PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer of Devils

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-28, 03:38 PM
I was trying to come up with ideas for a Devil slayer NPC around 10th level. He will probably end his days in a suicide mission into Baator, so I thought Hellreaver fitted the concept nicely. I was a bit weak at the time, so I dipped into both Fist of Raziel and Knight of the Chalice (KotC).
If I use him again at a later stage I will add more Hellreaver levels, as appropriate.

I was think something like:

Race: Hellbred
Alignment: LG
Classes (ECL 10):
Ranger 1/Paladin 5 (PHb II)/Fist of Raziel 1/Hellreaver 1/Knight of the Chalice 1/Hellreaver 2

Stats (32 point buy, racial modifiers, +2 ability increases):
Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Wis: 12
Int: 10
Cha: 18

Feats:
1: Servant of the Heavens, (B) Devil's Favor
3: Power Attack
4: (B) Devil's Flesh
6: Favored Power Attack
9: Divine Justice (FC II)
12: ?
14: (B)
15: ?
18: ?

Items:
Silver, Bane (Evil Outsider) weapon. Cloak of Charisma +2, Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, Elixir of Reckoning.
?

Comments and suggestions are very welcome, especially for feats beyond level 10 and for interesting items that fit the concept (funds are limited since this is for an NPC though).

marjan
2007-03-28, 03:50 PM
Favoured Power Attack might be good, but you would have to move one feat from higher level to level 3 feat (maybe Servant of the Heavens) in order to qualify for FPA.

Sanctify Martial Strike is good one for fighting evil outsiders.
Divine Might is allways usefull but that would need to be level 6 feat.

Edit: Sanctify Martial Strike requires Weapon Focus so you would need that too. But still it is pretty nice choice for your two feats IMO.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-28, 04:10 PM
Favoured Power Attack might be good, but you would have to move one feat from higher level to level 3 feat (maybe Servant of the Heavens) in order to qualify for FPA.

FPA is good, but I think I will restrict myself to WotC books for this. Sorry I should have said that, Dragon has many nice feats.

Sanctify Martial Strike is good one for fighting evil outsiders.
The class features cover the Good part of SMS, and I am not sure it is worth it for just the 1d4.
It also requires WF.
Furthermore, I feel the character might not be deserving of any more Exalted feats before he has proven himself.

Divine Might is allways usefull but that would need to be level 6 feat.Unfortunately I am already using my turn attempts for Divine Justice for 2d6 damage and a possibility to shake things up a bit.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it even if that is easily seen in my replies :smallwink:

marjan
2007-03-28, 04:18 PM
FPA is good, but I think I will restrict myself to WotC books for this. Sorry I should have said that, Dragon has many nice feats.

FPA is in Complete Warrior.

Unfortunately I am already using my turn attempts for Divine Justice for 2d6 damage and a possibility to shake things up a bit.

Yes, I should have looked at the feat description.

Edit: Taking even closer look at the feat it adds dmg just to undead (unless it has been changed in some errata).

Improved Favoured Enemy would be good but it is boost to dmg again.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-28, 04:25 PM
FPA is in Complete Warrior.

Of course it is. I think we have a winner :smallcool:

SotH will have to move to level 1 then.

Yes, I should have looked at the feat description.

Nahh, I do not really think that was a requirement :smallwink:

marjan
2007-03-28, 04:26 PM
Mage Slayer may prove usefull if you carry reach weapon since devils tend to use their spell like abilities often.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-28, 04:42 PM
Edit: Taking even closer look at the feat it adds dmg just to undead (unless it has been changed in some errata).

It has been published and republished numerous times, so I am sure there is a general usage also.

Mage Slayer could be useful, but it kills my limited spellcasting and requires spellcraft.
Still it might be worth it if I can find the skill points.

Accolon
2007-03-28, 04:46 PM
I know its not a feat, but what about adding SMite Evil? I'm not familiar with the PrC you named, so it might be in one of those. Maybe Extra Smiting as a bonus feat if the PrC already give smite.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-28, 04:46 PM
Taking the Serenity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Serenity,all) feat, despite being a Dragon feat, might help reduce your MAD a bit, though it would require retooling your character a bit.

EDIT: It'd allow you to swap that 18 into Wis, and the 12 you've got in Wis into Int (for an extra skill point), and you could leave that 10 in Cha. If you do that, trade the Cloak of Charisma for a Periapt of Wisdom.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-28, 04:58 PM
I know its not a feat, but what about adding SMite Evil? I'm not familiar with the PrC you named, so it might be in one of those. Maybe Extra Smiting as a bonus feat if the PrC already give smite.

Paladin and Fist of Raziel both have smite (Book of Exalted Cheese)

Taking the Serenity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Serenity,all) feat, despite being a Dragon feat, might help reduce your MAD a bit, though it would require retooling your character a bit.

EDIT: It'd allow you to swap that 18 into Wis, and the 12 you've got in Wis into Int (for an extra skill point), and you could leave that 10 in Cha. If you do that, trade the Cloak of Charisma for a Periapt of Wisdom.

The MAD is mad, but Cha is essential for the Hellreaver class also and Serenity does not help with that.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-28, 05:01 PM
Hm. Mayhap a feat that'll switch out your Wis reqs for Ranger/Paladin to Cha (assuming one exists, that is).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-29, 02:44 AM
Yes, that would truly be a feat!

Jasdoif
2007-03-29, 02:52 AM
I'm not familiar with Hellreaver. Nor with Hellbred, which might explain why I'm confused that a character with 11 (non-NPC) class levels has an ECL of 10.

Anyway. I see you have a level of fighter there, and you've taken Power Attack as the bonus feat. Instead of trying to figure out what other feat to put in, what if you replaced the level of fighter with another level of paladin (taking Power Attack as the 3rd level feat), and took the charging smite paladin variant from PHBII? Another smite per day, 10 extra damage on such smites, and no more searching for another feat.

As for other gear, someone not expecting to survive (as might be indicated by "suicide mission") might make use of an elixir of reckoning from DMGII.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-29, 04:05 AM
I'm not familiar with Hellreaver. Nor with Hellbred, which might explain why I'm confused that a character with 11 (non-NPC) class levels has an ECL of 10.

He only has 2 Hellreaver levels at this point, not 3. The notation was to remind myself that he had to take a level in Hellreaver before KotC due to its BAB requirement.

Anyway. I see you have a level of fighter there, and you've taken Power Attack as the bonus feat. Instead of trying to figure out what other feat to put in, what if you replaced the level of fighter with another level of paladin (taking Power Attack as the 3rd level feat), and took the charging smite paladin variant from PHBII? Another smite per day, 10 extra damage on such smites, and no more searching for another feat.

This is probably the best suggestion even if it costs +2 to fortitude saves.

I still would like suggestions for feats, since the party might meet him again at a later stage. Who knows maybe they will go to Hell with him.

As for other gear, someone not expecting to survive (as might be indicated by "suicide mission") might make use of an elixir of reckoning from DMGII.

Elixir of Reckoning is brilliant for him.
Go down in a Blaze of Eldritch Blast is exactly what he would do. (Even if it means suffering for all eternity)