PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beginning DM looking for help

aphoticConniver
2014-12-16, 12:36 AM
So I've tried to come up with my own ideas and run them before, and I've found that while the ideas are solid, my skill as a DM isn't. So I'm looking at using some modules to get some experience dealing with players and descriptions better. I was thinking of running The Red Hand of Doom for my group, but what other modules, custom and otherwise, would be good for me to use?

DJroboninja
2014-12-16, 01:40 AM
One that I always like to recommend is The Shackled City -- it is a full level 1 to level 20 campaign that was originally printed in Dungeon Magazine.

However, it has since been compiled in a big hardcover book and updated for 3.5 Lots of fun, and really makes you care about the city where most of the action takes place. I've played it and DMed it.

Trasilor
2014-12-16, 12:09 PM
So I've tried to come up with my own ideas and run them before, and I've found that while the ideas are solid, my skill as a DM isn't. So I'm looking at using some modules to get some experience dealing with players and descriptions better. I was thinking of running The Red Hand of Doom for my group, but what other modules, custom and otherwise, would be good for me to use?

FYI RHoD has a nice handbook here on the forums - be sure to check it out.

The big issue with the campaign is that it is a war campaign - make sure your players realize this. Also, the campaign is very easy with 1) moderately optimized party 2) party size greater than 4. So you may find yourself doing lots of customization to beef up the enemies.

The role playing is a bit light as you group is supposed to thwart an impending army. The problem is it is very easy to roll your way to success (use the diplomacy skill to sway the town leaders and such). Also, because your adventures are constantly on the move - it is difficult for them to establish emotional ties to the NPCs they are saving.

Don't get me wrong - as a hack and slash with a small amount of politics - it is a lot of fun. Or group had a great time with the game.