PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Fluff] If Lord Gyr of Absalom is a Rogue13, how is he also the First Spell Lord?

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-15, 11:53 PM
The Pathfinder Wiki lists Lord Gyr, the Primarch of Absalom, as a Rogue13, but also as the First Spell Lord. This, I'm unable to come up with a source for. The title of Spell Lord, however, is exclusively one for powerful arcane casters. Not only that, but the Second Spell Lord is Darchana Madinani, a Wizard14, and that comes from the Faction Guide.

It seems to me as though the Wiki must be wrong, but... weird. In that case, do we actually know what Gyr is? Or should I just make something up for it?

Elricaltovilla
2014-12-16, 12:04 AM
Maybe he's just that good of a rogue?:smalltongue:

Exegesis
2014-12-16, 12:15 AM
UMD might be an acknowledged field of magic, and has plenty of opportunities for making him a skilled magical theorist.

Forrestfire
2014-12-16, 12:16 AM
Use Magic Device + item creation feats + lots of scrolls and money + lots of Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft can make you a passable pretend wizard. Maybe he was just that good... So good that he fooled the world about it.

Like a pathfinder Wizard of Oz, but infinitely more badass :smallamused:

Sartharina
2014-12-16, 12:17 AM
An incredible bluff check :smalltongue:

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-16, 12:33 AM
...I'm gonna go with this. I love you guys. :amused::amused:

Elricaltovilla
2014-12-16, 12:41 AM
...I'm gonna go with this. I love you guys. :amused::amused:

We love you too :smalltongue:

Let us know how your players take the news.

Forrestfire
2014-12-16, 01:02 AM
Also, a quick googling says that he's been stated to be a mythic rogue (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=529?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#26408). That probably helps explain the deception.

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-16, 01:50 AM
Also, a quick googling says that he's been stated to be a mythic rogue (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=529?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#26408). That probably helps explain the deception.

Dohohoho.

We love you too :smalltongue:

Let us know how your players take the news.

It's a plane-hopping, mostly non-serious, multiversal 3.PF plane-hopping adventure. They've seen a lot.

But I don't think they'll see this one coming.

Me: "Roll me a Knowledge Local!"
Artificer: *rolls like a 25 or some crap*
Me: "You know that Lord Gyr is, in addition to being the Primarch of Absalom, also the First Spell Lord, the most powerful of arcane spellcasters in the City at the Center of the World."
- much later, after very, very, very bad things happen -
Group+Gyr:*running away*
Group: "What are you doing? You're the First Spell Lord! Cast a spell or something! Drop a Wall of Force! Teleport us out of here! Anything!"
Gyr: "Now might be a very bad time to let the secret out, but if you're going to help me get out of this alive, you should probably know: I'm not actually a wizard...."
Group: "...F***."

Psyren
2014-12-16, 09:43 AM
"First Spell Lord" is just a title, and it means you have oversight over Abaslom's magical institutions, like the mages guilds and the Arcanamirium. You don't actually have to cast spells to get it.

Gyr granted himself the title largely as yet another way of outmaneuvering the High Council.

"But... that's just a loopyhole!"

MyrPsychologist
2014-12-16, 09:52 AM
Maybe he is only a genius in spell theory.

Like he can't cast magic or make spells himself. But he has such a supreme mastery over the understanding about what magic is and how it can be manipulated. He's like...the chief spell engineer.

Elricaltovilla
2014-12-16, 09:54 AM
"Spell Lord" is just a title, and it means you have oversight over Abaslom's magical institutions, like the mages guilds and the Arcanamirium. You don't actually have to cast spells to get it.

Gyr granted himself the title largely as yet another way of outmaneuvering the High Council.

"But... that's just a loopyhole!"

Nah man, its cannon now. Gyr totes pretends to be a wizard and is all like "Yo dawg, lemme cast that spell all Hogwarts Style, cuz wands be bitchin yo."

I would have made it blue text, but I feel that my use of "totes" is enough to indicate sarcasm.

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-16, 11:11 PM
Well, I mean, if he's a mythic rogue and he took the right path ability, then barring any direct evidence to the contrary, he absolutely could get away with that.

Crustypeanut
2014-12-16, 11:13 PM
Two Words:

Veiled Master

Psyren
2014-12-17, 09:28 AM
Two Words:

Veiled Master

...wow, that thing is scary. *bookmarks*

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-17, 05:45 PM
...wow, that thing is scary. *bookmarks*

Well, unless you're undead.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-12-17, 11:57 PM
It's a widely accepted conspiracy theory that most important NPCs are Veiled Masters.