PDA

View Full Version : Index Need Working Tomb of Horrors 3.5 download

7th son of sons
2014-12-16, 03:47 AM
The link on the Wizards sight for the Free 3.5 conversion of the infamous Tomb of Horrors Module doesn't appear to work anymore, and I would very much like to run it for these whipersnapper PC's I'm DMing for. Anyone got one?

Also, any tips/comparisons on running the tomb in 3.5 VS running it back in 1st Edition?

Anything that needs banning? Do my PCs still need a stack of sheets? Should I provide Tissues, or make them buy there own?

BWR
2014-12-16, 04:02 AM
PCs are generally a lot more powerful in 3.x than they were in 1e. More hp, more spells, more gear, more skills, more everything. On top of that, much of the Tomb's danger lay in the PCs acting somewhat incautiously and getting into no-save death situations. 3.x design rarely if ever gives you no-save situatiuons, especially if it results in death or worse. I don't know how the conversion was done but if you were to convert it on your own I would suggest keeping the no-save, no-fair nature of the dungeon. Also, make the DCs for finding traps ridiculously high and either use lower level PCs or really pump up the power of the monsters you meet. You'll also want to avoid the 5 minute adventuring day and teleportation and summoning. I can't remember what the 1e version did but I'd have some sort of dimensional interdiction that prevents planar travel and teleportation, and putting either a time limit on the adventure or doing something else to force them to go through rather quickly. Magically resetting traps, more wandering monsters, magically shifting architecture (they've marked out a safe path through the traps the day before but overnight the traps switch position to the 'safe' path), something of the sort.

prufock
2014-12-16, 06:57 AM
I can PM you the link.

I've run it a few times for Halloween, but I've altered it a couple times to keep it fresh. What BWR says is true, but there are still plenty of effects that don't allow a save and have no in-game mechanical way to figure out, leaving only trial and error, which is fun. Teleportation and extradimensional travel is already blocked by hordes of demons that attack you if you try such a thing.

Definitely have each player build a few different PCs. They'll need them.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-16, 07:35 AM
3.5 is also a much rules-heavier system than, say, white box. So the ToH is going to take quite a while to run.

Eldan
2014-12-16, 07:46 AM
As far as I'm aware, earlier editions also didn't have things like search checks. That really makes traps both more dangerous and more interesting, if the players need to find ingenious ways to search for them or trigger them.

atemu1234
2014-12-16, 07:47 AM
The original version was fairly rules-light, so you could theoretically run most of the same stuff from the original without alteration (descriptions, the no-save-just-die traps, though the wording may be weird for a newer player) and the stats of the creatures could quite practically be ripped from the Monster Manual to fit for the level. Also, Demiliches are statted in 3e's Epic Level Handbook, so take that template and stick it on a powerful lich, you'll be fine.

Darrin
2014-12-16, 09:01 AM
Try:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070711030219/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a

Also, any tips/comparisons on running the tomb in 3.5 VS running it back in 1st Edition?

It's somewhat widely believed that the 3.5 version was "nerfed" a bit, but this isn't entirely the case. The dungeon itself is still quite deadly, but the 3.5 edition make PCs much more powerful than their 1st edition counterparts (hence the recommended PC Levels has been adjusted downward). The 3.5 skill system also makes some things easier to handle, although there are still certain traps where you have to fly by the seat of your pants old-school style.

Anything that needs banning? Do my PCs still need a stack of sheets? Should I provide Tissues, or make them buy there own?

Yes, a stack of sheets. I used a handful of pregens (gave me an excuse to build a bunch of PCs that I'll never get to play). The Naked Monk (all WBL was devoted to grafts/tattoos/non-item purchases) was quite popular.

Magma Armor0
2014-12-16, 02:34 PM
I can PM you the link.

Could you send one my way as well?

Also download at the above link doesnt work.

OldTrees1
2014-12-16, 04:11 PM
I can PM you the link.

I've run it a few times for Halloween, but I've altered it a couple times to keep it fresh. What BWR says is true, but there are still plenty of effects that don't allow a save and have no in-game mechanical way to figure out, leaving only trial and error, which is fun. Teleportation and extradimensional travel is already blocked by hordes of demons that attack you if you try such a thing.

Definitely have each player build a few different PCs. They'll need them.

I am also interested in a link. Would you please send it my way? Perhaps you can post it here(rather than PM the next 20 people)?

NotScaryBats
2014-12-16, 04:20 PM
One particular encounter I remember wonkily transitioning to 3.5 was this series of secret doors that all had to be opened with a specific gesture -- that is, one slid open top down, one was left to right, etc. All the while, a magical crossbow trap is shooting at you.

It says this in the module: "Note: Contemporary D&D® rules don’t normally
support the minutia involved in how a particular secret
door is opened; however, the essence of this secret door
complex requires this level of attention to avoid making
the navigation of this area nothing more than a mathematical
exercise."

So, there is a bit of stuff like that, but I feel the spirit is mostly intact.