PDA

View Full Version : Player Help how precise can a range dealer get?

djwood
2014-12-16, 02:03 PM
for a lvl 8 ranger how precise can I get? I have a 20 Dex (+5) bonus. Because the other day I tried to hit someones ankle its like -13 that's insanse! what can I do get really precise ?

also if I get anatomy knowledge would that help?

Troacctid
2014-12-16, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you're looking for Pathfinder's called shot rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/variants/calledShots.html). There's no such rule in 3.5, AFAIK.

Khedrac
2014-12-17, 08:23 AM
There are variant rules for called shots in D&D somewhere as well, but tbh, they really don't fit with the core D20 mechanics.

One of the big problems with, say, a called shot to the eye is that if you have rules allowing it, yes your 8th level archer-type can try them (and probably miss) but the 1st level wizard will cast truestrike on round 1 and fire his light crossbow on round 2. The spell Truestrike breaks called shots mechanics all on its own.
There are other problems, but they all boil down to "if you want that sort of combat, then use a different system".

Troacctid
2014-12-17, 12:37 PM
There are variant rules for called shots in D&D somewhere as well, but tbh, they really don't fit with the core D20 mechanics.

One of the big problems with, say, a called shot to the eye is that if you have rules allowing it, yes your 8th level archer-type can try them (and probably miss) but the 1st level wizard will cast truestrike on round 1 and fire his light crossbow on round 2. The spell Truestrike breaks called shots mechanics all on its own.
There are other problems, but they all boil down to "if you want that sort of combat, then use a different system".

I don't know about these 3.5 called shots you speak of, but in Pathfinder, using true strike (or similar "always hit" magic) turns a called shot into a regular attack.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-17, 01:33 PM
What are you trying to deal to people's ankles? Cards? That doesn't make much sense...