PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice Would this be the right thing tell anyone who's looking for help in their hobbies?

Agrippa
2014-12-17, 01:37 AM
If someone was stalled or stressed about a personal project of their's and they asked you for help, would you tell that person "maybe you're not meant to do that"? I'd really like to know.

nyjastul69
2014-12-17, 02:14 AM
If someone was stalled or stressed about a personal project of their's and they asked you for help, would you tell that person "maybe you're not meant to do that"? I'd really like to know.

I wouldn't if it were a hobby. No one needs to be good at a hobby to enjoy it. I might if it were a profession though.

factotum
2014-12-17, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I agree. If it's their actual job then yes, feel free to tell them they can't cut it and they should be looking for something else. If it's just something they're doing in their free time, then leave them be.

Gnome Alone
2014-12-17, 03:43 AM
I'd be pretty reluctant to tell someone, essentially, "stop creating" without a very good reason. Like, ok, maybe if they're on the verge of a total mental meltdown over it. But even then I think "maybe you should take a break" would be more constructive. Or see if they could get some advice from a relevant expert.

Alent
2014-12-17, 03:54 AM
It would depend on the hobby, obviously, but...

"Take a break, hobbies are meant to relieve stress, not cause it. You've gotten too close and too serious, relax, do something else for a while, the answer will come to you."

It probably sounds cliche, but it's hard to go wrong with "relax".

Jay R
2014-12-17, 08:12 PM
I would listen - a lot - before I said anything. There's a lot of missing information here.

fanta5m1c
2014-12-18, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't if it were a hobby. No one needs to be good at a hobby to enjoy it. I might if it were a profession though.

Really? I would suggest the exact opposite. Hobbies are supposed to be for fun, so if you're getting all bent out of shape over one you're not doing it right. On the other hand, it just comes with the territory that jobs, even good ones, occasionally have tight deadlines or problems that are going to stress you out. Nobody should have to feel stressed all the time, but a job is worth weathering some occasional stress for.

Anarion
2014-12-18, 04:19 PM
Never the first time, but at some point if someone is having repeat crises over the same hobby, I might try to delicately suggest that they pursue something else.

veti
2014-12-18, 04:57 PM
I would listen - a lot - before I said anything. There's a lot of missing information here.

For instance: is this hobby something they're doing purely for their own enjoyment, or is there someone else involved, or liable to become involved later? (E.g. are they making something for someone else? Because there might very well be Right and Wrong ways to do that.)

Tyndmyr
2014-12-31, 12:54 PM

Sure. I'd phrase it differently, but sure. If someone's doing a hobby, and it's causing stress and worry, well, maybe it's not the ideal hobby, and something else might be more relaxing/fulfilling. Sure, give it a good go before giving up on it, but swapping hobbies is entirely fine.

Themrys
2014-12-31, 07:09 PM

Depends on what it is. If they have arthritic fingers and went into knitting, or a bad back and insist on building a log cabin from scratch, I might tell them to better do something else.

Other things, like just feeling exhausted from trying to build Buckingham Palace with matches, or copying the Mona Lisa in cross-stitch, I would just remind them that it is just a hobby and they're allowed to take a break.

halfeye
2014-12-31, 08:34 PM
{scrubbed}