PDA

View Full Version : Daggerspell Mage, and a ruling question.

Tabris92
2014-12-15, 06:19 PM
Was considering the idea of a daggerspell mage either as a character to replace one that dies in a campaign, or saving it for a later campaign.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68896
So that the infos out of the way.
I think it would work well, though I hear that duskblade essentially does the same thing and better, I do prefer the flavor of the daggerspell mage.

Concerns though...BaB. holy hell its gonna be low. Im looking at...maybe 12 BaB? and as TWFer im already taking a penalty for that, regardless of having a consistent way to deal out SA dies (which still need be bumped) and hitting flat footed, that still sucks, and I dont think a quickened true Strike is gonna be able to save that.

Sneak attack dice. Having that caster side and the progression that the prc gives you, I will be losing 1 caster level (but as a melee combatant with magic mixed in for utility and occasional shenanigans, doesnt seem like that big a hit imo) But I also wont really be getting the sneak attack die necessary for this to be better. the Prc doesnt seem to get a lot, and afterwards I may have to continue down the rogue class, or dip every and any class that gives 1d6 at level 1 and keep going.

Those are my primary concerns and im sure they can be circumvented somehow, though I dont know how they could be.
As for my feats...well, thats where im not sure where to go.
I dont need strength really, class is mad enough as it is. So my intent was Weapon finesse for my attack rolls. But, not adding anything to damage rolls, well..thats why I was thinkin of this. Its not necessarily an optimal choice, but its there if I really need it.
Shadow Blade Technique, and Martial study. (assassins stance) This, isnt THAT bad of a trade off, though it requires two feat slots when as it is..I feel I need more. Add my dex to damage and constantly have 2d6 extra to sneak attack die...that doesnt seem to bad right?
This cant be done until level 10 though, which means...I cant pick these up until 12 and 15.

Ah...but theres a lot of feats for casters and Im not sure which, if any, would be of use to this idea. Aside from maybe quickened spell.

As for the spells themselves, I was thinking along the lines of the illusion school and going for ray spells, buffs, and touch attack spells. (not sure which ones yet though)

The ruling question was this. Playing as an Illumian, theres a sigil that provides a boost to caster level, at 2nd level this goes to +2. effectively the same or similar to the practiced spellcaster feat.
aha..so you may see where im going with this. Awhile back I was playing around with the idea of an Ultimate Magus, my first caster ever in DnD. From what I was told and read on these forums, it should work like this.
be a wizard
take practiced spellcaster
early entry to prc (possible, because it makes your caster level higher, just doesnt affect SKL)
when Prc bumps your caster level, it goes on top of your bumped level from practiced spellcaster. (i.e. a wizard 3 takes practiced spellcaster, has a caster level of 6. prc gives level, hes now a caster level 7 with the SKL of a level 7 wizard)
effectively with the power sigil in mind, it should work the same way. However, I am unsure of this nor would I know how to explain how this works to my DM.

Sorry about the wall of text guys xD
if anyone could give in their 2 cents about all this, id appreciate it profusely.

Troacctid
2014-12-15, 06:40 PM
So the way the Ultimate Magus/Practiced Spellcaster trick works is that at certain levels, Ultimate Magus only advances whichever of your classes has the lower caster level. Normally this is undesirable because the optimal thing is to have as close to full casting as possible, and that means prioritizing the class with the higher level, not the one with the lower level. Practiced Spellcaster lets you cheat this by making it so both classes have the same CL at all times, allowing you to choose which to advance.

So say you have a standard Wizard 4/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 10. Without Practiced Spellcaster, he would have the combined casting of a Wizard 11/Sorcerer 11. With Practiced Spellcaster, he has the combined casting of a Wizard 14/Sorcerer 8. The latter is much more powerful, because he gets 7th level spells where he would otherwise only have 6th level spells.

I'm not sure what you mean by "SKL."

Tabris92
2014-12-15, 06:49 PM
So the way the Ultimate Magus/Practiced Spellcaster trick works is that at certain levels, Ultimate Magus only advances whichever of your classes has the lower caster level. Normally this is undesirable because the optimal thing is to have as close to full casting as possible, and that means prioritizing the class with the higher level, not the one with the lower level. Practiced Spellcaster lets you cheat this by making it so both classes have the same CL at all times, allowing you to choose which to advance.

So say you have a standard Wizard 4/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 10. Without Practiced Spellcaster, he would have the combined casting of a Wizard 11/Sorcerer 11. With Practiced Spellcaster, he has the combined casting of a Wizard 14/Sorcerer 8. The latter is much more powerful, because he gets 7th level spells where he would otherwise only have 6th level spells.

I'm not sure what you mean by "SKL."

SKL, as ive seen it as the short hand for Spells known level.

Troacctid
2014-12-15, 06:59 PM
Oh. I don't think that acronym is in common usage.

Practiced Spellcaster (and the Krau sigil) has zero effect on your spells known or spells per day. It exclusively affects your caster level, which is the totally separate variable that determines the range of your spells, how much damage they deal, and so on. Ultimate Magus does not change this. If you are a Wizard 3/Sorcerer 3/Ultimate Magus 1 with Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard), you will have the casting of a Wizard 3/Sorcerer 4, not a Wizard 7/Sorcerer 4.