PDA

View Full Version : Converting A Darkness Rising, Masters of the Night, Dawn of the Overmind

Inchoroi
2014-12-16, 12:21 AM
Warning: There may be spoilers for the Starter Set. Reader beware.

So. I was at a garage sale on Sunday, and saw some D&D books. They turned out to be some of the Monstrous Arcana series, specifically the Illithiad, A Darkness Rising, Masters of the Night, and Dawn of the Overmind. Needless to say, I bought them in a heartbeat.

I read them over the last few days, taking notes and such, and thought: "Wow, this would be so cool to run in 5e!" I currently have a group playing through the Starter Set, and wondered how I could tie the Starter Set into these adventures, and convert them (that's the easy part). The question is: Why would the Illithid want the Forge of Spells, other than generic magic items they can make, for use in the specific continued plot of the three adventures. Its easy to say that the Drow at the end of the Starter Set is either a willing agent of the Illithid, a budding Illithid (for those who aren't aware, the Illithid breed by placing a little bug inside the ear of their prey, and the bug grows, takes over the body, eating the brain, and transforming the now unoccupied body into a new Illithid), or another hired Doppelganger.