PDA

View Full Version : Help with feat choices for my level 20 human lich wizard

Melcar
2014-12-16, 06:17 PM
So I am stuck...

I need him to be practically optimized, in terms of feats and spells, and since I'm not that good at that, I was hoping to get some help here. Any official publications are allowed. Also Dragon mag.

any comments are welcome.

Scipio_77
2014-12-16, 06:35 PM
A lich has all the time in the world. It would likely focus on crafting and exploration. Meta-magic feats will give oomph in encounters and make for a powerful spells lists...

...but to enslave pit fiends, consult with sleeping gods, build astral fortresses, walk the plane of the dead, craft powerful artifacts and unique spells; that builds true power. A lich doesn't need to topple the kingdom with his mighty spells, he can instigate a civil war from within over decades.

So basically I would go for crafting, knowledge skills and (if this is player character) bargain/argue with your DM for gathered power (undead slaves, planar allies, artifacts and unique magic).

OldTrees1
2014-12-16, 06:53 PM
Craft Wondrous Item
Craft Contingent Spell

Chain Spell
Quicken Spell

Feats that reduce the cost of the above 4

Some more RP options:
Vatic Gaze (ability to see magic is nice)
Ears of the Mage (Similar to He Who Must Not be Named)
Voice of the Mage (talk to anyone within a mile)

SinsI
2014-12-17, 12:00 PM
Must it be human? If you already decided to transform into a lich, -2 to Con is unimportant, so starting with a Gray Elf can give you +2 to Intelligence. Ebrace/Shun the Dark Chaos also gets you more free feats than human.

It might also make sense to spend 2 levels on Chameleon. Floating feat removes all need for item creation feats, and Extra Spell gives you all spells for free.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-17, 12:19 PM
Uncanny Forethought (EoE) - if you can spare the feats (it requires Spell Mastery) there are very few better options. Having any spell in your spellbook at your fingertips can be priceless.
Craft Contingent Spell (CArc) - Contingency is great. 20 contingent spells are even better. A staple of the super-prepared wizard archetype.
Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Dr#315 or 319) - add your Int modifier x your HD to your HP. You don't need to be an elf for this, 2 ranks in the appropiate Knowledge(local) will suffice. A simulacrum can serve as the required partner to activate it.

Ellowryn
2014-12-17, 12:47 PM
Are you actually 20 levels of wizard? If so they i would suggest grabbing Incantrix and Archmage instead of those last 15 wizard levels, because while wizard is good, anything that progresses wizard casting is better. Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil is also good if you want to be more defensive.

Also, look Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) for some good insight along with tips and tricks to making wizards.

Melcar
2014-12-18, 04:23 AM
First of all thank you for your replies... They are all great and will be considered when finalizing this dude....

In terms of the race and classes, I wanted to keep it pretty simple. I did indeed think of using PrC, but somehow felt, that a generic build would suit this guy... He was supposed to represent one of the 60+ liches Larloch has under his command, so to keep it fairly simple, I wanted to do a simple build on him, and for that reason also keep him human. I have been thinking of going to level 25 with this guy, and give him 5 levels of archmage as well(3.0 version).

What do you guys think?