PDA

View Full Version : Gray Skies (IC 1)

Business Scrub
2014-12-17, 03:33 AM
All Aboard

https://newevolutiondesigns.com/images/freebies/futuristic-city-wallpaper-20.jpg

Aah Persephone: if anywhere in the 'Verse can be considered civilization, this would be it. But unlike the billions that inhabit it, the crew of the Jade Rabbit can't stay. Maybe the black calls to them... or maybe it's just their wallets.

After a much deserved vacation on the world, you four find yourselves once again on or around the dock, with five minutes left until launch. Crowded with people, the dock is a nightmare of people and their possessions pushing and shoving their way either to or from the row of ships, standing tall like cranes in the water. Somehow, among the chaos a variety of street performers have set up, all competing for a couple of silver from the crowd.

@Jonah: Five minutes until take-off and of course the others are nowhere to be seen. Typical. But you have a job to do: getting some passengers on board this thing and send them to Jiangyin, or at least close by. You've already signed one man on: a Mister Michael Lin. The slightly short, black-haired man pulls one of his cases into the bay of the Jade Rabbit, assisted by Zadie. He looked normal enough, save for the fact that he seemed to be bringing everything he owned along with him. But hey, you were here to make money, not judge. You turn your attention back to the people before you: A mother and child with nothing but the clothes on their back and a single bag between them; a tall, physically built man who carries a nearly bursting duffel bag on his shoulder and a guitar-shaped instrument case in his other hand; and a tall, slender, smartly dressed woman in glasses standing beside a few crates marked 'Fragile'. They all look up at the Jade Rabbit with anticipation. Just as you prepare to approach them and give the typical pitch, a blond-haired charismatic man of about your build steps in front of you and speaks up.

"You folks looking at this Osprey? Nah, believe me these things drop right outta the sky. Trust them about as far as you can throw them, right? Hey if y'all are looking to get to Jiangyin, see the White Whale over there. Smoothest ride out of Persephone, I can guarantee it."

@Zadie: You can't help but think you really should hire someone to do the heavy lifting around here. What was this Mr. Lin bringing with him that took six different boxes? Six heavy boxes, not to mention. Well, at least he was helping load them into the back. You take a second to rest your arms and size the man up: he looks a bit nervous, which isn't too surprising. He mentioned this was his first time flying, but hasn't spoken up much since then. Of course he's been asking you when you leave three times in the last ten minutes, and seems to be in a hurry to get off the planet. Then again you haven't asked him much, and it could just be his nerves making him quiet.
You think back to the route you have planned: simple enough, one you've flown many times. It'll be good start off on a simple journey to ease back into work after the vacation. You check the time again: five minutes until departure. Jonah was still getting passengers, but where the heck are the other two?

@Alister: You polish off a hotdog from a nearby vendor as gaze up at the Jade Rabbit. You hadn't paid for it, but look at that! The dog's already gone. You gaze over at the Jade Rabbit, once again thinking on the strange turn your life had taken to live aboard that ship. The others would probably be bothering you get back about now.

I told you it was a long-shot, Lauren. You really think we're going to get last-minute spots to Greenleaf?

A pair of girls walk past carrying a couple of bags hurriedly. They're seemingly in the their mid twenties, more than a bit flustered looking, and (you can't help but notice) gorgeous. The speaker is a bit taller than you, brown haired, and has a Chinese accent though she doesn't appear to be so. Her friend, presumably Lauren, is shorter with blond hair, and carries a heavy looking backpack in addition to her bags.
You really should be getting back to the Rabbit but... Greenleaf is only a day or so away from your destination, right?

@Victor: With Thor at your heels, you make your way slowly back to the Jade Rabbit with a bag of market good in hand. Your crew and family on the Jade Rabbit seemed to think the food you cook just appeared out of thin air. The spice in your bag is surprisingly hard to grow in the cold vacuum of space, and you have a whole ship of folks to feed for three weeks, so they'd just have to forgive you for being a bit late. Besides, they're probably waiting on Dan anyway.
Suddenly you hear a surprised shout from behind you, and feel a hard shove on your hips. The crowded area and bags in your hand make bracing for whatever shoved you impossible, and you feel yourself hit the ground hard. You feel a pain in your arm where it hit the dirt and watch some of the spice bottles go rolling, luckily unharmed. You turn to see what hit you and notice a kid on the ground as well, his chest lying on your legs. He may have knocked into you, but he definitely got the worse end as you notice a bit of blood from a cut where his head his the ground. And unlike you, he doesn't seem to be getting up.
As the crowd parts and stares, you notice two other children looking worriedly down at him but not sure what to do.

Holy-hunter
2014-12-17, 05:33 AM
I told you it was a long-shot, Lauren. You really think we're going to get last-minute spots to Greenleaf?

A pair of girls walk past carrying a couple of bags hurriedly. They're seemingly in the their mid twenties, more than a bit flustered looking, and (you can't help but notice) gorgeous. The speaker is a bit taller than you, brown haired, and has a Chinese accent though she doesn't appear to be so. Her friend, presumably Lauren, is shorter with blond hair, and carries a heavy looking backpack in addition to her bags.
You really should be getting back to the Rabbit but... Greenleaf is only a day or so away from your destination, right?

Alistar's feet are in motion and he finds himself following the girls before a thought has even entered his mind.
"WHAT!" He shouts with equal parts anger and dissapointment, raising his hand to his ear as tho he is holding some small comm's device.

"But I worked so hard to sort out their connections to Greenleaf" he whines over his fake conversation.

"Ungrateful old gits" ..... "How am I suppose to find replacements now? On such short notice?" ..... "Aghh" .... "Fine, I'll try"

He slips the imaginary phone into a pocket. "Jerk" he mutters to himself as he picks up the pace, suddenly under pressure and urgency.
He then 'accidentally' bumps into the girl carrying the most baggage.

"Oh my, so sorry" he says apologetically as he offers her assistance and his most charming innocent grin.
"Woah, I don't know how I didn't notice you there, your absolutely gorgeous"

Kynwric
2014-12-17, 02:54 PM
Where in Ta Ma Duh is Ali? He should be doing this work. Zadie grumbled to herself as she hefted the last of Mr. Lin's boxes to bring it up into the Jade Rabbit. Finally, as they were setting the last crate on the deck of the hold she let out with an exasperated, "Did you pack the whole house Mr. Lin? These were awfully heavy." She waved her hand dismissively before he could answer, "No, I don't need to know that... and we'll be taking off as soon as everyone is on board. 5 minutes tops. Now, if you'll follow me, I'll show you to your berth and then I have to finish pre-flights."

Space Lawyer
2014-12-17, 04:27 PM
Victor

Vic shakes his head, and gathers up the spice bottles. The kid was important, but the saffron had cost a stack of platinum longer than his hand. He puts the bottles in the bag, and pulls out a first-aid kit. He grumbles at the surrounding children "Move back. Let me see him."

He checks the wound, washing it off with a bit of water. With a small flashlight, he checks the kid's eyes, looking for a response. He puts antiseptic in the wound, and stitches and bandages it.

2014-12-17, 06:21 PM
Jonah observes the people before him, taking in various details as he sized up his potential customers...and his lackluster competition. Hearing the man's attempt at mudslinging, he gave an overly loud snort. "Ospreys falling from the sky? Maybe during the war, after taking heavy fire. With ships this well-made, age isn't a factor; ships like this are too stubborn to die, and this old bird's about as tough as they come." As he speaks, he finishes approaching the group, an honest, good-natured smile gracing his face. "If you folks are looking for passage, you won't find a better ride than you'll get in the Jade Rabbit." Seeing the man about to interrupt, he continued "Now I won't say the White Whale can't get you where you're going, but if you're wanting to do it in a timely manner..." he trailed off, "...well, they don't call it a whale for nothing."

"But seriously, nowhere is too far for the Jade Rabbit! So, where are you folks heading to?"