PDA

View Full Version : Critique my spell list

Sholos
2014-12-16, 09:18 AM
So I'm building a 9th level wizard for an upcoming campaign and I'm looking to be around mid-optimized and trying to go more battlefield control than blasty. How does my spellbook look? I'm also trying to stay in core, with only Nerveskitter so far as a non-core spell.

Cloudkill
Dominate Person

Confusion
Greater Invisibility
Solid Fog
Enervation

Hold Person
Stinking Cloud
Suggestion
Greater Magic Weapon

Glitterdust
Mirror Image
Web
Blindness/Deafness

Mage Armor
Shield
Feather Fall
Comprehend Languages
Reduce Person
Enlarge Person
Identify
Charm Person
Nerveskitter

Scipio_77
2014-12-16, 09:38 AM
So I'm building a 9th level wizard for an upcoming campaign and I'm looking to be around mid-optimized and trying to go more battlefield control than blasty. How does my spellbook look? I'm also trying to stay in core, with only Nerveskitter so far as a non-core spell.

Cloudkill
Dominate Person

Confusion
Greater Invisibility
Solid Fog
Enervation

Hold Person
Stinking Cloud
Suggestion
Greater Magic Weapon

Glitterdust
Mirror Image
Web
Blindness/Deafness

Mage Armor
Shield
Feather Fall
Comprehend Languages
Reduce Person
Enlarge Person
Identify
Charm Person
Nerveskitter

Depends on equipment of the group, setup of the group and the campaign of course. The honesty of your DM also determines if you want to pop spells that allow saves or not.

I would not waste a slot on identify, that is a spell you can reserve for "rest days". Take grease or an extra charm person instead.

Suggestion is a good spell, but I like it better for bigger levels when I have more slots to use: I would use haste here instead, it gives guaranteed bang for your buck. I would also replace greater magic weapon with fly.

Tele spells is a must for a wizzie, so do dimension door on fourth instead of enervation. Yes, a rolled 4 enervation is awesome on a level 18 caster... but that's a rare roll and a rare situation. A good tele is awesome both offensively, defensively and for tactics... especially in combination with fly.