PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Resources for Fate in '20s Louisiana with Voodoo

Jeff the Green
2014-12-16, 01:25 AM
So, fingers crossed, I may be moving to the city where a couple family members and friends live soon and DMing for them. Everyone but me is a pretty casual gamer and sessions are going to be irregular, so we thought Fate would be a good choice. One of the concepts I'm going to propose is an urban fantasy in 1920s Louisiana. It's got a fantastic mix of gangsters, politics, jazz, and zombies that I think will be awesome for this group.

The thing is that I'm not super familiar with the setting. I'll probably end up fudging Louisiana Voodoo to be more like Haitian Vodou because that's what I know, but I need resources on the time, the place, and the people. I'd also like to know if there's premade Fate stuff for Voodoo-like magic and/or 1920s technology. I'm not super familiar with the system yet and would rather poach someone else's ideas than try to make our own. (I suppose I could use the Dresden Files magic system, but I'd be interested in other things.)

Thanks in advance!

Joe the Rat
2014-12-16, 12:09 PM
This is why I prefer to treat early 20th century as pulp. Using an Ersatzopolis covers a multitude of geographic and historical sins. The Dresden Files FATE books does discuss this, so if you want to give Wrigley Field a parking lot, so to speak, go for it.

Broadly speaking, you are in the Roaring 20's. Guess what? So is classic Call of Cthulhu. While it does not provide the game stats you'd need, it does give you a snapshot of the technology, and some prices to get that movies for a nickel thing right. And details about little things like how income tax worked. Know what else you've got? Huey Long. Colorful politics. Also, Tommy Johnson may be out of Mississippi, but his first big recording was 1928, so you could be somewhere around the time he (or a similar character) was an itinerant musician, before (so the legend goes) he made his deal with the devil at the crossroads at midnight.

I can't help much on the magic rules side, beyond focusing on the "spirits and sympathetic magic" aspects.

Delwugor
2014-12-17, 03:40 PM
For Voodoo take a look at the Subtle Art http://fate-srd.com/fate-system-toolkit/subtle-art

Jeff the Green
2014-12-21, 03:57 PM
For Voodoo take a look at the Subtle Art http://fate-srd.com/fate-system-toolkit/subtle-art

Oh, that is perfect! Thank you.

I'm still looking for sources on 1920s New Orleans if anyone knows of some.