conductor at an orchestra as slabs of stone move around at his own whim and desire and a large round circle of stone rises from the center, showing a pool of clear water.

They will become the finest mages Runestone has ever seen… but the day will come when they regret their actions...

That's when Valtalis takes out Alubastac's mighty heart, covered in runes and still beating.

I knew keeping you around would prove useful. they assumed I had disposed of you. You shall grant immeasurable wisdom and power to mages for centuries, but this Academy and the City itself will be tied to Alubastac for all eternity. May this be a price for their disdain against our kind.

You then look up from your trabce and see Valtalis' swirling reflection above the pool as the Heart of Alubastac is dropped into the water and dissolves, filling the entire place with the well known sigils of power ypou have seen for weeks as the heart of Runestone speaks to you and the mirage fades off existence.

So you see, Archaidous- Alubastac lives because I live. I am his heart. The source of Power of the Scholia Arcana for centuries and many more to come, as designed by the Founder himself. If one ceases to exist, so does the other...

Niwrad
2015-03-07, 11:20 PM
When Archadious learns of the true origins of the power of the Scholia Arcana, he is left speechless for several moments. So this magic was more than just an after-effect of the battle with Alubastac, this magic was Alubastac.

But why had Vatalis done this? Had he known that because of this, the linnorm would reawake?

And what was it that he had whispered to the other wizard, Gilthon. If only there was some way of communicating with the Mage, but if this vision took placeamy centuries prior, he was likely dead by now.

So this place, this magic, is powered directly by the heart of the ancient linnorm... As long as this place exists, Alubastac exists?

Has the existence of this magic have anything to do with the creatures reawakening?

I imagine the other Headmasters are aware of this?

AlanBruce
2015-03-07, 11:52 PM
@Archaidous: You look around at the ancient sigils and shudder.

To think you have been submerged in the very heart of the beast that almost caused Halmathan not to be…

And yet, Valtalis was aware of this, but what had he whispered to Gilthon? If only the vision had been a lot more clear…

You then ask the Heart of Runestone regarding it's true origins.

This place is powered by the magic that swelled during the battle against Alubastac, Archaidous. The immense backlash has remained here, in this very pool, known only to a few. As for Alubastac himself, he was never slain. Even the tremendous power used against him by Valtalis and the other mages was not enough. Who knows, maybe Valtali's keen mind designed a plan the moment Asindale perished and acted accordingly. He was the finest arcanist these lands have seen in many centuries...

The mystic waters swirl around you as the Heart speaks again.

This knowledge is imparted upon every Archmage that has been in the Scholia Arcana, Archaidous. You have piqued my interest with the powers you possess, and so, I have allowed you to see what you wanted. This knowledge is not shared by any other headmaster, except for the current leader of Runestone- Bartholomeus Crowell.

As for what befell Runestone's Founder...

An image swirls again in the water and shows Valtalis, with a black robe and ornate staff, as you have known him, standing in front of a much older group of people, amongst them, Gilthon, Nara, Charn and the other heads of Church.

One of them points his fingers at the elf, anger in his face.

Not only did you make us sign that pact, Naruil, but now we have to deal with a menace worse than Alubastac!

Valtalis smiles sardonically and looks at Gilthon.

I did not force you to sign anything, oh esteemed heads of church. Archmage Gilthon did. You wanted to unify Halmathan? There it is, on paper.

The Kordite priest, a human, attempts to jump off the high chair and leap on Valtalis as this one smiles smugly and raises an eyebrow as the kordite is maintained on the air for a few seconds and then pushed against the wall, tripping over his chair.

The other church leaders look at valtalis and the Pelorite representative stands.

Those papers have been burnt already, Naruil. It won't work...

Valtalis chuckles.

If only it were that easy. You may not see it now, Highfather of the Shining One. Your next in line may not either, but the Pact will transcend to each and every head of Church in this City- whether you like it or not.

The priestess of Ehlonna looks at him.

And what makes you think we will even build something like that?

Valtalis smiles as guards enter and surround him.

I never said you would, priestess of the Forest. And now, I will spare you what you are going to tell me- I am banished. Sorcerous powers. Manipulation of minds. Worry not, you will never see me again. rest assured.

The gaurds stand a safe distance away as the Founder of Runestone walks solemnly towards the door as Gilthon stands up.

Naruil, stop!

The elf turns to look at him, a stern look in his eyes.

Naruil is no more. It's Valtalis. So long...

The council stays silent as Valtalis leaves the growing City of halmathan and then the image swirls to the outskirts as he takes out a smnall locket and clicks it open, showing a portrait of a young Asindale.

I tried…I really did. Were you here, maybe...

That's when the waters swirl again and you feel a malevolent force in the mystic waters. Cold and sinister.

Valtalis…. Valtalis… It is the third time I have called upon you. Was I not right?

Valtalis looks at a point in space and for brief seconds, you are allowed to see who speaks to him.

It's a man, tremendously old and wrinkled, sitting on a wheelchair, with long white hair and black souless eyes.

The spirit of an elf, chained, stands by his side as this one bows to Valtalis.

Indeed you have…and you were right. What do you need, then...

A tremendous black spiral opens behind the decrepit old man as the ghostly elf in chains signals to the vortex.

All will be explained where we are going. A new Runestone. One where you will have apprentices the like nobody has seen on Oerth or beyond, Valtalis. Come.

And so, Runestone's Founder follows the spire elf and the terribly wrinkled old man into the vortex and the image swirls away.

Niwrad
2015-03-08, 01:06 AM
As Archadious had suspected several visions prior, it had been a combination of both the death of his loved one at the claws of Alubastac, and the horrific treatment from his former colleagues regarding his sorcerer nature that had finally driven Vatalis over the edge.

But why would he seek revenge upon Runestone itself? Not merely the individuals who were responsible for his banishment.

And as the elf watches the next meeting between the former Archmage and the heads of the City, he begins to wonder.

What was the danger that they had mentioned, the one even worse than the linnorm?

And what was the project the Priestess of Ehlonna had claimed they would never build? Was it the plans Vatalis had shown to Asindale?

Finally, what did the First refer to when he mentioned a new Runestone?

Thank you for these visions...

I have met the Vatalis of the present and he is nothing like the young Mage I have seen here. To think that he cared for another at one point.
So it was Asindale's death and his subsequent banishment that drove him to the First...
But that is no excuse for what he has done. All the deaths he has caused, the things he has done.

I wonder if he still has that locket though.

In that last meeting though.
What pact are the leaders referring too? What was it that they signed that Vatalis said would unify Hamalthan?

AlanBruce
2015-03-08, 01:27 AM
@Archaidous: The Heart of Runestone swirls around you as you ask more questions.

Archmage Naruil was indeed a noble elf, Archaidous. But what I have shown you is ancient history. Remnants of a tale that can be spun over and over, but the end will always be the same. Yet you claim to have met Valtalis? That is something I am not aware of. For you see, my vision extends to Runestone and Runestone only. Since I was created by the First Archmage, I was able to see beyond these walls, but no more. As for Asindale, yes… it was a cruel hand played, peppered with ignorance and hate that drove such a brilliant elf to what he became….

On the subject of what those papers meant and Halmathan's Unity, the waters swirl restlessly.

Archmage Valtalis kept that secret a mystery. What I have shown you is what I know. But if it scared the entire council, who knows what he had in mind for this land…maybe something even worse than Alubastac himself. At this point, time will tell...

Niwrad
2015-03-08, 02:18 PM
Archadious makes a mental note to ask Jace regarding the pact that the leaders of the City had signed so long ago. Perhaps the High father might know.

So Vatalis had not always been the cruel leader of the Ward that he was now, but it explained some of his bitterness, and it was likely that whatever was about to happen to the city, he had some hand in causing it.

But then Archadious's thoughts turn to more immediate concerns. Alexia.

She had once been in Runestone. Had she been in this place as well and seen its secrets?

I imagine in these past few centuries, you have witnessed much within the walls of Runestone. Vatalis may have a hand in the current chaos gripping the city, but there is another, who might pose a far more immediate threat.

Several years ago, there was a girl, a transmuter of extreme skill. Alexia Ashford.

What can you show me of her? Was she ever brought to this heart and showed the secrets of Runestone?

AlanBruce
2015-03-08, 03:23 PM
@Archaidous: You contemplate the idea of inquiring about this pact to Jace once your training is over. It would seem Valtalis may be having a hand on what is transpiring in Halmathan after all.

And if he is, this situation just got a lot more dangerous…

You then ask the Heart of Runestone about a past pupil of the Academy, Alexia.

The transmuter? Headmaster Cutter's star student? Yes, I am aware of the young Savant. She too has meditated in this pool for a long time. At the time, I was under the belief that she was to become the next Archmage and so, she too has shared the same visions as you. It would be the fickle hand of fate that would alter the course of her destiny- Archmage Crowel remained as Archmage of Runestone and she left shortly after with Headmaster Cutter. What happened to them? I do not know..

Niwrad
2015-03-08, 05:50 PM
So Alexia too knew these secrets that the Heart of Runestone had chosen to share with him.

Archadious decides to share with the consciousness the truth behind the disappearance of both the former headmaster of transmutation, and the star pupil.

What happened to the two is of great significance to Runestone and the city, both many years ago, and in the present.

Former Headmaster Cutter took a darker path and began to dabble in human experimentation. He kidnapped guards, animals, and other civilians and treated them with a strange virus that mutated them into far realm aberrations.

When the Academy discovered this, he was tried and exiled.

But what happened to Alexia, is even more disturbing.

Allow me to share with you.

He then opens up his own mind to the Heart of the Academy and shares some of his own memories. The ones pertaining to his recent investigation on Alexia.
His first conversation with her in the sewers. The horrific Novistadors and the grim fate of the fey of Hamalthan park. The strange magic-devouring flowers. The gallery of the Ashford family. His battle with Alexander. And finally, the numerous notes by both transmuters. Notes on their creations, notes on the procedure Alexia wished to perform upon herself and her subsequent hibernation, and notes on Cutters final realization on the true nature of their master-pupil relation.

The pool of arcane power had shared with him much of the past, and so it only felt right that he share with it some of his own memories regarding the present.

AlanBruce
2015-03-08, 06:39 PM
@Archmage: The Heart of Runestone stirs silently as you inform it of what Cutter had done in the past.

A sigh can be heard around the mystic pool.

Headmaster Aloyshus Cutter was a man infatuated with the concept of Transmutation, Archaidous. As a wizard, you are well aware that it is one of the most powerful schools of Magic on Oerth. The ability manipulate form… is an art many practictioners of the arcane themselves consider unnatural. However, The exiled Headmaster decided to experiment his transmutations, penned from an unknown source, away from Runestone. I am privy of what happened because I hear all within these walls, but outside, my vision is blocked.

Then, you share with the heart what you have recently discovered as the waters become cold and a black silhouette of a woman with crimson eyes forms around the pool, enveloping you as a mad laughter can be heard in your mind.

I shudder at what you have revealed, Archaidous. If what you say is true, the Cutter's pupil is alive and if she is, you may face an enemy the likes you have never faced before. Be wary, wizard. She was a prodigy at an age deemed by humans as an infant. I cannot fathom what kind of power she has attained now...

Niwrad
2015-03-13, 01:28 PM
Indeed. From the brief bit that I glimpsed of her work, I fear that Alexia poses the greatest immediate threat to this city. She seems to have plans for some sort of 'Golden Age'

As soon as my time here is complete, I will gather my allies and do what I can to end her madness.

Thank you... I have learned much in this place.

Having little else to inquire about for now, the elf drifts off and empties his mind, and begins to trance and meditate at the Heart of Runestone.

AlanBruce
2015-04-22, 05:18 AM
@Archaidous: The Heart of Runestone has rapported with your body, mind and soul as a spark of infinte Arcane Wisdom swells in your mind and the Secret of the Academy speaks to you as your eyes open again.

Archaidous! You have learned much during your stay here, and although you would have to stay, I must ask that you continue your training out in the City. I feel a tremendous spike of energy swelling within the City, even beyond the borders of my sapience. Go forth, Archaidous! You carry within Runestone's Knowledge, as well as that of a very powerful being. When you feel your powers are ready to unlock, they will rapport with me, and I will allow you to unlock more of your newfound power. Step outside this Heart, Archaidous Mithmironel... those that harness my knowledge would use it with vile intent. This, I cannot allow, but i cannot stop it. You can...

With a surge of blue energy, you float out of the Raw Arcane Pool and land at its edge as Mistress Inana Roseveil, Headmistress of Illusion, greets you alone and looks at you as she conjures an illusory mirror.

"Look, Archaidous..."

You look at the reflection and can see that your time in the Heart of Runestone has changed you somewhat. A minor cosmetic value.

Your hair has gone slightly gray, with white sideburns, yet you can feel tremendous arcane power flowing through your body as Inana walks with you up the stairs.

"I do not know what you have learned during your stay in Runestone's Heart, Archaidous, but it spoke to Merla and she spoke to me- you are needed in the City again. This time, not for the Academy, but for your friends..."

The door opens upstairs and you walk amidst the green campus as the twinkling stars shine above you and you look at everything inna completely different light.

Inana smiles and nods.

"The amount of power you have accumulated is tremendous. You may be able to help your friends. They are not in immediate danger, however..."

Inana looks at the tall Tower of Magi and then at you.

"Once more, Archaidous, Halmathan falls prey to a new threat from within. The Elysium Bliss, a drug of unknown origin and nefarious power has cliamed the lives and minds of many in the City. One such victim is Silvia Tauber, the Eastern Star. She struggles in the pelorite Temple, but not even Highfather Jace has been able to remove her malady. Whoever works this poison, is doing a very good job at it- not even Merla has been able to divine who it is."

Inana walks around you and nods as the power still blazes through your body and rapports with every mind in Halmathan as your hands and hair crackle with arcane electricity.

"Yet, that isn't the worst of our problems. The pixie, Lysa Silentwhisper, has sought refuge in the Bitter Coffee. She is now resting, but she took some actions earlier tonight and these will have dire consequences for her tomorrow, if I know Connor. Your friend Ke'era has been helping the Mercy tremendously- a true noble soul, through and through, which brings me to our next issue- Lysa wants to help The Mercy, but I do not believe she will be able to do it alone. she plans to end the threat that is Sarjon, a local warlord. Archaidous, this is your choice, and your last training. use what powers you have learned in this time of seclusion and show the City that we in Runestone are a force of good..."
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xis_kD7ALc)

Inana walks into a shadowy patch amidst a couple of trees and smiles at you as moonlight bathes over her.

"All of them show tremendous promise, but with your help, they will be able to overcome it, of that, we have no doubt. besides, the true enemy has yet to be met head on. She is likely advancing her own agenda. And we cannot interfere. As a Runestone Scholar, Archaidous, I am asking you to represent us."

Niwrad
2015-04-22, 10:25 PM
Again, I must thank you for showing me all that you have. This knowledge has given me a new perspective on the history of both Runestone and its founder.

I know not what other troubles besides Alexia await me in the city outside, but I will do what I can to use what you have taught me to help.

Farewell...

Opening his eyes once more he finds himself outside of the strange pool of arcane energy and face-to-face with the blurry image of Headmistress of Illusion.
Taking a minute to re-adjust to his physical senses, he listens to what she has to say.

After listening to Inana and following her back up into the courtyard, Archadious nods and shakes his head.

So it seems as I slept even more trouble has taken this city by storm. Warlords in the Mercy. A drug rampage in the city. And my pixie friend has gotten into trouble of her own...

I have been gone for some time, but I shall see what I can do. And I suppose the new knowledge that I have gained from the Heart here might help. I will depart for the Mercy to find Lysa as soon as I prepare some spells for the day.

The elf pulls out his spell book and finds a comfortable corner a few footsteps away and begins to go over the spells he was going to prepare.

As he does so, he looks back up at Inana (assuming she was still there).

Is there any more you can tell me about this Elysium Bliss? What has the Academy discovered regarding this strange substance?

AlanBruce
2015-04-23, 12:28 AM
@Archaidous: Runestone's Heart glows as your chest swells with a calm energy, not unlike that of Arrallae herself.

I may have been bred out of Malice and Hate, Archaidous, but remember- we always have a chance to change. Always...

Once outside the Secret Sanctum, you look at the stars above and swear that, for a fraction of a second, a titanic outline- that of a man- draws itself against the twinkling stars and looms dangerously close to the Tower of Magi as Inana snaps her fingers and brings you back to the waking world.

"Focus, Archaidous! I know that time in the Sanctum can be disorienting, but now is not the time to wander. It would seem that this City cannot catch a break- at first, us wizards were being targeted and blamed. Now, this Elysium Bliss is spreading like wildfire in the City, claiming both young and old. I know that one that travels with you is under its alluring embrace. How did this come to happen? I do not know.... As for Lysa, I heard she did her best, but she will most likely not gain support from Connor. Archaidous, we were established to help the City. Even if Connor does not want our help and condemns it, it is our duty. We will not allow Halmathan to fall, but we cannot take to the skies and wield our spells as we ought to. This drug travels secretly. Likewise, so shall we. And since I hold the position of Headmaster, I cannot get involved directly. Crowell has forbid it. My intentions, good as they may be, would ultimately be biased against Connor. He knows that, and thus, has limited my power. So, it falls upon you, such were Merla's words."

You lay by a tree and allow your mind to once more unravel the many ancient and complex algorithms in your spell books as you shut the hardcover and look at Inana for further information regarding the Elysium Bliss.

"We have fine group of alchemists here. We suspected that they may have brewed it by mistake. None of those enrolled here know of it. We have tried analyzing a sample, but the City Guard will not allow us to get one. They say that we are already too dangerous as it is. I don't think I need to tell you under whose orders were those words uttered. So, we have our hands tied for now. We do know that the Elysium Bliss gives the afflicted a tremendous state of Euphoria, enhancing their physical prowess to levels of superhuman ability, but then, they eventually die. We don't know how it works, but it is strong enough to resist divine influence."

Niwrad
2015-04-23, 08:42 AM
As Archadious pours over his thick spellbook, memorizing the spells and enchantments he would need for the day, he also processes what the headmaster of Illusion was telling him.

So Conner once again limits the power of the arcane users here to aid the city. If anyone could help stop the spread of this compound it would be the Academy.
If a substance like this is strong enough to resist even ordinary divine magic, then I suspect arcane magic of some sort might have had a hand in its making.

If I were to acquire a sample and bring it back to the Academy, would that be of any help in learning more about both the production of this Bliss and how to eliminate it from physical systems?
Perhaps either some way of removing the drug from the body, or creating some sort of alchemical compound to counteract its effects.

AlanBruce
2015-04-23, 01:29 PM
@Archaidous: Inana looks at you as you finish memorizing your spells.

Maybe you will need them this night, with everything the Headmistress has told you.

"Connor will always stand between us and the city, Archaidous. I am sure that man knows we can help, but for reasons unknown, he refuses to allow us to intervene. He has stated that, should Runestone be directly involved with any part of this investigation, we shall be branded as vigilantes. And acts like those will be severely punished! That man is allowing hundreds to fall prey to this drug, Archaidous! The churches cannot find a cure and the Police Force is not making much progress...or any at all"

Inana calms down as she looks at the Tower of Magi. Clearly, the gnome headmaster has no love for the Grand Inquisitor, and she is not afraid to show it.

Maybe that is why Crowell has forbid her to get involved. Her actions, good as they may be, would only cause further strife to the Academy and the City, should Connor use her noble intent and twist it to his own agenda.

"Yes, of course! If you can acquire a sample, I can have it studied here. It will be in secret. Merla has a lab in the Academy and she is willing to use it, but for that, we need a sample first. Get me one and then we will be one step[ closer. Bartholomeus does not need to know. And when he does, hopefully we will have a cure."

Niwrad
2015-04-23, 01:39 PM
Eyes on his spellbook and ears on Inana, Archadious listens to her response and nods in understanding.

Alright. Understood. I suppose my first goal shall be to acquire a sample of this strange compound. I shall return briefly to deliver it once I get ahold of a sample.

The elf pauses for another moment while finishing up his spell preparations.

He then recalls another matter and speaks his mind.

Several weeks prior, when I first enrolled at the Academy, Headmaster Griswold asked me to speak individually to each headmaster.

I admittedly have not been very diligent in going about fulfilling this request. But since you are here and I still have a bit left before I have completed my preparations, now seems a good a time as any.
Was there anything else you wished to speak to me about?

AlanBruce
2015-04-23, 02:45 PM
@Archaidous: It would seem Inana is decided upon helping the City, even if she has been forbidden to do so by the Powers that Be.

And somehow, your friends- old and new- are connected to this new problem.

Inana Roseveil gives you a curious look.

"You have been meditating in the Sanctum for such a long time and...of course. Silly me. Itharr must've told you that, yes... well. Archaidous, you are one of the few in this Academy to have actually been in the Sanctum, Runestone's true Power Source. The origins of the Scholia Arcana must've been revealed to you, I assume? Tell me- now that you are a scholar here, what would you have done differently from the beginning? Take your time with the answer."

Niwrad
2015-04-26, 11:05 AM
At her last question, Archadious stops his actions with his spell book completely and turns to look at Inana.

After thinking for a minute, the elf opens his mouth to speak once more.

I suppose there are two perspectives to this question as there were two main sides to this unfortunate tale.

Had I been a member of the council or one of the other leaders of this Academy, clearly the answer would be to have been more grateful to Vatalis for the defeat of the Linnorm and less hostility based on a simple prejudice. Although then again it may be easy to say that now with our current views on the arcane.

I wonder, had Vatalis used only prepared arcane magic and still unleashed the kind of havoc that he did, would he still have been exiled...?

Now, the second perspective to this answer is if I were Vatalis.
First of all, if the kind of magic needed to seal Alubastac had even the chance of such a chaotic release of energy, I would have warned my fellow mages. So would have at least had some idea of what sort of destruction the ritual might have.

In addition, no matter what the other wizards of the time may have done to him, there is no justification for him to have set into motion something that may significantly impact the lives of citizens and mages centuries later who had nothing to do with what happened to him.
As beneficial as having a power source to this school of such strength may be, it is not worth the risk of Alubastac once more awakening.

I think that had he been a better elf, no matter how bitter he may have been, he would not have stooped to revenge, nor turned towards a darker path.
Admittedly, I have not experienced what he has. I have not been betrayed by everyone I have tried to save and so I do not know if I would be able to maintain my own strength of character in a situation like that.

He pauses for a moment, wondering if he should ask his next question.

Headmaster Inana, would you believe me if I told you that I have met Vatalis in person?

AlanBruce
2015-04-26, 04:10 PM
@Archaidous: Inana Roseveil listens to your take on things regarding Valtalis. How you would have proceeded where you in his place. How times have changed since he walked Oerth regarding all matters arcane.

"I see... so you have spoken with the Heart of Runestone. And this one has revealed to you what few know regarding this school's origins. Archaidous, what you have told me is known only to potential Archmages in the Scholia Arcana. I am familiar with that story because, well... I was to become an Archmage here. Crowell considered me to replace him, but... after seeing what you have seen, I chose to waive that position. I also chose to remain silent about this, because it would have a tremendous negative impact on the school. Here we are, trying to make things better for the City, and our very founder set a ticking time bomb tied to our very fate so many years ago."

Inana looks up at the starlit skies and sighs.

"I am certain that, would events had unfolded differently, Grand Archmage Valtalis would not have proceeded differently. Still, if we have both seen the images, we should have an idea of what is at stake. Runestone cannot fall, Archaidous, for if it does, so does everyone bound to it. We must find a way to circumvent what Valtalis did so long ago... but I do not know how. Up until recently, Alubastac was not a threat. He was dormant, a legend. Now, tales of his reemergence have been heard through all the higher places of power in the city. Connor is a terrible foe, Archaidous, but Alubastac... if what the Heart showed us is true, I do not know if we can stop him."

And yet, the gnome illusionist is caught completely off guard as you mention your last piece of information.

"You have... met him? Not as a memory in the Heart? Archaidous, Grand Archmage Valtalis disappeared from Oearth a long time ago, even before you and I were born, and we live for many years. He ought to be dead by now."

Niwrad
2015-04-26, 04:49 PM
Upon Inana's claim that Vatalis ought to be dead by now, Archadious shakes his head.

I wish that were true, but he has found some way of unnaturally extending his life.

But he is a very different elf than the one we may have seen in the visions. I have seen firsthand some of his recent work, from grafts to cyst magic. He and the ones he leads have caused much trouble for my friends and I in the past year.

In fact, I suspect that he may have a hand somehow in the recent events with Hamalthan I just do not know how.

And the one he serves now, the white-haired individual with the soulless eyes, I have been told that he is a threat to Oerth like no other, not even Alubastac.

I realize this may sound somewhat difficult to believe, but I speak the truth.
I have been hesitant to tell others here about this because of how much the former Archmage is revered at Runestone, and it would be difficult to convince anyone of what Vatalis has become.

But as another who has seen the past, and how changed Vatalis had become at the end of his time here, it might be less difficult for you to believe.

AlanBruce
2015-04-26, 05:23 PM
@Archaidous: Inana listens to your words and sits on the grass as she looks at the starlit sky again.

"And to think all these years... and a bigger threat than Alubastac? Cyst Magic? Grafting... has our revered Founder become such a monster? Archaidous, I have no reason to disbelieve you- out of all the people in this City, you seem to have one of the most transparent hearts, but you need to understand- we cannot allow those here and beyond Runestone's walls to know what we have discussed. To do that would incite panic. Whatever stupid laws Connor has upon us, would just be reinforced to an even stupider degree. I will do my own research regarding what Valtalis began so long ago. I have been known to break Runestone's stricts rules as of late, and I doubt Crowell will take much notice if I am out and about, but my presence will have to be unseen and unheard. We cannot be tied to this."

Inana gets up and opens a shadowy portal.

"Sadly, I do believe, Archaidous- if Valtalis is working against us, we will have to be very careful. Runestone's Founder was an accomplished caster before the Scholia Arcana was founded. If he is still alive- be it as a lich or something else, I fear to even imagine what levels of power he has acquired in over five hundred years... be safe, Archaidous."

And with that, the Headmistress of Illusion steps into the shadowy portal and this one closes silently behind her, leaving you in a very large and desolate campus under the night sky.

Niwrad
2015-04-26, 05:46 PM
You be safe too Headmaster. Farewell.

Archadious says to the gnome as she disappears through her shadow portal spell.

Once she is gone, the elf quickly wraps up his spell preparations and closes the book.

Where to now...?

Of the two main threats to the city, Sarjon and his cronies did not seem anywhere as large of a threat compared to the spread of the Elysium. His first priority should be to obtain a sample of the compound and bring it back to the Academy for analysis. But how would he go about doing that?
Perhaps his companions or some of the other he knew in the city might have an idea on how to do this.

On the other hand, maybe he should check on Lysa. Why not do both at once? Inana had told him Lysa was at the Bitter Coffee. Perhaps he could arrange a meeting there.

He casts a sending spell to Corwin. If anyone could figure out how to obtain a sample, it would be him.

Could use your help investigating the Bliss. Need a sample for the Academy to analyze. Meet at the Bitter Coffee in an hour?

Then he pulls out a sending stone and uses it to reach Tonel.

Investigating the Bliss on behalf of the Academy. I hear Lysa is in trouble. What about you? Can you meet at the Bitter Coffee

Finally, as the morning light begins to rise, over Hamalthan, the elf closes his eyes, casts the all too familiar conjuration, and teleports to the entrance of the Mercy, intent on searching out the cafe from there.

AlanBruce
2015-07-22, 02:56 AM
@Archaidous: After handing Corwin one of your precious items of power, you look back at the gates as these close and head to the secret chamber beneath Runestone.

As you submerge into the raw arcane water that is the Heart of this prestigious Academy, you immediately rapport with its Life and Source of Power.

Archaidous, it has been awhile. Allow me to see through your eyes...

Then, the waters begins to swirl as you are tossed and jostled around as raw arcane magic lashes at you.

I feel something is... wrong! I felt it yesterday. A presence in Runestone. Something is yearning to be unbound, young elf. And by doing so, it will spell disaster to The City...and everything around it. Look...

A shadowy form takes shape in the water a few feet from you. A dwarven silhouette with a bow slung behind his back.

It's Tonel! But there are other forms that take shape- dwarven, human, angelic...all in shadow, and all chained together.

It is as I feared... someone has began the Awakening. I too have delved into my memories while you were away. Grand Archmage Valtalis have begun to set in motion the designs for Halmathan's Salvation, but this time... they will bring utter ruin! But how is this possible? Nobody has knowledge of this information. Valtalis took it with him five hundred years ago. I am afraid, Archaidous. If whoever has access to this power were to awaken what Valtalis penned so long ago in arcane manuscripts, Runestone will be no more. It will begin a chain of events that will lay Halmathan into ruin. No Power I am aware of will be able to save it!

Who would desire to bring this about?

Niwrad
2015-07-22, 10:48 AM
Archadious is reminded of the incident the previous day. So it had been the heart of Runestone that had been the author of the strange noise, and it was because of Tonel's arrival upon campus grounds. But what had Tonel done during his Church leader initiation to create such a disturbance. And who was the one who was behind this.

So that explains the sound I heard yesterday. That was you? I recall in the vision you showed me earlier, Vatalis had forced the Church leaders into signing something... something that left them under his power in some regard.
I can only hope Tonel has not become a part of this as well.

But who is behind all this...?

The elf thinks back to what he has seen so far.

If this Awakening was some scheme that Vatalis had planned, then how could it been set in motion now? Myriam had mentioned Vatalis was up to something, it was likely that whatever was going wrong in this city, ultimately led back to him.
But he couldn't be the one directly manipulating events here. That did not seem like something he would do. So who could he be working through?

Then, Archadious recalls the two individuals here in the city who seemed to have had the most influence... One in the shadows and the other in the spotlight. One a mysterious cloaked figure in the underworld of the city, and the other the face of the city's terrible regime.

Who would wish to bring about Hamalthan's Salvation you ask? Only the one who wishes to be it's Savior.

In a rush of knowledge, the elf attempts to recall everything he had seen/witnessed regarding Conner and presents it to the magic around him.

AlanBruce
2015-07-22, 05:18 PM
@Archaidous: You float within the arcane waters and watch Tonel's shape, linked to so many others.

I believe it is what the Grand Archmage who devised this, yes, but what it does... I do not know. I felt a presence yesterday. One that was violent. I have felt similar presences before, throughout the years, for centuries. They were dormant. They were not a threat, but that presence that walked above me just yesterday...it challenged my power. And so, I wailed in protest, expecting anyone to hear my cry.

The visions dissipate in the aether as you ask for any information regarding Connor.

The Heart of Runestone reverberates through your body as a vague visage of the Grand Inquisitor appears in the water and then you watch it change shape, if only for the blink of an eye, as a shadow appears behind him- one draped in a cloak and with what appears to be something on his head and then... the image disappears.

Powerful magic protects this man, Archaidous. Familiar magic. This is beyond my powers of Divination, but I have scoured my meories for knowledge of someone who might know about this... Savior.

The water runs chillingly cold as a multitude of Eyes break through the pool. Alien Eyes that look at you as fearsome presences swim about like shades.

The one who would be Archmage, Archaidous. Halmathan's Brightest Mind- Alexia Ashford.